PDA

View Full Version : jaw expander

Suz36
10-07-2008, 07:19 PM
My DD just got a jaw expander, and I'm strugging for soft, mushy foods to feed her. We've done pudding, applesauce, yogurt, milkshakes, smoothies. Anyone been through this before and have any creative ideas? She's not sore, it's just that everything gets stuck in it!

Georgesgirl1
10-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I had a jaw expander when I was younger and everytime it was expanded I ended up eating a lot of baby food. I also learned to cut everything up into little pieces to keep it from getting stuck. It was a pain, but now I have the perfect smile which my parents paid a lot of money for so it was worth it!

BrerGnat
10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Mashed potatoes; cream of wheat (make with milk so it's more filling and healthy); oatmeal--make it more soupy than thick, again use milk; canned fruit like peaches might be good since they're very soft.

What I would seriously consider is buying her a WaterPik. They work wonders on those dental appliances. I had a roof expander, so I know what your DD is dealing with. :(

Stitchahula
10-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't have any advice I just wanted to wish you good luck.

thrillme
10-08-2008, 11:12 AM
How about plenty of "Ensure" liquid meal supplements.

Maybe too some of those cambels soup to go. (it's in a cup and not very chunky)

jrkcr
10-08-2008, 11:35 AM
I had one when I was a kid. I haven't thought about this in years. I was a very skinny kid and never ate much anyway! (Maybe I should get one now...) I remember eating jello- red, orange, etc.

My mom usually took me to my ortho appointments, but I remember my dad took my to the orthodontist when I traded in my jaw extender for braces....and then he took me to lunch. burgers!:confused: What was he thinking??
It took me forever and I could barely chew anything and drooled alot. What a mess! :ack:

I would offer your DD anything she wants!! But make sure she gets the vitamins and minerals she needs! Milk, OJ, (or tang), and even chocolate slim fast has vitamins.

KylesMom
10-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Believe it or not, once your daughter gets used to eating with the expander in, she'll figure out how to keep most foods from getting stuck. The first few weeks are pretty icky for them, though! Carrot sticks and thicker sandwiches/double burgers were the biggest problem for DS even after he got used to his. We just stayed away from the problem foods once we identified them.

Make sure DD carries her "Christmas Tree Brush" and a travel toothbrush with her so that she won't feel self-conscious at school with food being stuck. Since she's not in any pain, l
would have her keep her normal diet minus any of the sticky foods she's supposed to avoid.

Good luck to you guys - I know DS had a really hard time with it in the beginning, but he got used to eating and talking within a few weeks. Now ten months later, he looks like a different kid - his expansion/alignment is beautiful! :D

Tinkerfreak
10-08-2008, 01:06 PM
If she likes eggs they are a good source of protein and will fill her up. You can make scrambled eggs as well custards or omlets with small bits of stuff in there that will be easy for her to chew. The protein will help fill her up too.

Mousefever
10-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I hate to tell you what my son has to do to keep things from being stuck. He makes loud sucking noises if he's not out in public. Thank goodness we broke him of the habit of making that noise in public!

Amy

:dory: