PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Heard of Mastocytoma?

mjaclyn
10-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I just got home from the pediatrician with DD (23 months). She's had a cold for about a week and the doctor said she has an ear infection. While I was there, I asked him about this small, lightly colored mole or birthmark on the side of her forehead. It just looks like a regular mole to me but I wanted to ask him about it because twice it's become larger and red (almost looking like a bug bite or a bump on the head), then it goes back down to it's normal size and color after a few hours. The doctor said it could be a Mastocytoma and that I should have a dermatologist look at it. Does anyone know what that is? I can't find much information on it online and now I'm starting to get scared. Could my 2 year old have cancer?? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Strmchsr
10-08-2008, 04:53 PM
That's a fairly rare condition where mast cells accumulate around an organ or (as is usually the case with children) on the skin. The overwhelming majority of the time the mass is benign and really isn't a big deal, but very, very rarely it can be associated with a blood disorder or even leukemia IF the bone marrow is involved. Again, that more serious kind is extremely rare, but it's still worth getting checked out.

PirateLover
10-08-2008, 05:15 PM
First of all I think it wasn't very professional of your doctor to tell you a disease that your baby might have and not explain what that disease was! I know nothing about it, but I'm sending you :pixie: :pixie:

MNNHFLTX
10-09-2008, 11:33 AM
From everything I have read, a solitary mastycytoma in children is generally nothing to worry about. In fact, they say that most of them go away by the time the child is 10 years old. That said, a dermatologist should still see it to confirm that is actually what it is and to recommend any treatment or follow-up.