PDA

View Full Version : Jiko

PoohRules
10-12-2008, 05:55 PM
We have ADR's for next week, leave in five days, and I was curious what folks have eaten here (and liked or avoided).

Any suggestions? We are on the Deluxe plan, so our meal includes appetizers.

Thanks.

Mickey 101
10-12-2008, 06:04 PM
We ate at Jiko and loved it. Our favorite entree was the beef tenderloin in cabernet sauce with macaroni and cheese. You could cut the meat with your fork. My DD ordered some type of chicken with lemon cooked in a tagine and DH tried the pork tenderloin......they were also very good. They have an excellent wine selection from South Africa. Enjoy! :mickey:

Aggie97
10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
We had a fantastic meal at Jiko in June. We split the barbeque chicken flatbread appetizer, which was great. The filet mignon with macaroni and cheese was delicious. And the chocolate cheesecake with lavender ice cream was unique and tasty. We also had a wonderful bottle of South African Riesling. Have a great time! :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
10-12-2008, 08:50 PM
A rather unique place Jiko. It is quite wonderful - especially if you do not rush the meal.

I ate some sort of fish (that's where I tend to go on the menu) and DW had beef (filet, I believe). The kids had something satisfying as well.

What stands out was the appetizers. There is ostrich and chicken - both prepared wonderfully with incredible flavors. The use of different spices/marinades/flavors made this portion of the meal very special. A wonderful way to begin a very pleasant dining experience.

While I'm no sommelier (to be honest, I'm not much of a wine drinker), the waitstaff recommended some glasses of wine that really accentuated the meal beautifully.

mudpuppysmom
10-13-2008, 11:35 AM
We have eaten there several times and continue to go each time we visit the world. If you like a nice relaxed atmosphere, Jiko is for you. If you like a quick and loud place, it is not. Even when it is busy at Jiko it does not seem like it -- I've never really noticed the sound level being that loud (except for the first time we ate there and there was drunk guy in the middle of the restaurant, but I will spare everyone further details of that, it was awful, that's all I'm going to say).

The appetizers are varied as is the remainder of the menu. They have normal food with african flair is how I would describe it. Yeah, there are a few things that you might not find on a menu at Macaroni Grill type places, but everything is VeRRRRRRRy GOOOOODD!!!!

We like the kalamata olive flatbread and the cheese "tour"....and it is something we always get!! Instead of dessert I get the cheese course (and THAT is saying something for me -- I never met a dessert I didn't like (unless it has coconut on it) -- so for me to order cheese for dessert is something!!

We have also taken DS since he was three and he's now six. We will be taking DS#2 this time and he will be 6 months, so we'll see how that goes......if he's crabby we have a room at AKL, so one of us will just retire a little early.

I would keep my ADR's and have a nice relaxed meal.....go early to stroll around the lodge and view the animals and all the art....stay after to again view some animals, sit around the firepit and hear a story possibly.

mdhiggin
10-13-2008, 02:52 PM
We found Jiko to be not to our palate. I had lamb and couscous, neither of which I had ever had before. My husband had something else. He doesn't recall, but it was too fancy for us. We tried everything we ordered, but it was nasty to us. We ended up eating at Boma after we left. I think the 5 stars are just not for us.

Simba's Mom
10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
I love the fish (I think it's halibut) with sweet potato crispies. That's my favorite entree in all WDW. For dessert, I like the pistachio creme brulee. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it-the first time I had it, I didn't like it. Then it was offered at a family style dinner after the Sunset Safari, so I decided to give it another try. This time I loved it.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-13-2008, 06:55 PM
DH and I aren't eating there with this years trip, but next year we're planning on eating there.:thumbsup:

Next trip: 11/24 thru 12/5:scrow::snowman::pilgram::deer::turkey::santa3:

quackaddict
10-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Jiko was a wonderful dining experience for DW and Myself....1st time eating there was on our honeymoon. We samples two different appetizers, which were fantastic, our entree's were just as good as the app's, and desert.....well.......the pistachio creme brulee was so good, I actually ordered another one to take back to our resort with us:tasty::eat:

The atmosphere is nice, and the service was wonderful. The topper on our dining experience was the complimentary bottle of Pinot Noir from a South African winery. Yum.

Highly recommend it. You will like it if you like dining with a sense of adventure.

CaptSmee
10-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Excellent food, but way over priced...

ch077833
10-15-2008, 07:12 AM
The food, wine list, service and ambience are great. I recommend the ostrich app and lamb entree. I got the filet with mac&cheese, which was great. But I had total food envy over my sisters lamb, it was sooo good.

Cheryl

epceddie
10-15-2008, 04:51 PM
It was a little expensive, but everything was great.
My wife and I LOVED the pistachio creme brulee for dessert.

Stickey
10-17-2008, 12:44 PM
The filet mignon is excellent.
The bbq chicken flatbread is a good choice for an appetizer.
:eat: