PDA

View Full Version : Who are your most overated actors/actress

RAIDER
09-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Who in your opinion is your most overated actor or actress and why ?

I have 3

Jack Black .....just dont find him funny and hes a poor mans John Belushi

Owen Wilson ...cant act has annoying voice and not funny...how did he ever make it :confused:

Orlando Bloom ....cant act and he ruined Troy and Kingdom of Heaven

SBETigg
09-24-2008, 11:44 AM
1. Shia Leboeuf. I don't understand how he has become the "everyman" for his generation, besides sheer exposure and being one of the only ones in his age group to be given such amazing opportunies. He's not good looking and his acting is not that impressive. My son could do better. In fact, my son is good-looking and he can act. Hollywood, call Nick. :blush:

2. Natalie Portman. She's always the same, monotone and bland. Sure, she's pretty, but there are lots of pretty girls who can actually convey emotion.

3. Hillary Swank. Eh, she's okay, but two Oscars?

ChipnDaleGal
09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
First I will answer for myself...I have a few...

Brad Pitt - I think he is wooden in his performances

Matthew McConaughey - I used to enjoy him, but his performances seem clownish now

Kate Hudson - She could be so much better than she is. She relies on her cute factor too much.

Now I will comment as a moderator in this forum. This kind of question is based a lot on personal preferences. One person's bad actor, can be the next person's favorite performer. So please try to answer in that spirit and accept other people's answers that way too. :thumbsup:

LauraleeH
09-24-2008, 05:48 PM
In my opinion, Miley Cyrus is the most overrated and overpaid celebrity...but there is a long list of them.

PirateLover
09-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Totally agree with Sherri's opinion on Shia.
I'm holding off judgment on Wilson until I see how he does with Marley and Me.
I really liked Brad Pitt in such movies as 7even and Fight Club.
Two I will add to the list:
Kirsten Dunst
Jessica Alba

pink
09-24-2008, 06:06 PM
All the teen celebrities: Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, etc.

Owen Wilson ...cant act has annoying voice and not funny...how did he ever make it

I couldn't agree more. He has never made me laugh and I think he looks like a bird.

:mickey:

scoot241
09-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Brad Pitt - I think he is wooden in his performances

I like Brad Pitt, especially in Fight Club. However, I thought he also gave a great performance in Burn After Reading. His character is hilarious.

NotaGeek
09-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Robin Williams :ack:

disneycutie165
09-24-2008, 07:18 PM
My list could go on FOREVER!
1. Miley Cyrus- can't stand her!
2. Demi Lovato- don't get me started!
3. Keira Sedgewick- she has a huge mouth and won't keep in closed!
4. Jennifer Love Hewitt- worst actress with her slim body
5. Lauren Conrad- not a good influence and too dramatic.
6. Count me in for Brad Pitt!

Sorry if I have offended anyone!

Davyjones
09-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Mine are:

Worst Actor: Hayden Christensen

Worst Actress : By far, Jennifer Lopez, if you can call her an actress

It took me a long time to sort through all the bad ones to pick the worst...

Soul_Power
09-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Jessica Alba
Paul Walker
Miley Cyrus

Melanie
09-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Mischa Barton
Justin Timberlake

The Reservoir Dog
09-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Keira Knightley - Very wooden

Shia Leboeuf - Had never heard of him before. Saw Indiana Jones film and never want to hear from him again.

Orlando Bloom - see Keira Knightley

Catherine Zeta Jones - How has she got away with it for so long?

Sarah Jessica Parker - I just don't see what everyone else seems to.

Brad Pitt - Have to agree with certain comments before. He was good in True Romance and decent enough in Seven. But was terrible in Troy.

Scarlett Johansson - Seems to have just one facial expression

Davyjones
09-25-2008, 10:05 AM
I only liked Brad Pitt in 2 films: Oceans 11 and Snatch (which he was brilliant in). The rest of his stuff was okay.

minnie-mouse
09-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Angelina Jolie - all she can do is action movies. So sick of seeing her on magazine covers too. :ack:

thrillme
09-25-2008, 12:19 PM
I can't stand Meryl Streep. :bored: Everything I've ever seen her in bores me to tears.

However Brad Pitt...who cares if he can act...he's HOT.

MythicalMermaid
09-25-2008, 12:42 PM
:cool: I would have to say that any of the "teenybopper" boys and girls are sucking big time.

1. Hilliary Swank--just HORRIBLE!!!!

2. Matthew McConaghy--Dude, keep your shirt on.

3. Jennifer Aniston-Stick with TV

4. Orlando Bloom-Looks like a little boy

And well the list goes on and on!!!!

Ian
09-25-2008, 02:31 PM
I'll go off the reservation a bit and list some folks who haven't been listed yet ...

Jim Carrey - I absolutely cannot stand him. He's the most unfunny person I've ever seen.

Keanu Reeves - Really??? He's an actor?? His career hit its peak when he played Ted and that's only because he actually is Ted. Anything outside of that is too much for him. Terrible.

Nicholas Cage - Look, I like some of his movies, but can we stop pretending he can act?

Mousefever
09-26-2008, 02:16 AM
Ian took mine....Keanu Reeves!

Has anyone seen him in Much Ado About Nothing? I love that movie except for him. He's just terrible.

Amy

diz_girl
09-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Cameron Diaz. She was good in 'In Her Shoes', but I can't see how she is worth what she gets paid.

KarenP
09-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Jim Carrey - I absolutely cannot stand him. He's the most unfunny person I've ever seen.

Wow, here I thought I was the only one! I absolutely cannot stand him and do not think he is even remotely funny.

MegaDeusO
09-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Keanu Reeves - Really??? He's an actor?? His career hit its peak when he played Ted and that's only because he actually

Wow I'm glad someone else thinks this overly pumped up actor can't act he single handedly destroyed Scanner Darkly and what was funny was all his co-stars were just amazing while he just gave a blah performance.

For my least favorite female actress I'm going to go with Helen Hunt. I'm saying her solely based on the fact that she won an academy award and in no way deserves it. She's an ok actress but she in no way is amazing and she is barely in films anymore. Plus i'm sorry if your in twister you shouldn't be allowed to have a career after that ****.

pink
09-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Scarlett Johansson - Seems to have just one facial expression

Angelina Jolie - all she can do is action movies. So sick of seeing her on magazine covers too.

I agree with both of these. All anyone talks about is how beautiful they're. They are pretty but that doesn't make them good actresses. I feel like they both do the same type of movie over and over again. :mickey:

Pop Centurion
09-27-2008, 02:32 AM
This may stir things up but I think Kevin Costner is very overrated. I've never been impressed with any of his roles. Some of the movies he was in were good but not because of his acting.

Can't think of an actress right that I feel is too overrated right now.

Ian
09-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Huh. Kevin Costner isn't one I've heard before. I, personally, think he's been terrific in most of the movies he's done.

In fact, I'd almost say the opposite ... he's been in some stinkers, but he's always acted well.

Field of Dreams is one of my favorite movies of all time and a big part of it is how amazing a job Coster did portraying Ray Kinsella with that kind of wide-eyed innocence he gave him. I think it's one of the finest pieces of acting I've ever seen.

AdventurerKim
09-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Ashton Kutcher
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Katie Holmes
Tom Cruise (except in Tropic Thunder)
Steve Carrell (I can't stand The Office!)
Will Farrell (why is he considered funny? I don't get it).

Jared
09-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Renee Zellweger. No question.

iDisney
09-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Ashton Kutcher... I can't stand him. He was okay in That 70's Show but that was before he got big(headed).

Shia LaBouf... Don't like him. Refuse to see things he was in, except i,Robot. That was a good movie and he had a minimal part.

Steve Carrell... don't think he is funny at all.

Kiersten Dunst... I don't mind her when she was younger. Now she just annoys me.

Angelena Jolie... Everyone thinks she is drop dead gorgeous but I guess I am not everyone.

2Epcot
10-02-2008, 12:30 AM
There are lots of actors/actresses I don't like, but choosing from the most overated I had to also look at who gets the most pay ... Are they worth what they get?

From Forbes:

ACTRESSES:

Nicole Kidman $28 mil
Angelina Jolie $20 mil
Jennifer Aniston $14 mil
Cate Blanchett $13 mil
Sandra Bullock $10 mil
Keira Knightley $9 mil
Julia Roberts $9 mil
Jessica Alba $9 mil
Scarlett Johansson $5 mil
Reese Witherspoon $7 mil

ACTORS

Johnny Depp $92 mil
Tom Hanks $74 mil
Ben Stiller $38 mil
Brad Pitt $35 mil
Tom Cruise $31 mil
Will Smith $31 mil
Adam Sandler $30 mil
George Clooney $25 mil
Vince Vaughn $25 mil
Matt Damon $24 mil

My most overrated would be:

1) Jennifer Anistion - always the same character.

2) Brad Pitt - Ok actor, nothing special.

3) Jessica Alba - Great looking, but can't really act at all.

Cameron Diaz didn't make the top earner list, but she was one of the first people who came to mind for me. Tom Cruise is not the star he used to be either.

RAIDER
10-02-2008, 07:21 AM
My god that list from 2EPCOT is frightening !!!

I think i have to add Julia Roberts to that list she is mega overrated as i didnt add an actress in my first thread . :thumbsup:

Ian
10-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Angelena Jolie... Everyone thinks she is drop dead gorgeous but I guess I am not everyone.Then I'm not everyone either, because I find her very unattractive.

Jeff G
10-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Brendan Fraser and Sandra Bulock are the tops of my list. In my opinion neither can act.

I was a fan of Will Farrel with a couple of his movies (Old School & Elf) but over his past several films he has really lost me as a fan, I can't stand movies with just plain crude humor and no plot.

MScholl13
10-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Julia Roberts! I like some of her movies, but I personally don't think she's a great actress. I don't see the character anymore, I see Julia Roberts.

Brad Pitt- ho hum..he may be attractive, but his acting skills are far from stellar.

Cameron Diaz- the only thing I like her in is The Holiday, everything else...blah!

GrumpyFan
10-03-2008, 09:32 AM
J-Lo for my female pick. While she's somewhat attractive, she should stick to singing. On second thought, she's not a great singer either (IMHO), so I'm not sure what she should stick to.

Adam Sandler - he's just not funny in my book.

Boojum
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
The most overrated male actor for me has got to be Tom Cruise. He plays the same character in every one of his "hit" movies.

Females? Where do I start?

Cameron Diaz, Kirsten Dunst, Jessica Alba....

....and even though we haven't seen her in movies or on t.v. for awhile, I don't think Cybill Shepherd could act her way out of a paper bag. I never did understand the appeal of "Moonlighting."

mickey&missy
10-07-2008, 09:32 PM

Nicholas Cage - Look, I like some of his movies, but can we stop pretending he can act?
WOW! Ian, your list is the very similar to mine, I just have a few more!

I can't stand Jim Carrey!!! I don't understand when stupidity became funny!
Nicholas Cage is just overall terrible! Just because he's got that voice doesn't make him a good actor!

Angelina Jolie - all she can do is action movies. So sick of seeing her on magazine covers too. :ack:
LOL!! I am soooo sick of Angelina Jolie!! My dad is going to kill me for this, but I think she's very scary looking! Not to mention she can't do anything with substance!

1. Shia Leboeuf. I don't understand how he has become the "everyman" for his generation, besides sheer exposure and being one of the only ones in his age group to be given such amazing opportunies. He's not good looking and his acting is not that impressive. My son could do better. In fact, my son is good-looking and he can act. Hollywood, call Nick. :blush:

I agree with this 100% I don't get him at all! I also have a hard time taking the image of him as the goofy kid in the Disney Channel show he was on out of my head! He seems misplaced as an action/adventure type and, to me, should have faded away with the end of that show.

My additionm Lindsay Lohan! Are you kidding me?! Really! Shes like a bad soap opera actress!

LarryBoy
10-08-2008, 10:07 AM
The most overrated male actor for me has got to be Tom Cruise. He plays the same character in every one of his "hit" movies.

:ditto: I couldn't agree more. I've liked some of his movies, but it was more the movie not Tom. Something about him really gets on my nerves.

ncscgirl2005
10-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Owen Wilson ...cant act has annoying voice and not funny...how did he ever make it :confused:

That's a simple answer: Ben Stiller

bertasso59
10-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Julia Roberts!!!
So glad shes out of the new 'The Women'
Although I will say she did pull off 'Erin Brokovich' pretty well.
and
Keanu Reeves-wins the phone it in award.Sometimes his character requires that deadpan blah persona like in 'Constatine'.But when he is in something like 'Dracula' surrounded by excellent talent like Anthony Hopkins and Gary Oldman,his lack of talent really shows

SBETigg
10-16-2008, 07:52 PM
That's a simple answer: Ben Stiller

This in answer to how Owen Wilson made it. Actually, Owen is a gifted writer who started out writing films, He has been nominated for an Academy Award for his screenwriting work. The film that brought him from Texas to Hollywood was written by him and college pal Wes Anderson, directed by Anderson, and starred him and his brothers. It was an amazng story of self promotion and a promising start.

He really owes little to Ben Stiller besides friendship and bringing his box office profile to slightly more prominence. Owen's humor is quirky and often misunderstood, as in many of Wes Anderson films. I wish Owen would write more. But I understand why he's on some overrated lists due to some of his odd role choices, and his nose, which I like. I have a thing for weird noses. :blush:

handmaidenofprincesses
10-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Can't believe I'm the first one to add this, but how about Paris Hilton? :ack:I didn't see "House of Wax" but even in the commercials it was pretty obvious. Not that she neccessarily qualifies as a real actress...:down:

I also have to defend Shia LaBeouf. I hated, (and I mean absolutely loathed) him when he was in "Even Stevens." My friends would turn that show on and I would leave b/c it drove me nuts! However, I was actually quite impressed with him in the new Indiana Jones movie, to the point where I even want to see "Eagle Eye." idk.. he's not my favorite, but I don't think he belongs on the worst list either so I had t throw in my two cents. :twocents:

pianobabe
10-19-2008, 02:24 PM
I have to agree with the vast majority of the one's listed above. Shia LaBoeuf, Scarlett Johanssen, Tom Cruise (he just went incredibly down-hill), Paris Hilton, Jennifer Lopez. The one I may get crucified on is Barbra Streisand. I just don't like her acting or singing. To me personally she is over-rated. This is just my opinion.

