PDA

View Full Version : We toured the new contemporary rooms!

LilBugsMa
09-21-2008, 10:06 AM
They were beautiful...

I thought that the highlights were:

A nice balcony that, like OKW, links the living area to the master bedroom area
A big kitchen table (something I miss at Saratoga)
What seemed to be oversize furnishings (they looked so comfy)
2 full baths in a one bedroom unit

What I didn't like:

The kitchen was turned sideways and closed in - so, when I cook (and, I do), I'd be separated from the family
It felt smaller than the other resorts (due to the kitchen layout)

We bought more points - but at AKL. When we toured that room, I loved it, plus the incentives were sooo good!! I really thought that I was going to be set on BLT and buy that when it came out - I had never even considered AKL.

MinnieMommie
09-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the description. What do you think of the color scheme (it looks bright) and what made you decide on AK rather than BLT? :mickey:

LilBugsMa
09-21-2008, 10:33 AM
The colors were pretty, I thought, and not overly bright. There were some bright accents, but nothing overdone.

The final decisions on AKL were:
- incentives worked out that it was really a great deal.
- we liked the idea of the kids being able to look at the Savannah (Kidani is 75% Savannah view)
- I really liked the room
- I wasn't blown away by the contemporary room (and I expected to be).
- the "water play area" for the kids at AKL

We drive most of the time, so don't find that it is as important to us to be on the monorail as it could be. Also, from the discussion we had with our guide, we think that we will be able to book contemporary at 7 months. Since I don't think I'd want to stay there every trip - it wasn't worth the extra money to buy it.

MinnieMommie
09-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Thank you much Mel for sharing your insights. This has been helpful. I will be at DW in 2 weeks and plan to tour BLT with DH. We own at SSR and are considering an additional investment at BLT. Can't wait to see the finished product!! :mickey:

Ed
09-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Where are the sample rooms? :confused:

Maleficent's Dad
09-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Where are the sample rooms? :confused:
Ed,
I have not seen any sample rooms, but I did read that the models are at SSR, just like the AKLV rooms.

Anyone able to confirm this?

DVC Mike
09-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Both the BLT and AKV model rooms are at the DVC Sales Center at SSR.

Maleficent's Dad
09-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Both the BLT and AKV model rooms are at the DVC Sales Center at SSR.
Thanks, Mike! :thumbsup:

Ed
09-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks, guys. I now know where I'm going on one of my days off this week. :thumbsup:

Ian
09-21-2008, 08:23 PM
We toured them, as well, and we really liked them. I actually have a few pictures that I'll see if I can upload at some point.

We liked them so much, we bought. Proud owners of 200 brand spankin' new points at BLT.

tomatoe pie
09-22-2008, 11:01 AM
could not resist. :yes: we now have a home at blt also. i still hate the name but that will not prevent the enjoyment of the dvc.

Ed
09-26-2008, 07:08 PM
We had seen a lot of artist's concept drawings and the like, and were generally unimpressed. So, today we stopped by the preview center and toured the model rooms.

Our opinion has changed. :thumbsup:

We very definitely like the layout and decor, and the kitchens and bathrooms are quite nice. The only real negative we found was the fact that in studios, there is no vanity sink in the bathroom; it's on the other side of the wall, and shares space with the kitchenette. A little awkward, but not all that drastic.

We're still undecided whether we want to buy into BLT or continue saving our pennies until the new resort in Hawaii goes on sale.

:cool:

Ian
09-26-2008, 08:00 PM
I wonder, Ed, if buying points in Hawaii will be as necessary as it will be at BLT?

By that I mean ... I don't know that the 11 month vs. 7 month window in Hawaii will be nearly as big an issue as it will be for BLT.

Thoughts?

Ian
09-26-2008, 08:09 PM
One kinda cool thing I forgot to mention ... since we're among the first 1,000 families to buy a BLT contract, we'll get our names engraved on a special waterfall being erected near the swimming pool.

I thought that was pretty neat! :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
The colors were pretty, I thought, and not overly bright. There were some bright accents, but nothing overdone.

The final decisions on AKL were:
- incentives worked out that it was really a great deal.
- we liked the idea of the kids being able to look at the Savannah (Kidani is 75% Savannah view)
- I really liked the room
- I wasn't blown away by the contemporary room (and I expected to be).
- the "water play area" for the kids at AKL

We drive most of the time, so don't find that it is as important to us to be on the monorail as it could be. Also, from the discussion we had with our guide, we think that we will be able to book contemporary at 7 months. Since I don't think I'd want to stay there every trip - it wasn't worth the extra money to buy it.

What is the current incentive deal at AKV??

Ian
09-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Also, from the discussion we had with our guide, we think that we will be able to book contemporary at 7 months.I'm kinda curious what your guide said that would lead you to believe this? Because, I mean ... to me that's just ludicrous. You can very rarely book at BCV, BWV, or VWL at the 7 month window ... why would anyone think you'll be able to book at the 7 month window at the property that's about to, almost inarguably, become the most popular spot in the parks? :confused:

I don't want to bad-mouth your guide or anything, but I don't think that's true at all. I think BLT will be the hardest spot to get in if you don't own.

What is the current incentive deal at AKV??Last time I checked it was $8 per point, I think.

DVC Mike
09-27-2008, 09:30 AM
to me that's just ludicrous. You can very rarely book at BCV, BWV, or VWL at the 7 month window ... why would anyone think you'll be able to book at the 7 month window at the property that's about to, almost inarguably, become the most popular spot in the parks?

I don't want to bad-mouth your guide or anything, but I don't think that's true at all. I think BLT will be the hardest spot to get in if you don't own.

In terms of size of the WDW DVC resorts:

1. SSR - 828 rooms
2. OKW - 531 rooms
3. AKV - 458 rooms
4. BWV - 383 rooms
5. BLT - 295 rooms
6. BCV - 208 rooms
7. VWV - 136 rooms

The top three will be relatively easy to book at the 7-mo window, while the bottom four may be challenging depending upon the time of year and (in the case of BWV and BLT) the view you want.

Like BCV, BLT isn't one of the larger resorts, and also like BCV, you can walk to a theme park.

BLT will be difficult to book at the 7-mo mark, but it won't be impossible.

Ian
09-27-2008, 09:42 AM
It's not just walking to a theme park, it's walking to the theme park.

MK is the most popular of the four parks by a long shot. I think you may be underestimating the appeal of being able to not only walk to MK but also to watch the fireworks nightly from your own balcony (with the music piped in on your T.V.).

btw, pics are below:

Ed
09-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Speaking of TVs, I also noticed that with the flat-panel TVs, they also have a box near the DVD player that allows you to hook up your camera or other electronics via either RCA-type plugs or USB... nice touch!

LilBugsMa
09-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Ian,

I agree with you, and so did our guide, that if you want a Magic Kingdom view, you had better own at BLT to get it. The guide felt, and I agree, that once the first few years are up (the initial rush of people wanting to try the new resort), that if you are OK with the "standard" view, that you will be able to book at the 7 month mark. With our preferred vacation time being Mid January, I think it will work for us.

But....even if I can't, I wouldn't be heartbroken. That's part of why we ended up adding points at Kidani. Now, if they start talking DVC at the Poly or at the Grand Floridian - I'll make sure I have enough points at that resort to book whatever view I want at the 11 month window! :D

Ian
09-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Okay, if you stay in January then yeah ... you'll most likely be okay.

DVC Mike
09-28-2008, 08:54 AM
if you want a Magic Kingdom view, you had better own at BLT to get it. The guide felt, and I agree, that once the first few years are up (the initial rush of people wanting to try the new resort), that if you are OK with the "standard" view, that you will be able to book at the 7 month mark.

I agree. Non-owners will be able to get a Lake View at BLT at the 7-mo window after the initial rush of excitement is over. BLT will be similar to BCV or BWV in terms of booking difficulty for non-owners - difficult but not impossible.

MinnieMommie
09-28-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm kinda curious what your guide said that would lead you to believe this? Because, I mean ... to me that's just ludicrous. You can very rarely book at BCV, BWV, or VWL at the 7 month window ... why would anyone think you'll be able to book at the 7 month window at the property that's about to, almost inarguably, become the most popular spot in the parks? :confused:

Ian: In just over a week DH and I will tour and meet with our guide and I will be curious to learn what her take will be as far as needing to own in order to be able to stay and also what the access might look like if trying to book at the 7 mth window. I agree that you just may need to own at BLT to get a MK view but not so sure you can't get someting else at the 7 mth window.

We have been lucky to get BCV at the 7 mth window. Granted it has not been during the most popular months but we have on more than one occasion stayed there booking at the 7 mth window. There are less rooms at BCV than at BLT so I am thinking that maybe we might be able to make this work. I think the time of year you want to stay is a key piece of information if you want to stay booking at the 7mth window.

We will talk to our guide and hear what you all have to say and take it from there. Right now I am leaning towards purchasing at least some points at BLT but we'll see. Thanks for all your thoughts about this. The discussion is helpful. :mickey:

MinnieMommie
10-02-2008, 11:50 PM
OK - we spoke to our guide. A few things:

1. The mock up at SSR will show all room options except the 3 bedroom.
2. BLT owners will be able to book for Sept '09 beginning March 1 '09.
3. DVC members (non BLT owners) will be able to book for Sept '09 beginning March 15 '09.
4. 70% of the rooms at BLT have lake views.
5. Our guide suspects that DVC owners who are non BLT owners should be able to book at the 7 mth window depending on the time of year, room location and how "on top" of things they are.
:mickey: