PDA

View Full Version : Baby has an egg allergy - Tips on eating around the world please!

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-07-2008, 04:30 PM
We recently found out that our youngest is allergic to eggs. So, now that the news has settled in and we have changed our household diet, we are thinking about our Disney trips. What's a mom to do? or more accurately... what's a mom and dad that loves to eat at the buffets to do?

I know that Disney is especially nice about special eating arrangements and with allergies but, that has all been hearsay (or more like hear-read) to me. Tips and tricks anyone?

offwego
10-07-2008, 04:47 PM
We recently found out that our youngest is allergic to eggs. So, now that the news has settled in and we have changed our household diet, we are thinking about our Disney trips. What's a mom to do? or more accurately... what's a mom and dad that loves to eat at the buffets to do?

I know that Disney is especially nice about special eating arrangements and with allergies but, that has all been hearsay (or more like hear-read) to me. Tips and tricks anyone?Not eggs for me but strawberries, we note it on the adr and then we will mention it at check in. Normally the chef or wait staff person will go over what you can have or not have on the menu or the buffet. It's always been a breeze and in many ways very nice.

Strmchsr
10-07-2008, 06:14 PM
They'll bend over backwards to help you. They certainly have with my DS8 who's diabetic. As mentioned above, note the allergy on your ADR and when you check-in. They'll take care of you. You can also contact Disney Dining directly and they can tell you the best places to eat and help you even before you arrive.

princessesmom
10-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I have two nephews who have many serious food allergies, including eggs. My brother and sil love vacationing in Disney World, because they are so accommodating with this. They speak with the Chef at each restaurant when they are seated about what the boys can have. At LTT they made them their own mashed potatoes and gray - they are allergic to milk products also. My sil said it was the best thing they ever ate!

As others have said, let them know when you make the ADR and again when you check in. They will take care of your child.

BrerStitch
10-07-2008, 07:55 PM
As an egg allergy sufferer of nearly 30 years myself, I can tell you that Disney does a great job when it comes to dining. As mentioned above, note the allergy when making ADRs. You will likely (for buffets) receive a visit from one of the Chefs, who will walk you through the buffet and let you know what is OK and what is not. For non-buffets, I have often just told the server what I was interested in, and he / she will check with the Chef for me.

One surprise to me was that the mac and cheese that is served at the World has egg in it (or at least it did the last time I visited a buffet that served it). This was no real loss, however, as I tend to avoid pasta as a whole, never knowing if it is fresh (and made with egg) or dried. Only other 'gotcha' that I've found would be battered food, as it's sometimes an egg wash, and sometimes not. Again, the chef / server will be more than able to guide you through those pitfalls.

Also, as ice cream is a personal favorite of mine, but also a tricky thing to order, as it frequently has egg whites, the Main Street Ice Cream parlor has the ingredient list available for you to peruse if you'd like. I've found this to be the case with most, if not all, of the eating establishments.

Best of luck, though I can say from experience that you'll get used to what is safe and what is not before long! Feel free to PM if you have any other questions! :mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Thank you for the vote of confidence everyone! I hope that the mac n cheese has an egg-free option as that is a standby meal when all else fails! But, after all, this is Disney - they think of everything!

MomTo3Tiggers
10-08-2008, 12:35 PM
As everyone else has mentioned, the ADR mention is important. In addition, the chef absolutely should come out and talk to you. It happened to us every time - and given one of my kid's allergies it's the only way I would have let him eat with any degree of confidence. (Heck, that I'd let him put a bite in his mouth.)

The thing I quickly learned is don't hesitate to speak up. At one buffet, there was luncheon meat that was safe for my two allergic kids but placed next to the cheese on the same plate. (Dairy allergy) Not happening. I asked politely/apologetically and they cut us fresh very happily. Many times they made food specifically for my children.

In our case I filled out a sheet in advance that is available through Disney with all our various food issues listed which the restaurants are supposed to receive in advance - but a single egg allergy isn't so hard to manage so I don't think you need to go that far.