09-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Plan for the Day:
Free Day
Pool/Downtown Disney
Bongo’s Cuban Café for Lunch
Carriage Ride at Fort Wilderness at 8:30
Hoop De Doo 9:30 show

Mileage: 2.66 (due to spending a significant amount of the day at the pool)

What Actually Happened:
It’s close to 8 by time we get out of bed this morning. Following our routine, we have breakfast from the Concierge Club.

After breakfast, I stop at the concierge desk to pick up the tickets for tonight’s Hoop De Doo show. I ask if there are lockers available at the pool. I seem to recall there are but can’t remember. I’m assured there are lockers available and when I ask if there’s a charge, the concierge cast member says he doesn’t know. He picks up the phone, calls someone, and tells me the lockers are complimentary to resort guests (which turns out to be the wrong answer). We head to the pool. Lockers require four quarters ($1.00) and we didn’t bring any money, let alone change with us. Gene returns to the room to get quarters. We select a locker and insert the quarters. The quarters are gobbled up but the key won’t release. Lifeguards are around but not officially on duty yet. I stop a lifeguard who happens to walk by. He’s unable to help and tells me it’s his first day on the job but he’ll find someone who can help me. A few minutes later, a manager I had seen earlier comes by to tell me that Chris, another lifeguard, has all the keys and he’ll be by to help me. Chris finally arrives. I tell him my story. He opens the box where the money resides. My four quarters are the only contents. He tries them in the locker. Apparently the locker is defective. We select another locker. This one works. Chris says he doesn’t know why they would have told me the lockers are complementary but he says they are for me today and he returns my four quarters to me.

We enjoy our time poolside. At one point, we see a bride and groom posing for pictures in the courtyard.

Mid-day, we return upstairs for showers and to dress. I still have half a turkey sandwich in the fridge from last night’s room service. We head down to Roarin Forks and buy a roast beef sandwich along with some chips. Combined with the rest of the turkey sandwich, a couple of beers we had saved from last night’s concierge offerings and chocolate chip cookies from current Club offerings, we have a very satisfactory lunch.

Heading to the bus stop, we wait about 15 minutes for a bus to Downtown Disney. First, though, we swing through the Grand Floridian. Since no-one is at the bus stop there, the driver barely applies her brakes before we continue on our way. Along the way, I see a deer along the side of the road. We browse through a few shops and make a couple of purchases but not many. As we enter World of Disney, a cast member asks if I would like some pixie dust. Sure! I’m told to close my eyes and make a wish. While doing so, I receive a sprinkling of pixie dust!

We do not visit the West Side or enter the Pleasure Island area. The Pleasure Island bus stop is not currently in use and they have begun using the West side bus stop instead.

When we return to the Downtown Disney bus stop, we have a 10-15 minute wait for a Wilderness Lodge bus. From there, we head first to Typhoon Lagoon and then to the West Side bus stop. Here, we get a change of drivers. Apparently, they did not communicate with each other as the driver needs to ask the passengers if the bus has already made the Typhoon Lagoon stop. Assured, we had already been there, we head directly to Wilderness Lodge.

Back at Wilderness Lodge, we get a drink at the poolside bar. We sit at a table behind the bar area and adjacent to the gurgling creek. We relax and watch an egret that has landed just beside us in the creek as well as geckos darting around. It’s warm and sunny and there’s a very nice breeze. Paradise, indeed!

We head back to our room and put our footsies up for a bit. I know I dozed off once or twice. I tried to sit out on the patio but, with the way it’s constructed, none of the very nice breeze we experienced by the pool, can filter through our balcony area leaving the area far too hot to be able to enjoy.

When it’s time, we head down to the marina and take the boat over to Fort Willy. We haven’t been here for a while even though this was our very fist Disney World “home”.

The lawn-mower tree, or at least what’s left of it, is almost as pitiful as the remnants of River Country. The Settlement Trading Post doesn’t seem to carry as much merchandise as it used to. With the exception of a tire cover (http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/38370/2322092490104031159S600x600Q85.jpg), I can locate nothing that would be exclusive to Ford Wilderness. Times change though they are not always improved!

We head to the porch of Pioneer Hall and settle into rockers – one of my most favorite places in the World especially in the days when Fort Wilderness served as “home”. Feeling nostalgic, I call our daughter to tell her where we are. As I’m calling her, I realize that, when we stayed here, making such a call would have been impossible. Cell phones were not an everyday reality. Times change though the jury is out on whether this is an improvement to life or not – I think cell phones fall on both sides of the fence – but – I digress.

The air is warm but not stifling. I’m in a happy place!

