PDA

View Full Version : Does Wishing Help? Maybe. I Hope So.

Goes4FastPass
09-19-2008, 11:29 AM
When you wish upon a star...

I once took a 5yo to the MK and when we approached Splash Mountain she wished to be tall enough to ride. We queued up and the CM with the stick measured her carefully and determined she was just barely barely tall enough to ride.

We proceeded through the queue area when she stopped and turned to her mother and I, took us each by the hand and said urgently, "Wish it won't be scary!". She didn't mean, "I hope it isn't scary." We were so focused on was she tall enough we forgot to wonder if she wanted to ride sure looks intimidating from the street Splash Mountain. No, what she meant was, if we all held hands and wished together we could make it not be scary.

It was a great MK moment for us. We wished. We rode. Twice...and skipped away singing Zipadee Doo Dah.

On this discussion board it seems I often see posts like, "Here are my ADRs, will they be great?" or " We're going to WDW the week between Christmas and New Years. Will it really be crowded?" or "Talk me into POFQ"

When people post topics like are they asking for bare facts or they asking us to, "Wish my vacation will be great!"

If it's the latter, Jiminy Cricket and I are always ready to wish along with you.

(if it's the former, my answers are, you'll like some places more than others, of course, and, you've already booked it so stop wishing you could afford the GF and start looking forward to your vacation)

Hayden's Dad
09-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Well said!!!!! :thumbsup:

I really belive in the power of Wishing especially first star of the night.

So here is mine "I wish that Hayden's Make A Wish trip is the most magical yet!"

Thank you for the Magic!!!

Disney Doll
09-19-2008, 01:04 PM
What a cute story! Thanks for sharing.

laward32
09-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Great story. I wish every trip for everyone to WDW is magical and great.:tink: for everyone.:mickey:

Imagineer1981
09-22-2008, 10:44 AM
cute!

IloveDisney71
09-22-2008, 07:17 PM
That is such a great story. I'm a firm believer in wishes- just look at the quote in my signature!

mickey&missy
09-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Very, very well said! Thanks for sharing!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-23-2008, 09:03 AM
That's a great story

Wickster1970
09-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Just remember....NEVER stop believing. There is magic everywhere and wishes sometimes do come true.

DVC_dad
09-24-2008, 10:01 AM
To the OP: Great Post!!!

I think that wishing does work.

PLEASE read this guys. I consider it one of my pearls if you get my drift...

About 3 years ago, my wife, myself, and my at that time 5 kids (we now have 7) were in line to see the Toy Story characters over there behind Muppets so to speak, you know they are always there more or less.

It was a hot day, and my kids were eager to see Buzz and Woody, and Jessie. The line was kind of long, the other kids were equally eager to get their turn. We had waited for about 15 minutes, which in the sun and later in the day, seems like a long time. As we stood there, a couple of my kids began to whine and say "when is it going to be our turn?" We don't allow whinnig and I was about to correct them when the line moved a bit. I then proceeded to offer them the usual speech of taking turns, being polite, and always waiting patiently. We were now second in line. A minute or two more and we were the next ones up to see the characters, take pictures, get autographs...etc.

My then 3 year old was particularly excited as Toy Story was his favorite movie.

Just when it was our turn, and my 3 year old was like a racehorse in the starting gate..............a group of kids arrived with a couple of CM's and they broke right up in the front of the line and seized onto Woody, Buzz, and Jessie. My 3 year old was dumbfounded.

I was too actually, until I noticed one of the CM's wearing a special blue type of frock I had never seen, and the half a dozen kids (half of them bald, or very little hair) wearing tee shirts that said, "Make A Wish Foundation".

Now, you talk about being torn. I knew instantly that these kids, unlike my own kids, were living on a very small amount of borrowed time. It made sense that they go to the front of the line, as this would probably be their only visit with Buzz, Woody, and Jessie before they go on to meet Uncle Walt on the other side.

Still, my 3 year old could not understand and he began to cry. I was so torn as to what to do. On the one hand we were totally fine with the Make A Wish kids going to the front, but how to explain this to my 3 year old?

We waited and I talked to him, reassured him, and finally our turn came. The character escourt asked me which of the characters was the favorite of my 3 year old and I quickly said Woody. She took my 3 year old and Woody aside a bit and allowed a little bit of extra one on one time between the two of them.

I cannot tell you how grateful I was to them, how torn I was and how at a loss I was on how to handle the situation before the CM knew just what to do.

After our turn, we went off to the side and regrouped. I explained to my children what the Make A Wish was all about, and why it made good sense for us to let them go ahead of us. I discussed how fortunate we were that we COULD stand in the regular line and how blessed we were that we could get more chances to come see our favorite characters and heroes at WDW. It was a good lesson but I think that I learned the most of anyone.

I cannot for the life of me imagine being the parent who has to deal with having a child with failing health. I selfishly pray that I never know the termoil, frustration, anger, and loss that one must feel going through such a tragic situation as a parent.

So if you guys see any Make A Wish groups, please be sure to consider the bigger picture and think of the cause that is greater than your own self interests, even if your kids cannot.