View Full Version : Poll: Where to stay?

TikiGoddess
10-02-2008, 08:38 AM
So I've won a trip to Disney and the planning is starting!! It includes Deluxe accommodations (concierge level) for 5 nights.

Here's the facts:
Who: me, DH, and two girls (ages 6 and 4)
When: mid August 2009 (Aug 10-17)
Etc: we will have a car and are on the dining plan. We usually eat CS lunch at the resort and take an afternoon nap. DD6 loves pool slides.

We've narrowed it down to a bunch of resorts... wanted to know your ideas. We are also looking to stay for two extra nights at another resort, possibly AKL.

Thanks!!
Kathy

PS Poly is not listed as my husband does not want to stay there (his mom stayed there back in the 90s and said the walls were paper thin)

KatMark
10-02-2008, 09:26 AM
I picked the AKL as it is the only one of the ones you posted that we have any desire to stay at (did the Contemporary--too busy for us; although the GF is very beautiful, it is too "fancy" for us; Wildnerness Lodge is pretty in it's own fashion--but we had issues with CM's on two occasions when we visited there and, again, just not our type).

tikiman
10-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I can't believe with a name like Tikigoddess the Polynesian is not on your list. Has your husband seen what they have done to the Polynesian since the 90's? AAA even upgraded it to a four diamond that only the Yacht Club and Grand Floridian have since they have redone everything.

Well congratulations and good luck with the decision.

Disnamic Duo
10-02-2008, 09:53 AM
As I wrote in a post yesterday, I think Contemporary Resort is THE ultimate Disney vacation. The castle right outside your balcony!

LarryBoy
10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I picked other before I read your post, because the Poly would be my choice if I could pick any Disney resort. The theming, the location, the view, the Poly has it all. Noth to mention they have O'hana, fireworks from the beach, and that awesome new pool.
If I could not pick poly, my second choice would be the Beach Club.

Insanity Clause
10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Given my druthers I would pick AKL. I have never acually stayed there, but that is MY dream. I would love to stay there more than any of the other Deluxes.

mrsgaribaldi
10-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I did other because I wanted to vote for the Poly. I did it before reading your post. We stayed there Jan 07 in the Tokelau building and thin walls were not a problem.:mickey:

c&d
10-02-2008, 10:16 AM
I chose the Contemporary because of its views of the Castle from your room and the option to walk over to the MK.

snuggs30
10-02-2008, 10:18 AM
First off congrats on the trip, was it the lou mongello one? If so i voted for you! :party: this is a tough one because I would want to stay at the Grand Floridian just because I would never ever get the chance to again or I would stay at the poly, because that is so beautiful. The contempory is nice but kind of loud and busy. For a great pool the beach club is awesome too, so wow I would not want to be in your shoes trying to pick the resort (oh yes i would)..haha Congrats:thumbsup: and enjoy!

Polynesian Dweller
10-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I have no idea where the paper thin walls at the Poly comment comes from. The Poly's construction is all concrete modules. It was built of prefab concrete units that were then slid into place so between rooms you actually have two layers of concrete each about 12 inches thick.. Nothing paper thin about that and in fact these are about as thick wallls as you can get..Noise has never been a problem for us at all.

Mackflava99
10-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Beach ckub-
Reason 1- POOL - August is hot-
Reason 2 - PROXIMITY - Walk to Epcot and Boardwalk - short boatride to DHS
Reason 3 - Cool breezes off the lake

RedSoxFan
10-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I voted for Wildnerness Lodge. But if was my choice, I would have picked the Poly too.

tikiman
10-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I have no idea where the paper thin walls at the Poly comment comes from. The Poly's construction is all concrete modules. It was built of prefab concrete units that were then slid into place so between rooms you actually have two layers of concrete each about 12 inches thick.. Nothing paper thin about that and in fact these are about as thick wallls as you can get..Noise has never been a problem for us at all.

You mean steel modules. There was no concrete used in the construction of the rooms. US Steel built them offsite. Just like the Contemporary rooms.

Polynesian Dweller
10-02-2008, 10:47 AM
You mean steel modules. There was no concrete used in the construction of the rooms. US Steel built them offsite. Just like the Contemporary rooms.

Yep, you're tikiman, thanks for the reminder, but when you look at the pictures they are still thick. Gee, I hate getting older. Memory is the second thing that goes, I think.:D

jrkcr
10-02-2008, 10:48 AM
I picked Beach Club, just for the storm along bay pool!! :thumbsup:

Have a great trip, wherever you stay!!! :magic:

tikiman
10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Yep, you're tikiman, thanks for the reminder, but when you look at the pictures they are still thick. Gee, I hate getting older. Memory is the second thing that goes, I think.:D

No problem Polynesian Dweller. We all have our moments ;) . You are right that there is quite a bit of space between rooms. You may also be thinking of back in 2005 they filled in the gap below the rooms with concrete to reduce the old moisture problem.

yjgirl32
10-02-2008, 11:42 AM
I would definately go with AKL- only because I know how much my DS5 wouls love to look out the balcony and see all the really cool animals. He would be so excited- but if I had no kids I might pick the Polynesian just because I would love to go to Hawaii and that reosr tremines me of there. The monorail is also a plus.

mickey&missy
10-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I voted for WL. I reallllllly wanted to vote for Poly though! WL would be my second choose. It's very family friendly and beautiful!!!

DisneyBabies
10-02-2008, 01:01 PM
I voted for GF because if I had any possible chance to get my DD a room with a view of the castle, I'd snap it up in a second.

But . . . DH and I stayed @ Beach Club for our anniversary two years ago and LOVED it! Everyone was wonderful; WAY beyond anything we expected, so if it were just us, we'd stay there again.

Polynesian Dweller
10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
No problem Polynesian Dweller. We all have our moments ;) . You are right that there is quite a bit of space between rooms. You may also be thinking of back in 2005 they filled in the gap below the rooms with concrete to reduce the old moisture problem.

Yeah I do remember a lot of work going on at that time. Wasn't sure exactly what I was seeing but I did see the work in the gaps. Thanks for the info!

KAT1811
10-02-2008, 02:18 PM
:congrats: again!!!! My vote is for the Grand Floridian. Mostly for proximity and ease of transporation to the two "main" parks. While I liked the ease of walking to Epcot from the BC I wasn't impressed with the resort as a whole and the monerail is so much better. The Contemporary's decor just doesn't grab me. The AKL seems too far out of the way. WL is WL but if someone else if footing the bill I'd go all out. Have a great trip!!!!!

Tinkerbella16
10-02-2008, 04:11 PM
My vote went for the Contemporary. If I won a trip and got to choose a deluxe resort, I would choose the Poly first...but CR is just amazing...overlooks the MK, monorail, I heard the rooms/beds are to amazing also. It is my dream to one day stay at a deluxe resort...but financially, it just isn't in the cards.

Congrats!!! How did you win a WDW vacation???
:mickey:

Pixie Power
10-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Well, since the Poly is out, I would choose the Yacht Club. We've stayed at both the Beach Club & Yacht Club and I like both, but prefer the YC, so it got my vote. :thumbsup: Especially since your DD loves to swim and the pool there can't be beaten by any other Disney Resort.

:congrats: On winning your trip! That's wonderful! :mickey:

Mousefever
10-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I voted for the Grand Floridian because it's so close to MK. I think it's the most convenient and the ambiance is so lovely. I think you and DH will appreciate the amount of live music in the lobby and on the mezzanine. We've never stayed there, but we went there to relax one afternoon while waiting for a dinner reservation.

For anyone who wants to know how Kathy won the trip you should check out her homepage. She has a link to a blog about the trip and how she won.

Amy

:dory:

mouseketeer mom
10-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi Kathy! We've stayed concierge level at the Poly, the BC and the AKL and CR. We stayed in a deluxe room at the WL but at that time, club level was not included with those rooms as it is now. My vote would be for the Poly. Our favorite for sure. But...if that wasn't a choice, I would go for the CR, or GF. To me,the CR is classic Disney, with million dollar views.... I haven't stayed GF club level, but what a terrific chance to experience the flagship resort, on the house!!! So, I would chose one of them!

CU Tiger
10-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Wilderness Lodge is my all time favorite. :number1: I love the theme, its’ view of MK, the access to FW, and the boat transportation to MK, the contemporary, and FW. :mickey:

TikiGoddess
10-03-2008, 06:05 PM
So there's a new twist in the planning for my dream vacation... check out my homepage if you want to find out! :D

Kathy

Belster
10-03-2008, 11:12 PM
I voted for the AKL because I would love to try it out. I love the Poly though and have never had a problem with noise, I would give it a try. What a wonderful gift to win a Disney vacation, enjoy.

threeh
10-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I choose boardwalk but I think all the epcot resort area resorts are a good pick. You can walk to EPCOT and MGM and being on the dining plan head to either for a meal, also all the resorts have eateries. We've stayed BC conciege and it was nice. BW has deluxe rooms in concierge they are a wee bit bigger with a 2nd tv and doors that seperate sitting area from beds. Those rooms I hear have a nice boardwalk view.

Happy planning:mickey:

DisneyNut2005
10-04-2008, 05:12 PM
I agree with the folks that have said that the Poly is where you should stay...and for the same reasons as theirs, plus it has that beautiful, tropical atmosphere that it has.

Another factor to consider is that the Poly is really a continuation of the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland.

iheartmickey
10-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I voted GF.

I think it's such a choice hotel to stay in ... especially when someone else is paying! :thumbsup:

Melanie
10-04-2008, 06:31 PM
First of all, congrats on the win, Kathy! Your hard work paid off. :fworks:

In my own personal preference, I have no desire to ever stay at the Grand Floridian, free or not. I voted Contemporary all the way. Poly would have been second choice.

Mom2princesses
10-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Wow!! Congrats to you and your family! I loved the story of how you won and had tears in my eyes reading about the part when you told your daughter dreams really do come true if you work really hard to get them. My first choice would be the Poly. But out of your choices I would pick the GF. The monorail resorts rock! Have a great trip! :number1:

RAIDER
10-06-2008, 06:28 AM
If it was my choice i would go to the contempary :thumbsup:

tikiman
10-06-2008, 09:57 AM
So there's a new twist in the planning for my dream vacation... check out my homepage if you want to find out! :D

Kathy

Well don't worry, where ever you can get in will be great and I am sure will be a trip to remember.

WDWFanatic
10-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Can't wait to hear where you will be staying Kathy.

Loved your blog. You are one lucky girl :thumbsup:, but I think you know that.:party:

IloveDisney71
10-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I voted for AKL because that is the one place I would stay if money wasn't an option. I will say that when splurged in Dec. '07 and stayed at the Poly we LOVED it. We didn't notice a noise problem at all and really enjoyed being able to use the monorail.
I think your kids would enjoy seeing the animals at AKL (I know I would! LOL).:D

SBETigg
10-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I would go to the Grand Floridian. It's my favorite resort. It has amazing dining options, great shopping, wonderful pools, hot tubs. The Electric Water Pageant and great fireworks viewing. It's relaxed elegance. We've never felt underdressed or stuffy there. I think it's lovely and comfortable. Also, it's nice to have convenient transportation and a great, easy place to go back to in the heat of August. Whatever you choose, I'm so excited for you!

badkitty
10-06-2008, 06:22 PM
I would go with Poly if I won a free trip for the same reasons previous posters listed.

laward32
10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Congrats for your hard work. I am glad you won. I would have said Poly too, but my next choice is WL. I haven't stayed at either but they are the top two on my wish list. Hope you have a great trip.:mickey:

Tbelle1976
10-06-2008, 11:54 PM
I went with the Beach Club, I think it's an absoutely beautiful resort!

jwallace378
10-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Beach Club:thumbsup:

TikiGoddess
10-21-2008, 07:55 PM
So I finally heard from my travel agent today, and she gave us two choices based on our preferences and the prize budget:

Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge

So.... we chose both! Actually, the free 5 night stay will be at the WL concierge, and we're adding on 2 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge ourselves. I am perfectly happy. Sure it would have been nice to be on the monorail, but to be honest I think the Wilderness Lodge has the best theming and a very good location out of all the deluxe resorts.

We are very excited for our first concierge trip... not exactly sure what we're in for, but I'm counting down the days until I walk into the WL lobby and feel like I'm home!!

Kathy

PS Keep your eyes peeled for more threads about our vacation... I think next will be dining and restaurants...

WDWFanatic
10-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Great choices. That's great you were able to add a couple days on to your prize.