PDA

View Full Version : Our 25th Anniversary Dining Reviews

KatMark
09-23-2008, 01:19 PM
We were at the World September 1 - 9 for free dining and here are our table service reviews.

1. LeCellier. We had raved about this for months to our friends who joined us for this special trip and LeCellier did NOT let us down. By far, the best meal of the trip. We all had the Cheddar Cheese Soup as an appetizer (paid out of pocket). Let's just say as soon as Shelley and Tom got home (they left two days earlier than us), Shelley researched and found the receipe! Loved the pretzel and sourdough bread...we had 2-1/2 baskets worth. Shelley had the New York Strip Steak with Roasted Yukon Potatos and Tom had the Prime Rib with Yukon Potatos. Both said the meat was superb--so tender they only used their fork to cut it. My husband and I had the Mushroom Filet (me minus the mushrooms--don't like them) with the cream cheese mashed potatos. Cooked to perfection--tender, no fat and simply delicious. Tom doesn't like cream cheese and took a taste of my potatos--didn't know they were made with cream cheese; well, he kept trying to steal my potatos all night. I had the heavenly Chocolate on Chocolate Whiskey Cake for dessert--the best dessert in my eyes in Disney. The others all had the Chocolate Moose.

2. Yak & Yeti. I was a little leary of this place because I had read mixed reviews. However, my DH really likes this type of food (I'm not crazy) for it, so I said we'd give it a try. I am so glad we did. If it had not been for LeCellier, it could have taken #1 in our favorites. Shelley & Tom had the Shaoxing Steak & Shrimp and gave it two thumbs up (I tried a piece of the steak and it was great). DH had the Duck with Anadapur Glaze with Jasmine Rice and Stir Fried Vegtables and cleaned his plate. I had the Sweet/Sour Pork with White Rice and Stir Fried Vegetables. I wish there had been more Sweet/Sour Pork--it was that good and I finished the entire plate (excpet vegetables--not a big vegetable eater--especially stir fried).
We had the Mango Pie and Chocolate Brownie Sundaes for dessert (we boxed three of them to take back to the CSR because we were stuffed).

3. Fulton's Crab House. This was paid out of pocket as it is not on the dining plan. Beware: VERY EXPENSIVE. But it has sentimental meaning for us as it is first Disney restaurant my DH ever took me to and we wanted it to be our 25th anniversary special dinner. Three of us had Clam Chowder Soup (excellent) and my DH had the ceasar sald with those little fishes on it (UGH--fishies on a salad!). Shelley had the Grilled Shrimp with sauteed brococolini which she devoured; her husband and I had the Alaskan King Crab Claws which were out of this world heavenly. They came with the boiled red potatos (I gave my potatos to DH because he really likes them and I took his baked potato). My DH had the Grilled Tiaplia which was a special that evening. Mark has had Tiaplia cooked in all ways and many, many times. He said this was the best he ever had! The desserts were nothing to write home about and probably why this didn't make #2 on the list. They did write Happy Anniversary in chocolate sauce on the plate for us for our special occasion.

4. Crystal Palace for breakfast with Winnie-the-Pooh and Friends. This is one of three places we go every year (the others being LeCellier and The Plaza Restaurant). I love Pooh and friends, plus the puffed french toast is heavenly--I must have eaten four pieces. And love the potato casserole (three helpings!!!). The only thing I was dissatisfied with this trip was the bacon. To me, it just wasn't cooked enough (I like mine crisp, but this was really soft).

5. Plaza Restaurant. After all the heavy meals we eat on our trips, we enjoy this meal for the simple food--and it is really good. DH had the Plaza Club Sandwich with German Potato Salad and I had the Angus Chuck Cheeseburger with French Fries. Both were excellent (my cheeseburger was cooked perfectly). The portions are huge, so we shared a Hot Fudge Sundae for dessert. Can you say I'm in heaven after dessert?

6. Mama Melrose. The last two years, this was much higher on our list, but I was a little disappointed this year. I don't know if it is just because we went on arrival day and we were really all very tired from early morning flights and from the heat (we toured our resort early afternoon and then sat and watched Indiana Jones and it was like 105 in there), but it just didn't seem as good as the last three years. We had calamari for appetizer--it was okay--but way too many peppers for me. The men had salads. Shelley and I both had the Four-Cheese Flatbread Pizza which has always been my favorite and this is where I was disappointed. It just didn't seem to have the same good flavor as years past and it was a little overdone in spots. Tom had the Spaghetti Fra Diavolo which he liked a whole lot and my DH had the Pork Marsala which was really good (he gave me some of the pork and I wish I'd had that). For dessert, Creme Lemone, Chocolate Gelato and Chocolate Truffle Cake were ordered...they were all pretty good. Even though I was not as happy as in years past, we will be going back next year for the Fantasmic Package because we refuse to go to H&V--awful service and food on two occasions and we aren't big fans of Brown Derby and definitely don't think it is worth two table service credits.

7. Rose & Crown for lunch. We have always enjoyed this restaurant over the years. This year we were regretting not going to Biergarten instead (another fav of ours). Maybe we are just in a rut with this one and are tired of the same food. Shelley wondered why the Fish & Chips was french fries and not chips. Three of us had the Fish & Chips--to me it was a lot greasier this year than it has in years past; my DH had the Ploughman's Lunch along with a Guiness Beer which he really enjoyed. Tom and I had the Chocolate Scotch Cake (almost everywhere we went, Tom and I had the "CHOCOLATE" dessert); Shelley and Tom had the Warm Apple Crumble. I don't think we'll be back next year. But I will say this was the second best in service--we had a terrific waitress.

8. Cape May Cafe for breakfast. I don't know if we are just so in love with CP that we won't give any other buffet an inch, but we were not all that pleased with Cape May. We did not find that the offerings were any better than the CP. In fact, we thought CP offered a lot more. DH did appreciate the fact that they had really good grits.

9. Whispering Canyon Cafe for dinner. We've been wanting to try this after a lot of reviews and suggestions from other people. But we were totally disappointed and will not go back. It took 30 minutes past our ADR to be seated; we were taken to the room way out in back away from all the action (and passed at least three or four tables that we could have sat at in the main room which were still empty when we left!) out by Artist Pointe. I don't know if our waitress was new or what, but she was absolutely horrible. It took her 10 minutes to take our drink order; 10 more to bring them back; then another ten to take our order; a good 10 minutes after we had been done with our salads to come with our main course and another 10 to 15 to get the check. She was not funny at all (she threw the straws at us--that was it). We never heard them yelling about ketchup inside the whole time we were there (and we were there a long time because our waitress was so bad). We shared the skillet and the only good thing on it was the corn on the cob and the pulled pork that I would eat; DH ate the chicken, pork, ribs and cole slaw but didn't care for any of them. He was sick the rest of the night once we left. Definitely not going back.

Hope these are helpful in some fashion.

KatMark
09-23-2008, 11:26 PM
I also did reviews of Counter Service if anyone wants me to post them.

3AMommy
09-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the reviews!

I always love to read the dining reviews!
Now I am hungry and have to settle for something in my pantry...:sick:

When what I really want is the whiskey chocolate cake from Le Cellier!!!:D

Happy Anniversary BTW!

Me and my DH just celebrated 10 years this summer...I can't wait to celebrate our 25th at WDW!!!

3AMommy

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the reviews, by all means post the CS reviews....I would like to see them

yjgirl32
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Your reviews are one of the best that I have seen on here. Great great Job! I would love to read your review of the counter service meals. I am still new at going to Disney and meals are highly important to me so I would rather eat at places that someone has recommended. Thanks again for sharing.

Ropachs
09-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Your reviews are great, please post your CS reviews, I would love to read them!

SBETigg
09-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Good reviews. I don't know why I'm surprised that I keep hearing good things about Yak and Yeti. I didn't think it was going to be that good. I'll have to keep it on the "to try" list. I'm glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

simpleyred
09-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks for posting. Love to read reviews. Please post your CS reviews.

KatMark
09-24-2008, 09:13 PM
As requested, here are our Counter Service reviews. I think I forgot to metioin previously that my best friend and her DH were traveling with us (Shelley & Tom)--so you'll know who they are when I mention their meals--although they didn't do many counter services with us.
These are in order of best to worse counter service meals:

1. Cosmic Rays -- Magic Kingdom. We haven't dined here in years--it was always too crowded. But we were in the area and it wasn't crowded so we thought we'd give it a whirle. DH Had the Turkey Bacon Wrap and promptly announced that I was to put this on the list as a must-do every year. He loved his Wrap. I had the BBQ Pork Sandwich with Eclipse Chips. All I can say is--YUM. The sandwich was delicious and I loved the chips (I ate most of DH's too). DH had the No Sugar Added Brownie and I had the Chocolate Cake. I let DH eat most of the cake as I needed to save room for my daily popcorn. We will definitely be back.

2. Pepper Market -- Coronado Spring Resort -- Lunch and Breakfast. We had lunch the day we checked in. We wanted to keep it light as we had dinner adr's at Mama Melrose at 5:00 p.m. Each couple ordered from the deli and had the Ham and Cheese sandwich with fries/cole slaw. The bread was very fresh and the sandwich was huge--plenty for each couple to share. DH and Tom had Smoothies for dessert which they ended up going back a couple of times to get during the trip because they enjoyed them so much. I had a chocolate chip cookie which I took back to the room for a snack later. It was good--but not as good as my homemade chocolate chips. Shelley didn't get dessert for this meal (she is diabetic and tries not to eat desserts every day). Mark and I had breakfast one morning while Tom and Shelley slept in. We had a taste for omelets and went to the omelet station. We wanted American Cheese which they didn't have, but the cook willingly offered to go to one of the other stations to get some for us. He came back with extra and even put it on top of the omelets. They came with potatos and a biscuit. The omelet was huge and quite good (although I prefer the omelets at Waffle House--they are just so fluffy).
I also went and got a cappucino every morning at Pepper Market and they were quite good (I was beginning to have withdrawal about six days into the trip and DH took me to the closest Starbucks!).

3. Electric Umbrella -- Epcot. We dropped Shelley & Tom back at the CSR one night because Shelley had a migraine. DH and I decided to go to Epcot and hit a couple of the attractions we had missed the first day we visited, most especially Spaceship Earth. DH knew that this was going to be a very emotional ride for me. For those of you that don't know--my dad died a week before our trip and Spaceship Earth was his favorite ride in all of Disney. Well, DH is a smart man and it was a good thing just he and I went because I cried like a baby. Anyway, after we got done I had a headache and decided I needed to eat something. Since we knew we weren't going to walk way over to World Showcase, we decided to try Electric Umbrella which we hadn't been to since the kids were like 12 and 10 (they are 22 and 20 now). DH had the Tossed Island Chicken Salad--said it was fair--kind of soggy and he wasn't thrilled with dressing; I had the chicken nuggest with fries which were quite tasty (only thing is I wish they had Ranch Dressing...I like to eat my chicken nuggets with dressing rather than ketchup). We skipped dessert because we were having Gelatos at Pepper Market for a snack later.

#4. Pecos Bills -- Magic Kingdom. We've gone here a few times. We usually prefer Columbia Harbor House but the parade was going on and we didn't want to fight the crowds and we were by Pecos Bills so we went here. Shelley had the Taco Salad -- she said it was only okay--too much lettuce and very little meat. DH and Tom had the Bacon Double Cheeseburgers and had a good time at the topping bar. I had the regular cheeseburger. They weren't the best cheeseburgers we've ever had, but they certainly weren't the worse (that would be reserved for the last entry I will make in my reviews). We'd probably go back here again.

5. Flame Tree Barbecue -- Animal Kingdom. This has always been a must do. However, I was disappointed this year. DH had a barbecued pork sandwich with the corn bread (including mine because I don't like corn bread...I ate his beans) and he enjoyed his sandwich a lot. I, on the other hand, had the ribs and I was not happy with them. There was hardly any meat on them and there was a lot of grizzle. We have never had this problem before and just figure I got a bad slab this time around. We will go back again as they have other things we can order and that we enjoy.

6. Siesta Pool Bar -- Coronado Springs Resort. DH and I had the hot dog meal with fries. Absolutely the worse hot dog we have ever had. I had heartburn after eating it and I only ate half of it. On another day, we had the Siesta Nachos which were very, very good. We would definitely have those again. Shelley and I had a few Pina Coladas while at the pool--VERY tasty.

7. Old Port Royale Food Court at the Caribbean Beach Resort. We really didn't like this place the first time we went, but we always like to give each place two tries if possible. Since we didn't feel like driving over to any of the MK or Epcot resorts for a quick meal and were going Miniature Golfing, we decided to give it a second try. Bad mistake and never again. Nothing really appealed to me at any of the stations and I refuse to eat Florida pizza--we live in Chicago and we have some really good pizza here. The first time we went to Port Royale there were only two stations open--at least this visit they were all open--and the first visit the area where you get drinks, ketchup, etc. was a total pig sty and it was 1:00 in the afternoon). Anyway, I ordered a cheeseburger. Let's just say I would rather eat at McDonald's 7 nights a week and I HATE McDonald's. DH had the Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. Now, my husband loves to eat and can eat just about anything even if it isn't terrific. He ate about half of it and then threw the rest out--all he kept saying is "this is dry and horrible." We stopped at the Hess Gas Station and he got an ice cream on the way to golf.

TwingleMom
09-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for sharing I enjoyed your reviews.

Faver
09-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Great reviews!!! Very helpful

pdrlkr
09-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the reviews! :smickey:

dolphinmickey9170
09-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the great reviews. I agree with both of your number 1's!:number1:

KatMark
09-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks everyone. Glad you enjoyed them.