PDA

View Full Version : DDP, DDE or both

Dopeysgal
09-23-2008, 12:57 AM
My fiance and I are passholders. We are going to be at WDW from 10/19-10/24 this year and were thinking of doing the the dining plan. We looked at how we usually eat and it does avg to one snack, one CS and TS per day.

Do you think the DDP is worth it?
I've also heard of the DDE. Is it worth combining? How does that work? Do we both need it? We will probably not be going back within a year. This is our second trip on our AP and we're not sure we're going to be able to afford to go back within the year so we probably won't renew our AP.

DizneyRox
09-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Personally, I'd pass on the DDP. I have never found value in it, and with the changes to eliminate the tip, it's even less of a value. We've had great luck with the DDE however.

I wouldn't suggest doing both. With the DDE, you'll get your savings fairly quick (even a couple TS meals can pay off the card), but if you're going to rely on 20% of drinks and apps to get you any savings, it'll be tough (unless you're big drinkers).

Only going for 5 days though I see... It might just be a wash on the DDE as well. Depends on what your plans are for eating.

For us, we do a snack type breakfast, and then a bigger late lunch. Seldom will we do three squares a day, especially down in Florida. The heat of the summer usually keeps our appetite down. A big day for us would be a character meal in the AM and a TS for dinner. We don't do much CS...

So, work the numbers with your dining reservations, see which works out. I think if you run them, you might find just going OOP is a decent deal.

KylesMom
09-23-2008, 09:33 AM
While I can't comment on the DDP since we've never participated, I can tell you that for a family of three we usually break even with the DDE after the second or third day. BUT your savings is based on where you're eating, what you're eating and if cocktails are involved. For instance, we saved $33.38 at LeCellier and $26.14 at Mama Melrose which paid for membership, then saved an additional $200 over the course of our vacation. I think you need to evaluate where your ADRs are, and whether or not you can do better than "break even" for the $60 you're paying for the card for the timeframe you're there. Also, the DDE is accepted at value resort food courts, but is not valid at any resort CS location where there is also a TS restaurant on property. I see you're staying at POP so you could use the card at the food court.

Only one of you will need the card - you can pick it up at any guest relations window at the park entrances (proof of A/P required).

I would add that I agree with DisneyRox - I think both would be overkill for the short amount of time you're going this trip.

DDuck66
09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
I think that both would definatly be overkill...also keep in mind how many buffets you eat at. With the DDE, tip is automatically added in at 18%. While some buffet servers are worth more than 18%, we found that 18% is a lot for someone to bring me a juice. Since you have a short trip, I would seriously consider going OOP. Also remember with your AP's that you can get discounts on lunch at several eateries during the week. (10% off M-F).