PDA

View Full Version : Question about Use Year

disneyboundagain
09-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I am currently NOT a DVC member, but I will be buying 200 points at BLT on Oct 4th. When I talked to my agent last week, she told me that they are currently selling Feb UY. We typically go in Dec, and I don't believe that will change.

That being said, I was just reading on another site that there is a difference between different UY if you visit at the same time every year. It claimed that it is undesirable to have a UY any less than 5 months before you visit. Said it was because you can not bank points in the last 4 months of your UY. I guess this would only come in to play with a cancellation that is 4 months or less from my UY.

The other site also claimed that I could request a different UY when I purchase if I wanted. Does anyone know if this is correct?

If I understand this correctly, if we have a Dec reservation with a Feb UY, we would need to cancel before Sept 30 and still be able to bank the points. If would cancel anytime from Oct 1 to 31 days before our reservation, we would need to use those points before Jan 31. Since there are no May or July UY, I should request a June UY?

Please help. I thought I had this all figured out!

Ian
09-23-2008, 04:55 PM
I think you've got it basically correct. The only thing I don't think is right is that I don't believe you can request a UY. I think that's assigned based on what and when you buy.

I could be wrong, though. I'm not 100% sure. I do know that both times we bought, at SSR and BLT, we were not offered an opportunity to select our UY. It was just assigned to us.

Also, we got a December UY with our BLT contract, not February. But my guess is that's because ours was an add-on and our current UY for our SSR points was December.

DizneyRox
09-23-2008, 04:57 PM
If you do vacation in December, then a February Use Year is probably not a good deal for you. I'd request another, or hold off on purchasing until the use year is a better fit.

Yes, UY is usually based on your original contract.