PDA

View Full Version : Disney Mania Question #9

KAT1811
09-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Okay, with the increase in gas prices and the subsequent impact on airline flights there has been much talk about alternate modes of transportation to Disney. Given the choices of flying, driving, or going by train which do you choose?

Disney Mania Question #10 will appear tomorrow in the Theme Parks (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/forumdisplay.php?f=17) forum.

EmISeeKayEeWhy
09-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Fly! definately. We've drove to WDW twice w/kids and by the time we got there we needed stiff drinks and a couple of cages...

KAT1811
09-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Fly! definately. We've drove to WDW twice w/kids and by the time we got there we needed stiff drinks and a couple of cages...

:funny: LOL!!!!!

joonyer
09-25-2008, 04:16 PM
We drive, but its only a 5 hour drive for us. Even at today's gas prices near $4.00 per gallon, it still takes us only about $140.00 for gas, round trip. No way we can fly 4 of us for that little. And it is nice to be able to drive right to our resort.

On our next visit, in 2 weeks, we are camping at FW for the first time, so we are pulling our camper. No choice but to drive for this trip.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-25-2008, 04:44 PM
We take the train.

Best of both worlds...we don't have to drive all of the way down to Disney, but we can bring our car with us on the Autotrain.

BigRedDad
09-25-2008, 05:00 PM
We fly. Since it is only three of us, plane tix are usually $200 each. It is not too bad. It will cost almost $250 in gas, but it will add 13-14 hours to our travel time. For that much time, the extra $350 is worth it.

ojeilatan
09-25-2008, 05:55 PM
We fly, due to where we live. 2,000 miles from Wyoming is not a fun drive :(

thumperbug
09-25-2008, 06:51 PM
If I was 20, single and traveling with some of my best pals....I might try the drive...but we are talking about a 20++ our drive.

Only way I would drive is to break it up and make 1 or 2 stops overnight on the way. To do that....it would have to be a minimum 11-12 day vacaton...need at least 7 days at WDW....

MickeyMousse
09-25-2008, 07:07 PM
We're driving.....again. :car: It still is cheaper with 3 gas fill ups both ways than it is for us to fly.

And since our DS's have gotten older, the trip down 95 has gotten better over the years!!

JasonH
09-25-2008, 08:21 PM
For me I chose driving, especially when it comes to family trips. With 5 adults and 2 children and one big van, it's cheaper to drive than it is to fly AND we have our own vehic to use if we need to go somewhere the Disney Transportation can't take us...such as Universal Studios.

And call me crazy, but even if I were to go on a solo trip to WDW, I'd still drive down there. 2,000 miles round trip isn't that bad and worth the scenery that I have along the way as well as the different places to stop at too. And I've done 3 solo trips so far in my life and every time I drove. :D

mickeyfan2001
09-25-2008, 09:43 PM
With us only living 3 hours away we drive. We are moving to Michigan in the next year or so and that might require flying...If I can get over my fear of it first...:(

BMan62
09-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Easy one for me -- Fly! 2 hours 10 minutes airtime versus 16+ hours drive time (and the wear and tear on the driver!! ME!)

Phantasia
09-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Drive! That's how we did it every year when we were kids, and, for me it'll always be the "way it should be done."

It's 2000 kms, but as a previous poster mentioned, that's 2000 kms of a lot to see, and it's a GREAT way to build up the anticipation.

Coming from Ontario, especially certain times of the year, you drive from knee-deep snow, to spring weather, to peeling off layers, to shorts, sunshine and orange juice! :cloud9:

We've flown before, and certainly for 1-week vacations it's pretty much the only way to do it. But this time, we're doing our classic drive down the I-75!

(It's the first time my BF has ever done a road trip of any sort ... he's incredibly uneasy and nervous. Me? I feel like I grew up on the road ... I have winged feet! Just point me in a direction and give me a push to get me started.)

SurferStitch
09-25-2008, 11:23 PM
We're driving.....again. :car: It still is cheaper with 3 gas fill ups both ways than it is for us to fly.

:ditto:

Including gas, hotels and food, it's still the same price (actually, a little cheaper) for the two of us to drive (even with SW prices), and it's A LOT more fun. DH and I love road trips, so the drive down is easy.

Don't have to worry how we pack, can hang our formal attire and Halloween costumes in the car, and don't have to worry about missing luggage (which always killed most of our first day praying our luggage and valuables would be okay in-flight and in hotel storage until we could get into our room).

I've also noticed that I don't get sick with head colds or sinus infections either on the trip or after we get home either. Flying almost always makes me get sick.

I don't know if we'll ever fly again! We love the time together while we drive.

bertasso59
09-26-2008, 12:19 AM
It's a 24 hour drive for us(did it all at once just one time switching between three drivers)but I still prefer driving.I flew down last week and hate the whole rushing for connections,worries about baggage size and weight and IF it will actually follow you.ME was a horrible long wait(esp when youre excited about getting to WDW) and our 4am pick up time for the ME back to Orlando airport for a 6:30 flight was a nightmare(especially since the night before we were at MK till midnight for MNSSHP).
The drive for us once we pass NJ is basically one long highway with the goal of a new state every three hours or so.You can pack what you like and never have to wait for luggage.And on your last day you can sleep till check out and start the return trip home when you want.
And for some reason, when we drive,WDW seems much closer because you have gone from your doorstep to your resort without dissapearing into the clouds.
Plus you can stop along the way at such corney but fun places as South of the Border in SC!

DisneyDoug2
09-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Defiantly Fly, 2 days and 980 miles on I-95 no thank you!

GrmGrninGost
09-26-2008, 04:52 PM
We always drive. It's a 12 to 13 hour drive for us. I enjoy the time with family to talk. We are excited on the way down about the things we will see and do. Then on the way home, we talk about what we actually saw and did. It's pretty cool! :mickey:

laward32
09-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I would prefer to fly, but if flights stay as high as they are now later next year I will probably drive. My parents live in Pensacola and we would drive to there house then carpool down to WDW. I think my dad says it takes them about 6 hours from Pensacola to Orlando.:mickey:

ljv1975
09-26-2008, 07:39 PM
We take the train.

Best of both worlds...we don't have to drive all of the way down to Disney, but we can bring our car with us on the Autotrain.

:ditto: We took the auto train on our last trip and it was wonderful!! We had a sleeper car and it was such a nice, relaxing experience. We will be taking the auto train again on our next trip. The round trip cost on the auto train is about the same as plane tickets and a rental car, and we get to have our own vehicle. Plus, I hate to fly and avoid it at all costs. :blush:

Mad About Mickey
09-27-2008, 10:46 AM
On all of our regular vacations we drive because we really enjoy seeing things along the way and sharing the experience with our children. But when it's a WDW vacation we fly so we can spend the entire vacation at the parks. Traveling from New Hampshire to WDW takes 4 days round trip, we'd rather spend the extra time enjoying the magic. Though I must say we are felling the pain of higher fuel costs sending airfares through the roof :(.

MickeyMousse
09-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Plus you can stop along the way at such corney but fun places as South of the Border in SC!

We all get a kick out of reading the billboards as you approach and pass South of the Border!!
It's actually become a part of our vacation that we look forward to. Now talk about corny!!!!:fresh:

TinkerbellT421
09-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I can barely make the 3 hour flight down nevermind drive over 24 hours! lol...I wait so long to go back (a year is a long time), that when the day comes that I know we will be there Im like a little kid! lol I have to get there now....driving would just drive me crazy...lol :mickey: