PDA

View Full Version : I need a new cell phone...suggestions?

BrerGnat
09-22-2008, 11:32 PM
My carrier is AT&T.

I just need a PHONE. I don't need a camera, PDA, email access, streaming video, mp3 player, etc.

What I want is a good PHONE, with good CALL QUALITY, good RECEPTION, SOUND, and GOOD BLUETOOTH.

The reason I need a new phone is because I have a dinosaur of a phone. Although it's old, I love it. It's an old LG phone that isn't even a camera phone (I know, right!), but it has never once dropped a call, gets wonderful reception all the time, has great sound quality, etc. The one thing it doesn't have is bluetooth OR a speakerphone, and it recently became law in CA that you cannot use a cell phone while driving unless you use it "hands free". So, I need a phone that has bluetooth capabilities and voice activiated dialing/answering and all that jazz. I am in my car pretty much all day, and now that my son is back in school, I need to be able to answer the phone in case the school calls me while I'm out driving.

Does anyone have a phone that they LOVE, that works all the time, that's reliable and doesn't drop calls?

Last year, I upgraded my phone to a Sony Ericsson w810i walkman phone, mainly for the mp3 player, and although I loved the phone for all it's cool features, it NEVER worked well as a phone. It drops every call within a few seconds, no matter where I am. It even happened when I went to WDW. It wasn't the network either, since I was able to take the SIM card out of that phone and put it back into my old LG phone and have had no problems since then. I now use that Sony Ericsson phone as my mp3 player. :rolleyes:

DizneyRox
09-23-2008, 07:37 AM
I was goin g to suggest my w580i, but you seem soured on Sony (I don't blame you). I don't have any trouble with dropped calls, the bluetooth is great, and battery life is awesome.

Sorry, I have no other suggestions. Finding a phone without all the gadgets is tough these days.

NotaGeek
09-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Motorola Phones were always great for me.

SurferStitch
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Sorry...I'm an iPhone junkie.....

I don't even know what a regular phone is anymore.

I used to have Motorolas....they were always pretty good.

DisneyDog
09-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I recently upgraded to an iphone. However, right up until that I had a Motorola Razor. I absolutely loved it. Very reliable, great battery life, great reception. Not a bad camera in it, either, but that's not why I bought it. Oh, pretty decent speakerphone too. I loved its size and that it fit right in my pocket. I highly recommend it.

BrerGnat
09-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I recently upgraded to an iphone. However, right up until that I had a Motorola Razor. I absolutely loved it. Very reliable, great battery life, great reception. Not a bad camera in it, either, but that's not why I bought it. Oh, pretty decent speakerphone too. I loved its size and that it fit right in my pocket. I highly recommend it.

I've been looking at the Razors. Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like they are good phones. I may sell my Sony Ericsson on Ebay and then use the Razor as my mp3 player as well.

PirateLover
09-23-2008, 05:52 PM
I've been looking at the Razors. Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like they are good phones. I may sell my Sony Ericsson on Ebay and then use the Razor as my mp3 player as well.

The new version of the razor may be better, but I have to say that I had some of my most frustrating experiences with my razor phone and 3 replacements. My cousin and brother had similar problems as mine-dropping calls, screen freezing/going white, shutting itself off. Honestly the only brand of phone I never had an issue with was Nokia. But I haven't had a nokia phone in close to 7 years. My LG worked fine until I spilled water on it, but my fiance has an LG that is a bit cheaper, and I guess it's true sometimes you get what you pay for because his acts up all the time. Sometimes I think it's just luck of the draw...

conorsmom2000
09-23-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm another one that had nothing but issues with the Razor - it just wasn't a good phone for me at all. Lately we've had great luck with Samsung - Mike has the Sync (which I also used to have) and now I have the Blackjack II - the only issue I've ever had is with email, but I think that is more of an AT&T problem. I even dropped by Blackjack in a puddle, where it was fully submerged and soaked, and after drying it out for a few days, it was perfectly fine. That was about 6 months ago and I haven't had any issues.

BrerGnat
09-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! I am DEFINITELY going to pay close attention to my call quality within the first 30 days and if it is not flawless, I am going to exchange the phone until I find one that I am happy with. This is where I slipped up with the Sony Ericsson...I allowed that 30 day window to go by, and I just assumed the phone would "get better". That was foolish.

I have heard good things about Samsung phones as well, and the folks at the AT&T store said Nokias have good call quality.

It seems to be so varied these days. I wish the manufacturers could just focus FIRST on the PHONE aspect of cell phones, and make that work flawlessly, and then add on all the extra stuff. :-o

DisneyDog
09-24-2008, 06:21 PM
I had an original razor a few years back. I did have a lot of trouble with it. Then I got some Samsung thing that was awful. I went through 3replacements. I got so frustrated that I told them just give me a new razor. And that one was great. They must have made major improvements in it during the time I had the Samsung.

I don't like Nokia's because I find them notoriously difficult to use. I think the razors are very easy and intuitive to figure out.

BrerGnat
09-24-2008, 08:07 PM
I am looking at the new Razr2 V9. It is supposed to be the "best Razor yet", according to CNET's editor's review, in terms of call quality and they have apparently worked all the bugs out of the older versions of the Razors, so I am hopeful that it's a good phone.

DH had a Razor (first generation) for work a couple years ago, and it was an excellent phone for calls. He never made use of any of the other features, so just based on call quality, he said it was excellent.

Jeff
09-24-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't know about any others but I love my Razor. 2 years old, works great and fits great in my pocket. Never had a problem with it.