PDA

View Full Version : What is the drinking age in Canada?

Cinderelley
10-03-2008, 05:17 PM
We'll be going on a cruise to Alaska next summer that starts in Canada. I'm wondering what the drinking age is there. That way I'll know how short I have to keep my stepson's leash. ;)

Mammabruski
10-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Its 19 everywhere but in Quebec, Alberta and Manitoba where it is 18.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
10-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I was pretty sure it was 18 everywhere except Ontario...where it's 19.

(I am Canadian and have only lived in {unfortunately} Manitoba).

FlaTinkRAMESAM
10-03-2008, 06:36 PM
In 2002, I was 18... we went to Ontario and I was def not allowed to drink... It was 19.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-03-2008, 06:42 PM
The OP is right...19 in most of the country, but 18 in Quebec, Manitoba and Alberta.

I'm assuming that your cruise starts in BC, so 19 and over can have a drink :beer:

meldan98
10-03-2008, 07:05 PM
You may want to double check with the cruise line though. They may only allow 21+.

Cinderelley
10-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes, on the cruise, its only 21 & up. But, we are starting the cruise in Vancouver. He will be 19, but he doesn't have a lot of common sense or self control. I guess I won't be able to let him too far out of my sight. He's not rude or anything, just does stupid stuff.

Maybe I'll suggest to DH that he take him out to have his first "official" drink (I know he's done underage drinking here with his friends. He threw a party while DH & I were in Vegas.) Maybe that'll get it out of his system. It won't be so forbidden anymore.

crazypoohbear
10-04-2008, 10:11 AM
I would keep that lease very very short. You have had enough stress with him before and you don't want to have your trip ruined before it starts! You also don't want him hungover and seasick!
Have a wonderful time!~

Cinderelley
10-04-2008, 07:01 PM
You also don't want him hungover and seasick!

Actually, I had a truly evil thought that this might cure him of any future inclination to partake of the forbidden. :thedolls:

I did talk to DH last night about taking him out for a beer while we're in Canada. We discussed many different scenarios from not doing it at all to aforementioned evil scheme. We have quite a while to decide what we're going to do. A lot of it will depend on how he acts now that he's back home.

crazypoohbear
10-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Actually, I had a truly evil thought that this might cure him of any future inclination to partake of the forbidden. :thedolls:

I did talk to DH last night about taking him out for a beer while we're in Canada. We discussed many different scenarios from not doing it at all to aforementioned evil scheme. We have quite a while to decide what we're going to do. A lot of it will depend on how he acts now that he's back home.

THat's not a bad idea but if he is like most other boy/men YOU will have to listen to him whine and complain and that wouldn't be fun for you.
I can see wanting him to drink himself sick/sober but the whining and curling up into the fetal postion will just get old quickly!