PDA

View Full Version : O'hana's or Whispering Canyon? and more

mrmcgiv
10-13-2008, 11:12 PM
New here.....My husband, kids and I are going in December and wondering what is better for dinner with DD 7 and DS 4, kids are NOT picky!

First: O'hana's for Breakfast or dinner? I know they have charcters for b-fast, but dinner sounds fun. I personally am not a fan of b-fast food but would do this one B-fast biffet if the kids would love it.

Second: Ohana's for dinner or Whispering Canyon for dinner...or BOTH?

I would love to see the WL, esp with the holiday decor, not sure if POLY has great decor at xmas.

third: How about the Sci-fi drive in. There are so few sit down dinners that sound good at DHS, what about this, or would you plan to take the boat to Cape may Buffet? Or is there another resort that we could access easily from MGM?

We went once before in 5/2007 and had a great time and dined at
Captain Jack's - so so at best
Chef Mickey's - LOVED it:thumbsup:
Crystal Palace - good characters, but it was breakfast which I do not like:thumbsup:
Yachtman's Galley (I think that was the name, a place in Beach or yacth club) Last minute and liked it a lot:thumbsup:
Hollywood and Vine - so so, good buffet, not so great atmosphere
Akershus - Loved it:thumbsup:

Thanks

KatMark
10-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Personally, we won't be going back to WCC any time soon. DH got sick on the skillet and I thought the food was way overrated. We have heard great things about Ohanas at dinner and we are trying it next year. We haven't done Sci-Fi in awhile but we always liked it when we did (great atmosphere). We've also done Cape May Cafe Buffet for dinner--I liked Sci Fi better.

javamama
10-13-2008, 11:27 PM
We loved O'hana's for breakfast last year, and my kids who are both toddlers at the time aren't very picky either they eat lots of ethnic foods--any place that does eggs to order is great in my book, plus it's family style so I'm not lugging two plates around picking off a buffet---I'm not a buffet person at all.
We've done Whispering Canyon for breakfast only also, back in '97, and in '07 it's cute--food was ok you eat out of a skillet---I love the WL though it's beautiful.

One of our fav's is Le Cellier steakhouse, it was great last year, we also love Kona for dinner(it was nice and easy since it was in our resort fast simple meal awsome desserts) Every year we go for something new at least 3 new places to try, this year it's California Grill, Japan in Epcot since the kids will love the show part of it, Yatchman's, and Fultons Crab at Marketplace.
Enjoy the decor, and have a great time!!

mdhiggin
10-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Ohana has the best food. We couldn't see the grill from our seat, but the food was entrancing enough. WCC had decent food with great atmosphere and interaction with the waitress, and of course the ketchup thing. SciFi's food is not very good. Stick to sandwiches and stuff at lunchtime there. The atmosphere is really neat, though, so we always go back.

These were rated in order of preference.

Tink#64
10-14-2008, 12:26 AM
We really enjoyed O'Hana's for dinner. The food was good, presentation was very nice! We really enjoyed looking around at the Poly, it's a beautiful resort!

WCC at the WL was a lot of fun! Also for dinner & it was loud & rowdy, I have 2 DS', it was right up their alley! We had the family style dinner & DS's ate much more there, (comfort foods compared to O'Hana's!) and the WL was just WOW! We even went out & watched the Floating Electrical Pageant afterwards, which you could also do at the Poly.

We have lunch at Sci Fi every trip! It's always on our must do list! We do enjoy the food, it's not five star, but that's not what we go there for! It's decent & the atmosphere & the theming is totally unique! We've never eaten anywhere like it, it's always a fun meal for us! :thumbsup:

Natazu
10-14-2008, 05:01 AM
The dinner at ‘Ohana is hard to beat. The food is wonderful and there’s fun stuff for the kiddies just right for the camcorder.

Whispering Canyon is another fun place for the whole family but the food doesn’t measure up to ‘Ohana. It’s a fine place for a family dinner and the lodge is beautiful but if it comes down to a choice, go with ‘Ohana.

The MGM launch goes to the Boardwalk where you’ll find Flying Fish and Spoodle’s and of course Beaches and Cream at Beach Club. There are also taxis to McDonald’s which would also be better than Sci-Fi. ;)

BigRedDad
10-14-2008, 07:58 AM
OHana's is great for breakfast and dinner. We did both last trip and on previous trips. The food and atmosphere is incredible. We are trying WCC next month because we are staying at WL. We may decide on the skillet or order from the menu.

Luv Eeyore
10-14-2008, 12:53 PM
We had heard such great things about 'Ohana's that we had to try it, but we did not have a great experience. Thinking it might be just a fluke, we tried it again the next trip, and didn't have any better experience. We've always had a lot of fun at WCC. As for Sci-fi, it's ok for lunch, DS just loves it. We never miss going to Cape May Cafe for dinner though - it's a must for every trip according to DH.

DisneyFr33k
10-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Ohana for dinner is the hands down best. Whispering Canyon - we did this several years ago. It was noisy and cramped. My sister and her family highly recommended it due to the antics, but we walked away less than impressed with the experience and the food was average. Ohana - the food is wonderful and they do lots of fun things with the kids.

Sci Fi Drive in - we did this one as well. The food is average, and very small portions. The videos are alright, but only last 5 minutes before re-running them. The 50's Prime Time Cafe is far better in food and atmophere. I've also heard good things about Mama Melrose's - we're eating there next week on our annual trip.

Verolovesdisney
10-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Hello MRMCGIV, here is what I can help with.

We ate at O'Hana's for Dinner last year and truly enjoyed our meal; oh so much food! All the starters are very tasty, especially the wings and the meats were nice and tender. Indeed, there are no caracters at Dinner, but it's almost nice to have a break from them, and there still lots for the kids to do; coconut races, dancing, etc. Lets just say that we've tried a bunch of the caracter meals over our last few trips, but this is the one restaurant our kids keep saying they want to try again. If you time it right and are sitting in the right spot, you'll also get to see the MK fireworks. The one thing to remember is to make sure not to eat too much of the starters, cause by the time meat comes by, you may be already full...;)

As for the Sci-Fi, we ate dinner there back in 2004. The food was average at best and I found that the "Drive-In" novolty kind of whore off after about 15 minutes. I think it would be neater if they showed longer clips, just felt like the same things kept playing over and over. Kind of a cool place to try, but I would have a late breakfast, go here for a milkshake early afternoon and have a late Dinner.

Have fun planning!

elmjimmlm
10-17-2008, 01:18 PM
My DH loves Ohana and we are going back in Dec. for dinner...Our kids loved this meal and disliked WC and I agreed...
Sci Fi is IMO more for the atmosphere than the food...Not to say that we didnt like the food, it was good...We loved it and are planning on returning in Aug...I know that WC was a "been there done that" restaurant...It just wasnt for us...

KylesMom
10-17-2008, 02:48 PM
In answer to Ohana for breakfast or dinner, we prefer dinner (DH, DS-10 & I).

If we were able to do both Whispering Canyon and Ohana, we would. If we needed to make a choice, we'd choose Ohana over Whispering Canyon.

We've always enjoyed our lunch at Sci-Fi. The burgers and onion rings are great. We've never tried dinner here, though.

Our favorite TS place to eat at DHS, however, is Mama Melrose! :thumbsup:

JenniferS.
10-18-2008, 12:00 PM
We loved Whispering Canyon!! Especially the bottomless milkshakes. I did O'hanna's for breakfast and that was nice. We've been to sci-fi and really the only good thing is the atmosphere. I won't be going again. We have been there 3 times.