PDA

View Full Version : Davey Jones missing at POTC

DisneyCrazy4444
09-26-2008, 08:19 AM
On our trip last week, we rode POTC numerous times on different days, and at the beginning of the ride, the Davey Jones image on the water was GONE! Does anyone know anything about that?

big blue and hairy
09-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Most likely a problem with the misters that allows his image to be seen. When were you there?

:sulley:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-26-2008, 08:37 AM
I've seen it happen a few times but I don't know why it does it.

The first time I was like hey...this doesn't look right, and it wasn't until we were near the first skeletons on the beach that I realized Davy was gone.

Maybe he got called back to the Dutchman?

DisneyCrazy4444
09-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Most likely a problem with the misters that allows his image to be seen. When were you there?

:sulley:

I was there the week of the 13 - 19 September.

LauraleeH
09-26-2008, 11:29 AM
I was there the week before and he was working. Was the audio turned off as well?

sdewan
09-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Labor Day weekend we saw the same problem at Disneyland. The audio was on, but no mist for the image to be projected on.

grumpyguy
09-26-2008, 12:05 PM
that's a bummer!!thats one of my favorite parts
since the rehab..

MidnTPK
09-26-2008, 03:32 PM
I rode during the EMHs on 9/21. Audio was on, but no image or misters.

bertasso59
09-26-2008, 06:27 PM
We rode it first thing on our first day last week. There were no lines so we rode it four times in a row.The first two times Davey Jones was working,the third the mist wasnt working but the audio and video still played(Davey was projected right on our bodies)and the fourth time it was down.Later in the week we rode at night and it was working fine.
I also noticed that the skull that warned of 'rough seas ahead" was missing.There was only a few lit up holes on the wall by the skeleton helmsman.

Ian
09-26-2008, 08:04 PM
We rode four times between the 18th and the 24th ... three times Davy was missing and once (for MNSSHP) he was working.

To me that indicates that they shut him off intentionally. It's too much of a coincidence that he just happened to be working during the hard ticket, after hours event.

Especially because we rode again after MNSSHP and he was turned off again. Kinda shabby ...

Ian
09-26-2008, 08:06 PM
I also noticed that the skull that warned of 'rough seas ahead" was missing.There was only a few lit up holes on the wall by the skeleton helmsman.That skull was removed as part of the rehab and hasn't been back since.

pink
09-26-2008, 08:31 PM
If it's true that they just turn it off, that kind of bothers me. :mad:

That was my favorite part of the ride and the rehab. I'm hoping it's there for DBF first trip on Sunday. :mickey:

tinksmom02
09-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I had to cover my DD6's eyes during the Davy Jones part, and we went through about 1/3 of the ride before I realized that we'd past the part, and that DJ wasn't working LOL

Our friends rode POTC one day while we were there (we'd split up) and not only was DJ not there, the ride broke down. They got stuck for 15-20. Luckily, the little one fell asleep and had a nice nap!

homeschool mom
09-26-2008, 10:56 PM
We were there the 13th - 19th as well and he was on the mist when we rode.

iDisney
09-28-2008, 12:57 AM
I hope they get it fixed! That was such a neat effect!

Greenlawler
09-29-2008, 02:01 PM
no mist last week

DigitalDaredevil
09-30-2008, 01:12 AM
We rode it twice at the MNSSHP on the 23rd and the mist, video, and audio were not working either time. I didn't realize how much I liked that effect until it was missing.
I did know that the Skull warning of rough seas was gone, but I'd like to see that back.
At the end of the Hollywood Studios Backlot tour, there is a great video on how they did Davey Jones' face. It is quite interesting if you have not seen it yet.

Imagineer1981
09-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Thats a great effect and they better get it up and running.

I hope this isn't another YETI!!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-30-2008, 02:50 PM
We were there the 20-28th and he was only working on one of our many rides through.

Tinkerkel
09-30-2008, 04:12 PM
We rode POTC on Saturday, 9/20 (not a party night) & the misters, projection & audio were all working. We rode again on 9/24 & all that was working was the audio.

garthbarth1
09-30-2008, 10:33 PM
We were there last week wed-this sunday and rode pirtaes four times over several different days...he was working every time! HTH :)

Jeff G
10-01-2008, 12:19 AM
We rode POTC 9/20, 9/24, 9/26 & 9/28 (yes we are addicted and it was my three year old DS's favorite ride) at least twice a day and it was working on every one. My brother did mention that on one of their rides it wan't working but 30 minutes later it was for us.

azcavalier
10-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Hmmm...we were there from the 19th to the 29th and rode it many times, and not once was the mist running. The audio was running every time, though. I was bummed, because I think that is the *coolest* effect.

Also on the Nemo ride at The Seas, the fish that chases Marlin with the little light dangling wasn't working the entire time we were there, either. Neither was the mechanical shark with the hook in his snout (I can't remember that character's name). It seemed that we were on many rides that had issues with effects and mechanics.

sdewan
10-01-2008, 10:48 AM
It seemed that we were on many rides that had issues with effects and mechanics.

Do you think this is because its the end of the Summer season, and its been a while since most rides have had a refurbishment?

Demyx
10-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I was there last week and no trace of our fine tentacled friend :( I didn't even hear any audio.

My theory? He's run off with the moving Yeti!

huzzah4
10-01-2008, 02:46 PM
We were there the 26th - 29th. Davy was in his locker on Friday but came out to play on Monday.

Ian
10-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Hmmm...we were there from the 19th to the 29th ... Also on the Nemo ride at The Seas, the fish that chases Marlin with the little light dangling wasn't working the entire time we were there, either. Neither was the mechanical shark with the hook in his snout (I can't remember that character's name). It seemed that we were on many rides that had issues with effects and mechanics.Yeah, we were there about the same time and noticed that, too.

Lots of mechanical issues this trip ... I think that tends to happen by the time the busy summer season is over, because the parks are open so much longer that they don't have as much time for maintenance.

Wickster1970
10-01-2008, 03:28 PM
I can't wait to ride it since its refurb.:mickey:
I hope Davy is up and running.

tinklover
10-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Do you think this is because its the end of the Summer season, and its been a while since most rides have had a refurbishment?

I can not speak of teh other rides but POTC was just down for refurb in June.

Aurora
10-01-2008, 04:19 PM
So this is my unscientific accounting based only on posts from this thread:

week of Sept. 7, working
Sept. 13-19, numerous times different days not working, once working
Sept. 18-24, three times no mist, once working (MNSSHP)
week of Sept. 19, three times working, once no mist, once nothing
Sept. 19-29, many times no mist
Sept. 20-28, working only once of many rides through
Sept. 20, two times working
Sept. 21, EMH – no mist
week of Sept. 21, nothing
week of Sept. 22, no mist
Sept. 23, two times nothing (MNSSHP)
Sept. 24, once no mist, two times working
Sept. 24–29, four times working
Sept. 26, once not working, two times working
Sept. 28, two times working
Sept. 29, working

Not a good track record, if you ask me.

Demyx
10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
After consulting a calendar, the date of my visit was also the 23rd, although I rode the attraction before the Halloween party. Guess it was broken all day...

kathiep
10-01-2008, 05:47 PM
We rode POTC about 5 times between 9/19 & 9/27. 3 times - no audio, no visual. The other 2 we had audio but still no visual.

The first time through I kept thinking we hadn't gotten to that part yet, but knew something was wrong when we hit the drop without seeing him. Bummer.

DigitalDaredevil
10-02-2008, 03:35 AM
We rode Nemo on the 22nd of September. The big fish with the big teeth that chases Nemo mechanical display was not working at all. I also never have seen the shark with the hook in his nose do anything. Am I missing something there or does it just not do anything?

I always look for things that don't work. In the Cinema Sign on SSE there were some missing bulbs in the lower right corner. I know it is petty.

handmaidenofprincesses
10-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Oh no, that's the best part of the ride! I certainly hope they get him suqared away before my aunt and I get there in January. The way I've been talking up the new rehab, she'll be disappointed if hes not there.

Ian
10-02-2008, 09:41 AM
I can not speak of teh other rides but POTC was just down for refurb in June.I'll be honest ... in this case I can't possibly imagine it's a maintenance issue. I mean how complicated is it? It's a projector and a smoke machine. If Disney can't keep those low-grade effects working consistently, they have a bigger issue. :secret:

Imagineer1981
10-02-2008, 10:35 AM
I'll be honest ... in this case I can't possibly imagine it's a maintenance issue. I mean how complicated is it? It's a projector and a smoke machine. If Disney can't keep those low-grade effects working consistently, they have a bigger issue. :secret:

agreed. I wonder what the issue is here? Do you think the water is hard and the misters get coated in build up, like your shower head at home? Maybe they need a good cleaning

sdewan
10-02-2008, 11:01 AM
We rode Nemo on the 22nd of September.... I also never have seen the shark with the hook in his nose do anything. Am I missing something there or does it just not do anything?

I could swear that I remember that shark extending and retracting his head about 6 inches when the attraction first opened. But the last few times I've been on Nemo I've stared at the shark waiting to see some movement but could only detect MAYBE an inch of movement very infrequently (or my eyes were just playing tricks on me.)

Given that the shark didn't do much to begin with, you'd think it would be a very simple mechanism and very easy to fix.

But I've heard that WDW classifies show elements into those that would force a ride closure, and those that the attraction can continue without. For example, if the auctioneer pirate in POTC stopped working, the whole attraction would close. But if the parrot perched on the drunken pirates' shoulder broke down, they'd simply remove it and keep the attraction operating. So it's these minor show elements that are not getting repaired quickly, and only us disneyphiles that have seen each attraction umpteen times that notice the difference.

My father is definitely not a Disney fan, but every one or two years he'll go to Disneyland with us for the sake of his grandkids. And the most ironic thing is he makes the same comment every single visit, "It amazes me that everything is kept working all the time." His timing for this statement always makes me laugh, because he usually utters it right after we've passed a doll in It's A Small World or some other show element that has been removed for not functioning, and at the very moment I'm thinking "wow, it's broken" he's stating how impressed he is that everything works. Because he does not go frequently enough to notice the difference.

Crow
10-02-2008, 10:42 PM
it was there early Sept

TennesseeTink
10-03-2008, 12:20 AM
So this is my unscientific accounting based only on posts from this thread:

week of Sept. 7, working
Sept. 13-19, numerous times different days not working, once working
Sept. 18-24, three times no mist, once working (MNSSHP)
week of Sept. 19, three times working, once no mist, once nothing
Sept. 19-29, many times no mist
Sept. 20-28, working only once of many rides through
Sept. 20, two times working
Sept. 21, EMH – no mist
week of Sept. 21, nothing
week of Sept. 22, no mist
Sept. 23, two times nothing (MNSSHP)
Sept. 24, once no mist, two times working
Sept. 24–29, four times working
Sept. 26, once not working, two times working
Sept. 28, two times working
Sept. 29, working

Not a good track record, if you ask me.

How's this for strange? DD and I rode it 9/18 AM and HALF of Davey was in the mist. ALL the mist but HALF of Davey. We rode it several more times from 9/18-9/22 and audio worked but no DAVEY or mist.

mdhiggin
10-03-2008, 07:56 AM
We were there 19th-28th. It was off the most of the week for us but back on the last day we went. Also, the yeti " was sick" at EE, according to CMs. He didn't show up on the ride.

pink
10-05-2008, 04:48 PM
We rode it September 28th and 29th and all the effects were working both times. :mickey:

Goofy Fan
10-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Huh, strange.

We rode it the evenings of Sept 27th and Sept 29th and he was working both times.

sophie peach
10-06-2008, 03:53 PM
it was back fully working on monday 29
i was there 16-30 september

dsnyfan001
10-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey I was there on the 17th and He wasnt working I was bummed because I took my parents and they never seen the newer version of the ride... what a bummer :(

JohnnyJayhawk
10-06-2008, 09:16 PM
We got back yesterday and he was there within the past couple of days.

Imagineer1981
10-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I guess Davy Jones, the Yeti, the newsboy from SE, the Squaking parrot, and any other missing figure all have a secret clubhouse in the Utilidor where they play cards and hang out.

IamBelle
10-07-2008, 06:22 PM
That happened to us we went from Aug.23-Sept2, i don't remember the exact day. The mist wasn't there, I can't remember if audio was there. I remember going passed it thinking, it was around the other bend, but after we went down the hill, I realized he wasn't there.

paragon
10-08-2008, 11:41 AM
We were there last week ( Sept 27-Oct 4 ), rode POTC many times during the week, he was always there. One day we walked right on, empty boat in front of us, and behind. We had the boat to ourselves. I blew at the mist,waterfall and davey Jones dissappeared because the hollogram image had no smoke to appear on!