PDA

View Full Version : Packing help for 15 month old.

dumbo10705
10-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Hello,
I need help, we will be going the first week of dec with my parents and 15 month old baby girl. I always pack to much for her in general, but I am afraid I will get out of control for disney. What should I bring? We will be flying from NY, so I know to bring something warm for her when we get home. But what should I bring. We are staying at Pop. Any helpful tips, advice or words of encouragement will be great. I am so excited to bring her there, I know she will not remember it, but with my husband who can't stop taking pictures of her, she will have things to help enjoy it later. Thank you :mickey:

wdw_bound
10-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Will you have a car at WDW? If so, plan on going to Walmart/Supertarget to stock up on baby supplies (diapers, etc.) If not, Look into either shipping a care package down or placing an order online for delivery at your resort.

Things we found invaluable: our Bjorn baby carrier, pre-measured baggies with Dreft (enough for a couple of loads every 3-4 days), sunblock, wide-brimmed hat (even the December sunshine will be stronger than she's used to), disposable sippy cups (not environmentally friendly, but still really helpful), bedding from home to make the pack-n-play seem more familiar.

In December, it can be very warm or downright cold from one day to the next. Keep a close eye on the forecast, and then pack a few outfits that are not called for, in case things change while you are down there.

Have a great trip!:mickey:

3AMommy
10-15-2008, 12:29 AM
We just went this summer with our DD who was 16 months at the time. She did great!!! And you're right, she won't remember this vacation...but you will.

I packed more clothes than I needed but then ran through them like crazy. Definitely plan on doing some laundry there, but take an extra outfit with you to the parks in a ziploc. Plenty of swim diapers too. Ditto with the sippy cups, but also take some baby spoons. We just got a pack of little plastic ones. Disposable bibs. Lots of wipes. Oh! Bubbles!!! Great for tired/cranky babies.

Try to be the first one to Tinkerbell's Treasure on one of your MK days. Then she can be the first to wake up Tinkerbell!!! We got to do this and it was awesome! Be sure to record it!

Boy, I am so excited for you!!! I can't even think of anything more right now....I will think and get back to you later!!!

3AMommy

LittleRoosMommy
10-15-2008, 07:03 AM
We have taken both of our DDs to WDW for the first time at 14 months and 15 months old. You're definitely going to have so much fun!!

You may want to think about shipping a box to yourself at your resort before you go. I have done this several times and it is well worth it (especially now w/ the airlines charging for extra bags, etc). In the box I put diapers, swim diapers, wipes, sippy cups, extra valves for sippy cups, plastic utensils, disposible bibs, snacks, pacifiers, dish detergent, dish cloth & towel, ponchos, etc. Anything that is heavy or that I won't need as soon as we get to the resort. I only take like 2 sippy cups for each of the girls and then extra valves for them. At night I wash out the cups. This saves from taking a ton of cups with you.

Definitely take things that will make you daughter comfortable; special blanket, stuffed animal, etc. I would bring your own stroller as well, especially if your daughter is used to napping in there.

I also tend to overpack, but I usually go through most of the clothes that I take for them! LOL Take an extra outfit into the parks each day, you never know if you'll need it.

Hope this helps!

Flower
10-15-2008, 09:28 AM
We took Ben at 4 months, 11 months & 14 months...

Having a grocery delivery to our room was invaluable! I had diapers, wipes, baby food, snacks, juices, milk, etc delivered - I placed the order a few weeks before we left and it arrived as promised within the delivery window. If this is something you are considering - BOOK IT NOW as the delivery times will fill up. Also, you can cancel it prior to your trip if you need to. The delivery fee was $12 but well worth it. (If your order is over $200 delivery is free)

Take advantage of the baby care centres offered at all parks. It is a quiet place to change, feed & allow your little girl to play quietly.

Take your own stroller - you can use it at the airport and check it as you get on the plane, that way it is there for you as soon as you leave the plane.

Take dish soap to wash bottles, etc. If doing grocery delivery buy a small bottle so you don't have to worry about leaks.

