PDA

View Full Version : Post Hurricane Ike Fall Fun "Redo" Trip Day 5

angel8783
10-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Day 5- Epcot, Food and Wine Festival

Today was our first all day Epcot day. We were out late the night before at the Halloween Party and I was getting a full on cold by this time, so we slept in until 9am and watched some Regis and Kelly while getting ready for our day. We got to Epcot by about 10:30 and headed straight for Soarin. This is my favorite ride! We decided to wait in standby because the line was not that long. DH and I never stand in the regular line on this ride, so while I had heard the line had improved as far as entertainment goes, I didn’t know how. They were playing these interactive videos on the screens and you could bounce balls that were on the screen and basically have fun while waiting. There were sensors tied to the videos that picked up your shadow and allowed you to move your hands to do things like “grow trees” and “bounce balls”. DH played and he loved it!
After no more than a 15 minute wait we were waiting for the pre-video to come on. I love the actor who does this video. We know him best from Seinfeld and from The Emperor’s New Groove. After boarding we soared over California! Can’t recommend this ride enough!
After Soarin we headed straight for World Showcase as it was now open and we were hungry! Today was our Food and Wine Festival day. For lunch we used our snack credits and sampled different things from the booths. We started near Mexico with Argentina. I had some kind of steak with a green sauce; it was very garlicy and very good! We stopped in Mexico to ride the boat ride. I have to say that I kind of miss the old music. I don’t mind the new Donald footage, but I miss that music because DH used to sing with the ride, and he made it so entertaining! Now we still sing the old melody, but not on the ride anymore.
We made our way over to Norway next where we rode Maelstrom. With all the things that happened last time, I didn’t get to ride this and I actually really enjoy it! It was 0 wait. We left Norway right after that and went over to China. DH was hungry as he hadn’t come to any booths he wanted to try yet, but I really wanted to see Reflections of China. I had never seen this film before. I guess as you get older you start to appreciate all these things more. I have become enchanted by all the Disney podcasts out there and one of the things they do is talk about all the little details. I think this film is probably overlooked by a lot of guests, but it is so good! They had to get special permission to even get this footage and even then they were watched very carefully, so it’s amazing we even have this film to watch! While waiting to see the film DH got some pictures of the Tomb Warriors. After this, we absolutely needed some more food. DH was famished and I decided now was a good time for School Bread. I walked back to Norway and DH stopped at the China booth to get something to eat. The School Bread was very good, but the topping seemed different to me… maybe different icing or something, I’m not sure. DH liked whatever it was he got and he finished off my School Bread too!
We went on our way towards Italy and stopped at some of the booths to try more things. I think I went to the Africa booth and the Australia booth. DH went over the Germany and Ireland booths and tried a couple of things. We sat on a bench and enjoyed the scenery and the peacefulness of Epcot on a Monday. It was not busy at all! We took some silly pictures and I took pictures of the Epcot ball from my bench right outside Germany/Italy. Next was Italy where DH only stopped for some pizza. Then there was the American Adventure! I had seen this show a few times, however did not appreciate it. Once again I had been hearing the audio from it for a year now and I wanted to see the show. Before we went into the building we stopped at the Pearville Exhibit. The Pear association was having demonstrations and selling different pears. We bought a sweet crisp variety and shared it. I love pears but don’t buy them often, so this was something different to do. After our pear adventure, I walked to Japan next door and got some Plum Wine to drink while waiting for the American Adventure show. I do love this wine, but I don’t drink very often, so it doesn’t take much to get to me. DH and I sipped down the little cup together. About 20 minutes before the show we went into the building to hear Voices of Liberty. Wow!! These singers are amazing and you really should sit underneath the dome to hear them the best. After their 15 minute show the cast member walked us up to the entrance to the theatre and then let us in. By this point I was feeling pretty run down. The cold was in full swing and I had been going for several hours on appetizer sized portions only. I was tired and it was about 2 something in the afternoon. I hate to say it, but I dozed during the 1st half of the show. The 2nd half was great, but I still felt that I missed it and I had really wanted to see it and appreciate the show… so I vowed to come back before the end of our trip.
We moved on past Japan and into France. We had seen the film here the night before, so we skipped it and instead watched the funny waiter guy and all his chairs. I think he is part of the World Showcase players. I got a chocolate crepe while I watched him and had a seat. After his show, we wandered through the UK and into Canada. Off Kilter was not playing today, so we just went to the Canada Circle Vision. I love the new one with Martin Short! The film here is my favorite circlevision that I have seen in Disney. And Martin Short is just too funny! After we left the theatre, we still had some time before our Coral Reef reservation and so we decided to go to the Living Seas and ride Nemo and see Crush. The Nemo ride was a walk on. This ride is only ok, but an alternative to the great submarine ride in Disneyland. I have never been on that one, but I have seen the ride footage and I really want to see that version. After Nemo, we waited about 10 minutes for Crush. DH loves this attraction! He told me he couldn’t wait to see Crush. When we went to Disneyland we did this attraction and he got to ask Crush what kinds of games he likes to play… Crush answered something and then turned the question back to DH… his answer… Doom. That’s right, the blood and guts crazy space Alien like computer game Doom… that was all DH could come up with on the spot... I mean, he could have said Mario Kart or Guitar Hero, but no, it was Doom! Still, ever since he talked to Crush my late 20’s DH has loved him!
When we were done talking with Crush, it was time for our Coral Reef reservations. I had not been to this restaurant in almost 10 years, so I was looking forward to it. We were seated in a very busy restaurant at the aquarium wall!! It was so fantastic. I ordered the Mahi Mahi and DH ordered the steak. We both had the chocolate wave for dinner. It was all fantastic!! While sitting next to the aquarium we saw a big sting ray, a shark, and some very funny divers! The divers were making out that they wanted our food and they were playing games with each other while we watched. It was so funny!! We also talked a lot to a retired couple sitting next to us (the tables that are 2 seaters are so close together). They had both worked for HP and we heard all sorts of stories about the old company culture and what had become of the company in their opinion. It was interesting. Neither DH nor I work in large corporations although I do have a lot of business classes under my belt.
After our fabulous dinner at Coral Reef we shopped some at Mousegears which happens to be my favorite store in all of WDW, even more than World of Disney. After shopping, we went back to World Showcase to find a place for Illuminations. We decided to chance getting a seat right there at the front, across the lagoon from American Adventure. They rope it off and then let you in if the smoke won’t be coming your way. I think this is the closest you can get to the middle of the lagoon, which is why the fire marshall decides if you get to sit by the railing or not. While we waited to talked to a nice family who were on their first trip to WDW with a 10 and 12 year old girl and boy. I tried to convince the Mom that she should think about taking her kids to the Halloween Party. She thought it was too kiddy for her “older” children. I laughed and told her we were in our 20’s and we loved the party! Not sure if I convinced her, but she seemed to be considering. They let us past the rope and to the railing and I watched my favorite fireworks show for the first time that trip. The music and the story they tell is so great! I also just love the music they play before the show all over World Showcase. The atmosphere is just the best there at night.
After Illuminations, we made our way to the bus stop and back to our resort. The next day was to be a toss up… we had no idea what we would do , all we had planned was an evening reservation at Ohana, the rest was up to us!

Lizzie
10-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the report sounds like another great day.

pdrlkr
10-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

mouseketeer mom
10-15-2008, 06:39 AM
What a wonderful day! I love illuminations too. Sounds like you got a great spot.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a great day at Epcot

DizNee143
10-15-2008, 12:20 PM
what a wonderful day the both of you had at epcot..thanx for sharing! :mickey:

faline
10-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Sorry about the cold! That's not fun - still, you managed to really hang in there and have a wonderful day!

tinkerbell04
10-18-2008, 05:00 PM
You really had a full day at Epcot! Looking forward to hearing more.

KylesMom
10-21-2008, 02:54 PM
What a fun day - except for the period when you ran yourself down too much!

The dinner at Coral Reef sounds wonderful. It's amazing to me the mix of reviews I've seen on this one. We're just going to have to try it sometime.

Isn't Illuminations the best - along with the music?

Can't wait to hear what you guys decide to do tomorrow. Thanks for another great report!

January-2007
10-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for reporting.

laward32
10-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Another great day other than your cold. Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

goofy for pluto
10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
These are wonderful reports!
I have enjoyed all of them.
Off to read day 6.
:mickey: