PDA

View Full Version : 17 Kids and Counting

pixiesmimi
09-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Look out Jon and Kate, you have competition. There is a new show beginning tonight 10:00E/9:00C on TLC about the Duggars that have 17 (now expecting #18) children. Their oldest son got married this weekend and they revealed this morning on TV that the newest one will be a girl, giving them 10 boys and 8 girls. The show will follow them around in their lives. So this sounds like a trend in new shows, following large families in their everyday lives.

Whoa! How do they do it?!

tink179
09-29-2008, 10:23 AM
My dh doesn't like to watch Jon & Kate, but if given the choice he said he would watch them over the Duggers. Jon and Kate are more interesting because of their circumstances. They had 6 at one time that survived and are healthy!! They lead more normal lives. From all the shows I've watched about the Duggers...they actually kinda weird me out! I don't think they should get their own TV show just because they have a lot of kids. Sorry if this offends anyone, but it's just my opinion. My husband and only have 3 he says we should try for 20 maybe we can get our own show! :thumbsup:

pixiesmimi
09-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I have to wonder what kind of job Mr. Duggar has that they can afford all of this. I know one of the shows built their house but today they had a huge bus (they were in FL for the wedding) that has 11 beds and couches, etc. to sleep on and he said they travel everywhere in it, not just this trip. Last year she said that she would like to have more and he seemed a little hesitant about it and then said, "Whatever she wants". This time she said they would love to have more and he kind of looked at her. You just have to wonder how they afford all of this! And they are always so calm that it is unreal! It will just be interesting to see in their everyday life it is always this calm or if their days go like Jon and Kate's do.

mouseketeer mom
09-29-2008, 11:04 AM
In the Duggars, it seems as though the older children take on alot of the parenting roles as well, caring for the younger ones, cooking, cleaning, the works. Its like they have built in help.

LauraleeH
09-29-2008, 11:39 AM
My dh doesn't like to watch Jon & Kate, but if given the choice he said he would watch them over the Duggers. Jon and Kate are more interesting because of their circumstances. They had 6 at one time that survived and are healthy!! They lead more normal lives. From all the shows I've watched about the Duggers...they actually kinda weird me out! I don't think they should get their own TV show just because they have a lot of kids. Sorry if this offends anyone, but it's just my opinion. My husband and only have 3 he says we should try for 20 maybe we can get our own show! :thumbsup:
Yeah, I agree...part of the reason why Jon and Kate Plus 8 is so popular is because they're more exciting, and...let's face it. They are good-looking. The kids are adorable and Kate does her hair and make-up every day, Jon is trying to find his hair and lose his weight. They don't have older kids to cook and clean, so they are almost on their own.
I just don't see the new show taking off like that. I won't be watching.

Edit: Plus, I believe that none of the Duggars are twins, triplets, etc...
That's just insane. Sorry, but you've got to have either some kind of mental problems, too much money, or too much time on your hands.

WeLuvBuzz
09-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Personally both families creep me out. The Duggars are too nice and happy and I agree with the about poster that the older kids are really raising the younger ones. They seem almost fake. As for the Gosselins, when Kate had the twins in tears because they could not use markers because they might get dirty and get washable markers on their clothes, that did it for me. I am sure they are all very nice people, but too much info for me into their lives.

tink179
09-29-2008, 11:54 AM
I agree with all the older children having to take on the roles as "second parents" Not fair to those kids.They don't get to lead normal lives. Makes you wonder how happy the kids really are.:( They're making money from all the shows that they've done. Makes you wonder how happy the kids really are. They probably don't get too much attention from their parents. I like Jon and Kate. It shows their meltdowns and their disagreements. It's REAL! I have only 3 and when I watch that show and she gets through a day just fine I know I can do it too!! :number1:Yes, Kate gets a little nutty about the kids staying clean, but if I had that much laundry to do I probably would want them to stay clean as much as possible too!!! :mickey:

krose78
09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Edit: Plus, I believe that none of the Duggars are twins, triplets, etc...
That's just insane. Sorry, but you've got to have either some kind of mental problems, too much money, or too much time on your hands.

There are at least two sets of twins. Not that it makes it any better.

LauraleeH
09-29-2008, 02:01 PM
There are at least two sets of twins. Not that it makes it any better.
Ok, I just did a quick search on Yahoo, and the Duggars are not even the same family I'm thinking about! The ones I saw on tv the other day had just about the same amount of kids, but their boys were a lot older, and the mom was real spacey.
I've never even seen this family so I can't say much, but I still think it's crazy. As for all of the money they have, I'm sure their church helps out a LOT!!!

Lacy
09-29-2008, 08:58 PM
I have to say I don't understand this trend in shows at all. I don't really think that having a lot of children is a reason to get a TV show. I've watched Jon & Kate a couple of times and found it pretty boring. I think these stories are interesting on 1 hour specials or something but an entire TV series seems like too much. Just my 2 cents!

DrivingSideways
09-30-2008, 04:13 AM
I know they own several commercial businesses/other real estate that funds their income. They also claim to be debt-free.

When Jim Bob ran for political office (Senate, maybe) a few years ago, his campaign was partially self-financed and he supposedly "owes" himself at least $100K.

They've probably invested well, had a bit o' money to begin with, and of course, TLC has probably given them a pretty penny for the shows, I'd think.

On previous specials, they also made kind of a big deal on the fact that they buy everything in bulk and used where they can.

Their website is pretty interesting and their oldest son just got married a few days ago.

(I'm a little fascinated by these guys, can you tell? :blush:)

pink
10-09-2008, 06:55 PM
This family creeps me out. I was just watching the newest special about their oldest son getting married and was shocked. His proposal to his girlfriend was so awkward, they acted like kids in middle school going on their first date. When the mom said that they decided to chose to save their first kiss for their wedding day I almost fell off my chair. Then they ask permission to hold hands and they're getting married! :confused:I'm sorry but that is one wierd group of people.

MNNHFLTX
10-10-2008, 03:07 PM
I am neither a fan nor critic of the Duggars (or Jon and Kate either), but it is my understanding that their lifestyle is the result of their religious beliefs (i.e. having as many kids as God blesses them with, no kissing before marriage, etc.). Because of my personal beliefs about overpopulation I would not choose to have such a large family myself (which is evident by the fact that DH and I only have one child!) But I do not think that it qualifies them as insane because they choose to do it. Especially as they seem to make it work very well.

Jenemmy
10-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Wow -- the poor kid made me so nervous with his proposal that I had to pause the 'ol DVR and walk away from it! Not that I thought she would say no, I was just nervous as all heck over the sheer awkwardness! I am a Christian myself, and I did marry the first man I dated, but we started kissing waaaaaay back -- LOLOL. I kept thinking if that boy gets all those "firsts" on the same day, he may need to be hospitalized!

The only thing that really threw me though was that they had never been anywhere without a chaperone. They are getting married and never had a private face to face conversation????

pixiesmimi
10-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I wonder if they will live with his or her parents. If they were almost strangers, we'll say, when they got married, what do they know about living together or being out on their own? Of course, he definately knows what a family is all about and how to run a household from his personal experiences but that is really different when you live with someone else and are on your own, earning a living, etc. Whoa! That has all got to be awkward.

DisneyFreak23
10-11-2008, 10:45 AM
This family creeps me out. I was just watching the newest special about their oldest son getting married and was shocked. His proposal to his girlfriend was so awkward, they acted like kids in middle school going on their first date. When the mom said that they decided to chose to save their first kiss for their wedding day I almost fell off my chair. Then they ask permission to hold hands and they're getting married! :confused:I'm sorry but that is one wierd group of people.

ditto

love Jon and Kate:)
cant stand the Duggars.

murphy1
01-27-2009, 10:05 AM
I was going to start a thread but found this, these people just creep me out, too, I don't know about all of this. More power to them, but gee whiz. I think I would have adopted some kids, too. And then on the wedding show, the girl who married the oldest boy has to obey and the dad was saying that he was the authority for her as an "obedient" wife:confused: I did like the one girl cousin, she was a hoot!

DizNee143
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I was going to start a thread but found this, these people just creep me out, too, I don't know about all of this. More power to them, but gee whiz. I think I would have adopted some kids, too. And then on the wedding show, the girl who married the oldest boy has to obey and the dad was saying that he was the authority for her as an "obedient" wife:confused: I did like the one girl cousin, she was a hoot!

ya..these duggar people are something special!
i know its what they believe in and all that..but i just feel like they are brainwashed..and yes..cousin amy..such a normal girl..wonder how that all happened!! lol...
if you have noticed though..with them having an actual show now and not just specials..it seems they are coming more up to date with colthes and what not...also did you see the coming attractions for the next episode..they are somewhere..and they come across "strange blown glass pieces" seriously who does not know what they are looking at? i was cracking up so much when i saw that..im like seriously? i hope jim bob was joking there!!!

NotaGeek
01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
I really think this is a show in bad taste ... and a commercial for their religious beliefs. The worst part is all of these kids will grow up with their parents crazy convictions ... or worse, if they choose to move away and live a "normal" life -- then what? I have actually written letters to the network that this show doesn't show a regular family ... the way the women are discounted as subservient to their husbands and the fact that the kids higher education seems to be nonexistent is really a sad testimony to what is considered good television. :soapbox:

thrillme
01-27-2009, 01:10 PM
The Duggars...well what they do is their business (I don't have a clue how they can remember everybody's names...I probably just would have quit naming them after a while and started calling them "Hey you BOY", and Hey you GIRL" after a while).

No "kissing" before marriage??? Even "I" am more this century than that. How will you know if you're gonna end up with a "prince" or a "frog"?

I'm personally not comfortable with the idea of having so many kids but...to their consideration...at least they're not using tax dollars to do it. I figure they've got to be hurting a bit financially at this point to have signed up for the "show". I just can't wrap my mind around the concept of being pregnant for the last 20+ years. I don't personally appreciate the idea of as soon as the baby hits about 2 mamma Dugger "assigns" them an older sibling. :confused:

Jon and Kate....They wanted to try for ONE more and she ended up pregnant with 6...oops. But in the last few years they knew when to STOP.

The lastest couple in California just gave birth to 8...yes 8. WOW. I was surprised to find out a Nigerian couple had 8 (one died shortly after birth) 10 years ago. All are doing well.

Twins would have been enough to send me to the closet crying and sucking my thumb. I don't think I could handle two babies at one time...one was enough.:D

I do hope the Duggars STOP soon. There's no need to set world records here. I'm thinking she's probably got another 8-10 years left.

PirateLover
01-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I really think this is a show in bad taste ... and a commercial for their religious beliefs. The worst part is all of these kids will grow up with their parents crazy convictions ... or worse, if they choose to move away and live a "normal" life -- then what? I have actually written letters to the network that this show doesn't show a regular family ... the way the women are discounted as subservient to their husbands and the fact that the kids higher education seems to be nonexistent is really a sad testimony to what is considered good television. :soapbox:
I totally get what you're saying here. Sometimes I watch the show "Big Love." It is a lifestyle I would never approve of and in a way reminds me of the Duggars (no multiple wives obviously but they seemingly live in an outdated world where women are subservient etc). The difference being that "Big Love" is the product of writers and "17 Kids and Counting" is real and these people are getting money for this. I do respect that they are "doing it on their own" without government money, and that having all the kids is a result of their religion- I mean it even eschews the family planning method. But something just seems creepy about the whole thing.