Take medications. For some reason my kids get sick at least once on vacation and so we are not running all over the place trying to find stuff I have learned to bring it with us. If I bring it, I won't need it!

minnie-mouse
10-15-2008, 01:04 PM
If your budget will allow, I always liked those disposable sippy cups and spoons, that way you don't need to worry about washing them or losing them. Definitely suntan lotion and hats, no matter what time of year. Light jacket or sweaters, good to dress her in layers, december night can be chilly. Some new hand held toys and snacks for plane ride to keep her busy.

Doesn't matter that she won't remember the trip - you will and it will make for great memories. I took my DD at that age and she loved it! Have fun!

Janmac
10-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Definitely bring a hat, mittens, and jacket. One evening - about 8 pm - during our last December trip the temp was 45 degrees. I didn't even try to find out the low temperature that night. We were so cold.

Also, the sun hat, sun screen, etc. The next week the day time temps were in the 80s with overnight lows in the 60s.

When traveling with our grandniece at that age, I would bring at least 3 outfits per day, for about 3, maybe 4 days and then do laundry.

We were very happy with Garden Grocer on our trip last month. It was so nice to have stuff delivered. We did drive down and so had transportation, and did go out for fresh produce a couple of times, but not having to shop that first day was so nice.

Enjoy!

Jan

Belster
10-15-2008, 08:52 PM
I am another person that just shipped my package to Pop, it included many of the items that the other posters stated. I would say that the take and toss cups and spoons/forks are great! I am also a big fan of having your own stroller, it is a wonderful thing!

Enjoy!

dumbo10705
10-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Thank you for all of you help. We will have a car and will just run to Walmart for diapers and etc, it's silly to pack them and waste precious space. I can't wait till we go, but at the same time I am a bit nervous with the plane ride & etc. :mickey:

Flower
10-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Thank you for all of you help. We will have a car and will just run to Walmart for diapers and etc, it's silly to pack them and waste precious space. I can't wait till we go, but at the same time I am a bit nervous with the plane ride & etc. :mickey:

AHHH....BUT - if you pack them in your luggage and use them while you are down there - that frees up more room in the luggage to bring home souven'ears!;)

teambricker04
10-18-2008, 06:58 PM
When we were down for two weeks we had some things shipped down... like diapers, wipes, fun things, some extra shoes, food, etc. If we had rented a car it may have been different, but we really liked having it in our room when we got there.

I just purchased some sippy lids that go straight onto water bottles and plastic bottles of juice. I used them on the plane yesterday coming home from Grammy and Poppa's for my 16mo and they were perfect. My older DS who is 3yo liked drinking out of them too. I am bringing a bunch of those on our next WDW trip. (I got them from a big box baby supply store... you know the one.) I also bring disposable sippies now... such a pain to wash them.

Don't worry too much about the flight! You will be fine! Just make sure that you have enough time to get through the airport, but not too much time. We have gotten there too early a couple of times which has ended in meltdowns before we even get on the plane. Will your DD be a lap child? If so bring your carseat to the gate and gate check it. Sometimes if there are extra seats little lap people can get their own seat, but need a carseat to do so. I always make sure to have plenty of snacks and a few toys. One thing I know will keep my kids attention for a long period of time. My little one enjoys a calculator... really.

I say plan on doing laundry at least once. It isn't terrible expensive to buy the detergent at WDW, but you can save a few extra dollars by getting travel sized ones at the grocery/discount store.

I agree... if you pack some disposable stuff in your bag you can bring more back! Plus, if it gets cold, buy a sweatshirt! We always get a beach towel to lay over DS when he is snoozing in the stroller.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-18-2008, 08:33 PM
a real stroller cover... It was invaluble to us! we had it in the bottom of our diaper bag each day... and tho we only used it twice... we were SOOO happy to have it!

azdisneymom
10-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Here is a tip I hadn't really thought about, if your kids are being potty trained - take an extra set of clothes for the adults.

At Finding Nemo at the Animal Kingdom a large family was sitting next to me. Grandma had her dgd sitting on her lap to see the show. Well you guessed it, in all the excitement the little girl just couldn't wait. The parents had an extra set of clothing for the little girl and were able to change her right away. Grandma had to go back to the hotel soaking wet. :blush: