PDA

View Full Version : Best type of purse for the parks?

Phantasia
10-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Hello Intercotees!

I'm elbow deep in my packing for our upcoming trip to WDW (leaving tomorrow!! :cloud9:), and I'm wondering if I can get some views on what is the best type of purse to carry with you in the parks.

I'm torn between:
a) a small, black, "wallet on a string" type of purse -- fits cards, cash and maybe a pair of sunglasses
b) a smallish, brown purse (sits between your arms and your body) -- fits wallet, some make-up, kleenex pack, etc.
c) a large, white leather purse that would likely hold everything I'd need for the day :)

Advice appreciated!

vicster
10-09-2008, 02:50 PM
I still use a fanny pack (much to my daughter's dismay). It holds what I need and I'm hands free. My friend used one of the nylon backpacks with the two strings. She had a lot of stuff in it and said it was cutting into her shoulders so she ended up buying a different bag at WDW.

offwego
10-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I use messenger style bag (which we use for the whole family..it's the carry all for water etc as well as instead of wallet for hubbie et al)

as many come with card slots and water bottle holders they work quite well. Roots made our most recent version.

If it's just you go for something you can stash on the bottom of coasters etc without worry. I'm not sure that white would be my first choice.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Nothing too heavy to make your shoulders and arms hurt...a backpack actually works well, otherwise a small purse but big enough to put a bottled water in

NanaMouse
10-09-2008, 03:15 PM
I carry a small Coach bag that has a long over the should strap, so I can be hands free. I first used it when traveling in Europe, but it works great for Disney trips.:mickey:

Now that the munchkins are adults, no need for lots of stuff during the day, so like a small bag to hold a small travel "wallet" (very small, also Coach, just big enough to carry the room key, credit card, a few dollars and some change). The bag holds the small wallet, pack of kleenex, sunglasses, hand wipes, cell phone and a small bottle with avil, benedryl etc. That's enough for me for a day at the Parks! :mickey:

Tried the Vera Bradley "Amy" and mini-wallet during the hot months and it worked well too.

LittleRoosMommy
10-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I agree with the PP, backpacks are the way to go. Even before we had kids, I would carry a backpack. This way I was able to store water, wallet, camera, etc. Now it's really convenient w/ 2 little ones!

kakn7294
10-09-2008, 03:29 PM
From the 3 you listed, I'd go with option #2. I use a small 6 X 8 cross-body bag so I can have a few "essentials" with me at the parks besides money and my ticket / room card - I need Motrin, chapstick, tissues, camera, and cell phone. I can also cram a rain poncho in when I need to. I often pack more than 1 bag in my suitcase just in case I find that what I think will be the perfect bag isn't perfect. I'd love to carry a wallet-on-a-string but my camera won't fit.

Tinkerbella16
10-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I use a medium sized drawstring bag...doesn't have many pockets, but it holds everything I need for the day and I will be hands free.

I also would go for the over-the-shoulder purse like someone else mentioned. They are not too big, and will fit everything you need. I couldn't even imagine having to carry a purse all day around the parks.

TinkerbellT421
10-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Me and DBF swear by the back pack we bought at walmart for 10 bucks before our first trip together. Very convenient and comfortable and can fit a lot of stuff during the day. Cameras, bottled waters, both of our wallets, advil, rain ponchos, paperwork, our itinierary....and during the day we can even put the small stuff we might have bought, like shot glasses, stuffed animals and the such...fits a lot and not too bulky and hands free.

mdhiggin
10-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes, backpack if you have much stuff. Fannypack or slingstyle bag for small things like tickets, hand sanitizer, etc. I wouldn't bring anything I had to hold or hang from shoulder. The hours in the park make hands-free important.

thumperbug
10-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I've tried many many bags. When DS was younger....we used a large back pack. Now I carry a mini backpack and it is perfect. Carries the minimum I need and can hold water bottles.

We still bring a travel stroller for DS (he is very small for his age and has little legs so we move quicker with him in the stroller) so we stash rain ponchos underneath the stroller so that is 1 less thing to carry.

Ropachs
10-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Do you have any little ones? I think that makes a huge difference. We do - and our plan is to use an across-the-body smallish purse for expensive important things like the credit cards, camera, cell phone, etc. We'll then stash a large bag in the stroller with waters, wet ones, etc. Hmmm, I wonder if everything in my little bag will start with a C and everything in the big one with a W?

PlanningMom
10-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Of the three that you mentioned, I think #2. But if you have a backpack or cross shoulder, I would do that over anything. I had a cross shoulder, but you are more likely to have a backpack at home, or easy to buy tonight. Definitely want to be hands free!!

I always carry cell, camera, sunscreen stick, wipes, kleenex, cards, sunglasses, pen.

Tinkerfreak
10-10-2008, 08:15 AM
I carry a small Coach bag that has a long over the should strap, so I can be hands free. I first used it when traveling in Europe, but it works great for Disney trips.:mickey:

Now that the munchkins are adults, no need for lots of stuff during the day, so like a small bag to hold a small travel "wallet" (very small, also Coach, just big enough to carry the room key, credit card, a few dollars and some change). The bag holds the small wallet, pack of kleenex, sunglasses, hand wipes, cell phone and a small bottle with avil, benedryl etc. That's enough for me for a day at the Parks! :mickey:

Tried the Vera Bradley "Amy" and mini-wallet during the hot months and it worked well too.

I too bring a small coach purse with a longer strap. It is just big enough for my small wallet, phone, camera and a pack of gum.
I have used the fanny pack before but it always got in the way going through turnstiles. With the small purse I can drape it accross my body and just lift it up when I am entering a ride. Plus it doesn't get in the way of lap belts, I just turn it to the side.

kathiep
10-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I always go with 2 options. I usually have the small bag for essentials - wallet, sunglasses, chap stick etc. This goes everywhere with me, even on rides.

Then I usually have a medium sized bag to hold water, ponchos, snacks for the kids, some sunscreen - but this stays with our stroller. There's never anything in it that I would be upset about losing.

Phantasia
10-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Thank you to EVERYONE for the fantastic advice - I love to hear all of these different suggestions.

It's funny how many people talk about stuff that they pile on the stroller vs. the stuff they carry around with them. Since all my nieces & nephews are now 6+, no more stroller! Having the stroller along was so fantastic for that, you could just pile purchases, ponchos, snacks, etc. on the stroller.

Insanity Clause
10-10-2008, 01:00 PM
I have a lightweight nylon bag that you wear on one shoulder but it has a zipper in the middle of the strap so you can turn it into a backpack style. That way it will be big enough to carry the autograph books for the kids as well as all the keys to the kingdom.

pink
10-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I carried for the first time an over the shoulder, small black bag. It had many pockets, was light weight and waterproof. I bought it off a luggage site and I think it's the best Disney investment I've ever made. I used to bring over the shoulder bags and they always fall down and are a nussance. :mickey:

VWL Mom
10-10-2008, 08:00 PM
I use messenger style bag (which we use for the whole family..it's the carry all for water etc as well as instead of wallet for hubbie et al)

as many come with card slots and water bottle holders they work quite well. Roots made our most recent version.

I just bought a Mickey Mouse Messenger bag from Disney Shopping today. It was on sale for 9.99 plus 8.50 S&H with a 10% discount for using a Disney Visa. It has card slots under the flap so I'm hoping it is easy access for our passes for EMH.

pixiesmimi
10-10-2008, 09:51 PM
I always carried a tote bag with ponchos, camera, etc. in and left in the stroller but wore a small fanny pack for my cards, money, cell phone. Last time I carried a backpack with strings and a fanny pack that I had to take off every time when we took pictures so I didn't look like a dork :D and the strings on the backpack dug into my shoulders. So when I got back I bought a :mickey: messenger bag from Ebay and have since purchased a smaller purse to match that you wear across your body. I can't wait to use them and I think I can get what we need in them for the day. I think these will be more comfortable.

bmj721
10-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I use a light weight VB backpack that works perfectly. Being made of quilted cloth it is almost none existent on my back and feels like another piece of clothing. This prevents my arms and shoulders from tiring out from the weight of a purse strap. I also pack a small VB purse for those times when a backpack is too much.
:mickey:

reneeandmark
10-15-2009, 10:38 PM
one word...

Baggallini - QVC