The Reservoir Dog
10-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Lisa Kudrow. The same character all the time.

Hugh Grant. The same character all the time.

mjaclyn
10-27-2008, 06:59 PM
There are many but the three that come to mind first are:

Tom Cruise - I have no idea what's happened to him in the past few years but I am so SICK of him!

Miley Cyrus - The whole obsession is just ridiculous

Hilary Swank - Don't like the acting and what is up with her jaw??

BUT, I did want to write a short defense for Shia LaBouf. I NEVER liked Even Stevens but I think he's been great in all his recent movies.

The Reservoir Dog
10-31-2008, 08:52 AM
I forgot to mention Colin Firth. Seems to be in every film going and like others mentioned earlier plays the same character.

Also Clive Owen. As wooden as my table. And he's one of the favourites to be James Bond after Daniel Craig. Can you imagine that! :shake:

hokies4life
11-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Wow, I could go on a while on this but let me just re name a few...

-Tom Cruise
-Ashton Kutcher
-Katie Holmes (I know she hasn't been in anything lately but just can't stand her)
-Nicole Kidmon (I think she's an ok actress, but going by the list of salaries posted earlier, I don't think she deserves that much)
-Angelina Jolie (omg...)

And on the other hand I think Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts are excellent. "Notting Hill" is one of my favorite movies, which stars both of them. :thumbsup:

:chipdale:

ASweetLov
11-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Angelina Jolie (can't stand her, she can't act and she is ugly)
Brad Pitt (yeah I can't stand him either and dont find him attractive at all)
Tom Cruise (War of the Worlds is the only movie i have liked with him in it and he wasnt a good actor in it either)
Keanu Reeves (I just think he can't act at all)
Will Farrell (Not funny!!!)
Ashton Kutcher (can't act at all)
Cameron Diaz ( I like a lot of movies with her in it but I personally think she can't act)
Mike Myers (wow I hate this guy, he is not funny whatsoever)
Lindsay Lohan (The only movie I likes with her in it has been The parent Trap when she was a little girl)
Paris Hilton (I enjoyed watching her die in House of Wax lol)

Zawadi
11-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Nicolas Cage - he's the same in everything:- The Rock, Ghost Rider, The Wicker Man & Con Air

Princess'Mom
11-03-2008, 01:18 PM
After reading all of the postings - I can't think of anyone else to add - I pretty much agree with all of your opinions! :D

Although, I do have a slight crush on Colin Firth, :blush: - truthfully his characters are all about the same, so on the list he goes!

RAIDER
11-06-2008, 07:49 AM
I would like to nominate Colin Farrel ... he's awful
:ack: single handedly ruined Alexander and soo overrated :ack:

TheDuckRocks
11-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Wow, I can't believe how many movies I have seen and enjoyed with my list of overated actresses/actors. It's a matter of leaving a theater and saying to yourself, "I can't believe they couldn't have gotten someone better for that part." Here's my list:
Actresses -
Tied for number one Jennifer Lopez & Julia Roberts - I just don't "get" either one of these women
Hillary Swank - It's not that she can't act she over acts
Kirsten Dunst - petty of me but I can't keep my eyes off her teeth
Sarah Jessica Parker - sexy????
Jennifer Aniston - boring, boring, boring
Cameron Diaz - snooze
Renee Zellweger - there's something about her speech pattern that drives me crazy
Lindsay Lohan - in real life and on the screen she just comes off as a "mean girl"
Lisa Kudrow - she was fuuny as Phobe but you can only take that so far

Actors -
Another tie for Kevin Costner and Tom Cruise - never, ever have I been able to understand their popularity
Owen Wilson, Aston Kutcher, Will Farrell, Vince Vaughn, and Mike Myers - all flash, no substance
Daniel Craig - 007??? Come on! He comes across as nothing more than a thug.
Boy, am I glad I'm not an actress so I could pop up on this list.

RenDuran
11-16-2008, 03:12 PM
David Schwimmer! I've never understood his appeal.

RAIDER
11-18-2008, 03:51 AM
I have to add a further one

Julia Styles ... has the face of a bulldog and cant act :ack: