PDA

View Full Version : Looking for EXPERT advice on park agenda

deva
10-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Hello all,

I'd like opinions from you trip planning experts out there; I have 2 possible agendas and want to get input on which one to follow. Much planning has gone into these, including: The Unofficial Guide book (as well as their website and crowd calendar), input from family, discussion boards, info central, and other sources. We can only make it to the World once a year and I want to get it right.

I'm considering 2 plans. One takes advantage of AM EMHs, while the other capitalizes on "Best Park" advice from The Unofficial Guide and avoids AM EMHs. I haven't been to an AM EMH and am weary. The plans include hitting the AM EMH for 3 hours or so and hopping when the bottlenecks start.

The dates are 10/16 thru 10/19

The Non-EMH plan is as follows:

Thurs 16th: AM:DS PM:DS or Relax (EMH: AM MK)
Fri 17th: AM:AK PM:MK (EMH: PM Epcot)
Sat 18th: AM:MK PM:EP or Relax (EMH: AM DS)
Sun 19th: AM:EP PM:DS or Relax (EMH: PM DS)

The AM EMH schedule would look like this:

Thurs 16th: AM:MK, hop, DS PM:DS or Relax (EMH: AM MK)
Fri 17th: AM:AK PM:EP (EMH: PM EP)
Sat 18th: AM:DS, hop, MK PM:EP or Relax (EMH: AM DS)
Sun 19th: AM:EP PM:DS or Relax (EMH: PM DS)

Please weigh in if you are a crazy planner.

SillySymphony
10-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi ! Interestingly enough, we're walking the World on the very same days you are! In the past, I was an absolute Disney Commando. I was more "timely" reliable than the rope drop !

Now... things are a mite different. But as I looked at your itinerary, I think you've got quite a few good ideas and I can "see" where you're coming from and why. My most recent experiences, however, tend to shy away from Evening EMHs and the reason behind that is: while not everyone is willing to drag themselves from bed for a Morning EMH, the opposite is true for Evening EMHs.

The point being: there IS Magic to be found at nite, but there are crowds to contend with that can rival any summer day at MK. If Attractions are high on your list, you're more likely to experience them in the morning. If the "ambience" is important, well... there's a lot of Magic to be found then, too...

TinkerbellT421
10-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Well, really its all about what you feel comfortable with. And if your going with children and or other people what you all feel comfortable with as a whole. Because if someones doesnt enjoy staying up late or getting up early they could be cranky and make the whole day miserable for everyone so I would say to way those issues too when planning. Luckily for DBF and I we are the only two that go currently. Just us, no kids. And we are the same so I cant really say how your scheduled could work. But I will say we do EMH AM and PM's int he same day, we are wild like that lol. We get up at 5 to be up and ready and out the door by 7 for AM whereever they may be, and we take advantage of having the EMH hours somewhere else those same days so we take advantage of both and park hop. 5 out of our 10 days there this year we will be easily spending atleast 15 hours at parks....usually with no breaks at the hotel by the way. But this year it might be a little different. WE will be more conveniently located to be able to do that if we wish. Wish I could be of more help. But again this is just the crazy daring couples opinion on what we do. lol.

PS-I like the second choice you have, taking advantage of the AM EMH...but hey thats just me. I enjoy the parks AM EMH more than PM..

SBETigg
10-07-2008, 09:50 AM
To my experience, evening EMH is not worth it unless you are staying for the whole thing and the hours run late. In the later hours, you can get a lot done. But then, I'm not usually up to take advantage of the AM EMH if I stay for a full PM EMH. I would choose one or the other, and avoid the park with the EMH you choose to skip. By most accounts, the AM EMH are the most productive until the park fills, so I would stick with the plan to do some AM EMH and hop to a new park. You're there for a short time, so that would also cut down on my relaxing downtime. My schedule would look like this:

Thurs 16th: AM:MK for EMH- then hop to DS- hop to Epcot for evening. (EMH: AM MK)

Fri 17th: AM: DHS PM:MK (EMH: PM Epcot)

Sat 18th: AM: DHS- relax or hop to Epcot (EMH: AM DS)

Sun 19th: AM: AK- hop to repeat favorite park other than DHS (EMH: PM DS)

Keep in mind that due to proximity, it is especially easy to hop from DHS to Epcot and reverse once crowds come in.

cer
10-07-2008, 10:16 AM
My advice is this. Whatever you do or where ever you go, be there at rope drop, EMH or not.

There is just an advantage to this - last time we went, we were running late one morning and ended up not getting there early and I kind of felt like the party started without us. MK felt crazy busy (it was about 11 on a Sunday) -

Anyway for us, get there at rope drop - it's what we like. We have never closed down a PM EMH and we are not much for being the night owls, unless of course to appreciate the lights, which we do - but we really like the feel of the parks first thing.

deva
10-07-2008, 10:27 AM
OP here,

Good replies so far, please keep them coming.

I should have stressed, I am primarily looking for advice about the AM portion of the trip and thus advice on the AM EMHs, not so much the PM EMHs.

mulderxcoltrane
10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I would trust the Unofficial Guide - the process through which they run their touring plans is extremely extensive.

To be honest - the crowds should be light enough at the time of your trip that I don't think you should run into any major problems.

KylesMom
10-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Although we vacation at a different time of year than you, we swear by morning EMH. We are able to accomplish so much more the first two hours that the park is open, it is unbelievable.

I agree with SillySymphony's logic in the fact that while ambiance is peak in the evening, you may find that the attraction lines are, too.

One last note: Ensure that the park you are contemplating going to has enough attractions open to warrant the a.m. EMH. In our opinion, while we love DHS and the thrill rides, if we had young children with us it would not be worth it to attend - same with Epcot and AK for that matter! We have also found the crowds to be lower in the park which opens at the regular time in the morning but had evening EMH the night before.

Have a great time! :mickey:

pixiesmimi
10-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I would go for the AM EMHs. I think it is so much fun to be there early before the crowds and be able to walk down the streets and ride rides without fighting crowds. The parks are beautiful early in the morning and it is cooler. We have stayed for the PM EMHs but I didn't enjoy them as much because of lower light and not being able to see as much scenery plus as said above, not all the rides are open late. It is kind of nice for shopping but we are really tired by that time and don't enjoy it as much. We love doing a few rides early and then taking time for breakfast somewhere and going again, relaxed. I seem to feel more rushed when there are a lot of people around vying for the same spot of real estate. :)

Tink#64
10-08-2008, 12:22 AM
We now avoid EMH like the plaque! Twice we've tried the PM EMH's & didn't fare well at all! Once at DHS, we waited for an hour to do ST & the next morning, arriving at regular opening time we literally walked on with no wait at all! Another occassion, we tried PM EMH's at MK & youngest DS then 8, was literally in tears because he was so tired & kept asking if we really had to stay! We had even taken a break that day! So needless to say we didn't stay, definitely not worth it. So now we avoid whichever park has the AM EMH's, because we know we can't go at our WDW pace (which does include a couple hours break everyday!) & get up any earlier & we know we can't stay out until all hours touring the parks & then be able to do it all over again the next day! Even without young kids, I don't think I could do this for more than a couple of days! So I plan AROUND the EMH's & always arrive for park opening & we do just fine! Sounds like you will be visiting at more of a "down time" if there is such a thing now, so you shouldn't have extraordinary wait times. We followed this routine during the MD holiday weekend one year & during Spring Break this year. We utilized FP & never waited in a stand by line for more than 20 minutes! We did pass on one or 2 attractions that we would have liked to do, but didn't want to stand around for an hour or 2 for 1 attraction. We need sleep and have a much better vacation if we aren't all just zombies because we're trying to do everything available to us! This works for us, but everyone's different! If you think you'd like to try EMH's - try it one day & see how it works for you. A friend of ours did the PM EMH at MK (no kids on trip!) & she said it was fantastic! :mickey:

Figment78
10-08-2008, 12:28 PM
To be honest - the crowds should be light enough at the time of your trip that I don't think you should run into any major problems.

Although we vacation at a different time of year than you, we swear by morning EMH. We are able to accomplish so much more the first two hours that the park is open, it is unbelievable.

I agree with SillySymphony's logic in the fact that while ambiance is peak in the evening, you may find that the attraction lines are, too.

One last note: Ensure that the park you are contemplating going to has enough attractions open to warrant the a.m. EMH. In our opinion, while we love DHS and the thrill rides, if we had young children with us it would not be worth it to attend - same with Epcot and AK for that matter! We have also found the crowds to be lower in the park which opens at the regular time in the morning but had evening EMH the night before.

Have a great time! :mickey:

I agree completely. :thumbsup:
Your visit time should not be so crowded that either EMH or regular park times will be a huge issue for you. But yes, AM EMH are generally very low crowds. (I am also of the PM EMH are not-so-bad camp, having just experienced them with no problem a few weeks ago but you didn't ask about that so no comment...) As PP said, if you do go EMH make sure you know which attractions are open and plan your EMH and non-EMH time accordingly!

Enjoy!