PDA

View Full Version : Refillable Mugs

Donald Duck 001
09-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Here is a thought. I have seen post about people wondering if they can bring there old mugs and reuse them on there up coming trip.

My question is, has anyone tried to use them and had a diseny person tell them they couldnt use that mug. OR possibly, have the cups taken from them.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten caught and if there are any consiquences.

caryrae
09-19-2008, 10:04 PM
It does say rights on the mugs, at least the older ones not sure about the current YOAMD mugs, that they are only good at the Resort where purchased and for length of stay only.

This is what my mug from POP in 2006 says "Refillable only at location purchased, free refills until the end of your stay"

Then there are the even older mugs that you can refill forever at the Resort it was purchased.

henry.james.s
09-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Why is it someone always wants to get away with something.
The policy is well known so why not play by the rules.

BIGDOG
09-19-2008, 10:25 PM
The cast members at the resort food courts could care less about mugs. I saw kids and adults filling up the green beach buckets from kids meals with soda my last trip and no one said anything to them. I was sitting there thinking about how wired that kid was going to be later that night. I bought my son a refillable mug inside magic kingdom from the ice cream stand by the mini race car ride. He wanted it because it had Pirates all over it, he used that as his mug for our stay and no one said anything. The mug refill cost them less a penny so I dont think they mind seeing your buying a 9.00 burger. Drink all you want your on vacation!!!!!

sardanem
09-19-2008, 11:10 PM
When we were in POP a few weeks ago, we saw people using mugs from years ago, mugs from different hotels or anything that acually would hold liquid.

Lisa

jonahbear2006
09-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Personally, I don't like the new refillable mugs. I was very disappointed in them. They are so insulated that if you put any ice in there at all, it is like a 4oz drink. I realize that most people would have to buy drinks their entire trip but I just can't see it being a benefit unless you are spending a lot of time at the resorts. We bought the Halloween one just for having the novelty item to bring home and I hate it. It isn't even good for water cause it doesn't hold enough. It is like a child's drink, imho.

mouseketeer mom
09-20-2008, 08:15 AM
The rules are well known, but at the Poly last month, we saw people refilling all kinds of old mugs and not a peep was said to them.

1EeyoreFan
09-20-2008, 08:31 AM
I was wondering if the resorts are offering refillable resort specific cups now or they still the standard YOMD print? We have 3 of those now and I was hoping for something different when we go in Oct. Thanks!

jonsmom
09-20-2008, 10:04 AM
I really don't think the rules are well known. We purchased a mug from POR 5 years ago and the cast member who rang us out told us they were good to use on every future visit.

Besides if people don't know about Intercot and the many discussions regarding this topic, they wouldnt know either.

jonahbear2006
09-20-2008, 11:56 AM
they are all YOMD mugs, however, if you buy one inside of the park, you will get a Halloween mug with the characters on it; same mug.

minnie1956
09-20-2008, 09:45 PM
And the subject is rehashed to death even here.
Because everybody feels they need to save money on their vacation somehow this is how they'll do it. The fact that the drinks cost only a couple pennies is irrelevant. The employees are NOT going to challenge anyone. I've seen the way customers behave every day, their is NO way one of these workers is going to challenge someone who can become irritated and feeling "harrassed" will insist on seeing a manager about the employees behavior. I've witnessed popcorn buckets being filled!!! I understand and will follow the guidelines.:soapbox:
I can live with my conscience and the example I'm setting for my daughter. Off my soapbox.

3AMommy
09-20-2008, 10:40 PM
I can live with my conscience and the example I'm setting for my daughter. Off my soapbox.

:ditto::ditto::ditto:

We saw people filling up all kinds of cups when we were there. Fine for them, but I can't justify it when my son asks if it is allowed.

I was amazed at the things parents encourage their children to do at WDW. I saw cutting in line, shoving, complaining...

Hello people...Happiest Place on Earth=Wonderful family memories=don't sweat the small stuff!:D

Seasonscraps
09-21-2008, 12:42 PM
There are guests that will bring back the cup back and no cast member will challenge them. A 1 cent cup of soda is not worth having a guest pitch a fit and risk having the guest go over their head.

The cost of the soda a penny.
The cost of a refillable mug $12.
The value of a happy guest, priceless.

I would think the BIG sign by the cups and beverage dispensers indicating that the mugs are for length of stay actully means - don't bring your mugs back next year. There's also the printing on the cups that say the same thing. But apparently that's not clear enough.

I think things like this will always be a source of frustration between the guests that follow the rules and the ones that dont.

MinnieMommie
09-21-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't want to get into whether people should or should not use mugs from previous trips for drinks or not. I will say though that we purchase new mugs each year.

That being said, our mugs from 2007 and 2008 are identical except "2007" is written on the front of the mug under the characters on that year's mug. My guess is that when I visit DW again in October (2008) the refillable mugs will be identical to the one's we purchased in June (2008). However, on both the 2007 and 2008 mugs it says (along side of the handle in case anyone is interrested):

"Free refills available at our resort Beverage Islands until the end of the stay in which the mug was purchased"

For what it's worth! :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Management obviously is aware of the cheaters, but as long as most people are honest and play by the rules they will accept the theft (which is what it is) as a cost of doing business.

As several posters have pointed out, it is a shame that parents choose WDW as the place to teach their children that it is OK to steal.

Back when the change was made from the "good forever" to "good for duration of this stay" mugs there was plenty of room for discussion. Unless you are still using one of the old mugs there really is no ambiguity in the rules.

The cost of a couple mugs is a drop in the bucket compared to the entire cost of a WDW trip.
The cost of a clear conscience is ...PRICELESS

pink
09-21-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't think anything will be said to you unless you're old cup is obvious and there is a manager standing right next to the soda machine. I've never seen anything said to anyone. Everytime we are in the food court it's always so busy that people don't even notice what cup you're using.

:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-21-2008, 04:42 PM
My DH and I were joking around one day that we're too honest, and that we should just bring our old POFQ mugs back with us (this is when the resorts had their own mug, and they were the same year after year). We were never really considering it, but DD put us right in our place "NO MOMMY, the rule is that you have to buy a new one, so we HAVE to buy a new one".

Is $12.99 worth teaching your children it is OK to lie and break the rules, even if Disney doesn't seem to care? I don't think so :mickey:

Donald Duck 001
09-23-2008, 01:26 PM
First I must say, that my laptop was down a few days and I wasnt able to keep track of this post.

With that said, I must say that this post totally went off the topic that I was addressing. I buy my mugs every time that I go down. I even have purchased the Deluxe Dinning for my up coming trip which has the mugs included. I am no way cheap or am trying to cheat the system as my conscious wont allow me to do so.

There have been a ton of questions asked about using the refillable mugs again on up coming visits addressing the very thing that I was so mistaken for, trying to save a few bucks. All I was trying to do, was try to find out if ANYONE TRIED TO USE THE MUGS AND DISNEY CAUGHT THEM, AND IF DISNEY SAID ANYTHING TO THEM.

I thought that it might be interesting for a change to hear about this but apparently I was wrong. All I did was open an opportunity for people to accuse me of trying to cheat the system and to voice there opinions at those who do so.:mad:

ElenitaB
09-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I thought that it might be interesting for a change to hear about this but apparently I was wrong. All I did was open an opportunity for people to accuse me of trying to cheat the system and to voice there opinions at those who do so.:mad:
Honestly, I don't think anyone here is accusing you of trying to cheat the system... however, since this is not the first time this touchy subject has been brought up, this thread has touches of all the previous conversations that have been had about it.

That said, I think this topic has been thoroughly discussed for now!

KatMark
09-23-2008, 10:13 PM
they are all YOMD mugs, however, if you buy one inside of the park, you will get a Halloween mug with the characters on it; same mug.

Actually, the mug is different at the Coronado. They do not have the YOMD mugs, they have the Pepper Market Mugs.

cmshelton1979
09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
The only issue I have is, if you are staying at multiple resorts during your stay, I do not think you should have to purchase a different mug for each resort.

I stayed 5 nights at WL and 1 night at the Coronado, to buy another mug would of been nuts.

wendy*darling
09-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Oops... :secret:
We believed we closed this thread a couple days back.
The more recent responses are fine, but the topic has still run its course, so I am officially closing the thread now.