PDA

View Full Version : Love bugs return

DisneyHoneymooners
09-29-2008, 09:52 AM
We just got back (9/28) from a week long stay at AKL. Weather was great but they did call for that to change (a lot of rain due this week). I'm sorry to say however that the love bugs have just returned. We had just a few untill Friday morning (9/26). After that they were every where at the resort but not to bad at the parks.
We go this time every year and they seemed worse than last year:( but not as bad as 06:).

EmISeeKayEeWhy
09-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Love Bug season is going to be relatively short this year, the storm season cut into their mating season. They are out but not nearly as bad as a full season.

vicster
09-29-2008, 10:09 AM
We were there a couple of weeks ago and they weren't too bad yet - just annoying.

Sunshine1010
09-29-2008, 11:29 AM
So when will they leave? Hopefully, by this Sunday!

EmISeeKayEeWhy
09-29-2008, 11:53 AM
September is their prime mating month (normally season starts in Aug). By the first or second week of October you should not see anymore.

pidge9101
10-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I just returned on the 30th and we stayed at Saratoga and only had one day (friday, the 26th) where we saw any....they were out but not too annoying. After that we only saw one or two the rest of the week.

faline
10-02-2008, 06:28 PM
We saw a few at the beginning of last month. I certainly expected to see many more than we did.

tinksmom02
10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
We just got back (9/28) from a week long stay at AKL. Weather was great but they did call for that to change (a lot of rain due this week). I'm sorry to say however that the love bugs have just returned. We had just a few untill Friday morning (9/26). After that they were every where at the resort but not to bad at the parks.
We go this time every year and they seemed worse than last year:( but not as bad as 06:).

Yuck, if they were worse than last year, I'm glad we were at the world 2 weeks ago! Last year, they dot steadily worse as the week went on, until the last day, when they were just swarming everywhere.

We only saw a handful when we were there 2 weeks ago. Luck of the draw, I guess...

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I didn't really notice them too much until about Thursday or Friday last week. They were swarming us at the bus stops. But for some reason, I didn't really see them at the parks either.
I also overheard a mother telling her very young daughter that they were "kissing bugs". I thought that was a cute way of referring to them and also of getting out of having to explain what they were doing.

wdwnomad
10-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I was there last week and in the begining they weren't even around. As the week went on more and more started showing up. Compared to what I have seen before it really wasn't that bad. But if that was just the begining of them I am glad I made it out of there before they showed up. Those things are so annoying.

Greenlawler
10-03-2008, 01:09 AM
I concur that the bugs were not as bad as in years past. My family and I noticed however that when we were off property they were twice as bad. Disney Magic or Disney Spraying?

thrillme
10-03-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm actually curious to see them.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
10-03-2008, 06:34 PM

blasphemy!!!... you are going to be cursed. lol

These bugs are a total nuisance. I spend more time washing my dang car during the 2 love bug seasons that doing almost anything else I think.

If you want to see some, I'll be more than happy to scrape some dead ones off my car for you... :D

tinksmom02
10-03-2008, 09:49 PM
I also overheard a mother telling her very young daughter that they were "kissing bugs". I thought that was a cute way of referring to them and also of getting out of having to explain what they were doing.

We tell my daughter that they're hugging.

Polynesian Dweller
10-03-2008, 10:30 PM

The curiosity lasts about 4 seconds from our experience. When we were there a couple of years ago at the high time for the bugs our rental car got absolutely plastered with them from the airport to the Poly. I couldn't believe how coated that thing was, almost no empty space.

Then they were always zipping around us throughout our stay. Fascinating at the beginning, but 4 seconds later what a nuisance.

thrillme
10-05-2008, 05:36 PM
HA HA...I'm quite sure I will grow annoyed as the rest of ya.

We have "dragonflys" not the big ones but lots of little ones. For years I couldn't figure them out because they were ALWAYS connected and always choosing me to land on.

Years later I saw a plane being fueled by another plane. They actually had quite a similar look to it.

Insanity Clause
10-05-2008, 07:49 PM
I might seem terribly naive here but what is the LOVE BUG? Up until now I thought it was a VW bug named Herbie!

tiggersgirl
10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I just got back and the love bugs were out at the beginning of the week, but by the end not so much.

They are 2 little black bugs that fly together and land on you. Looks a little like a box elder bug. They don't do anything but land on you and maybe annoy you a bit.

Ed
10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I might seem terribly naive here but what is the LOVE BUG? Up until now I thought it was a VW bug named Herbie!

All you (n)ever wanted to know about Love Bugs! (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG068)

:bug:

:cool:

Goofy Fan
10-06-2008, 01:40 AM
We just got back and didn't really notice them too much until Wednesday when we were at AK. They were swarming us there. Something to do with the animals?

I don't know, this was my first experience with them and I'm just taking a guess.

Martin2611
10-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Oh yes, we meet many, many, many of the "cute" bugs at our vacation a view years ago - after that we changed our favorite WDW-month into November (bug-free :crazy:)