ETA: Maybe they should sleep in Lucy and Ricky separate beds for while ;)

LauraleeH
01-27-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't understand how this is legal. And how is this woman even healthy?!

MegPeg85
01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
I definitely don't agree with their lifestyle and I really feel sorry for all of the children, but I find their show fascinating! I spent the whole wedding episode thinking how horribly subservient all the women are...the Duggar girls seem to be outgoing kids and I hate that they are destined for a life like their mother.

Btw, is it just me, or is cousin Amy REALLY annoying and appears to be a camera hog?

Melanie
01-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I don't understand how this is legal. And how is this woman even healthy?!

Well, they can legally do whatever they want in that department. But yeah, I can't believe her body has been able to withstand all she's put it through. I think she's only had one (or maybe two) multiple births?

pixiesmimi
01-27-2009, 11:56 PM
I totally get what you're saying here. Sometimes I watch the show "Big Love." It is a lifestyle I would never approve of and in a way reminds me of the Duggars (no multiple wives obviously but they seemingly live in an outdated world where women are subservient etc). The difference being that "Big Love" is the product of writers and "17 Kids and Counting" is real and these people are getting money for this. I do respect that they are "doing it on their own" without government money, and that having all the kids is a result of their religion- I mean it even eschews the family planning method. But something just seems creepy about the whole thing.

ETA: Maybe they should sleep in Lucy and Ricky separate beds for while ;)

Well they have asked them several times on other shows if this will be their last baby and he has said yes, and then deferred to his wife who said "We would love more if God so chooses to give them to us" whereas he replies "Whatever she wants." ???? Who sounds subserviant here? Sounds like he is ready to be done with it. Sure she likes it, she hands them off to someone else to take care of. It would be a different story if she were taking care of each one separately on her own without the older kids to help babysit.

beksy
01-28-2009, 12:12 AM
They were even talking on the pre-wedding show when Josh took the older girls to Florida to help with the wedding that they couldn't stay long because of needing to get the girls back to help out. What really got me in the wedding ceremony, though, was when they promised to basically not use birth control and have as many children as God gives them! I thought the part where Jim Bob was trying to explain the birds and the bees to Josh was pretty good though. I just wonder if Anna got a similar conversation or if she has to depend on Josh in that area too?

Melanie
01-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Just a gentle reminder, although no one has gone too far yet, to keep this family friendly. Thanks everyone! :)

gueli
01-28-2009, 04:49 AM
I for one do not like this show. I will not watch it. I doubt very much that TLC is giving them "lots of money" , just the attention that they crave.
Jon & Kate- as for what I have seen (my mom loves this show), they seem reasonably normal & without the shows help they would not be able to do some of the things that they have done (parphrasing kates words). Basicaly they seem as real as reality tv gets (warts and all...)

Mickey'sGirl
01-28-2009, 08:52 AM
I am not even remotely religious, and am absolutely a feminist -- but I LOVE THE DUGGARS! Give me them over that Jon and Kate and their jealous offspring any day. Say what you will, but my impression is that the children are all well spoken, well behaved and socially engaged individuals. It baffles my mind!

MNNHFLTX
01-29-2009, 11:09 AM
I do hope the Duggars STOP soon. There's no need to set world records here. I'm thinking she's probably got another 8-10 years left.Considering that she's 42 years old, I would think 8-10 years would be a stretch (at least not without a little help from science, which would be unlikely, based on their religious beliefs).

More disconcerting to me is that all the children's names begin with "J". I'm just not into that. :shake:

NotaGeek
01-29-2009, 11:43 AM
I for one do not like this show. I will not watch it. I doubt very much that TLC is giving them "lots of money" , just the attention that they crave.

Really? Come on, it's got decent ratings and EVERYONE on the show gets paid ... so all the kids, everyone. That was part of the problem on John an Kate ...

I doubt that Mr. Duggar or his lawyers haven't made sure that the family is well compensated, fame and all. And let's not forget product placement....