PDA

View Full Version : need some help with place to stay

momef3grls
10-02-2008, 06:40 PM
We are in the early planning stages of our trip and we need some help. Since the family size is getting smaller with one daughter in college and the other going into the military we are only taking DD14. These are the possiblilities all have pluses and minuses, we just want some outside opinions since we have not stayed at some of them. All input is greatly appreciated.

SBETigg
10-02-2008, 07:37 PM
The Animal Kingdom Lodge would be my choice of your selections. It's really amazing there, and it's a Deluxe hotel experience at a slightly lower price than most Disney Deluxes.

iDisney
10-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I voted POP Century. It's cheaper, so you can stay and play longer! (Or you could buy more souvenirs.) While I agree that the Deluxe resorts are nice, I couldn't personally justify the cost of one. When we are at WDW we need a place to sleep and shower. Why spend 200+ a night for that, when the POP does what we need for less than half?

KatMark
10-02-2008, 09:38 PM
AKL is our dream resort--but with two boys in college that dream won't happen anytime soon. We've not stayed at any of them, but are thinking of doing a split stay with POFQ and our home away from home, Coronado.

disneymajik
10-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Our vote is for FQ. AKL is a beautiful resort but it is out of the way and a long bus ride to the other parks.

FQ is compact, centrally located for bus service to the parks, boat to Downtown Disney, and also a nice resort. Good luck with your decision.

Cinderelley
10-02-2008, 09:59 PM
I can only help you somewhat. I can't decide between AKL and Pop for our next trip. I've visited AKL several times and love the resort. So, I've been leaning towards staying there, but we've actually stayed at Pop several times and love it. The staff has always been so friendly and helpful, and I'm all about customer service.

Stayed at CBR once and had a horrible time. The grounds were beautiful, but the customer service had a lot to be desired.

I've never stayed at POR, so I can't give you an opinion on that one. I don't think I would like it because of the bus set up.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-02-2008, 10:14 PM
The POP!!! DH and I love it there!!! We've stayed there twice already; once in '06' and once in '07'. And we're going back in November. We love the hotel itself. The lobby, the outside decor, the cast members, the food court and the bus routes to the parks are anywhere from 5 to 15/20 minutes. I agree, if you want to save, go to a value resort. We've stayed at many deluxe hotels over the years when visiting Disney. ( Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Flo, and Wilderness Lodge.)
And yes, the Animal Kingdom hotel is gorgeous. Someday we will stay there. We love them all and visit them while on our trips. ( dinners, shopping etc.. ). And the moderates are fairly reasonable as well. But, if you're looking for a place to just sleep, shower and you're out the door then a value resort is what you're looking at. The POP is your ticket for some unique fun while staying at a Disney resort. This year we're staying in the 90's section.( stayed in the 50's and 60's ) The centuries are so COOL.( 50's thru 90's. ) Try it you'll think it's cool as well.

Next trip: 11/24 thru 12/5:turkey::santa:

Seasonscraps
10-03-2008, 07:29 AM
I think part of the decision should be based on how you vacation at Disney.

If you do parks all day & just sleep/shower at the resort, I would stay at the French Quarter. It's a lovely resort, smaller then other moderates, in a good location plus it shares amenities with POR its sister resort.

If you like to enjoy the resorts amenities, I would stay at the AKL. I haven't stayed there yet, but I hear so many wonderful things about it and am dying to stay there one day.

yjgirl32
10-03-2008, 09:23 AM
I love animals so this was a no brainer for me- AKL. Someday.....

But I agree with the other readers- value or at least moderate would be the way to go.

I have stayed at CBR- it was very nice- but also very large. I would stay there again- I like the theming and now that they are getting updated- it would be even nicer.

Good luck with your decision- just remember there are no wrong answers, it's DIsney!

RedSoxFan
10-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I, too, picked AKL. It's a lovely resort. No sharing of busses. And I don't remember it taking a long time to get to any of the parks either. POFQ is also a nice resort. Don't know about CBR yet; staying there for the first time in 2 weeks.

bwk99
10-03-2008, 10:34 AM
AKL is the only resort I've stayed at more than once. If I could only pick one resort to stay for the rest of my life it would be AKL.

pixiesmimi
10-03-2008, 11:28 AM
If you are trying to stay a different place each time, I would experience the CBR. We loved it! We have not stayed at the others. If you are just looking for a room, like others said, I would say Pop. We usually stay at a value unless we get a good discount package. That is when we like to experiment and stay somewhere we normally couldn't afford. But if you are only going to sleep and shower there, save your money. They are all good resorts and you'll have fun no matter where you stay.

CU Tiger
10-03-2008, 01:06 PM
I feel Animal Kingdom is a higher class hotel and you get more out of staying there.:mickey:

snuggs30
10-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Depends, AKL is so neat! Not a bad price. If you want to spend some time there then go for it but if you are like our family, out and about we stay at a value resort. I have stayed at Port Orleans and I love that place too! The price is good and its not as crowded as a value. The pool is great there! But I think your daughter would like either AKL for the animals or Pop for all the excitement!:D

JoDisney
10-07-2008, 10:49 AM
POFQ is a lovely, small resort. Your daughter may find the pool is not to her liking. It is has a small slide. I have all boys and while they were very young they enjoyed POFQ. When they became teenagers, like your daughter, they preferred the moderate resorts, POR and CBR. They love WL and AKL. These are lower priced deluxe resorts. WL is closer to MK and AKL is, of course, near AK. Check out "info central" at top of this page for information on all resort. Your choice is going to be what interests you and your daughter. WL is just a boat ride away from MK and the monorail to Epcot. WL has a smaller pool, but it is lovely. If your daughter and you love animals, then AKL, will be a great choice. AKL has a lovely, big pool, too.

CaptSmee
10-07-2008, 08:34 PM
It depends on your monetary situation.

AKL is a luxury resort with, and at the top of it's class. It's beautiful and an attraction in itself.

POR is my least fav resort we've stayed at. Huge, sprawling, with shared bus service between the 2 resorts was a drag.

POP is if you wanted to save $$$. It's the best value resort out there. Not as big as it's All Star brothers.

CBR is an excellent mid-price resort. I enjoy staying there just as much as CSR. You feel like you are getting away from Disney without paying more for a deluxe resort.

RAIDER
10-08-2008, 04:47 AM
I love the CBR its such a relaxing resort to stay :thumbsup:

MrsAndre
10-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I voted CBR because we've never stayed there, and when we get to the point that we don't need a room for 5 or 6 I will be very happy to stay in a moderate again. :thumbsup:
Given your new, smaller travelling party - I vote for CBR (or POFQ, I stayed there w/DS many years ago and loved it.)

KAT1811
10-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Personally I would go with POP. If it is just the three of you and you plan to spend most of your time in the parks why bother spending money for ammenities you are not going to use? If you are planning on spending more time at the resort then I suppose it may be worth while to stay at AKL. As far as deluxe resorts go AKL is last on my list. For us the biggest advantage to staying deluxe is the proximity to the parks and AKL is so far out. If I were in your shoes and was thinking of staying deluxe I would go with WL. Good luck deciding!

Mackflava99
10-09-2008, 03:13 PM
AKL-
the animals and waking up and sitting on your balconey watching a giraffe eat his breakfast-
enough said....

NanaMouse
10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
We've stayed at all and with a D14, CBR might be great. it feels like a vacation within a vacation, the rooms are the same size as std WL and AKL (practically - 340 CBR, 344 WL & AKL), the rooms are in the process of being refurbished and it has a brand new main pool.

Each "Village" has a quiet pool, so 2 pool options no matter which village you're in.

For the some the cons would be that the lobby is a seperate building, not attached to the villages - but this is part of what gives it the tropical island feel. Also, some (like us) prefer to bok a preferred location room, but others do not fins this important at all.

As of next year, the furthest rooms from OPR will now be specially themed pirate rooms, so those will no longer be in the general room catagory so no chance of beinbg assigned a room in Trinida South, the furthest from the Lobby,Old Port Royale & main pool

We really like all of your options, but to save a bit of vacation money and still have a wonderfully themed resort, would consider CBR.

Have fun deciding/planning and have a fabulous trip!:mickey:

mdhiggin
10-09-2008, 04:56 PM
I've stayed at all of these, except POFQ was POR for me. We got a great deal when we stayed at AKL, and it rained a lot that week which made the restaurants, shop and arcade under the same roof as our room a great plus. We didn't see a lot of animals, but we are not early risers, and we didn't have one of the outside rooms, just walked around outside some.

Our stay at CBR was nice. We loved the theming and didn't go to the park at all that trip. We rode the surrey bikes, played in the pool, enjoyed DD, generally explored other options. Get a preferred room, though. That was my only complaint.

POR my husband liked, but the whole plantation feel was not my favorite.

POP Hey, it's cheap. We can go more often if we go here. Like PPs, if you just need a bed after a long day at the parks, here's your place.

I liked CBR the best, and I heard they have updated the rooms and the pool, so I really want to go back there. Our party of five will have to get two rooms, so it may be awhile.