PDA

View Full Version : Character Comparrison Disney World and Disney Land

Greenlawler
10-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Let me start by saying we had a wonderful time in all the parks. DL and DW are so different! I was very surprised just how different they were. I realize this may be long but I tend to be very detail oriented.
As far as the characters go there is no doubt that Disney World has the numbers. There are two more parks after all, but CM's at DL told us one reason they had less characters out was the economy. Apparently many characters have dissapeared from DL and DCA lately. Of course we were also there during the "off season". During our stay on a typical day at California Adventure they only had 10-16 characters out total in the whole park. At DL we could see 25-30. To put that in perspective during our stay on a typical day, just from our experiance at DW: at Animal Kingdom we could see 20-25 characters, 20-25 at Epcot, 25-35 at MK, and anywhere from 30-40 at DHS, (if you catch the late afternoon meet and greet character bonanza by the hat) just a rough estimate. There were no characters at all in the entire Boardwalk area at DCA, an area that is almost half of the park. DCA needs more character! Although the villains area was a nice touch, I wonder how many characters would have been out if not for Halloween. I do remember from our last trip to DL that there were more characters out in Sunshine plaza other than the VIP'S, but because of the Halloween decorations they only had the VIP'S out there, so maybe during other times they have more characters out in Sunshine Plaza?
As far as the characters themselves however, the DL characters tend to to more playful with more interaction. It did not matter how long the line was (if there was a line) the characters here spent a lot of time with each person.
Also the signatures are more eloborate. Just one example: Pooh in spite of the long line spent a full two minutes decorating his sig with bees.
The characters at DL also have no specific location you can rely on. The characters just roam about from spot to spot. I did like this a little as you really had less of an idea who was coming out when and where. At DW I feel like we know who is going to be out and where before we arrive. They do have a phone line similar to DW's, where you could call to ask about where characters where and if they would be out, but we found it was not very accurate.
Back to those lines. As reported here before the lines are less organized at DL, sometimes there was no attendant with the character, making it impossible to ward off line breakers. I cannot count how many times some mom jumped in fornt of us with her kids. Sometimes one CM would be standing in an area with three or four characters by themself.
Things seemed much less organized at DL but that is not always bad.
I did ask if there was an area like the teardrop at DL and was told they use DL Town Square when they do this, we never saw this during our brief stay.
One last thing, character integrity seemed overlooked at DL just one example, once we ran into Minnie Mouse in farmer attire as we were leaving DCA, whose entrance is only a few steps away from the DL town square, there we saw her in town sqaure in Halloween attire only to find her a few minutes later in different clothes again at Toon Town. This happened several times with multiple characters. It seems to me this is rare at DW. Also we saw a very short Cruella De Vil in DCA only to see a tall Cruella in DL an hour later. That may seem ticky tack but I doubt that would happen at DW.
Over all I prefer the randomness, and interaction at DL but we love the characters so much I have to give the nod to DW just for the sheer numbers. But once again both parks are great character wise for different reasons.

Greenlawler
10-13-2008, 02:38 AM
Oh and the maps with the character greeting icons are not accurate at DL. On one occasion I pointed out to a CM that there were no characters where the map said they were. She called someone about it and thanked me for pointing out their mistake. Also characters appeared throughout DL with no icon on the map. It made it more mysterious, but less dependable.
I hope this helps I know a couple of you said you were heading to DL soon!

Blue Genie
10-13-2008, 02:56 AM
To answer your question about DCA Character when it's not a Holloween or Christmas theme like you said there really isn't that many out over there. Where the giant Candy corn is the only characters that show up there are.

Mickey,Minnie,Pluto,Chip,Dale and sometimes Stitch.

Over at Hollywood backlot the characters there what I have seen are.

Skully,Goofy,The Inc.Aladdin,Jasmine,(Woody,Cinderella,Sorcerus Mickey, only when they do Drawning to Magic show.)

Also there is a Brother Bear show that they do on the other side of GRR! But it is not easy to get a picture with the bears. They only stay for 2 minutes and that's it. I was lucky of getting Kenia's picture the other time. But that's how it is when the Hoildays are not there.

bdm@pga
10-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Maybe it was the time of year, but we went to Dl in January of this year and we were overwhelmed by the number of characters...and characters that we have never seen before! obviously the norms were there, mm, minnie, pluto, goofy, donald, stitch...but then we saw all of the dwarfs, all of the princess's..several times....mary poppins, bert, the penguins, the incredibles, robin hood, friar tuck, brear rabbit, brear fox, hook, pooh and friends including piglet, daisy duck, mike and sully, pinnochio and friends, fairy godmother, ....and a lot more.....and while they were not always where they said they would be, my daughter thought it was awesome that they would just appear out of nowhere..and they were so much friendlier ...maybe because of the low attendance, but at one point, pinnichio took my daughters hand and they skipped all the way down mainstreet to play with another character..he held her had the whole time....what a memory!!!:mickey:

Greenlawler
10-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Maybe it was the time of year, but we went to Dl in January of this year and we were overwhelmed by the number of characters...and characters that we have never seen before! obviously the norms were there, mm, minnie, pluto, goofy, donald, stitch...but then we saw all of the dwarfs, all of the princess's..several times....mary poppins, bert, the penguins, the incredibles, robin hood, friar tuck, brear rabbit, brear fox, hook, pooh and friends including piglet, daisy duck, mike and sully, pinnochio and friends, fairy godmother, ....and a lot more.....and while they were not always where they said they would be, my daughter thought it was awesome that they would just appear out of nowhere..and they were so much friendlier ...maybe because of the low attendance, but at one point, pinnichio took my daughters hand and they skipped all the way down mainstreet to play with another character..he held her had the whole time....what a memory!!!:mickey:

I agree I love the playfullness of the DL characters, Mickey grabbed my sons hand and showed him around the Sunshine Plaza. Where were all 7 dwarfs? Can you remember where you saw Robin and Hood and Tuck? Was ity Main Street or at DCA? Just curious.

Jozymouse
11-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi! We visited Disneyland during labor day weekend and throughout September and we were quite disapointed with the lack of characters, it seemed to be alot of the fab 5 all the time! Over 8 days we met:
-Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale (once), Donald (once) Gedeon (once), Bert, Mary Poppins, Cruella, Alice, Mad hatter in Town Square.
-Snow Queen and Alice in Fantasyland
Princess fare: Cinderella, Snow, Aurora
At some point we saw Aladdin and Jasmine walking to Town Square
At another point we saw Fairy Godmother walking to Tomorrowland
Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Max (once), Stitch(once), Pluto, Mr & Mrs Incredible(once), Frozone (once) in DCA (We also met Sorcerer Mickey, Cincdrella and Peter Pan after the small show)

I LOVED Disneyland, but I wish their would have been more characters!!!!!!;)

Greenlawler
11-11-2008, 12:57 AM
the word I got from CM's about this was that the economy has hindered their ability to get more characters out.