PDA

View Full Version : Shipping groceries from home to WDW resort?

JerseyMouse
10-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Has anyone done this in the past??? We are considering looking into buying our groceries before we leave home and having them shipped to POR. Do any of you have experience doing this?

TheRustyScupper
10-08-2008, 04:43 PM
1) No problem.
2) Be sure to include your ressie info on the box.
3) Just pack the eggs carefully.

KylesMom
10-08-2008, 04:51 PM
We ship a 20-lb box down each trip full of snacks, non-perishable breakfast foods and various toiletries. As Rusty mentioned, be certain to have your name, resort information and check-in date clearly marked on the box.

Even though we make a grocery stop for adult beverages & perishables while on property, it saves quite a bit of money by sending our own things down we've bought in bulk. When we're ready to come home, we pack dirty laundry in the same box & have the front desk send it back to our home. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Airlines' second bag charge! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-08-2008, 07:44 PM
My sis just packs the stuff in a wheelie cooler, tapes it closed and checks it on the plane. Of course that was before the second bag charge. Only once was the cooler damaged and that was on the way home and they paid her for it right at the airport.

Disney Doll
10-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I just did it today actually, to POR even. It's my first time so I can't speak from experience, but it seems easy enough. I have a tracking number so I will know when my package is delivered. I plan to call the resort just to confirm delivery and then just pick it up when we check in. I have packed some snack items in my luggage in the past, but this time I needed a week's worth of diapers and baby food so shipping seemed like a nice option.

bkfree
10-10-2008, 06:05 PM
We used Garden Grocer last time, but we are considering shipping a box for our upcoming trip in Dec. Since my husband can ship UPS or FEDEX free from his business, this will definitely be cheaper.

The main reason is that we would like to ship some liquor to our room to beat the bar costs.

I noticed that someone above mentioned buying liquor onsite?
Where did you do this and was much more expensive on site than normal?

Also, for those of you that did send a package, did it include any carbonated drinks?
We like Diet Ginger Ale as mixers and think that would be hard to find and would like to pack a 12 pack of cans in the box?

I know about interstate liqour stuff..... not asking about that.
Just the physics or practicality of sending these items.
We are flying down and using ME and Disney Transportation exclusively and will not be renting a car.
DId you pack items that would break in bubble wrap?
Thinking of putting the liqour in plastic bottle to send instead of original glass bottles and also using flasks?
Other embibers give me your thoughts.:beer::cheers:

thumperbug
10-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Every WDW hotel I have stayed at has had the hard liquor in the gift/grocery shop behind the counter under lock and key. As for price...I am not sure but I can bet it is pricey.

As for shipping liquids of any kinds in glass or any other container...I would definitely put it in bubble wrap and then put each bottle in a sealed plastic bag just in case of breakage.

I would pack it like you were shipping waterford crystal

KylesMom
10-11-2008, 09:21 PM
The main reason is that we would like to ship some liquor to our room to beat the bar costs.

I noticed that someone above mentioned buying liquor onsite?
Where did you do this and was much more expensive on site than normal?

We have a rental car and buy beer, wine & champagne at the grocery store at an offsite location when we stay on-site. Reason? A 6-pack of Miller Lite is somewhere around $12.00 at the resort gift shop. $48 for a case of beer? Nah.

If it is not against Fedex/UPS regulations, I suppose you could ship down bottles of alcohol (it is against U.S. Post Office Regs), but as mentioned you'd really need a fail-safe plan to protect against breakage.

As far as shipping gingerale or other carbonated beverages, I would think that by the time it reached the resort it would have been shaken half to death and would be flat. You could always call the resort ahead of time & find out what they have - I seem to remember seeing various kinds of mixers at the WL gift shop.