PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Flights out Pittsburgh International

julyjewel
09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
My husband and I booked our flight through Delta to go to Disney from Dec. 13-20. We are having a hard time finding a flight in which to return. We don't mind a lay over but are looking for a good price. Anybody have any ideas.

RBrooksC
09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Check SWA fares. From PIT, SWA is going to be your best bet for fares.

crazeedizneefinatic
09-24-2008, 03:35 PM
I second SW. Download the "ding" software. I had a ton of flights from/to Orlando from pittsburgh up to the middle of November for $69-$89 each way. I bet December rates are not that far behind. Good luck. We are flying out on Friday morning using SW and are paying only $167 a person R/T. Not too bad. They also do not get you with all the extra fees every other airline seems to be adding.

LittleRoosMommy
09-24-2008, 03:39 PM
I agree with the above posters. We leave in 24 days and are flying SW out of BWI for about $177/pp. Definitely use the DING feature. But in all honesty, I had better luck with regular Internet Only fares on their website. I have been a bit obsessed with it. I check every morning, midday and then again in the evenings. I had to book airfare for 8 people for our upcoming trip, I was definitely looking for the best deal. I have saved almost $300 since I booked our original flights!!

Definitely look at the SW fares!!

PittFan
09-24-2008, 07:52 PM
We flew SW this past trip and LOVED it !!! I'm planning on flying them again next trip. 6 adults, non stop, roundtrip ... $998. No extra charges and they still give peanuts :party:.

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
09-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Hi there, Bethel Park also...........just off of Clifton Road!

Our family of five are going down October 31st to Nov 4th. We are flying down SWA but flying back US Airways.

Only suggestion I can tell you is check the airline websites each day. Prices do change. You just have to be at the right place at the right time.

Like others have said. Watch the "Dings" from Southwest. Another timing issue but they can pay off in a big way especially if you are a little flexible in your travel plans.

Good luck!

masondoggy
09-25-2008, 08:25 AM
What are "dings"?

LittleRoosMommy
09-25-2008, 08:49 AM
SW has what they call DING software. Usually once a day, you will hear a "ding" which indicates that SW has posted discounted/cheaper airfare for certain airports. You can add the airports that you usually fly from to get those deals. I have to say, though, I have just watched my airfare daily. And by daily, I mean several times a day. Just about 15min. ago, I checked the website and found that they had discounted our flight going down to MCO on 10/18. All in all I have saved almost $300 on my flight, for my family of 4.

I say be vigilant and check the website frequently. You may be pleasantly surprised at the airfare you can get!!

masondoggy
09-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Does SW typically have good last minute deals? We're going the second week in Feb and probably won't have the funds to buy airline tickets until mid-jan. We're planning on driving unless we can find reasonable airfare when the funds come in.

dnickels
09-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Another really good thing to do would be to go to AirFare Watchdog (I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link so google it). You put in your home airport and can get the best deals emailed to you every day. I'm sure Orlando will be on the list and it can save you from having to check all the different sites over and over each day.

goofgal
09-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Does SW typically have good last minute deals? We're going the second week in Feb and probably won't have the funds to buy airline tickets until mid-jan. We're planning on driving unless we can find reasonable airfare when the funds come in.

The last time I checked, the lowest Southwest fares only require a 14 day advanced purchase, however, sometimes the cheaper fares are hard to find when you get close to the 14 day mark. You may end up going a day early, or getting an inconvenient flight time if you wait to the last minute.

Insanity Clause
09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
You might try Airtran and we had good luck with Priceline for our trip in April. Unfortunately with the price of oil getting higher and higher you are not going to find what I would call a cheap fare. We bought out tickets about a month ago and the prices have gone up about three times since then. Whatever you decide to do I would do it fairly soon.

mudpuppysmom
09-25-2008, 03:27 PM
We're going Dec 9-16 (flying on the last flight out on the 9th then staying somewhere less expensive before checkinginto AKL).

Usually I don't have MUCH of a problem finding a decent fare, but I'll tell ya, this time it's been tougher. I've been watching for more than three months now and while the fares have come down (109 to 89) it's not been great.

I booked our PIT to MCO fares but have been waiting for a return flight -- waiting for a DING hopefully! DH is flying down two days after us and coming home a day earlier (all he can take from work), so it's a little confusing when I start to look at all the different days!!

Keep watching -- something should break soon on the DING's I would think, since the last couple have been up to Nov. 19.

Here's hoping for DING!!!!

kakn7294
09-25-2008, 04:14 PM
If you don't mind a lay-over, check JetBlue and AirTran as well as SW. You'll have a lay-over with either but you might get a good price.

scootch713
09-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Try Airtran also.. .i have one leg via airtran and the other southwest.... both direct flights.

threeh
09-27-2008, 10:21 AM
another vote for air tran. I used to fly them out of Philly to MCO but now we moved closer to Pittsburgh and ued them last trip. I got 89$ each way for our upcoming Jan trip.

Good luck:mickey: