PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing Race Season 13 - Discussion

Eeyore77
09-23-2008, 02:18 PM
I swear I saw filming of Amazing Race at Animal Kingdom on 9/17...did anyone else see it? People were running to a stop right next to Tusker House and they had Amazing Race lanyards on and at the stop there was a camera and microphone guy along with several other people standing around with some Disney personel standing guard. Does anyone know what this was???

BraddyB
09-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Wow that would have been pretty cool. I would love to be on that show, and to have a stop in Disney is even more of a bonus !!!

Momof2boys
09-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Wow - I can't wait for the show to start on Sunday. It'll be interesting to see how AK plays into it.

I'd be wanting to help or get on TV :)

dixielandings
09-23-2008, 03:23 PM
That would be AWESOME! I doubt very much that it will be in this upcoming season that's about to start. The season is usually completely filmed before the first episode airs. BUT, maybe this was the final episode, which is usually (or always) in the US. That's cool that you saw that! Thanks for sharing.

mouseketeer mom
09-23-2008, 03:41 PM
That is so cool!!!! Wonder if you saw who won if it was the final episode!

Imagineer1981
09-23-2008, 04:40 PM
wow...that is cool

Ian
09-23-2008, 05:01 PM
I'd be fairly shocked if what you saw was a real Amazing Race episode being filmed. Let's remember that TAR is a CBS show and Disney owns ABC. I don't see much likelihood of a crossover there.

Also, as someone already pointed out, I'm quite certain this season is already in the can, since it airs in a week. I know for a fact (my Mother works with one of "The Hippies" fathers) that they typically wrap up filming months before a season airs.

Of course, who knows for sure ... things change and I guess at the end of the day anything is possible. I can't really think of any other explanation for it, either. It's not like Disney could be doing something themselves involving The Amazing Race, since it's not their property. But then again a quick Google search turned up nothing, either. Seems unlikely no one would have posted about it by now.

gutalber
09-23-2008, 10:15 PM
We were at Magic Kingdom on September 17th and saw the Amazing Race crew in the Haunted Mansion. They were just ahead of us through the whole ride. Throughout the ride they kept looking for clues. At the end of the ride they jumped off quickly and at the exit of Haunted Mansion we saw them reading the envelope. :mickey:

Eeyore77
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
I have been doing a little more research and yes season 13 is wrapped BUT season 14 was cast this summer and taping is scheduled to start August/September so hopefully it was season 14 that I saw and the other post saw at Magic Kingdom on the same day! I love the Amazing Race so when I saw all the Amazing Race folders and lanyards it really got my attention. Hopefully others saw it too and will post what they saw also!!!

Mufasa
09-24-2008, 01:30 AM
I'd be fairly shocked if what you saw was a real Amazing Race episode being filmed. Let's remember that TAR is a CBS show and Disney owns ABC. I don't see much likelihood of a crossover there.

TAR may air on CBS, but it's actually a co-production between several parties, including ABC Studios (formerly Touchstone Television which is part of the Disney-ABC Television Group) which oversees the distribution for TAR and co-produces the show.

Then there are other shows that air on CBS like Ghost Whisperer or Criminal Minds which are produced by ABC Studios. Raising the Bar on TNT is another ABC Studios production. Then some shows like Scrubs which for years aired on NBC and is now a midseason show moving to ABC is an ABC Studios production so the network on which a show finally airs isn't significant (which is also how something like American Idol though it airs on Fox can show up developed into an attraction in the Disney theme parks).

There has always been this clause in the application eligibility section to be a contestant in TAR which disqualifies me and other Disney employees (or their family members, apparently regardless of where they live) from ever competing on the show (also occurs frequently with things like contests/sweepstakes where you find out you're not eligible because of employment but that's the catch with working for a diverse media conglomerate)-

Employees, officers, directors and agents of WorldRace Productions, Inc., Jerry
Bruckheimer Films, Inc., Amazing Race Productions, Inc., CBS Broadcasting Inc.,
Touchstone Television, and/or of any of their respective licensees, assigns, parents
(including, without limitation, CBS Corporation and The Walt Disney Company),
affiliated and subsidiary companies and the immediate family (spouse, mother, father,
sister, brother, daughter or son, regardless of where they live) or members of their
same households (whether related or not) of such employees, officers, directors and
agents are not eligible to be participants on the Program or to participate in this
application process.

Ian
09-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Well, well, well ... what do you know! You really do learn something new every day!

Tinkerfreak
09-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Wow how cool:cool:. That is one of our favorite shows. They combined two of my favorite things. Yay!!!

NotaGeek
09-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Avoiding all the spoilers ...

The new season of The Amazing Race starts this Sunday, Sept. 28 at 8pm EST/PST. You can meet the teams on the Official Amazing Race Website (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race/).

Minnie Imagineer
09-28-2008, 06:01 PM
yey!!! It starts tonight!!!

pixiesmimi
09-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Well, just who I thought would come in last, did.

I did notice that Phil said "will be eliminated instead of might be" again this year. I wonder if this will change again.

teamblackwell
09-29-2008, 12:17 AM
I participated in the "win a pit stop prize trip" to Belize. At the bottom of the sweepstakes page theres a discliamer that says the Amazing Race and its logo is owned by the Disney Corp. Who knew?

KarenP
09-29-2008, 03:24 PM
I think I may just have finally just had enough of Amazing Race. I watched last night and could not get into it at all. Was it just me?

teamblackwell
09-30-2008, 12:42 AM
I hear ya, there's too many teams to keep track of in the first 3-5 shows. Once its down to 8 teams, they have time to get into the players personalities(and personality quirks, more importantly).

c&d
09-30-2008, 10:02 AM
We watched it last night and as always you can tell the teams that will have meltdowns.

There are about 3 teams we like, the frat boys, the guys in the cellar and I think it's the brother and sister team.

I thought it was a fairly easy first leg. What surprised DH and me was them being told what flights to take. I don't remember that ever happening before.

Ian
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
At the bottom of the sweepstakes page theres a discliamer that says the Amazing Race and its logo is owned by the Disney Corp. Who knew?Read up about a dozen or so posts in this thread and you would have known. ;)

I think I may just have finally just had enough of Amazing Race. I watched last night and could not get into it at all. Was it just me?I think in the beginning it can be tough to get into it just because you don't have a connection with any of the teams yet. I always feel that way at the beginning of every Survivor and Amazing Race. It's like this big mish-mash of faces and, until a few weeks in when you get to know everyone, it can be a little overwhelming.

So early on I kinda like Kelly & Christy, Nick & Star, Mark & Bill (probably the most), and Andrew & Dan (but that could change).

But OMG are Terence and Sarah annoying!?!?! I hope they go fast ... they drive me up a wall!!

2Epcot
10-02-2008, 12:33 AM
It is always a little hard to follow all the teams and the beginning, but I still enjoy the show. Always one of my favorite reality shows. I don't think any other reality show will win the Reality Emmy until this show is off the air. From a production/technical standpoint the show always amazes me.

teamblackwell
10-02-2008, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Ian

TAR may air on CBS, but it's actually a co-production between several parties, including ABC Studios (formerly Touchstone Television which is part of the Disney-ABC Television Group) which oversees the distribution for TAR and co-produces the show.
[/I]

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamblackwell
At the bottom of the sweepstakes page theres a discliamer that says the Amazing Race and its logo is owned by the Disney Corp. Who knew?

Read up about a dozen or so posts in this thread and you would have known. ;)

The post your refering to discusses production and distribution which is different than owning a show content and logo which is what I was refering to.
That makes twice you've been wrong on this thread alone, your on a roll bud.

Ian
10-02-2008, 08:18 AM
That makes twice you've been wrong on this thread alone, your on a roll bud.Trust me ... if you look more closely I'm sure you'll find one or two more spots where I was wrong.

I'm pretty good at it, so I do it a lot! :D

luvdiznee
10-02-2008, 08:32 AM
So upset I missed the first episode. But not too upset, since we were at WDW. :mickey:

pixiesmimi
10-05-2008, 10:31 PM
I think the wrong couple got eliminated tonight. It should have been the couple that couldn't find the Taxi or the girls that couldn't read a clue.

Mousefever
10-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Terrance annoys the crud out of me too. What a drama queen! But I thought it was cute the way he and Ken made up in the line to get on the plane.

Amy

:dory:

Beast_fanatic
10-06-2008, 12:45 AM
So, does the team that finished second tonight that did the computer task rather than moving the boats remind anyone else of Adam & Jamie from the Mythbusters?

WDWFanatic
10-06-2008, 01:18 PM
So, does the team that finished second tonight that did the computer task rather than moving the boats remind anyone else of Adam & Jamie from the Mythbusters?

YES!!! My kids said that when we watched it last week, lol.

Our whole family loves this show but you couldn't pay me to go on it. I have friends who would love to do it...I'm sure I'd make a fool of myself.

MNNHFLTX
10-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I watched the first two episodes last night (thank goodness that I added an extra hour onto the recording time or would have missed last night's episode!) I agree that the teams are kind of a mish-mash in my mind right now, but I do like the mother/son, geek and the brother/sister teams so far. Of course, some contestants stand out for their high score on the annoyance factor--Terrance was off the chart for whining so much (Drew's neurotic behavior at the beginning kind of wore on me too, but then he mellowed out a bit), Tina's god-complex at the airport, and Christy and Kelly's ineptness at reading the clues.

thrillme
10-06-2008, 07:39 PM

ACK...Do you have my house bugged??? My DS and I were talking about that last night. WOW...I thought I was looney.

Forgive me I can't recall the names of the couple that was eliminated last night but it seemed to me like they just did not care.

tinkwest
10-06-2008, 07:50 PM
IMO, the couple that was eliminated last night was forgettable. No one at our house even remembered them from week one!

And . . . "I got them to switch to a bigger plane". Oh brother!!

pixiesmimi
10-07-2008, 12:33 AM

Yes! :D I said that after the first night! Isn't that funny? :D I wonder if they are trying to look like them.

IMO, the couple that was eliminated last night was forgettable. No one at our house even remembered them from week one!

And . . . "I got them to switch to a bigger plane". Oh brother!!

But the fact is that she DID get them to switch the plane. But, give me a break about bragging on it to everyone. I can see why her husband or ex or whatever he is would get annoyed with her if she is like that all the time.

Ian
10-07-2008, 08:37 AM
So, does the team that finished second tonight that did the computer task rather than moving the boats remind anyone else of Adam & Jamie from the Mythbusters?Yeah, I said that to DW while we were watching. I'm sure it's not a coincidence, either.

Terrence is getting on my last nerve. I was so hoping he and his nearly-as-annoying wife would just stay lost looking for their cab until someone came and dragged them away in a butterfly net. I wonder if he knows that he's the woman in the relationship? :ack:

Can't say I'm really a big fan of Ken and Tina (I think that's her name?) either. She was so irritating going on and on and on about the stupid plane. That was about the only moment when I liked someone less than Terrence!

MNNHFLTX
10-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Terrence is getting on my last nerve. I was so hoping he and his nearly-as-annoying wife would just stay lost looking for their cab until someone came and dragged them away in a butterfly net. I wonder if he knows that he's the woman in the relationship? :ack:Fortunately (for her) they are just dating, so she will be able to walk away from the relationship when the race is over. I don't mind her nearly so much, except that she plays along with Terence's needy behavior.

Ian
10-07-2008, 09:15 AM
I don't mind her nearly so much, except that she plays along with Terence's needy behavior.Yeah, I think that's what I don't like about her, too. I mean how about that whole thing with him "bleeding" from being hit in the head with the trunk???

I just kept thinking, "Why doesn't she smack him one, tell him to shut up and stop whining??"

She's an enabler, which is why I find her annoying, too. Plus, her entire judgement has to be called into question for dating a guy like that in the first place.

WDWFanatic
10-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Terrence is getting on my last nerve. I was so hoping he and his nearly-as-annoying wife would just stay lost looking for their cab until someone came and dragged them away in a butterfly net. I wonder if he knows that he's the woman in the relationship? :ack:

HEY Ian...no need to insult us woman :D;)

I really hope they go soon! I like the brother and sister, but when the brother said he would go back and didn't...I think that will come back to bite him.

Ian
10-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Ha ha .... sorry, Kelly. You're right ... that was an unintended insult to women everywhere!

c&d
10-09-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm waiting for the complete implosion of Terry. He's so out of control now that when he gets a little sleep deprived he's just going to lose it.

Hopefully his girlfriend will realize what a crazy person he is. I think she's starting to realize that now.

Mousefever
10-14-2008, 02:51 AM
Awwww! The geeks are gone. I would have rather seen the divorcees be eliminated. I think they're a little snarky. I'm sorry the one gal kept crashing her bike though. Ouch!

Amy

:dory:

Ian
10-14-2008, 07:55 AM
I don't think I remember another race where so many contestants had issues reading the directions!

tinkwest
10-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Grrrr. So many other teams I would have rather seen get eliminated, but they brought it on themselves. Stupid mistake! :shake:

pixiesmimi
10-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I was praying that the girls would get delayed and the 30 minutes would pass before they got there.

I agree that these contestants this season really aren't paying much attention to detail and have really been pulling some dumb mistakes.

NotaGeek
10-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Ok, how cute was it that Phil's Dad was the New Zealand welcome matt person!

brownie
10-20-2008, 07:18 AM

I think it was great that he had his dad there! It took me unto the last team to finally hear him say who he was though. I wasn't quite catching it before that, and everyone kept saying nice to meet you. I was wondering who they were meeting!

jonsmom
10-20-2008, 08:04 AM
We were watching baseball. Anyone get eliminated?

Ian
10-20-2008, 09:35 AM
I was kind of bummed at the outcome last night. I was hoping Aja and Ty would come up on the short end, because I just felt like they bickered way too much the entire episode.

Hey, how about Starr "breaking her arm"?? They didn't mention it again, so I assume it was drama from her and not actually a broken limb?

thrillme
10-20-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm ready to get rid of Aja and Ty too. It's hard to tell from the way they edit the show who's the one instigating so much of it. (It "looks" like Aja and Ty is the laid back one but...who knows what's been clipped out). I grow really tired of "bickering".

WDWFanatic
10-20-2008, 10:43 AM

Did anyone see Phil on Bonnie Hunt? He said he was hoping that he could send the teammates to his parents bed and breakfast but it didn't work out, so they had his Dad at the mat. It was also his Dad's b.day.

pixiesmimi
10-21-2008, 12:52 AM
I think it was great that he had his dad there! It took me unto the last team to finally hear him say who he was though. I wasn't quite catching it before that, and everyone kept saying nice to meet you. I was wondering who they were meeting!

I was the same way and finally figured out when one of the teams said "Phil's Dad!" I had forgotten that Phil was from there. You sure can't tell from his accent. :)

We were watching baseball. Anyone get eliminated?

The two blonds. They weren't too swift on the clues anyway. No great loss.

I was kind of bummed at the outcome last night. I was hoping Aja and Ty would come up on the short end, because I just felt like they bickered way too much the entire episode.

Hey, how about Starr "breaking her arm"?? They didn't mention it again, so I assume it was drama from her and not actually a broken limb?

I don't know, her arm looked pretty bad. I did that one time and it was several days before I got to the doctor. Hurts like nothing you have felt before! I guess we will find out on the next show if she has a cast. I don't know how she could finish that task though if it was really broken. Surely they would have done like Survivor and call a medic in to see about her.

c&d
10-23-2008, 09:56 AM
I've finally watched Sunday's show last night and I'm having a really hard time liking any of the teams this year. In the past I've always had a couple of favorites but this year I'm not really pulling for any of them.

I did however love Phil's dad.

Ian
10-23-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't know, her arm looked pretty bad. I did that one time and it was several days before I got to the doctor. Hurts like nothing you have felt before!Oh trust me ... I know broken bones. ;)

I'm at 7 and counting, including a "Joe Theisman-esque" fracture of my right leg.

I'm a pro when it comes to fractures!

JanetMegan
10-24-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm at 7 and counting, including a "Joe Theisman-esque" fracture of my right leg.

I'm a pro when it comes to fractures!

And here I thought that was a shark bite?

tinkwest
10-27-2008, 10:56 AM
This season is bordering on boring for me. None of the teams really grab me. And do those dumb divorced girls even "get" the game?

MNNHFLTX
10-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Boy, that was an anticlimactic ending last night, with Ty and Aja leaving. Actually the highlight for me was the post-race notice that Sarah and Terrance had been penalized 30 minutes for the start of the next leg. I still do not like them.

ChipnDaleGal
10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
This season is bordering on boring for me. None of the teams really grab me. And do those dumb divorced girls even "get" the game?

I agree with you 100%, Linda. I am only rooting against the retired football player and his shrew of a wife.

jonsmom
10-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Last night I commented to my husband, "I just don't like any of these teams." He asked why I would bother to watch, but I like the show itself.

Sarah was driving me crazy when she kept telling the driver to speedup in Cambodian.

At least, that is what I think it was supposed to be.

What about the other nitwits that called their driver seno~r. I dont think they speak spanish.

MNNHFLTX
10-27-2008, 04:59 PM
I agree with you 100%, Linda. I am only rooting against the retired football player and his shrew of a wife.
Oh yeah, I don't like them either.

My favorite team would still have to be Toni and Dallas. The frat brothers are okay too.

Ian
10-27-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm having a tough time connecting with any of these teams, too. I kinda like Toni and Dallas and the frat boys, but other than that everyone is pretty irritating.

I agree with Dallas' assessment than Kelly & Christy think they're God's gift. They really irk me. I've already made my feelings on Terrance and Sarah well known and they only thing good I can say about Ty and Aja is that they're gone.

pixiesmimi
10-28-2008, 09:43 AM
I think the producers must be running out of ideas because the tasks are just not as exciting as they have been in the past and really too easy for them. Except for the fact that most of the teams aren't very bright when it comes to figuring things out, this would have no challenge at all.

I'm glad Terrance and Sarah got penalized for speeding because they have broken a lot of rules in their competitions. He seems to think he is above it all.

The mother and son are the only ones I think I would pull for. I think they are doing a pretty good job and aren't trying to do the other teams in. He is so funny when he says, "where is Cambodia, where is...?" She said "why did I pay for geography lessons?" :) I got to thinking about it after several said "Where is Cambodia?" that this generation really doesn't know anything about Cambodia or Vietnam. That is a shame.

TheDuckRocks
10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
This season's teams have been so boring for me that I forgot who had been sent home.:blush:
I agree that Dallas and Toni and the frat boys are the only ones I like.
As for geography, a few years ago they asked graduating college students across the country to show where on a globe they live and the majority could not do so. And it went downhill from there when asked the location of NYC, LA, DC, London, Paris and Japan, amoung others. Sad!

tinkwest
11-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Wouldn't you know this would be a non elimination week!! :angry:

jonsmom
11-03-2008, 09:30 PM
I know...how frustrating. She was so annoying last night

Beast_fanatic
11-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I had expected last week to be a non-elimination week, so when it wasn't, I was sure that this week would be. I'm just hoping that they can't recover from the "speed bump" penalty.

tinkwest
11-10-2008, 01:53 PM
This was a fun week to watch. I loved the Paint Wars. I'll kind of miss watching Kelly & Christy misread their clues. I can't believe they could be so consistently clueless.

Ian
11-11-2008, 08:36 AM
I found Sunday's episode just wildly entertaining. Frustrating at times, but one of the best episodes I've seen from this show nonetheless.

First off, Kelly and Christy totally deserved to be eliminated. Rarely have I ever see two more hapless people when it comes to challenges. They could not possibly have messed that first challenge up any worse. I kept wondering when they were going to bother to re-read the clue, but they just kept standing there watching other teams go by. I mean you'd think after the first team ran in and passed you you might take a second to regroup?? Duh ...

And then it went downhill from there. They didn't do any better in power line challenge either.

Rarely can I remember a time when the eliminated team just so richly deserved to get the boot.

On a side note, I'm just wondering if Terrence could possibly be a bigger whiner? :ack:

pixiesmimi
11-11-2008, 09:30 AM
That was what I was thinking. I kept saying "When are you going to stop and reread the clue and figure out what you are doing wrong?" You would think as many times as they misread previous clues and kept saying "We are going to play smarter and read better" that it would finally sink in. I would have been very upset if they had beat the frat boys to the pit stop because they definately didn't deserve to stay. Then I held my breath that he didn't say this was a non-eliminating round.

brownie
11-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I've been waiting for them to be eliminated!

jonsmom
11-11-2008, 05:07 PM
I thought Ken & Tina were much more tolerable this week. I thought it was very nice that they helped the boys figure out the clues/numbers on the electric lines.

TheDuckRocks
11-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I thought Ken & Tina were much more tolerable this week. I thought it was very nice that they helped the boys figure out the clues/numbers on the electric lines.

I thought so too and I liked how she tried hard to be gracious with the water roadbump. OK, they can stay another week. Wonder if she got the green coloring out of her hair, when you have hair that bleached it becomes very porous.
I was so glad to see Kelly and Christy gone, they were so mean.
Now if Terrence and what's-her-name go this week, I'd be happy. He just can't stop blaming every wrong turn on everybody but himself.:mad:

jonsmom
11-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Sarah & Terrance need to go. I swear if I heard her say "babe" one more time, I would vomit.

I think I dislike her so much because she looks like a family member :D

c&d
11-12-2008, 09:51 AM
I loved the paint war. It seemed as if certain teams were pounded more then others (particularly teams I don't like :D)

Terrance is such a whiner. Can they please be eliminated. They are really driving me crazy.

What is it with reading the clues this time. Everyone seems to be having a hard time reading the clues.

NotaGeek
11-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Ok, seriously? What is the deal with the teams this season not reading their clues?

TheDuckRocks
11-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Many of the teams this year have been having an issue with reading the clues this year and then when they mess up they just come back and do it again on the next challenge. Could it be that AR has made them not as clear or do we just have a group of dummies?

Oh yeah...........He's Gone!!!:woohoo::joy::fresh::clappy::yay:

Ian
11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Glad to see Terrance and Sarah gone. He annoyed me to no end and just further reinforced my thoughts on him with that whole whiney "I don't eat meat." stuff. If you came on this show thinking you'd be able to get away without eating any meat as part of a roadblock, you were fooling yourself. Loser. Glad he's outta here.

The whole clue thing is actually hurting my enjoyment of the show. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of watching these bozos stumble around like idiots week in and week out. We had what? Like 3 teams at least this week who misread clues???

I think they recruited a group of dum-dums this season or something.

Mousefever
11-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Makes me think we should be hosting a benefit: CLUES FOR THE CLUELESS!

Amy

Tick-Tock
11-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I wonder if it has to do with them being jet-lagged and stressed - they just aren't thinking very well. On the other hand, I hope that if I knew I wasn't thinking well, I'd make an extra effort to really pay attention and re-read the clue.

thrillme
11-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I was annoyed at the whole "I don't eat meat" thing. Where as I do understand that when you haven't eaten meat in a long time your stomach just doesn't tolerate it well BUT...

a). It's for a million dollars. I can afford a new stomach or a day of :ack:

b). What did he think he was going to eat in a middle eastern resturant??? Ramen? :confused:

brownie
11-17-2008, 04:14 PM
I was talking to my bride about this last night. It hasn't been just one team; there's been several teams that have misread the clues (although the divorcees seemed to have the most trouble if memory serves me correctly.)

It also seems like nobody is using maps; getting directions has seemed to be a bigger challenge in this race.

I was hoping Team "Dandrew" would get elminated last night; hopefully next week they'll be gone.

pixiesmimi
11-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah, they have been getting steadily worse every week. I think the Frat boys are breaking down mentally. Leaving your shoes behind? That is why you have a back pack! Dumb!

One person on the team should be reading the clue while the other member is performing the task. That way you know you are doing it right. Just think what all the family members and friends of these dummies are thinking about right now.

MegaDisney
11-17-2008, 09:28 PM
I am tired of the whiney Frat boys....

NJDad
11-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Many of the teams this year have been having an issue with reading the clues this year and then when they mess up they just come back and do it again on the next challenge. Could it be that AR has made them not as clear or do we just have a group of dummies?

Well, this week we saw the team read aloud "MAKE YOUR WAY ON FOOT" and then jump in a cab...

Next time they could write "MAKE YOUR WAY ON FOOT OR WALK OR JOG OR RUN OR SKIP OR HOP..."

c&d
11-19-2008, 09:28 AM
I am tired of the whiney Frat boys....

:ditto:

And I certainly wasn't sorry to see whiney boy go. Good golly he was annoying.

I also enjoyed, I'm very observant so I'll lead, miss the clue at the bottom of the glass.

I have to say I'm now rooting for Mom & Son and Brother and Sister to win.

Mousefever
11-19-2008, 01:51 PM
I was just thinking of the other annoying whiner from AR past: FLO! If the frat boys end up winning, (and I don't see how they could), it would be as bad as when Zach and Flo won. At least I liked Zach. I'm routing for Dallas and Toni, but I also like Nick and Star.

Amy

pixiesmimi
11-23-2008, 10:01 PM
OMG! I thought for sure we would be rid of the bumbling frat boys tonight! Let's be done with their ineptness in reading clues and performing the tasks! Why did they have to make this a non-elimination round? Maybe they did this because so many people wanted them gone. :D

NotaGeek
11-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Dear God. Seriously? The frat boys are truly making the Amazing Race unbearable.

Ian
11-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Okay, wait ... seriously?? I mean could he really have been that bad at marching?? There's no way ... he had to have been doing that on purpose, although why I simply cannot imagine. I refuse to believe that anyone could be that uncoordinated.

They're really ruining this final run for me. I was so hoping they'd get the boot last night, but I knew it had to be a non-elim since we haven't had that many yet. They just stink, though. I mean they're pathetic.

At this point, I actually will be fine with whomever wins as long as it isn't "Dandrew." I think the remaining three teams have been dominant and ran a great race. They all deserve it to one degree or another.

c&d
11-24-2008, 09:59 AM
While watching the show last night I turned to DH and said, they've only had 1 non elimination round so this will be another. And so the frat boys continue.:mad:

TheDuckRocks
11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Good grief!!! Messing up the clues again! I can't believe these 2. I just knew it had to be a non-elim and just wonder if they did too. My hubby who doesn't watch the show with me, happened to walk through when "Dandrew" were doing the martching and remarked that it looked to him if "the jerk" was trying to get sent home. Could it be?

Ian
11-24-2008, 12:22 PM
My hubby who doesn't watch the show with me, happened to walk through when "Dandrew" were doing the martching and remarked that it looked to him if "the jerk" was trying to get sent home. Could it be?It looked that way to me, too, but why?? That's what didn't make any sense to me.

I basically had two schools of thought ... one was that they were trying to make a reality show name for themselves in the hopes of somehow being able to milk stupidity for some cash after the show. The other was that he was purposely trying to get kicked off the show. But that doesn't really hold water, Andrew must have known if he was faking or not. If he thought he was tanking it on purpose, wouldn't he have called him out on it?

NotaGeek
11-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Good grief!!! Messing up the clues again! I can't believe these 2. I just knew it had to be a non-elim and just wonder if they did too. My hubby who doesn't watch the show with me, happened to walk through when "Dandrew" were doing the martching and remarked that it looked to him if "the jerk" was trying to get sent home. Could it be?

Okay, wait ... seriously?? I mean could he really have been that bad at marching?? There's no way ... he had to have been doing that on purpose, although why I simply cannot imagine. I refuse to believe that anyone could be that uncoordinated.

They're really ruining this final run for me. I was so hoping they'd get the boot last night, but I knew it had to be a non-elim since we haven't had that many yet. They just stink, though. I mean they're pathetic.

At this point, I actually will be fine with whomever wins as long as it isn't "Dandrew." I think the remaining three teams have been dominant and ran a great race. They all deserve it to one degree or another.

Well, in the previews for next week it showed Dan dancing for one of the next segments and it looks like he wasn't faking it. Too weird, I thought it was physically impossible to be that dorkish.

MegaDisney
11-24-2008, 01:51 PM
I am so sick of these two! Whiney, arrogant and stupid all rolled together. I love that they said weeks ago that they couldn't win physically but had the advantage mentally. They can't even read instructions! Can't wait for them to be gone!

Go Dallas and Toni!

tinkwest
11-24-2008, 03:07 PM
I couldn't march that poorly even if I tried. So, with that in mind I'm guessing he truly has NO rhythm. But at the same time my brain just can not wrap itself around the idea that someone could actually be that uncoordinated. Either way those two can't last much longer.

Pulling for Toni & Dallas.

pixiesmimi
11-25-2008, 09:25 AM
When he said that he never did anything except watch TV and play games, my DH said well that explains everything. :) Unfortunately, I'm afraid there are a lot more out there like him that never get out and do anything physically and are spending their lives on the couch. It did really look unreal that it didn't change any no matter how many times he tried but I have seen some kids that really are that uncoordinated. I would have stopped after the first time or two and moved on. But what is with them not even being able to wrap the cloth around their feet. Good Grief!

I had hoped at the first of this season that it would be like last season with no or only one or two non-eliminating rounds. Unfortunately, they come when we don't want them to. I'm hoping their speed bump will be like this task and will be something they can't complete. I was also wondering what they would have done if the taxi driver had refused to let them go when they ran out of money.

MegaDisney
11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
I was also wondering what they would have done if the taxi driver had refused to let them go when they ran out of money.

I was hoping that he would have called the Police. Better them in a Russian prison than invading my T.V. every week! :)

pixiesmimi
11-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Weren't they in Mombai, India (Bombay) earlier or was that another season? If it was, it is a good thing that it was filmed earlier and they are not there now after what happened there today. Can you imagine running the race there and something like that happening? I often wonder how safe they are in some of these countries they go to.

NotaGeek
11-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Weren't they in Mombai, India (Bombay) earlier or was that another season? If it was, it is a good thing that it was filmed earlier and they are not there now after what happened there today. Can you imagine running the race there and something like that happening? I often wonder how safe they are in some of these countries they go to.
Yes, they were in Bombay. Since they travel to 3rd world countries, I am sure safety is always considered. There are riots, terrorist actions and the like all over the world ... so personal safety can't ever be assured anywhere.

MNNHFLTX
11-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Well, in the previews for next week it showed Dan dancing for one of the next segments and it looks like he wasn't faking it. Too weird, I thought it was physically impossible to be that dorkish.Me too, but it was great entertainment. I think we went back and watched that part three times! (And no, I'm not proud of myself for it!)

Not really surprising that it was a non-elimination round; I figured they were due. I'm stilling cheering on Toni and Dallas, although I don't detest any of the finalists as I have in seasons past.

pixiesmimi
11-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Man, I am so mad and bummed with who got eliminated tonight and that the frat boys actually made it into the final three! :mad: They don't deserve to be there and now there is only one team I want to see win whereas before it was kind of a toss up. If the frat boys win next week, that will be the last time I watch the show. They have screwed up so many times that they just don't deserve to be there. They should have been eliminated last week.

This seemed to be a tough week for clues. They were very detailed this week. I was really surprised that some of them didn't misread the clues again this week with them being so detailed.

NotaGeek
12-01-2008, 04:19 AM
WOW. This week's episode had really complicated tasks! I couldn't believe that Dallas forgot his bag/passport/money in the cab. I think this is the first time in the race that someone lost their passport! I wonder what would have happened if they didn't get eliminated?

NJDad
12-01-2008, 05:59 AM
The frat boys definitely deserved what they got last night...they didn't leave their stuff in a cab and didn't spend a long time looking for a clue box by not paying attention.

Even with the extra speed bump task they finished second, so it's hard to see how they didn't 'deserve' it.

Carol
12-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Hmmm. I think any team that makes it to the mat before elimination is deserving. That's the whole gist of the game. :confused:

I'm rooting for the Brother & Sister with the Frat Boys as my second choice. I don't like the "wife" and all of her blame game drama.

MNNHFLTX
12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm not real thrilled with the outcome of last night's show, but that was a huge mistake that Dallas made in leaving their money and his passport in that cab. If I had been in his shoes, I think I would have hailed another cab and tried to catch up with the one his belongings were left in. Anyway, out of the teams left I really think Nick and Starr are the sharpest and I think they have the best chance of winning.

pixiesmimi
12-01-2008, 10:53 AM
I didn't mean that the frat boys didn't deserve to get to the mat last night because they did do better last night but with all their bumbling and stupidity in all the last legs, I don't think they deserve to win the million. He did get help counting the statues because he couldn't do it on his own like everyone else and still got it wrong. They didn't show how he came to the right answer in the end. I'm sorry, I just think that Dallas and Toni did a much better job the whole season and except for one mistake of leaving his bag in the Taxi, deserved to be on that mat rather than the frat boys. They ran a good race and didn't fuss and fume like the others did. Many of the teams, frat boys included, made many worse mistakes than leaving a bag along the way. But it is done. Now the only one I am rooting for is Star and her brother (don't know why I can't remember his name :blush:). I wish the rest of the tasks on the show had been as detailed and difficult as this show was. It seemed rather tame this time around. I wonder if they had extra passports for them in case something like this happened or how they would get back home or out of the country. I'm like you, I would have chased that taxi down because he realized it immediately. Couldn't have taken more time than them having to beg everywhere for money to get to the next clues.

tinkwest
12-01-2008, 10:54 AM
The Frat Boys made quite a comeback last night. Shows they have brains when they choose to use them.

I had to laugh at Tina's expression when Phil said "You are the third team to arrive . . . however . . . ". And poor Ken, following his bossy wife (as he has been trained to do) rather than using his own head to figure out the clue. I really thought that mistake in going to the mat early was going to let Dallas and Toni sneak ahead of them.

Dallas must have really felt like he let his mother down with that critical mistake. Too bad, after doing so well throughout most of the race he had to screw up so horribly.

NotaGeek
12-01-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm sorry, I just think that Dallas and Toni did a much better job the whole season and except for one mistake of leaving his bag in the Taxi, deserved to be on that mat rather than the frat boys.
Sorry, but that was THE biggest mistake possible on the race. He lost his passport and all their money ... he would have had NO money to get in another cab to chase his down ... and it was pretty clear from his confusion that he had no idea what the cab looked like anyway. Imagine being in New York forgetting something in a cab and you run back out to the curb after 2 minutes and lood down the street into the sea of yellow taxis. There would be NO way to find your specific car.

What I have always liked about the race is the most important thing is to race SMART. Here's my question ... why in the HECK didn't the mom choose to do this Road Block? It was a THINKING challenge ... she sent her son to do a THINKING challenge? Well, Dallas shouldn't feel bad, no one ever thought he was a genius, including his mom since she said "I don't even know if Dallas knows who Stalin and Lenin are" ... HELLO all they had to do was compare WORDS, as they wrote out the names in Cyrillic characters.

brownie
12-04-2008, 02:33 PM
I felt bad for Dallas and Toni. It was a bad mistake and it couldn't have happened at a worse time for them. They stuck with it though; their soliciting effort reminded me of the Hippies from a few seasons ago.

I was really hoping that team Dandrew would be eliminated. I think Nick & Starr have the best chances to win it all, but anything is possible.

NotaGeek
12-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Here's an interview I found on fancast website, it has some interesting insight about Dallas/Toni and how the editing worked on their final episode:

Toni and Dallas won the hearts of The Amazing Race fans with their sweet, supportive relationship and their superior racing skills. Everyone through they were a lock to make the final three. Alas, when Dallas accidentally left his money and passport in the cab the team was doomed. The two of them spoke with fancast about what really happened in that ill-fated cab, Dallas’s flirtation with Starr and how they managed to work so effectively together during the race.

Toni, why did you ask Dallas to take the statues roadblock?
Toni: I mentally felt like I wasn’t at the top of my game that day. That’s why I asked Dallas to take it. We had been running for taxis for like an hour in the morning. We couldn’t find a taxi to get us to the place where the monuments were. Nobody knew where it was. We were sure that we were way at the back of the pack by the time we got there. I just felt like my mind wasn’t going to be totally set on this to be able to do it. We started reading the clue. You only have one line that tells you what to do. When Dallas started reading what it was we had to do I started thinking, “Oh my gosh. I don’t know what’s going to happen here.”

Dallas, how, exactly, did you end up leaving your money and passports in the cab?
Dallas: What happened was I had to do a microphone battery change. I was in the cab for about an hour. The driver didn’t know where he was going. I said, “I need a new taxi.” So, as I was getting out to do the microphone change [the Amazing Race staff] undid my fanny pack with all my stuff in it because they had to get to the microphone. When I got out of the first taxi, it wasn’t attached to me anymore. I hopped into a new taxi, took that to where I needed to be and then went to pay. I didn’t have any money. That’s when I realized I’d left it in the previous taxi.

What did you do, since you had no money to pay the second taxi?
Dallas: I tried to tell him I had nothing. What really happened was I took that second taxi back to a hotel. I then used a concierge service to take a third taxi to get there. When I realized I didn’t have any money I was shocked. The second driver was trying to get his fare. I think he could see from the expression on my face that I had lost so much stuff. He finally just let me go, didn’t care really. Then I took a third taxi, and I had the concierge service at the hotel tell them that I’d come back and pay later. I was planning on getting money from other racers to be able to pay. They made it look like the taxi with my pack drove away and I just watched it and waved goodbye. That was far from the case.

Did you ultimately pay the third taxi?
Dallas: He got paid back by production. By that point the race had ended for us. We couldn’t do anything about it.
How far behind everyone were you?
Dallas: They said we were about thirty minutes behind Kenny and Tina.
Toni: Maybe an hour. But we hadn’t even finished the rest of the leg. I’m sure we would have been hours behind.

Was the decision to take the metro instead of a taxi to the woman with the Shetland pony a misreading of the clue or a strategic decision to save money and take a time penalty?
Toni: It was a strategic move. I said, “Dallas, this is what we need to do.” To be fair to the race, we were running rogue. We said we don’t care about the rules anymore, let them penalize us. I’ve got a kid without a passport here. Let’s just do what we can do and take whatever penalties they throw at us. That’s really the wrong attitude to have out there. They did then tell us we had to take a taxi. Unfortunately we couldn’t take the metro back because we weren’t allowed to be on the metro after three o’clock and it was three fifteen. We ended up having to walk for about two hours to get all the way back to where we had started. We were trying to beg for money all the way there so we could have enough money to take the taxi back. We lost a couple hours by making that decision.

What was your reaction when Phil popped up to eliminate you in the middle of your leg?
Dallas: It was bittersweet. It was great that our misery had finally ended. It was so cold, it was so long. But we had the mindset that we wanted to finish the thing. Phil realized we had been going so long with no food and no water.
Toni: And we were begging. They probably had to get the beggars off the street.

Phil seemed sad that he had to let you go. You were consistently one of the top three teams. How do you feel about Dan and Andrew, who were always at the back of the pack, making it to the finals instead of you?
Toni: That’s the beauty of the race. Anything can happen. In Bolivia we were last and a wonderful taxi driver is what made the difference for us and got us into second place. We don’t begrudge them being out there. All of them deserve to be there.

Now that you’ve had time to get some perspective, how do you feel about the way things ended?
Toni: Things happened the way they happened for a reason. We spent a lot of time on the street begging for money. We didn’t feel real enamored of the Russian people on our first leg. So at first it was a little tough. We thought, “These people don’t even like us.” We really had to work it. We found there were as many people who were helpful to us on the streets as there were who weren’t. It gave us the opportunity to see a whole different side of these people of Russia that we would not have had if the experience hadn’t been what it was. I’m grateful for the way things turned out because we got to see things that we wouldn’t have seen otherwise.

How long did it take you to get new passports? Did you make the finish line?
Dallas: We weren’t able to make the finish line. We did get my passport back the next morning. Someone turned it into the embassy. We ended up meeting with the cast at a party they throw for everybody at the end.

Dallas, you and Starr seemed flirtatious on the race. What’s going on with the two of you?
Dallas: We’ve been dating for a while now, about six months. We’re taking it one day at a time.

The two of you had such a supportive, positive relationship. How did you stay on an even keel throughout the stresses of the race?
Toni: When it was time to go and run the race, we ran the race. We were focused. We knew there was a goal. We just did it. Once we got to the pit stop and we had some time to relax, we were joking. We were fighting. We were arguing. Dallas would beg me for food. We had that time. We were ourselves. It wasn’t that hard to be focused during the race at the race times. That’s what worked for us.

What inspired the two of you to try out for the race?
Dallas: My Mom was like, “You’re coming down this weekend and we’re going to do it.” It was my birthday last year, December eighth. That’s when the open casting call was. It was in San Jose. I was at school at UC David about two hours away. I was out with my friends on Friday night until about four in the morning. I work up at five, drove down pretty much still drunk.
Toni: Not that I approved of that.
Dallas: We were in line with all these people and we just winged it.

How has going on the race changed your lives?
Toni: From a daily perspective, the race has made me look at my life and how I treat others in my life differently. I don’t ever want to lose the beauty of what we saw in Cambodia and India, the warm hearts and the gentleness of the people and the peace that they have within themselves. As far as my relationship with my child goes, I think it’s obvious. I love him to death. He’s stuck with me now forever.
Dallas: It was a real eye opening experience going to places like Cambodia where people have no money and yet they’re still so happy. It makes you really want to see the world and get outside of your comfort zone. I can’t wait to be able to travel to so many other places.

What advice would you give to future competitors?
Dallas: Put your passport and all your money in a very secure place. Put it in your underwear, wherever you need to.
Toni: It’s all about the taxis.
Dallas: The taxis are what make it or break it.

Mousefever
12-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for posting that interview! It was very interesting the way the editing worked in that episode.

Amy

pixiesmimi
12-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Here's an interview I found on fancast website, it has some interesting insight about Dallas/Toni and how the editing worked on their final episode:

After reading all of that, do you think they should have penalized Dallas and Toni for losing the bag? Seems to me that was the race crew's fault. Looks like they would have made allowance for that somehow. I'm not sure if that is what made him lose it or if it was just bad taxis. If it was just the bad taxis, then I could understand them being last and being eliminated. But if this was a technical glitch, I don't think they should have made it look like Dallas' fault and should have made an effort to get his passports and money back or new ones. I wonder how many times something like this happens on the race that isn't the contestant's fault but they have to pay for it. Can't wait to see Sunday's finale.

MNNHFLTX
12-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, that is an eye-opening interview. Sounds like the situation was much complicated than the show presented it to be (as far as Dallas and Toni). I wondered about Phil meeting them to inform them they were done before they had even completed the leg (has that every happened before?) And what a shame they didn't make to the finish line with the rest of the teams. But that's all part of the race, I guess.

TheDuckRocks
12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Yes, that has happened before. In an early season I clearly remember Phil going out in the dark to some beach in South American, I think, while a team was still out there digging in the sand for something that would get them the next clue. It might have happened a couple of other times too.

pixiesmimi
12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
The part I don't understand is Dallas and Toni not being at the finish line with everyone else. Why would the show not have helped them get to the finish line to welcome the winners like everyone else? Would it be because they had to wait on new passports and do the rest of the group wait around or travel around with them until the race is finished so they can be there to greet them?

dolphinmickey9170
12-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Okay......so the show is over, but Toni and Dallas weren't there at the final pit stop. I wonder what happened to them after they lost their passports.

pixiesmimi
12-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Okay......so the show is over, but Toni and Dallas weren't there at the final pit stop. I wonder what happened to them after they lost their passports.

See the above post about the real circumstances of why they weren't there, but I agree, I wonder how long it took them to get new passports and what happened. I wish they could have put off the ending until Dallas and Toni could be there. That was sad! I am very delighted in the end though! :D DH asked if second or third place got any money. Anyone know the answer?

NotaGeek
12-08-2008, 01:35 AM
See the above post about the real circumstances of why they weren't there, but I agree, I wonder how long it took them to get new passports and what happened. I wish they could have put off the ending until Dallas and Toni could be there. That was sad! I am very delighted in the end though! :D DH asked if second or third place got any money. Anyone know the answer?
In the interview with Dallas he said he got his passport back the next morning. It would have been kind of hard to put off the ending, since it's a race and all, ya know -- and depending on when the Embassy opened for him to pick it up, odds are they would have missed any flight to get them back to the US, Hollywood has no control over Embassy operating hours. One of the cool things about the Amazing Race is that it runs straight through. 12 hour rest periods at each pit stop and it's off to the next leg, so it was just the next day when the race ended.

I thought it was an awesome ending, and I am totally happy with the winners.

NJDad
12-08-2008, 05:29 AM
They all get some money, but like most reality shows, they're really stingy with the bucks paid to the contestants.

From Tampa newspaper (where Ken and Tina live):

Tina Greene said second-place prize money totaled $25,000.

Unverified online rumor of the breakdown of prizes, but at least 2nd place confirmed by the Tampa story...

1st- 1,000,000
2nd- 25,000
3rd- 10,000
4th- 7,000
5th- 6,000
6th- 5,000
7th- 4,000
8th- 3,500
9th- 3,000
10th- 2,500
11th- 1,500

Carol
12-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Very happy with the outcome. :yay:

I wondered about Phil meeting them to inform them they were done before they had even completed the leg (has that every happened before?) Yep. It happens from time to time - especially when the timespan is quite large.

I remember the very first season Team Guido were days behind and still in Alaska when the winners crossed the finish line in New York. The show producers actually called them at one of the pit stops to let them know the race was over.

You'll notice there are a lot more "catch up" places along the way when the teams have to wait for opening times and the such. Hence huge gaps like that don't happen much anymore.

Ian
12-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I wondered about Phil meeting them to inform them they were done before they had even completed the leg (has that every happened before?)Yeah, it has. I remember one season there were two girls who were digging through these huge bales of hay for like 12 hours looking for a clue and they just couldn't find it. Eventually they came out and told them they had been eliminated.

I was happy with the ending. The best team definitely won. And the frat boys finished in a fitting manner ... far behind and totally out of it due to their own ineptitude. How they ever managed to finish top 3 I have no clue. Hopefully they'll now fade back into obscurity where we'll never have to see them again!

BriarRose0708
12-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I work with college students for a living and the frat boys are the reason why so many people have a bad image of Greek life.

I actually had to miss the finale last night but saw the winners on Regis and Kelly this morning. I was very happy with the outcome, now I just have to track down the episode and see how they won!

MNNHFLTX
12-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I remember the very first season Team Guido were days behind and still in Alaska when the winners crossed the finish line in New York. The show producers actually called them at one of the pit stops to let them know the race was over.
Wow, that is amazing. Glad that they now have those "catch-up" places so that no team get that far behind again.

I, too, was really happy with the outcome. Nick and Star were the most consistent of all the teams and were always supportive of each other too, which was a pleasure to watch. I do have to say that Ken and Tina ran a good race, especially at the end.

Tick-Tock
12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Yes, that has happened before. In an early season I clearly remember Phil going out in the dark to some beach in South American, I think, while a team was still out there digging in the sand for something that would get them the next clue. It might have happened a couple of other times too.

Wasn't that in Egypt? They were looking for a scarab, if I remember correctly.

NotaGeek
12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I work with college students for a living and the frat boys are the reason why so many people have a bad image of Greek life.
I was in a Fraternity, and none of my brothers were like the frat boys ... and to be honest they seemed a lot more like nerdy tech guys to me ... no offense to any nerdy tech guys that happen to be on INTERCOT. :mickey:

Coincidentally, the guys were members of Alpha Epsilon Pi which is a national Jewish Fraternity -- which is a bit different than the all-jock booze drinking college fraternity that many think of when you hear the term "frat boy".

Ian
12-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Wow, that is amazing. Glad that they now have those "catch-up" places so that no team get that far behind again.See and I have the opposite opinion. I always find the "catch-ups" to be manufactured ways to keep underperforming teams in the race. IMO, it should be completely sink or swim. If you fall that far back, then so be it. TAR shouldn't manipulate the stages of the race to keep you in it, if you ask me.

I was in a Fraternity, and none of my brothers were like the frat boys ... and to be honest they seemed a lot more like nerdy tech guys to me ... no offense to any nerdy tech guys that happen to be on INTERCOT. :mickey:I thought the same thing. They struck me more like computer nerds than they did "beer-guzzling frat boys."

pixiesmimi
12-08-2008, 05:00 PM
See and I have the opposite opinion. I always find the "catch-ups" to be manufactured ways to keep underperforming teams in the race. IMO, it should be completely sink or swim. If you fall that far back, then so be it. TAR shouldn't manipulate the stages of the race to keep you in it, if you ask me.

I thought the same thing. They struck me more like computer nerds than they did "beer-guzzling frat boys."

I thought that, too. I don't like it when a team is way out in the lead and then they let them all catch up at the airport or somewhere. That isn't fair to the lead team. I really liked the earlier seasons better than I do now because I feel like they are manipulating the race more now.

When the frat guys said last night, "I feel we really represented the Fraternities well and they are proud of us." :ack: I said "I know a lot of fraternity guys that would take offense to that!" They really didn't deserve to be in the final three no matter how it happened because Dallas and Toni and others ran a better race and except for that accident would have beaten them out for third and the frat guys should have been eliminated when they came in last on that other leg. But it is done and they did run the last part better than any of the other legs.

I think Tina was counting that million long before the finish. :) That is a big difference between $1M and $25,000. I didn't realize that all of the teams or most seem to get something. That is interesting.

NotaGeek
12-08-2008, 05:21 PM
They really didn't deserve to be in the final three no matter how it happened because Dallas and Toni and others ran a better race and except for that accident would have beaten them out for third and the frat guys should have been eliminated when they came in last on that other leg. But it is done and they did run the last part better than any of the other legs.
Well, technically the frat guys did deserve to be in the final 3 since they beat Dallas and Toni ... like Phil says, "the last team might be eliminated" ... and Dallas and Toni made the biggest mistake of any team in the history of the race, they lost their passport and money which ultimately would be ANY travelers demise on a trip. Whether it be luck, skill or what have you, the LAST team deserves to be eliminated.

Mousefever
12-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm happy for Nick and Star! They ran a great race.

I think it would be cool if they had all the winners past race against each other. They could pay the players a certain amount, but have them mostly play for a charity of their choosing.

The Frat guys actually remind me of that Superbad movie.

On my college campus there were a few different fraternities. At the beginning of the year the fraternities would have parties for the freshman girls, based on the "pig book". (We found this out later.) The "pig book" had pictures of all the incoming freshmen. It was lovely being leered at.

Ian
12-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I agree with Michael. While some groups may be more or less deserving than others of a win, that mistake by Dallas was just huge and based on that alone it was right that the frat boys finished ahead of them.

As bumbling as they were, they always managed to somehow overcome their failings.

dolphinmickey9170
12-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Thank you, Pixiesmimi, I missed that post!

pixiesmimi
12-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Well, technically the frat guys did deserve to be in the final 3 since they beat Dallas and Toni ... like Phil says, "the last team might be eliminated" ... and Dallas and Toni made the biggest mistake of any team in the history of the race, they lost their passport and money which ultimately would be ANY travelers demise on a trip. Whether it be luck, skill or what have you, the LAST team deserves to be eliminated.

I agree on the one hand but what I disagree about is that they made the biggest mistake. If it wasn't for the crew getting him out of the taxi to replace the battery in his mike and taking his bag off, he probably wouldn't have left it behind. So I have to say that it was also the crew's fault and just think they should have given them some sort of concession for this because it wasn't all his fault. It made for good editing though since there wasn't a lot of drama in this leg. What is done is done, but I just feel bad for them when it wasn't totally his fault. But I guess you can equate it to one of the cars breaking down or running out of gas or something. Just bad circumstances that they couldn't overcome.

NotaGeek
12-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I agree on the one hand but what I disagree about is that they made the biggest mistake. If it wasn't for the crew getting him out of the taxi to replace the battery in his mike and taking his bag off, he probably wouldn't have left it behind. So I have to say that it was also the crew's fault and just think they should have given them some sort of concession for this because it wasn't all his fault. It made for good editing though since there wasn't a lot of drama in this leg. What is done is done, but I just feel bad for them when it wasn't totally his fault. But I guess you can equate it to one of the cars breaking down or running out of gas or something. Just bad circumstances that they couldn't overcome.
Well, to be honest, here is NO circumstance in the WORLD that would ever make me not have control of my passport. I have traveled the WORLD with all kinds of distractions, but have never lost my passport.

Regardless of what Dallas says happened, what it boils down to is that he was in the last leg before the final race and he lost his passport and money. Of course he is going to blame the production crew for taking his pack off and setting it down ... but he knew they took it off to replace his battery, he said that in this interview ... it's not like he just set down a watch and walked away ... it's the pack with is passport and all his money! It's kind of an important detail when you are racing around the world for a $1,000,000.00 prize.

Ian
12-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I completely agree with Michael. Your passport is basically your life in the Amazing Race. I wouldn't move a muscle without first being sure it was glued to my body. Ditto for my cash.

It was a huge mistake, regardless of the impetus for it. Ultimately, he's responsible for keeping track of his documentation and cash. Losing it was a disasterous move that rightly cost them the race.

MNNHFLTX
12-09-2008, 03:36 PM
My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine being separated from my passport when traveling in a foreign country (unless it is locked up in a hotel safe). It would even be more crucial than money in the race, IMO. Just think--even if Dallas and Toni had just lost their passports (and not their money) and managed to not come in last, they would still be out of the race due to the time it would take to get a new passport.

NotaGeek
12-09-2008, 04:06 PM
My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine being separated from my passport when traveling in a foreign country (unless it is locked up in a hotel safe). It would even be more crucial than money in the race, IMO. Just think--even if Dallas and Toni had just lost their passports (and not their money) and managed to not come in last, they would still be out of the race due to the time it would take to get a new passport.
Absolutely! :thumbsup:

JanetMegan
12-10-2008, 08:41 AM
You know I guess I always thought second place got $100,000 like on Survivor...guess I was wrong ;) I just watched this the other day and missed the episode last week so I felt a little lost but glad for the winners.

brownie
12-10-2008, 09:43 AM

I read an interview that Dallas and Toni gave. It wasn't completely his fault. The production crew needed to change a microphone battery and undid his fanny pack while they made the change. The fanny pack didn't end up getting redone. The whole thing also involved three different cabs according to Dallas.

tinkwest
12-10-2008, 10:57 AM
It amuses me that there is more discussion on this topic after the show has ended than there was during the race.

The bottom line is that whether the viewer likes or dislikes a team the whole name of the game is to NOT COME IN LAST during each leg of the race and TO COME IN FIRST during the final leg. And whoever can do that is the winner. It is up to each team to accomplish this through things they have no control over (traffic jams and stupid cab drivers) and things they do have control over (unsuccessfully attempting Fast Forwards and keeping track of all their "stuff"). Each team "deserves" the position they earn.

NotaGeek
12-10-2008, 11:02 AM
I read an interview that Dallas and Toni gave. It wasn't completely his fault. The production crew needed to change a microphone battery and undid his fanny pack while they made the change. The fanny pack didn't end up getting redone. The whole thing also involved three different cabs according to Dallas.
Yeah, scroll up a few posts, that article is posted. Unfortunately we will never know what really happened, except that Dallas, by whatever forces, lost his passport and money and came in last, and the team was eliminated.