PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii with young children?

BrerGnat
09-22-2008, 09:52 PM
So, I'm itching to go to Hawaii. Not anytime soon, but in the next year or two.

We will be leaving the west coast sometime in 2010 (around the summertime, probably).

I'd like to take a trip to Hawaii before we do that, since we'll be going to the EAST coast, and we'll be there for awhile, so a Hawaii trip will be off the table for a considerable amount of time after that.

Our kids will be 4 and almost 6. Is there enough to do in Hawaii for kids those ages? Where would be the best island to go to with activities geared towards those ages?

Or, should DH and I just try to go alone, and leave the kids behind with family, and perhaps go back to Hawaii as a family when they are older?

Opinions? Feedback from anyone who has taken young kids is appreciated!

lawgirl
09-22-2008, 11:01 PM
My sister lives on Oahu, and we've visited Kauai 3 times; she's been to Lanai and Mauai and big Island.

I think Oahu is probably the most family friendly...there are alot of nice beaches, restaurants, shopping, hotels geared towards families.

Kauai is really an outdoor lover's dream...there is alot of great hiking and back to nature stuff...a little secluded, not as many hotels to choose from. My personal favorite-very romantic if you lke to hike and be outdoors with nature.

The trip could really go either way. Oahu and Kauai (as well as the other islands) can be very family-friendly, but also very very romantic. I would almost say leave the kids at home for now, and take a romantic vacay...a few days on Oahu, a few days on Kauai. Take the kids when they are a little older.

I can recommend the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu, and the Kauai Hilton...we've stayed at both and loved everything about them.

I love Hawaii...its beautiful and the people truly try to live with aloha daily.

BrerGnat
09-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your feedback! I'm very inclined to leave the kids home. ;)

I almost just want to do a short trip, just like 4 or 5 nights on Kauai. We're not big into nature, but we're also not big into doing "stuff" on vacation. We like to just be somewhere nice, and not do ANYTHING. Kauai sounds like just the place for that. If we leave the kids home, we'd probably be able to go next year. DH and I need a vacation. He's been gone to Iraq since February. He's still not home. I'm just dreamin'. :cloud9:

nls721
09-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Leave the kiddos at home and go alone w/ DH. Stay at the Hale Koa in Waikiki. It is a military only resort. Super cheap and one of the nicest resorts. But, I am probably a little partial because we got married there ;)

TheDuckRocks
09-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Leave the kiddos at home and go alone w/ DH. Stay at the Hale Koa in Waikiki. It is a military only resort. Super cheap and one of the nicest resorts. But, I am probably a little partial because we got married there ;)

I agree completely! The Hale Koa is absolutely beautiful and the rooms are very nice. We lived in Hawaii for 13 years and during that time my daughter met and married a member of the Army. After his addition to the family we had many opportunities to visit and use the Hale Koa Resort. It is as nice as any of the large Hawaiian resorts for less than half of the price. They have great restaurants, luaus, brunches and other entertainment and a tour desk that you can get reservations for any outing that you can want, all at greatly reduced prices. You can visit Oahu and have a completely laid back relaxing trip if that is what you want. Many a day I spent my time laying on a lounge by the pool drinking Mai Tais.

Dakota Rose
10-02-2008, 10:13 PM
If you decide to take the kids, rest assured that Hawai'i can be a very family-friendly destination. All of my favorite childhood vacation memories are in Hawai'i. Playing on the beach, swimming in the pool, watching hula shows, oh yes thats the stuff of my childhood dreams. Most of our friends back in CA take their kids (same age as yours and younger) to Hawai'i and have a wonderful time.

I think Maui is a better choice for a family vacation than Kaua'i because it has more swimmable, sandy beaches. Kaua'i's beaches are gorgeous but depending on the time of year, many of them are unswimmable because of high tides and rough surf. Plus Maui has more tourist activities and family-friendly things going on than Kaua'i. Not that Kaua'i doesn't, it's just a smaller, less touristy island.

Either way, kids no kids, check out the books by Andrew Doherty and Wizard Publications. You can find their website on google. They are by far the BEST planning guides for Hawai'i.

sndral
11-01-2008, 05:18 PM
If you want privacy but also quality time with the kids rent a condo for a week on Maui and take the kids. I've rented 2 bdrm places in Maui and Kauai, both were great. Maui had more available condo/price wise. We could hang on the beach in front of the place, take a sightseeing/swimming/picnic drive, a snorkle boat or, my favorite, a helicopter ride. Cook in the kitchen and eat on the balcony, grill down by the pool, walk to a restuarant or drive to a luai.

andreallybadeggs
11-01-2008, 09:43 PM
You can't go wrong either way. Our experiences on Oahu and Kauai range from our very romantic and private honeymoon to our still pretty romantic but not quite as private trip many years later with 3 kids and the grandparents. We loved both trips. Second time there two of our kids were old enough to be left alone at the pool for awhile; the third was not but she loved the children's activities at our resort so we had the best of both worlds. Fun family activities + some away from the kids time as well.
Have a memorable trip, whatever you decide.
Thanks to your family for your service to our country!