PDA

View Full Version : Just got back - crowd report & strategies (LONG)

Gregandmel
10-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi there! Just got back yesterday (10/11) from our stay which was 10/5 through 10/11 and thought I'd give you a report on crowds. Our #1 goal was avoiding crowds as much as we could which is why we picked October to go...but since there really isn't a "slow time" at Disney - really put some strategizing into things. So....here were some of our game plans: (BTW - we have 2 boys - ages 8 and 17)

#1. We avoided the park that had the emh in the a.m. I know a lot of people love them, but it just wasn't for us.

#2. Tried to hit the park that had the emh the EVENING before.

#3. Got at the park at rope drop every day. Very important in my opinion. You can make a lot of headway the first couple of hours.

Day #1 Monday - Hollywood Studios (had the emh the night before (SUnday night) and MK had the emh in the a.m. this day AND Monday is listed as a good day to go to HS). HS was DEAD! It was awesome. There were people there, of course but nearly everything was walk on (other than TSM) or 5-10 minute wait. Very enjoyable. We were there from 9-3pm (with 1 hour spent at Sci-Fi for lunch) and were able to do everything and even did TOT 4 times and RNRC 2 times.

A lady in front of me was on the phone while we were in line at TOT talking to her friend who was at MK that day and said that MK was so packed it was miserable and they were thinking of just leaving. Note: MK had the emh that a.m. AND Monday is listed as one of the busiest days to visit MK. We left HS feeling like we got a REALLY good 1st day in!!

Day #2 - Tuesday - Magic Kingdom. Picked this day because MK had the emh in the pm the night before - AND Epcot had the emh in the a.m. that day. We had 8am ressies at CP and were at the front of the line at Adventureland at rope drop by 9am. OMG - it was awesome that day! We were at MK from 9-1:30pm and literally were able to do the entire park!! Everything was walk-on or 5-10 minutes. We were able to to do:

POTC - 3 x
Splash Mountain - 2x
BTMR
Haunted Mansion - 3x
Peter Pan's Flight (we did FP on this, but standby was only 15 minutes!!)
It's a Small World
Mickey's Philharmagic
Snow White's Scary Adventure
Space Mountain - 2x
Buzz Lightyear - 2 x
Lot's of shopping! Again - we were only there for 4 1/2 hours. The CM were talking about how busy it was on Monday and how light it was on Tuesday! So it was a really great and enjoyable time for us. We didn't race through the park either -once I figured out the crowds weren't bad, we could stop and smell the roses.

Day #3 - Wednesday - Epcot - No particular reason for this park - I think Animal Kingdom had the emh in the a.m. this morning and since there was a MNSSHP the night before, thought people might be sleeping in. Anyways - another great day. We were at Epcot from 9-1pm and were able to do everything with only 5 minute waits on everything! (we used FP for Test track though, but it only had a 20 minute stand-by)

We split Epcot out and stayed only until lunchtime and went back to the resort. We went back at 5:30pm that evening to walk around WS and we had dinner ressies at Rose & Crown at 7:40 and ate dinner and watched Illuminations. Very awesome.

So - Monday Tuesday & Wednesday were great. Thursday and Friday were much busier! I attribute part of that to the long holiday weekend coming up (Columbus Day.) We went back to HS Thursday a.m. and it was noticeably busier!!! Only there till about noon and that night we did MNSSHP (there were a lot of people there and it rained quite a bit, but it was fun)

Day #5 - Friday - Animal Kingdom. Holy cow - it was PACKED by 10am!! We were there at rope drop and went straight to EE (got a fp before we went on so we could do it again) Stand by went to 10-15 min so did it a second time and then used our FP for the 3rd time. We were going to go straight to Dinosaur, but our 8 year old was getting tired and hot so we decided to meander over to the Jungle Trek walk-through. Boy am I glad we did!!!! As we exited - guess who was there to greet us?? The Dream Squad with Dream Fast Passes! What a blessing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were able to use those passes and do KS, Dinosaur, It's a Bug's Life, Kali River Rapids and EE one more time and we were out of there by 2:30pm. If we didn't have the FP badge, not sure how much we could've done. It was VERY H-O-T that day and crowded. Everything had a 40-70 minute wait.