With all the wind and rain that Florida has been experiencing, Disney seems to be having a hard time keeping up with mosquito population. We’re both getting bit and end up needing to move inside to the lounge.

Promptly at 8:30 p.m., we head out of doors and locate, Lori, our driver and Drummer (http://inlinethumb63.webshots.com/43134/2583331830104031159S600x600Q85.jpg), the twelve year Clydesdale who will pull our carriage. Fortunately, there’s mosquito repellant in the carriage as it was really needed this evening. During our ride, we see deer. We have a most enjoyable ride and learn that our driver spent a number of years working with both horses and individuals with special needs.

When we return to Pioneer Hall, we check in for the 9:30 p.m. Hoop De Doo show. Where are all the people? It doesn’t appear there are that many folks waiting to enter the show.

Our table is located front and center – literally touching the stage! We get lots of attention and interaction with the actors on stage! Great seats! Terrific show! But, as I suspected, it was not a sell-out and no-one is seated on the second floor.

When we exited at 11:15 p.m., buses are lined up and waiting for everyone. There were only a few people on the Wilderness Lodge bus and we were back at our resort within 15 minutes of the end of the show.

Today was a mixture of sun and clouds. We saw dark, threatening clouds a couple of times and even went through a brief shower on our boat trip from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness.

Gustav is not as bad as they thought he would be. We’re still waiting for Hanna to decide where’s she’s gong and now there’s Ike and Josephine to follow her up.

We take quick showers and head to bed. Lights out at midnight.

KylesMom
09-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Back at Wilderness Lodge, we get a drink at the poolside bar. We sit at a table behind the bar area and adjacent to the gurgling creek. We relax and watch an egret that has landed just beside us in the creek as well as geckos darting around. It’s warm and sunny and there’s a very nice breeze. Paradise, indeed!
I love the place you're describing, Linda! Thanks for taking me back there. :cloud9:

Sounds like a good day all around. I hope tomorrow is as fabulous as this one! :mickey:

Beach Club Babe
09-23-2008, 10:04 AM
What a nice, relaxing day! Sounds like you really enjoyed yourselves!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your reports:mickey:

yjgirl32
09-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Very Very good report. Hoop-de-do-review is one that we might try. Thamks for sharing.

tinkerbell04
09-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Sounds like a great day! Glad to hear that you enjoyed HDDR.

Lizzie
09-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the report sounds like a nice relaxing day.

DizNee143
09-23-2008, 12:15 PM
sounds like a great day of just lounging around and slowly doing things..my kinda day!! lol :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
09-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Linda, I got a little misty eyed reading about your call to your daughter, sitting on the porch that you likely walked on with the little girl version of her many times. I am sure a lot of very sweet memories surfaced for you in that rocker. Thanks for another great report. :mickey:

Momof2boys
09-23-2008, 03:39 PM
What a wonderfully descriptive report, Linda ! I closed my eyes and pictured myself at that poolside bar. Love the WL !

pdrlkr
09-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Mackflava99
09-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Nice report-
I am glad you got the locker situation settled:)

laward32
09-23-2008, 06:55 PM
A nice slow and peaceful day. Thanks for the great details.:mickey:

RedSoxFan
09-23-2008, 09:03 PM
A nice relaxful day.:mickey:

MauiMouse
09-23-2008, 10:05 PM
When we exited at 11:15 p.m., buses are lined up and waiting for everyone. There were only a few people on the Wilderness Lodge bus and we were back at our resort within 15 minutes of the end of the show.

Is this new Linda? We had to go to Downtown Disney to transfer to Wilderness Lodge, but granted I did Hoop Dee Doo back in 2003.

Sounds like a very nice relaxing day today. :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
09-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Aaaah. What a great day. Sounds like we had the same table at Hoop de doo a few years back..front and center, touching the stage! Cool, right? Thanks for sharing another glorious day!

faline
09-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Is this new Linda? We had to go to Downtown Disney to transfer to Wilderness Lodge, but granted I did Hoop Dee Doo back in 2003.

I don't know. I've occasionally heard reports from folks who've said buses were waiting for them when they exited so we'd thought we'd look and there they all were!

princessgirls
09-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Linda,

What a great day. We always try to make good memories with our kids, and believe or it not it does matter.

How nice for you to have a moment and recall your fun family memories.

I agree with you on the cellphone issue, I don't think I'm that important to be on it a whole lot, but I am a mother and I can always be reached which is important to me.
Thanks for the report.
Julie:mickey:

iheartmickey
09-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Sounds like a wonderful relaxing day. We really have to try Hoop Dee Do ... sounds like fun.

Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup: