PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews 9/3 - 9/9

angua85
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I know this is late, but here goes:

We were at Disney World shortly after the Labor Day Holiday. We took advantage of the free Disney Dining plan and I am glad we did. We certainly ate at table service more often than we would have other wise. I will warn you- we don’t go to Disney for the food. :blush:

For breakfast, we used snack credits. Lunch was anywhere on our way and most of the time was CS- but they serve far too much food at the counter service places! A word to others looking for healthy options- request grapes for your dessert choices. It may not be on the menu, but we found it available. If anyone from Disney reads this- please, there is no need to put meat on every salad!

We did not make any ADR (the horror!!) We opted to go to the concierge desk on our way out each morning and see what was available. We matched that with our park plans and selected the best choice. As you can see, we were able to dine at several places that I see people selecting after spending time on the phone 180 days out (or whatever the time frame is). One time, the line was too long for the concierge, so we went to guest services at the park we were touring that day. I would have hated to have planned my touring around a dinner reservation.

Often our reservations were a bit later than I eat at home(6:30 – 7:30 with one 9 pm), but after being there a few days it was by choice. We would use the extra time to go to the French pavilion and drink a glass of wine while watching the crowds.

These notes cover our table service meals. So here we go- not in chronological order:

Ohanas-
On the night of Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. Our reservations were for 9 pm. The ambience was great, service was fun, food was not so good. The meat was tough, the shrimp are grilled with their shells on, which was work to get out. And once they were shelled it was bleh. However, we were able to watch the fireworks while eating our meal and the music was piped in- which was fantastic. The dessert was great!

Tokyo Dining
Our server was “earning her ears,” and was quite nice. It was our first night using our Table Service for the DDP, so we were not sure what was included. We tried the saki sampler, which was fun. Food was not bad- nothing memorable. But, I loved the décor and enjoyed people watching.

Restaurant Marrakesh-
Again, fabulous ambience. The entertainment was lovely. I enjoy Moroccan food (what little I have had), so I liked the combination of flavors. But, the food seemed soggy and overcooked. The waiter was very fun though, very entertaining!

Biergarten Restaurant –
Once again, the entertainment was so much fun! I love the look of the restaurant also. Food was inedible, however. None of us could eat much of what we picked from the buffet. And I do like German food- I spent a couple weeks there on business, eating with German friends at out of the way, non-touristy establishments. Too bad 

Les Chef de France –
Amazing restaurant! We had lunch here on our last day, using up an extra table service. Our waiter was charming and knowledgeable. He gave us his recommendations on the meals based on what we wanted, he recommended wine and desserts. And the food was great! One of my favorites.

Raglan Road –
My absolute favorite from the trip. The food was inventive and delicious! Nothing soggy or overcooked or deep-fried (yay- about time!) Unfortunately, we were there too early for the entertainment. This was our last night, so it was bitter sweet. I have not spent much time in Downtown Disney before, but this trip we took it at face value as a shopping/dining destination and it was enjoyable.

So, there ya go. Do with it what you will :thumbsup:

Dawneeeey
10-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I like what you did. Every time we go, we're bound to the dates and times of our ADRs and the parks surrounding the dinners. Maybe next time we'll try your approach. That way, we can try some new places!!!

I'm glad you had a great time!!:thumbsup:

mgmnut
10-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I like what you did too. I don't like to plan my day around reservations, this makes the day more fluid. You grab what is available and that way you end up trying new things.

Lizzie
10-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a lot of fun.

pdrlkr
10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the Reviews! :smickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Hmmmm.we are trying Biergarten, Marrakesh, and Raglan Road on our upcoming trip.....

tinkerbell04
10-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reviews, it sounds like a great time.

Tink's Mom
10-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Interesting idea. I could do that most days, but there are a few places that I just have to eat at, and they almost always require ADR's. I agree with you totally about the Biergarten. The entertainment is fun, but the food is awful. I lived in Germany for 5 years, and love the food. I was so excited to eat there. What a disappointment.

BeccaO
10-08-2008, 03:10 PM
What a great idea to utilize concierge the way you did each day!!!! It's a great way to try dining establishments that you would not normally try if making reservations really far ahead of time. I always talk about the places we want to visit before we go on our trips, but somehow we always end up back at the places we have loved for years.:thumbsup: