09-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Date: Saturday, August 30, 2008

Plan for the Day:
Epcot
Biergarten for Lunch
Big River Grille & Brewing Works for Dinner

Mileage: 5.14 miles

What Actually Happened:
Today dawns hot, very humid, and sunny. It’s already 80 degrees and it’s not even 7 a.m. yet. Gustav is now a category 3 hurricane and is heading into the gulf. Hanna is getting strong but her exact path is still unknown.

We rise and again have breakfast from the Old Faithful Club (http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/21276/2493410340104031159S600x600Q85.jpg). A small bagel and cream cheese, Danish, fruit and a latte for me. Gene has a decaf coffee along with a bowl of cereal, Danish, and mini muffins. We each bring a glass of juice back to the room with us while we finish getting ready for the day.

Despite the sunny start, it’s mostly cloudy and looking rather threatening when we arrive at the Epcot bus stop. Within five minutes, we’ve seen buses for just about every possible destination (including Downtown Disney) except for Epcot. A few more buses and 20 minutes of wait time and we’re on board an Epcot bus. The sun is now shining once again.

Entry into the park is quick. I expect there will be a long line for Spaceship Earth but we’re able to walk right on. We’re also able to walk right on Test Track and directly into Ellen’s Energy Adventure. It’s raining as we exit – steady but not torrential. Still we raise our umbrellas while we walk to our next destination.

The green side of Mission Space that we selected is a walk-on though the orange side posts a 10 minute standby line. Once we’ve successfully completed our mission to Mars, we wander through both sides of Innoventions.

We tour Mouse Gears but purchase only an Epcot magnet. At Living Seas, we successfully locate Nemo. While waiting to enter the Crush show, a ray seems to be trying to escape the pool. It repeatedly tries to climb the wall above the water level. While watching the ray’s antics, another couple mistakenly believes a little girl of around 3 is with us. The little girl has obviously had a visit with a Fairy Godmother in training at the Bippity Boutique so the other couple asks us about the cost of this. When I realize their assumption, I state the child is not ours and she says she thought the child might be our grandchild. I’m not sure if they were embarrassed by the mistake or simply thought we were odd for venturing into Crush unaccompanied by a toddler! In any case, Crush was amusing as always!
The manatees were particularly playful and active today. Every other time, I’ve seen them, they’re rather sedately munching away on lettuce. Today, they’re rushing around the pool using their fins to propel them more quickly by sticking them into the sand at the bottom of the pool and pushing. Quite fun to watch!

As we start our walk to the Germany pavilion, it begins to rain again and it’s time to raise those umbrellas again. This will only be the second time we’ve ever been to Biergarten (http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/41316/2585905190104031159S600x600Q85.jpg)and the first was a number of years ago.

Once we’ve checked in, we’re handed beepers. While we’re waiting in this comfortably dry location, we can see that the rain outside has now turned torrential! It is certainly coming down!

When our beeper notifies us that our table is ready, we’re seated with an adult family of six – none of whom acknowledges us until one young woman says goodbye as they’re leaving. Oh well.

The food is okay but certainly not something I would put on my list of favorites. I thought the pork selections, including the freshly sliced pork, was rather dry. The show was good but it is very short. Overall, is was a pleasant experience but does not deserve rave reviews.

Following our lunch, we head to the Land. The rainy weather is continuing but it is not pouring as it was earlier. I assume Soarin’s standby will be quite long but figure we might be able to get on Living with the Land. As we head toward that pavilion in the drizzle, we hear the unmistakable rumble of thunder. Not many people are around as we walk along. As we enter the Land, it appears we’ve found where all the guests have gathered. This pavilion is mobbed! Living with the Land lists a 5 minute standby time but one look at that line is all that is needed to know that the standby time needs some drastic updating! We’ll save this for another day and decide to head home.

Once again, a bus is at our stop when we arrive and we have a quick and easy trip back to Wilderness Lodge.

I’m still moving at an easy pace and don’t have as much stamina as I generally do. Also, it’s pouring rain at 4:30. We scrap plans to head to Boardwalk and the Big River Brewing Company for dinner. I know. Let’s stay in tonight!

We decide to see what the Concierge Club will offer for dinner tonight. Pulled pork sandwiches. That’ll do! Along with wine for me and beer for Gene, we’re quite contented with our decision to stay “home”.

I watch the fireworks from our balcony once again but Gene is already sleeping by time they start.

Momof2boys
09-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Sometimes a change of plans is needed - sounds like you made the right decision to stay in.

pdrlkr
09-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Lizzie
09-20-2008, 10:24 PM
I always have a hard time changing meal plans on the trip but sometimes you just need to stay in.

tinkerbell04
09-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Sounds like you had a great night! We are not fans of the Biergarten either. Thanks for sharing.

RedSoxFan
09-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Despite the rain, sounds like you had a great day.

ChipnDaleGal
09-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I think that staying at Concierge Level is agreeing with the two of you. I am so glad that that you are having such a good trip so far Linda.:mickey:

laward32
09-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks for sharing. That rain can really mess up a good thing.:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
09-21-2008, 05:20 PM
We've done that before! Changed our ADR's for San Angel after a hectic day..and decided to stay "home" in the Poly lounge for their offerings. It sure feels wonderful to do that, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing!

DizNee143
09-22-2008, 09:23 AM
sounds like a pretty good day..well except for the rain..its nice having a night in sometimes!! :mickey:

Beach Club Babe
09-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Sounds like a great day, minus the rain. You still managed to have a lovely evening despite the change in plans!

KylesMom
09-22-2008, 12:08 PM
I can honestly say that we've never seen the manatees do more than eat or float - how fun to see them in action!

I think it's harder to tour Epcot in the rain than any of the other parks. Glad you had the Biergarten to while some of the downpour time away - but it's a shame that the table interaction was non-existent.

Funny, we too cancelled one of our ADRs on the boardwalk when the weather was less than stellar this past July. I think that watching Wishes from your balcony was a much better way to spend the evening instead of dripping wet! Thanks for sharing another great day with us!:mickey:

MauiMouse
09-22-2008, 06:52 PM
I agree about cancelling those ADRs tonight. Sounds like you had a good dinner at WL Conceirge.

Too funny about Biergarten and the family saying goodbye.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-23-2008, 10:20 AM
it seems the bus you need is always the last to arrive:) Thanks for the reports

princessgirls
09-27-2008, 02:14 PM
A great day Linda.

Thanks for sharing.

The dinner sounds nice and cozy to me.

Julie:mickey:

iheartmickey
09-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Sounds like you made the best of a rainy day. I like the offerings you're getting at the concierge club .... really makes it worth while to stay there.

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: