PDA

View Full Version : Child safety lock on balcony doors?

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
09-28-2008, 01:03 PM
We are looking to book our first Disney cruise with our 8-year-old and 5-year-old. We would like to book a balcony room, but we are concerned about whether the kids would be able to open the balcony door by themselves. We absolutely would NOT want them going out on the balcony by themselves. (Obviously, the kids would never be in the room without at least one adult anyway. But I can envision a scenario where one adult is in the room with the kids and the adult has to use the bathroom, even for a minute.) Is there any sort of child safety mechanism on the sliding door leading out to the balcony?

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

TexasPrincessAurora
09-28-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't remember it being a child safety lock per say, but I remember it having two components and both had to be unlocked to open the door. Our son was 3 when we went on our cruise and he could not open the door by himself.

TammiMcMan
09-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I have a tough time opening the balcony doors and I'm an adult :secret:. The levers are fairly high up on the door and the suction created between the outside air and the room, make for a pretty tough yank before the slider can be opened. If you're concerned and maybe want an added measure of safety, you could pack something like an adjustable curtain rod to place between the door and the end of the slider or something that would fit in the slot at the bottom of the sliding track to prevent it from being opened.

You may want to ask DCL if they provide them, although it's not something that I remember seeing.

ElenitaB
09-28-2008, 07:29 PM
I have a tough time opening the balcony doors and I'm an adult.
:exactly:
Tammi took the words right out of my keyboard! I had the hardest time trying to figure out how to open the balcony door! :blush:

Ed
09-29-2008, 06:21 AM
:exactly:
Tammi took the words right out of my keyboard! I had the hardest time trying to figure out how to open the balcony door! :blush:

Yeah, but remember... you and Tammi are adults. Kids can figure out how to crack open a bank vault in about 4.6 nanoseconds. ;)

If memory serves me correctly (no guarantees there!) one of the latches is almost at the top of the door. I had to have our room steward show us where it was! :blush:

Experiment626
10-01-2008, 08:13 AM
I will add that I also have a hard time opening the door. It isn't that its complicated it is that the door is quite heavy and the air pressure builds up and is extremely difficult to open.

#1disneyfan
10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
If memory serves me correctly (no guarantees there!) one of the latches is almost at the top of the door. I had to have our room steward show us where it was! :blush:

Yes, the one latch is near the top of the door.

And I had to laugh at the above posters having problems opening the door. We too had the same issues and in fact I called the front desk while we were still at port because we could not get the door open. We were trying to push the door open instead of sliding it :blush:!