PDA

View Full Version : Help with dining!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
09-20-2008, 01:42 PM
So DD and I are headed back in Dec for a week. Very excited. We went ahead and booked the dining plan with our AP discount to give some of the table service meals a try all while not spending too much more than we already would be eating just CS each day.

This is where I am a bit lost... We have NEVER done ANY of the TS... ever... not even just me (well, when I was younger we would go to Cinderella's Castle and eat when you were able to walk up the same day and get a lunch reservation...miss those days!)...

So far I have Akershus for lunch, Ohana's for dinner, Chef Mickey's for a very early breakfast (7am...goodness help me... especially when Ohana's is the night before at 8:55... good thing Emmy is an early riser and loves to stay up late!), and LTT for dinner.

What else should I try for as I have 2 more TS credits to use? Here is a list of what I wanted but wasn't available or am thinkin of tryin to get. I'm wondering if I should keep trying for them (or try for them at all):

~Garden Grill for dinner
~1900s Park Faire for breakfast
~want a Fantasmic Package... I ain't holdin out much hope on that one (Mama Melrose's or H&V)
~50's Prime Time Cafe (the husband of a woman I used to work with is a waiter here and she says it is great and a lot of fun...)
~CRT (IF I can even get in, is it worth the 2 TS credits I'd have to use? Esp since we are doing Askerhus...)

I need encouragement cause I am freakin out that I am not booking stuff she and I both will enjoy...

disney100%
09-20-2008, 03:04 PM
If you are looking for breakfast, I would recommend the Cape May Character Breakfast over at the Beach Club. We love it! After we eat we either walk right into EPCOT or take the boat to Disney's Hollywood Studios. The character interaction has been great and the service some of the best we have had anywhere. Of course, using a table service credit for breakfast may not make the best of your money.

If you want a dinner show (this would use 2 TS credits), I would recommend the Hoop Dee Doo. We always make that our last event at Disney. We have been every trip and my brother was even picked for the show (many trips ago). It is a nice boat ride from the Magic Kingdom.

Though we haven't eaten there yet, we are trying out Crystal Palace this time around because of all the great reviews it gets.

Good luck with your planning!

EpcotFan182
09-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Though we haven't eaten there yet, we are trying out Crystal Palace this time around because of all the great reviews it gets.

I'll just be going off on a rant here haha...

I've eaten at the Crystal Palace many times and it's GREAT! It a buffet - the food is excellent. I've only been there for dinner and it features Winnie the Pooh characters.

I also liked Tony's Town Square Restaurant right at the entrance of MK. The food there is great as well

50's Prime Time is fun, but you kind of have to go along with the whole atmosphere. Like, if the waiter doesn't see that you ate your veggies he'll give you a hard time and tell you "Mom" is going to be mad if you don't have at least a forkfull haha.

I thought the Garden Grill was pretty good. Another character meal - the food is served family style. It will come in a large skillet which the CMs will always refill.

In the world showcase, my favorites are San Angel Inn and Biergarten. Both have really good food. Biergarten is buffet-style as well and also has entertainment.

These are a few of my favorites - I'm sure you'll get some more suggestions :mickey:

Going2HeavenRU
09-21-2008, 02:30 PM
We ate at the Garden Grill last Saturday night. It was really good. You can have as much as you want. The desert is incredible! The characters were fun too. Mickey looks great in his farmer outfit.

bertasso59
09-21-2008, 02:43 PM
We just got back yesterday after a week.We had the DDP .Our favorite two TS were Tutto Italia,good food and even better service.And our favorite was at our resort;Coronado Springs.Breakfast is a simple buffet and they dont serve lunch but I do seuggest making the trip there for dinner.The food and service are both wonderful.I had filet mignon with a piece of fish that had an unbelieveable sauce.
We had lunch at Prime Time,and it really depends on your waiter/ess as to how into it they are.Our one dissapointment was at The Chefs de France.This is more for the wine lover,but food and service were not our favorite.Avoid seafood if you do eat here,the French do tend to undercook fish.Planet Hollywood in Downtown Disney was a lot of fun for us movie fans with good food and service.The movie memorbillia was great.
Consider having desserts wrapped up and saving it for a quick breakfast the next morning.Have a great trip!

SBETigg
09-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Grand Floridian Cafe is very nice for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and usually easy to book on short notice. No characters, but good food. I also like Rose & Crown, Marrakesh, Chefs de France, San Angel Inn, Teppan Edo, Boma, and if you want to try a 2 TS signature dining, California Grill is an amazing experience. Spoodles is also one to consider, at the Boardwalk between Epcot and DHS.

Best wishes with getting what you want. Do keep trying, but book a back-up TS in case.

sndral
09-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Hoop dee doo - was there for the first time 9/10 late show and we all loved it - mom age 74 and son and his gf early 20s. The boatride to get there is nice and relaxing, the food is good and the show is just fun. Hoop dee doo :cowgirl:(and Ohanas:lei:) will be must dos on future trips, definately worth the 2 ts ea.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
09-21-2008, 04:17 PM
I should also mention that DD is going to be a month shy of 4 when we go this round... I am trying to make sure she is "entertained" by either atmosphere, outside, characters, something, since it is just the 2 of us going and well, she's 3.

HoosierDisneyFan
09-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Of the Resturants you have listed I would pick

Mama Melrose's & 50's Prime Time:chef:

Thought both are in Disney Studios which may give you scheduling issues.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
09-28-2008, 04:21 PM
ok, so a few things have changed...

Now we are doing:
Ohana's for our first night dinner
LTT for dinner
Akershus for lunch
1900s Park Faire for dinner
50s Prime Time for a very late lunch (I used to work with the wife of a waiter here, and we requested him, so I thought it'd be fun).
Chef Mickey's for dinner
Ohana's breakfast (I dunno if this is right or not, tho I clarified since it is for 11:15a and they don't do lunch... but the times listed say breakfast ends at 11???) for our departure day.

Ok...issues I am having:
Not completely sold on dinner at Ohana's--I've never done ANY table service meals at Disney, but traveling with an almost 4 year old, I am nervous that she won't enjoy it, and that is my main motivation in picking the places I do for meals this trip--any input in this would be extremely helpful!!!. I really want her to have fun, but I want good food as well. And is this a good first night meal?

Also, I'm still trying for Garden Grille and Fantasmic dining for either Mama Melrose's or Hollywood and Vine. I will dump Ohana's dinner in favor of one of these... I have been calling everyday for these two.

Also, I don't really want to eat breakfast (esp that late) the last day we are going to be there. I have no idea why. Maybe somethin for lunch. Any suggestions?

SBETigg
09-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Dinner at 'Ohana is probably the number one meal for family fun and good food, great atmosphere, enjoyed by kids and adults alike. I wouldn't dump it for the others, which are good but far inferior experiences to dinner at 'Ohana for me. You should really enjoy it! Especially the four-year-old. There are songs and games. Kids usually love 'Ohana. No characters at dinner, but so much going on.

Lunch at Grand Floridian Cafe might be good for your last day. We always enjoy it there.

thumperbug
09-28-2008, 07:49 PM
We did Ohanas for breakfast on our last trip with my DS who was turning 6 at the time. He loved it. He loved the characters and the food. They bring it to you family style with eggs, bacon, waffles, etc and keep refilling it.

My son is very very active and has a hard time sitting thru any meal but he is generally very good at character meals. He gets distracted looking for them...getting his autograph book ready....Your DD will love it.

SHe will also enjoy Chef Mickeys