PDA

View Full Version : southwest credit

scootch713
10-14-2008, 07:34 AM
can you only call for credit if a ding fare shows up or can you call for credit just when the fare is lowered??? It is amazing, it is cheaper to book for November now, than it was months ago! thanks.

BigRedDad
10-14-2008, 07:54 AM
If you booked online, simply do it there. Lock the new tickets you want to purchase in a browser or new tab first. Then, cancel your reservation in another browser or tab. Once complete, finish booking at the lower fare using your credit.

DizneyRox
10-14-2008, 07:56 AM
You can't "call", you cancel your reservation and use the "credit" on your reservation to book the new one, all done online. The difference will be held on your old reservation number for future use.

Always remember to book ONE WAY if you're looking to work the system. If you have round trip tickets, you'll need to cancel the whole reservation and rebook them. While it may be cheaper for one leg, it may not be cheaper for both.

scootch713
10-14-2008, 08:29 AM
thanks.....

scootch713
10-14-2008, 06:13 PM
This is on my original confirmation... not sure what it means...

Fare Rule(s)
Valid only on Southwest Airlines. NON REFUNDABLE/STANDBY REQ UPGRADE TO YL All travel involving funds from this Confirmation Number must be completed by the expiration date. Any change to this itinerary may result in a fare increase.

Is that on everyone's?? I did partial pay with gift cards.

DizneyRox
10-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Basically standard terms. Refund is only good on Southwest, and needs to be used before it expires. If you cancel, you have one year from the date you orignally booked to use the funds, otherwise you need to appeal and they will take $50 for each ticket and you will get the rest extended for a few more months.

And just a disclaimer that fares may go up not down, so don''t expect a lower fare to be released.

scootch713
10-18-2008, 01:57 PM
thanks.. I ended up with a $75 credit.. will use that for our disney cruise next year. :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
10-18-2008, 05:32 PM
thanks.. I ended up with a $75 credit.. will use that for our disney cruise next year. :thumbsup:
Credits must be used within one year of the original BOOKING date. Not RESERVED within one year, you're going to need to fly (like be airborne) within one year of the date you first purchased that ticket (clicked submit on southwest.com).

At least that's how I understand the restrictions, and you may still be OK, I don't know... Just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of the procedures. Southwest has been my air carrier of choice for a while, but navigating the red tape and legalease is sometimes tricky.

mudpuppysmom
10-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I just had to call them yesterday when a DING came out for PIT to MCO. I had booked our going down flights only (I've been waiting for a DING and not sure we'll be going anywhere in the next year since we have a baby now). Anyway, I went to cancel our original flight and their online system was down for over an hour, so I called before the DING flights disappeared! The woman on the phone said they could be cancelled but once I bought a DING fare THEY could not be cancelled and reused as a credit. So, I'm not sure if you book a DING that you will be able to use any extra credits if there would be any.

Just a side note....our original fare was 89 going down from PIT. I had been telling my sister for about a week that it was going to happen. I looked yesterday and the fares were 109$. I hung up from talking to my sister and DING happened......they were 74 each way, not that much on "sale" but still less than what we originally booked at. I don't think they'll get any cheaper, but for SW having hedged their fuel costs for a few years you would think they could have better DING's!!

Fangorn
10-19-2008, 12:01 AM
The woman on the phone said they could be cancelled but once I bought a DING fare THEY could not be cancelled and reused as a credit.

This is just flat NOT TRUE. Any Southwest flight can be cancelled with a credit being issued immediately. Those funds can then be used immediately to book another flight. The only caveat, as has been mentioned, is that the credit must be used (meaning the new flight completed) within one year of the original purchase date (not the original flight date).

I do this all the time. My business has me doing a lot of travel and Southwest is my airline of choice. I regularly book DING fares in anticipation of trips that aren't confirmed yet. If the dates I've booked end up being off a day or two, or don't happen at all, it's not a big deal - I just cancel the reservation and use the credit to re-book for the correct date.

Steve