PDA

View Full Version : Dining Full! What now?

sandeecheeks
10-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Does anyone have any advice on what to do if all of the dining reservations are full? Due to unexpected family issues I wasn't able to plan before now for our stay (Oct 30 to Nov5) and when I called for ADR's I couldn't get anything for our dates. Does it help to call back to check again? Do people cancel? Am I able to book a reservation at the restaurant itself when I am there or do I have to go through the dining phone number? Any advice is appreciated!!

wdw_bound
10-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Are you saying there are no ADRs anywhere, anytime, or just the places/times you want are full?

I have found it pays to be flexible on both. We've gone to some good places we might not otherwise have tried, except for the fact that the concierge said they had a table around the time we were looking for.

Polynesian Dweller
10-11-2008, 12:43 AM
People do cancel so keep trying. As was mentioned, this late you will have to be as flexible as possible to get them however and be prepared for less popular times such as last sitting (usually about 9:00pm) or the first (about 5:00pm). You might also get walk up by going early and asking.

But all is not lost. There are some great counter service possibilities such as Tangerine Cafe in Morocco, Sunshine Seasons in the Land, Cantina San Angel and Cosmic Rays. Downtown Disney also has good options. These places offer a lot more than just your basic burger now. You can eat all week pretty well.

Another option is to walk up to the TS locations for lunch. its much easier to get walkup at lunch than dinner, we do it all the time, and then CS for dinner.

Keep working at it. You will be OK.:mickey:

Sharon1026
10-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Yes, people cancel, so keep calling. There are some really good CS places to go to...

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

VWL Mom
10-11-2008, 08:29 AM
As the pp said, TS at lunch may be your answer. I messed up 2 of our days and had to reschedule. I ended up getting TS lunch for the ones I wanted at 3P and we'll do CS for dinner on those days.

Goes4FastPass
10-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Day of sometimes works also.

Guest Services at your resort can often help.

People who make ADRs on the off chance they may decide to eat at that place at that time and don't cancel should be punished somehow.

I'm ALL for attaching a credit card number to every ADR and charging a no-show fee when the ADR isn't cancelled.

Natazu
10-12-2008, 02:14 AM
Day of sometimes works also.

Guest Services at your resort can often help.

People who make ADRs on the off chance they may decide to eat at that place at that time and don't cancel should be punished somehow.

I'm ALL for attaching a credit card number to every ADR and charging a no-show fee when the ADR isn't cancelled.
I think they should cancel one of a person's other ADRs at random for every one they don't show-up for.

pixiesmimi
10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
We have been able on two trips to call from the Park phones and get reservations for that night in a couple of places in Epcot. I guess last minute cancellations or something. I'm sure the other parks are the same way. I agree that it is easier to get a walk up reservation at lunch rather than dinner.

AHOTE
10-13-2008, 12:21 AM
I think they should cancel one of a person's other ADRs at random for every one they don't show-up for.
:thumbsup: I like your way of thinking.

biodtl
10-13-2008, 10:43 AM
We were there last week and while I had ADRs for our "must haves", we played it by ear with the others.

Like people have said, keep calling and be flexible.

But if you get there and still have nothing, try calling the dining line or see your concierge for last minute openings. Also - walk-ups can sometimes get in. We got day of ADRs by calling for a couple (and asking what was open for a particluar park) and got a couple walk-ups.

Mackflava99
10-13-2008, 10:47 AM
When you said- all full- does that mean you have tried all the resort restaurants? including Dolphin and Swan? also Downtown Disney too-
Garden grove is excellent, but its not filled as much as other places because people forget about it-

disneyworld55925592
10-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Be flexible no matter what but I would keep trying often people cancel and you will be able to get the ADRs you want :thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Keep calling until you get to WDW and if still nothing, then try a walk in. People cancel at the last minute.

Good luck and have a great trip!! :wave:

KAT1811
10-13-2008, 03:11 PM

That would open them up for a lot of trouble. How do you determine if someone had a genuine emergency? I would be pretty upset if I missed an ADR because one of my DDs had an accident and then found out that Disney decided to randomly cancel another one of my ADRs that I made 180 days out. One never knows why someone does not show.

As a PP stated I would keep trying and calling back for ADRs. I have lucked out each time I have found a restaurant I wanted to make a change at. Just keep calling and eventually something usually opens up (maybe not at the really popular eateries). Good luck!!!!

mrmcgiv
10-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Our trip is in early Dec and all of the meals i wanted were booked solid as of 4 days ago

1900 park fare
Le cellier
Ohana (b-fast)
Sci-fi
coral reef
Lib Tree

BUT I have been calling daily and have nabed a few spots due to cancelations. We now have a ressie at park fare, Ohana for dinner, Whisoering Canyon and coral reef. I called tonight at 9:50 and had a lot of luck!!!

Good Luck

javamama
10-13-2008, 11:34 PM
I've walked up and into a few places, during spring break of '07 it was the tail end of it but we got in at Epcot, and Whispering Canyon for breakfast another morning.
My neighbor just got back on Saturday and she had her choice of Le Cellier or Morrocco TS resturant Friday night, so it'll work out:thumbsup:

thrillme
10-13-2008, 11:57 PM
We just go back and I had ADR's for all but one day. That ONE day...NOTHING was available in EPCOT. It was sooooo frustrating. If I had the power I'd do away with ADR's anything more than 12 hours prior to dining. I really felt terrible for several people that I ran into who were not on the dining plan and were just there for a once in a life time visit. They had no idea how impossible it was.

I really liked the days where you entered EPCOT communication hall and talked to an operator who asked...where would you like to dine today? She'd come back with a time and that was it. My son and I used to just walk up and get in to 90% of the resturants in the summer only 2 years ago...that seems gone now and it's very sad.

I did notice a lot of the hotel resturants seem to be available...but you have to leave the parks to get there.

sandeecheeks
10-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks so much for all the advice! This is my first time making ADR's. I am trying to work around my planned park schedule but will try to be more flexible and trying to get in at least one character meal. I will keep calling until we go and keep my fingers crossed :fingers:

Janmac
10-18-2008, 11:51 PM
When you call, do you ask what's available for this meal on this day or do you ask if there are any openings for this restaurant on that day.

While at WDW during free dining, which fills up the ADRs very quickly, I called a couple of days before and got a character breakfast for a Saturday morning. Sunday morning was booked solid everywhere. I highly recommend asking is there any availability anywhere on 1 Nov. for a character breakfast.

One afternoon I was seeing if we could switch an ADR and was asking what's available at Epcot for that evening. (during free dining) The CM said Biergarten and Marrakesh both had openings for that evening still.

You can also call and ask what availability is there in the MK area - perhaps you can hop a launch to the campground and eat at Trail's End.

Or on a Studios day, ask if there's anything in the area, including the Epcot resorts which are only a boat ride away.

I did rebook one ADR, cancellingthe original. Called a couple of days later to make sure the ADR was cancelled and it wasn't. CM goofed somehow. I actually had two ADRs for the same morning. I didn't think the system let that happen any more? :confused:

Good luck and keep trying. :thumbsup:

Jan

TheRustyScupper
10-19-2008, 12:30 PM
That would open them up for a lot of trouble. How do you determine if someone had a genuine emergency? I would be pretty upset if I missed an ADR because one of my DDs had an accident and then found out that Disney decided to randomly cancel another one of my ADRs that I made 180 days out. One never knows why someone does not show.

1) I don't know of an occurrence where one could not make an ADR.
2) One is supposed to be there 15-20 minutes, early. *
3) This is ample time for almost any happenstance.
4) I don't know of an accident that can't be prevented or handled in 15-20 min
5) If people miss ressies, they should be penalized.
6) This is a time that another family could have booked the meal.

mulderxcoltrane
10-19-2008, 02:39 PM

1) Really? Then you're not thinking very hard Rusty. We are not all perfect. Things happen out of people's control. For example:
A) What if an attraction breaks down? That could be longer than 20 minutes.
B) What if a diabetic has an insulin reaction?
C) What if someone's toddler has an "accident?"
D) No injuries could require more than 20 minutes of attention? Especially that may affect travel abilities and/or time?
4) Again, not thinking.
5) Agreed - but it should not just be a random cancel of a reservation. Charge people. Especially if the ADR system shows two ADRs booked at the same time.

Oh well - at least Disney has never given guests false expectations, false wait times, breakdown recordings on attractions, or the good old "times subject to change" spiel. Oh. Wait.....

oopsadaisy2003
10-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Did you try some of the less popular character dinings. I just booked Akerhous Princess Storybook for lunch during our visit Nov 14 - 21. During our last trip, we were able to walk-up to Crystal Palace for breakfast and we didn't have a long wait.

Good luck, I know it can be frustrating!

KAT1811
10-20-2008, 04:04 PM

TheRustyScupper,

I think you misunderstood what Natazu was saying. What he said was if you do not show up for an ADR Disney should cancel another random ADR later on during your trip, not the one you did not show up for. If you cannot imagine an accident or situation that cannot be handled in 15-20 minutes either you do not have children, forgot what it is like to have children, or have superhuman powers.

For instance, you missed your Monday 5:15 ADR at Tutto Italia for some reason (maybe one of your children threw up after riding Mission Space for example. The last thing on your mind is calling WDW dining to cancel your reservation while your child is sick and covered in :ack:) so now Disney goes along and cancels the 6:15pm ADR you have on Wednesday at Le Cellier as a penalty for not showing up at the Tutto Italia reservation. Now I would be a bit aggrivated if it were me and I booked my ADRs 180 days in advance at 7:30am just to have something like this happen. All I was saying is that emergencies do happen, especially when traveling with small children and it is impossible to determine why a guest missed a given ADR.

Natazu
10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
What I said was meant to be humorous and not in any way a suggestion. Implementing this would put a strain on the reservation system.

ffrda
10-20-2008, 09:09 PM

Those are some ridiculous statements, so much so that I shouldn't even have to explain why.....holy cow. :confused:

To the OP, whenever I can't get my desired time, I just take whatever they offer. Then, on that day, I have gone to the restaurant, and asked to have my reservation time changed, and probably 99% of the time they have accommodated me no questions asked. Give it a shot.........