Sorry this is long, but wanted to share details of some things. There is no recession at DW!! But felt like with some strategizing, we were able to really have an enjoyable time with minimal waits on things. I'm sure it won't work everytime, but it did for us. We had a great time (we stayed at the WL - it was incredible!)

I'll stop now - any questions, let me know. I hope all of you with upcoming trips have a really enjoyable time!!!

LittleRoosMommy
10-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow! It sounds like you really planned out your trip well!! It really pays to do your homework before going to WDW, so you can make the most of it! This is how DH and I used to do our trips. Now with 2 DDs, 2 & 4, we go at their pace! LOL Oh well!! There will always be the next trip to finish up what we missed on this trip!!

Good to know the crowds are hit & miss though! We leave in 6 days!!!:cloud9:

Donald
10-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I love your strategy! I need to use it for the next trip!-Thanks-:mickey:

chelly4568
10-12-2008, 11:46 AM
It sounded like you had a great vacation. Maybe my family should try skipping the crowds. But since were going w/ my aunt and uncle and my 1 yr old cousin its hard to get out of the house by 8 am. But we'll give it a thought. I'm glad you had a great time.

ps: private message me and tell me how the wilderness lodge is

Thankss

Daisy'sMom
10-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you had a wonderful time.:mickey:

ljv1975
10-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks for sharing!! It sounds like you had a great time! I think we may stay at WL next year. How has it? Did you have a standard, woods or courtyard view? We're trying to decide which we would like.

oopsadaisy2003
10-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a great trip. I hope ours goes as well next month. You have made me rethink my planning! I think your strategy sounds better! :thumbsup:

disney100%
10-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Wow! It sounds like you really planned out your trip well!! It really pays to do your homework before going to WDW, so you can make the most of it! This is how DH and I used to do our trips. Now with 2 DDs, 2 & 4, we go at their pace! LOL Oh well!! There will always be the next trip to finish up what we missed on this trip!!

Good to know the crowds are hit & miss though! We leave in 6 days!!!:cloud9:

We will be there the same week as you! We will not be getting there as early as our pre-children days either. My DS is 3.5, my DD is 2, my 2nd DD is 10 months and my nephew will be 1.5. This will definitely be a different paced vacation from the rest, but I know it is going to be great! We leave in 6 days too and I can hardly stand myself with excitement!

BraddyB
10-14-2008, 11:46 PM
We were there from Oct 6 - 13

Monday the 6th had EMH at MK in the PM.....we were there crowd was light in the park and after the rain basically had the park to ourselves to just hop ride to ride..not often can you stay on space mt

Tues the 7th hit Epcot once again wasnt busy, longest wait was maybe 20 mins for Test Track

Wed the 8th..went to Animal Kingdom not so busy wait for the Safari was 20 mins, wait for Everest was about 25

Thurs Magic Kingdom again for MNSSHP couldnt have had a better time hardly a wait for a ride and got lots of free candy

Fri went to Epcot the wait still wasnt soo bad, longest wait of course was for Soarin

Sat - Disney Hollywood Studios ...overcrowded with rude employees left and went to Downtown Disney and Disney Quest - lots of fun

Sunday Epcot morning and Magic Kingdom evening busier at Epcot but not out of control and Magic Kingdom wasnt to bad with EMH til 1 AM

January-2007
10-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks for sharing! I love reading success stories! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the tips

pink
10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
We just got back Oct. 1st and we did the same thing you did. We went to the parks the day before or after EMH's and it worked out great. :mickey:

JWB3
10-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for that helpful strategy - hadn't thought about how the emh the evening before would affect crowds. I'll be trying out your suggestions when I'm down there pre-conference 10/26 - 10/28. :mickey:

GrumpyFan
10-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Great strategy! Sounds like it worked pretty well for you.

deedon1011
10-27-2008, 07:22 AM
I've tried it both ways. We have avoided the emh's in the a.m., and we have gone to them. Avoiding them is definately the way to go. Good tip!

yjgirl32
10-27-2008, 07:58 AM
I didn't think you report was too long. I love all the tips and ideas people give me for my next visit. Thanks for sharing.

laward32
10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
I will definately try this on our next trip, especially since it will only be a 4 day trip with a 3 night cruise. Thanks for the great tips. :mickey:

Lizzie
10-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for sharing.
We always do morning emh and than leave by noon but it might be intresting to try your way next time.