PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Car Seats

disney100%
10-04-2008, 02:26 PM
This is the first time we will be renting a car while we are in Disney. Because of the cost to rent car seats from the rental car dealership, we decided to bring our own. We will have one regular car seat and 2 booster seats. How do you check these at the airport? Can you check them at the gate like strollers, or do I need to get some type of large bag (I was thinking hockey bag) to squeeze them all into? We are going to be flying Southwest, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I really would like to avoid investing in a bag specific for car seats because the we do not travel enough to make the investment worth it, and I am fairly sure all three won't fit into one.

Only 2 more weeks!!!! :cloud9:

Ed
10-04-2008, 05:10 PM
From the SWA website:

The following items are not considered carryon bags or personal-type items and are not counted against the “one-bag plus one personal-type item” limit:
A child restraint device for a child who has been ticketed, who has a seat reserved, or for which complimentary, available space exists.

If I'm reading your post correctly, if you'll be traveling with three small children, the seat/boosters can be taken aboard and used during the flight, without it counting against your carry-on limits.

Lucyrella
10-04-2008, 09:59 PM
We just returned from flying Southwest, and we have a 4 year old at 25 pounds, and a 5 year old over 40 pounds, so for the same reason, we brought our carseat and booster seat. I found a really nice carseat travel bag from Babies R Us for around $30 and we were able to stick the booster seat inside it with the carseat. It was on wheels plus it had like backpack straps which came in handy. WE checked it with our luggage. We didn't want to hassle with a stroller and carseat when trying to get on the plane. Hope that helps,

Lizzie
10-04-2008, 10:06 PM
You can check it with your luggage. Alaska Airlines has large plastic bags you can put them into. We have never had any problems checking any of our car seats this way. But I am looking forward to downgrading to a booster just to have something smaller to haul around.

BigRedDad
10-05-2008, 06:22 AM
My experience on SW was that it is not considered baggage if you check it or bring it on the plane. This may not be the case because they may have just considered it as a bag since we only had 3 bags for 3 ticketed passengers.

disney100%
10-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Thank you so much for the advice everyone! My dad asked me just the other day what I was going to do and I realized I had very little time left to figure it out, so I appreciate the quick responses!

Lizzie, I too will be excited when all 3 kids are in boosters (or in nothing!). :mickey: Trying to juggle the three car/booster seats, three kids, 2 strollers, luggage, etc. through the airport should be quite interesting - I am so thankful my parents are coming with us. I think we will need all the extra hands we can get! ;)

disney100%
10-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Just an update -
I actually called Southwest directly (honestly, because I was being to cheap to actually purchase an official travel bag) and the rep I spoke with said I can put them in a trash bag and just gate check them like a stroller. Though it will be a pain to lug through the airport, I will have my parents there to help get things to the plane and keep track of the kids! :mickey:

8 More Days! I can hardly stand myself!! :cloud9:

Disney Doll
10-10-2008, 02:24 PM
We'll be there the same week as you! I just wanted to mention that some type of bag (trash bag or whatever) is best just to keep the dirt and dust off your seat. Hope you have a fabulous trip!!

disney100%
10-11-2008, 09:59 AM
We'll be there the same week as you! I just wanted to mention that some type of bag (trash bag or whatever) is best just to keep the dirt and dust off your seat. Hope you have a fabulous trip!!

I see it is your baby's first trip - you are going to have so much fun! My son was 14 months on his first trip and the characters were so great with him! This time around I will have three kids (and my nephew makes 4). My son is now 3.5, my daughter is 2 and my second daughter is 10 months. It will be the first trip for my daughters and my nephew, who is 1.5. We just can't wait! By the way, POR is our favorite resort, though we are staying at CBR (our second favorite) to check out the new pool area!

Hope you have a great trip too!

disneyers
10-11-2008, 02:34 PM
From the SWA website:

If I'm reading your post correctly, if you'll be traveling with three small children, the seat/boosters can be taken aboard and used during the flight, without it counting against your carry-on limits.

I know you've already decided what to do, I just want to add one thing. Make sure your car seat is FAA certified before you take it on the plane.

Most flight attendants never ask, but once or twice a year we are asked to verify that our seats are certified. If they are not certified you will be asked to gate check them. Most booster seats are not FAA certified. (To be honest, we've never actually found a booster seat -one without the 5 point harness- that WAS certified.)

Our 5 year old has been flying for more than a year without a carseat/ booster, but our 2 year old HAS to be strapped in - more for our sanity than anything else! :D

Jen C.
10-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I know you've already decided what to do, I just want to add one thing. Make sure your car seat is FAA certified before you take it on the plane.

Most flight attendants never ask, but once or twice a year we are asked to verify that our seats are certified. If they are not certified you will be asked to gate check them. Most booster seats are not FAA certified. (To be honest, we've never actually found a booster seat -one without the 5 point harness- that WAS certified.)

Our 5 year old has been flying for more than a year without a carseat/ booster, but our 2 year old HAS to be strapped in - more for our sanity than anything else! :D

Great advice. Airtran did check ours a few weeks ago. Our Britax Roundabout is approved, but we knoew our Britax Regent isn't. Luckily we brought the Roundabout! ;)

disney100%
10-12-2008, 08:12 PM
We are defintely going to gate check them. My littlest one (who will be in my DH's lap) can hardly sit in a car seat to go to the grocery store now that she is crawling, so I know she would never make it through a flight. Plus, I figure if I gate check it, it is one less child/carry on/security blanket/pacifier I have to get down the aisle of the plane and settled into a seat! ;) Thanks for all the great advice!