PDA

View Full Version : Johnson taking trip to 'Tomorrowland'?

Melanie
09-21-2008, 03:42 AM
From Variety.com:

Johnson takes trip to 'Tomorrowland'

Segment of Disneyland gets 'Pirates' treatment

By MICHAEL FLEMING

After turning the theme park ride "Pirates of the Caribbean" into a blockbuster film trilogy, Disney is circling an entire segment of its theme park — Tomorrowland — as inspiration for a space movie that will star Dwayne Johnson.

The studio has set scribes Jon Lucas and Scott Moore to draft an epic-sized action adventure set in space. The film is being designed as a vehicle for Johnson, who starred for the studio in family hit "The Game Plan" and most recently completed "Race to Witch Mountain."

Disney denies the film has been titled "Tomorrowland" or is dedicated to the park’s section, a futuristic area of the Magic Kingdom that includes such attractions as Space Mountain. The studio called the nascent project an original script.

The film would be produced by Mayhem Pictures partners Mark Ciardi and Gordon Gray, who produced "The Game Plan."

The scribes most recently wrote the upcoming Matthew McConaughey-Jennifer Garner starrer "The Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" from New Line, as well as comedy "The Hangover," which Todd Phillips will direct for Warner Bros.

Scar
09-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Disney is circling an entire segment of its theme park — Tomorrowland — as inspiration for a space movie that will star Dwayne Johnson.

... an epic-sized action adventure set in space.

Disney denies the film has been titled "Tomorrowland" or is dedicated to the park’s section, ...I hope Disney's denials are true. A movie based on the entire Tomorrowland would be stupid.

And is he not calling himself "The Rock" anymore?

Disneyfun
09-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Oooooh, I smell direct to DVD like profits on this one!!!! Does anyone think it will be better than Zathura?
:thedolls::D

TheRustyScupper
09-21-2008, 01:50 PM
. . . A movie based on the entire Tomorrowland would be stupid . . .

I don't know, the possibilities could be
. . . drive to launch complex in an Indy car
. . . prepare for trip by reviewing history at the Carousel
. . . take the TTA to the launch pad
. . . blast off via Space Mountain
. . . get caught in space by Stitch
. . . escape in an Astro Orbiter
. . . be in a gun fight aided by Buzz
. . . be saved by Sonny Eclipse
. . . celebrate with celebs at the Galaxy Stage
. . . afterward, party with the Monsters

Hey, it could happen!

JPL
09-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Considering it's becoming a sci-fi version of Fantasyland I can't see how this would work at all.

Figaro
09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I dunno... I myself could come up with a pretty interesting, but good movie from stuff I've seen in Tomorrowland. They might be using it as a base for some ideas and evolving it into more. When you have a "notepad" to work from, it helps to evolve some wild, but cool ideas. Mr Johnson has also gone by Dwayne Johnson for a while now, I think probably since his acting career began to kick in. Dwayne Johnson is a really nice guy, though. I met him once since he used to, and still could, go to a small VERY good Italian restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale that was a few hundred feet from my house. On topic thought, I look forward to seeing how this comes together...

BrerSchultzy
09-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I won't pass any kind of judgment until after this comes out...or at least until the script and some details come out.

After all, I remember someone saying that the new Pixar movie "was about a trash compactor that couldn't talk"...

Some storytellers can spin gold from things that only ever looked like hay...maybe this will be the same. Or maybe it'll be Country Bears. Who knows?

Either way, I'm intrigued.

KylesMom
09-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Ooof, this one hurts.

And is he not calling himself "The Rock" anymore?
Nope - the name "The Rock" is a WWE property, although he was allowed to use it longer than many that have left the over-the-top business of Vince McMahon's professional wrestling circuit. When I read the original post, I was left scratching my head for a few moments, trying to figure out who Dwayne Johnson was!