PDA

View Full Version : Book ... which one(s) ?

rockntot
10-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I am SUCh a hands on person... I need a book to be able to dog-ear, highlight, fold over and stickynote and really USE for our planning.

Which do you recommend??? (for 2008)

Daisy'sMom
10-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Passporter sounds like your type of book.:mickey:

rockntot
10-12-2008, 05:22 PM
oich

pricey!

This looks like EXACTLY what I need though!

Thanks !!!! --- will look for a cheap place to pick one up (I'm such a tightwad!)

246belgrade
10-12-2008, 06:15 PM
I liked the Unofficial Guide to Disney.

mulderxcoltrane
10-12-2008, 06:28 PM
I'd vote for the Unofficial Guide.

Iluvpooh
10-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Unofficial guide! I order one every year. My 2009 should be here this week.:thumbsup:

Iluvpooh
10-12-2008, 06:36 PM
BTW-It was under $15 at barnes and noble .com I ordered another book too and got the free shipping.
I'm not a big fan of the passporters-I've bought it before, but it is almost like a Jennifer and Dave scrapbook.

As far as using the planning and pockets-I like the Prep Pads from Aronda Parks (Again not a big fan of the actual book, but I do love those prep pads.)

disney100%
10-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Here's another vote for the Unofficial Guide. I used to by a different guide book, which I thought was so great - I did enjoy reading every page. I tried the Unofficial Guide for the first time this year and I realized how much information I had been missing! :blush: I am so happy I tried it out and have read it cover to cover to prepare for our upcoming trip.

oopsadaisy2003
10-12-2008, 08:57 PM
I've used the Passporter in the past but I think I might need to try the Unoffical Guide. I liked the Passporter but it does seem like a scrapbook for Jennifer. If this could be the only job I had - visiting Disney!

I recently got mine out from our last trip and it was nice to go to each day and see what we did and how much our food would have cost if we hadn't used the ddp. We kept all of our receipts in the pockets provided.

DisneyBabies
10-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Just a word of warning, I already have the unofficial guide for 2009 and there isn't any word about the "What will you celebrate?" promotion and the guide also seems to think that there is only one type of dining plan. There were also a few other instances of misinformation, so the book isn't entirely correct, but it is hysterically funny at times (especially some of the reader reviews)! Also, this book lists things to do outside the world as well (although I could do without these sections since the book is called 'Unofficial Guide to DISNEY WORLD' but oh well). LOVE this book.
If you are looking for a more correct book, try the complete guide to disney world 2009 (will be released on Oct 31, 2008 try amazon or Barnes and Noble online for cheaper prices).

mulderxcoltrane
10-13-2008, 10:58 AM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Just a word of warning, I already have the unofficial guide for 2009 and there isn't any word about the "What will you celebrate?" promotion and the guide also seems to think that there is only one type of dining plan. There were also a few other instances of misinformation, so the book isn't entirely correct, but it is hysterically funny at times (especially some of the reader reviews)!

These errors are due to the fact that the 2009 edition went to press before any of these announcements were made official. The 2nd edition of the guide normally has those updates (and is usually released mid-year). In addition - any updates to the 1st edition of a certain year are published (and free) on the book's official website.

Tink#64
10-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I have purchased or checked out from our local library all of the most popular guide books. The Unofficial Guide is my absolute fav & I buy a new one for every trip! Even though alot of the content doesn't change, I love that book! The Passporter is also nice, but not quite me, although alot of people rave about it. If you are undecided, I'd spend some time thumbing the ones you are interested in at either the book store or the library if you are only buying one! I must say though, that Birnbaums & The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World have great pics! Also the Birnbaums WDW for Kids is great for the younger kids to be involved in the planning & get ideas of what to expect! So many great choices - hard to choose just one! Good luck! I've never looked at any Disney book that I didn't enjoy! :thumbsup:

pianobabe
10-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Another vote for Birnbaum's here. I just got my 2009 edition last week and I was so excited.

kemps@wdw
10-15-2008, 09:45 PM
I am a "page folder' and "highlighter" also! I have always liked Birnbaums, but have heard so much positive about "Unofficial Guide" that I'll probably try it too this year. Even as many times as we've been to WDW, I still like to get my yearly book fix before we go.

PETE FROM NYC
10-19-2008, 06:09 PM
I have at least 8-10 older guide books.Read them all,cover to cover many times,just for a WDW fix.My two cents is that the UN-Official Guide has the most info.
The Birnbaum book looks more like a WDW promotion,but it is full of interesting stuff.Never read the Passporter ,so I can't rate it.But for my tentative driving trip next September,all three are on my Christmas wish list this year.
I also will recommend any of the specialty books:wth kids,with disabilities,or any others that might fit your needs.
Any book is better than none.

TinkerbellT421
10-19-2008, 06:13 PM
I could careless about the Passporter and I am a huge scrapbooking fan, just wasnt my thing...too much money for so little in my opinion....I highly vote for Birnbaums...I live and breath and think brinbaums is my bible lol :blush: Me and DBF went and bought it the day it came out last month! And that same day we drove by the Celebration Tour van on the way home...I was ecstatic....lol.....think they were giving me a hint lol...But I vote Birnbaums all the way...:number1:

thejens
10-22-2008, 10:44 PM
I have them all and love the Unofficial Guide best. Use Intercot for the newest info and you'll be all set. I enjoyed reading my first UG cover to cover. Now I buy a new one every other year just to keep current. The others are better for pictures and enthusiasm,but the UG has tons of info.

floogen6
10-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Passporter would be my choice as well I love the two I have and they hold up through beatings going through the World

donnah77
10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Another big Unofficial Guide fan here - it has the best information, great little factoids, and is very funny at times.

My DD (5) loves the Birnbaums WDW for Kids by Kids - nice page by page descriptions of the attractions with kid ratings and pictures.

Aurora
10-24-2008, 09:52 PM
My faves are all mentioned here but whenever we do a longer trip I have to buy these three:

The Unofficial Guide -- not only for the invaluable wait-time advice but also for lots of other tips -- this is the one that's highlighted and marked with Post-Its. I also use the Web site for updated info.

The PassPorter -- really liked this when I planned a big trip with extended family, and it was nice to have all our info written on the pages and in the pockets (I'm not a scrapbooker so my "souvenirs" stay in the book).

Birnbaum's "official" guide -- I buy this for a keepsake -- so many things change at Disney through the years that I like to look back on what was there and what we did.

If I had to pick only one, my choice would be the Unofficial Guide.