PDA

View Full Version : I'm still upset

luvdiznee
09-24-2008, 05:06 AM
No, not because we leave for Disney today. But because of the fact that my sister, who is coming with us, not only (but mainly) for the sake of enjoying Disney for the first time was also looking forward to seeing her father. Yes, we are both in our 40's with families of our own. But I am almost embarassed to say she's only seen her father twice in her life. She was born in FL but my mom brought her and my brother up here when she was about 2. And since then has only seen him at her wedding that occured 25 years ago. And the second time was when she took a non Disney trip to FL over 10 years ago. But this is the worst part. He would call her here and there. And even go as far as saying why don't you call me sometimes. :thedolls:I mean my sister had certainly made some effort to try to establish a relationship with him. But he had been calling more recently because he knew we were coming down. He lives in W Palm Beach and told her he has a timeshare in Orlando, that he would be staying there. Anyway she calls me last night about 11 to say he called her a couple hours before then to say he had to go to D.C. with his current wife, due to something with the wife's sister. (Which he didn't mention any details). So my sis ask him when is he leaving, he says tomorrow a.m. (Thurs). Then she ask him when is he coming back, he says Tues (the day we are leaving FL). And on top of that he knows we get in late tonight. He said he thought we were staying longer than Tuesday. I just don't get it. But thanks for letting me vent. I'm so upset for my sister. :grouphug:

ChipnDaleGal
09-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Of course that hurts her and brings out your protective sisterly feelings. She is lucky to have family that cares about her, and he sounds like he really isn't worth her time anyway. At least she has a wonderful trip to WDW with you to help take her mind of of this latest incident. I hope she has a great time spending time with the important members of her family. :thumbsup:

luvdiznee
09-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Of course that hurts her and brings out your protective sisterly feelings. She is lucky to have family that cares about her, and he sounds like he really isn't worth her time anyway. At least she has a wonderful trip to WDW with you to help take her mind of of this latest incident. I hope she has a great time spending time with the important members of her family. :thumbsup:

Thank you. And even though I forgot to mention she was very upset over this. I geuss that's why I feel so bad. But I won't let it ruin our trip. :mickey:

Stitchahula
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I feel so bad for your poor sister. She must be heart broken. I'm glad she has disney to fall back on hopefully you'll keep her so busy and happy she won't have time to get upset. If she does though you can tell her everytime she gets upset she has to go on tower of terror or which ever ride will get her mind off it the fastest. I hope you both have fun on your trip.

mrsgaribaldi
09-24-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry that this happened and your sister is upset. One thing I've learned is that not everyone has great parents and great relationships with them. ( and siblings) It's hard to take but just another fact of life. It's wonderful that you and your sister get along so well. I hope you both have a magical trip:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
09-24-2008, 01:52 PM
What a shame. :(

Since it sounds like her father (and I use the term loosely) has been mostly absent from your sister her whole life, I guess his behavior now should not be surprising. But I can imagine that her disappointment in him now is just as strong as it was back when she was a little girl.

I'm glad she has a supportive sister like you to lean on--and I hope you all have a wonderful trip anyway.

DisneyDog
09-24-2008, 02:44 PM
I really feel for your sister. I have had a rocky relationship with my dad at times, and I can appreciate how she must be feeling. It's so hard when parents let you down, no matter how old you are. Sounds like your sister needs some serious Disney magic...oh, good thing you are heading to Disney World!!:mickey:

maxrebo77
09-24-2008, 05:52 PM
do not apologise. Dad is the one missing out. Make sure your sister gets a first timer pin.

Tiggerlovr9000
09-25-2008, 04:55 AM
I know exactly how your sister feels. My mother (don't call her that) abandoned 4 of us when I was 8 years old. She never talked to us again until I was 23. She came to nebraska for my sisters graduation. I have taken 4 trips to WDW and called her all 4 times to tell her that we would be an hour drive from her if she wanted to see us. Three out of 4 times she has said to send her the hotel directions and phone number. She said she would drive over. Never happened. We only saw her the other time because I went to my grandmothers house and she was there. Guess she didn't want to look bad in front of her mom. This last time she sent my brother a letter to tell us not to call or bother her anymore. We have never been anything but polite to her, she even asked me to forgive her and I said yes. It still hurts and I am 45 years old. It will be the last time that I call her..Thank god for my father who is not perfect but always made sure we had everything we needed and is a great grandfather to my 3 children. I really think shes mentally unbalanced. Tell your sister I am really sorry. Hope you have a great time at disney..

luvdiznee
10-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone for being supportive. We just got back this week (I've posted a couple trip reports) but glad to say she did have a great time. We talked about "him" once while there but that was about it. She wants to go back next year to Disney. She didn't say anything about trying to see him or even talk to him. So we'll just wait and see. :thedolls:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm glad you had a good trip and even more glad that she didn't let him ruin the trip for her. It's his loss for not getting to know her better!

crazypoohbear
10-04-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm very happy that she had a good time.
I hope you plan the next trip and also have fun.
The hardest thing in th world to do is cut someone out of your life even when you know it is the right thing to do, He is emotionally abusing her and she needs to take care of her heart.

IloveDisney71
10-06-2008, 06:07 PM
That is just awful! I hope that once your sister gets to Disney she'll be able to get lost in the Disney magic with you. :mickey: