PDA

View Full Version : Baby Swap tips

rookie
09-19-2008, 07:38 AM
How do you manage to do a baby swap when the baby is a 2-3 year old. I can see the whole family going up to splash mountain and then mom or dad staying with the toddler while big brother/sister head off with the other parent. No meltdown potential there, right?

Logic and rules don't always make sense to a 2 year old. What strategies does everyone have to keep peace in the family?

mdhiggin
09-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Actually, there is a play area right by Splash Mountain specifically for toddlers. I forgot what it's called, and I don't see it on the map, but it's there, and it's name has something to do with the Brer Rabbit stories from the Splash Mountain ride. There is a slide and a little house-like structure for them to crawl through. My toddler goes to this every time the others ride Splash and loves it. The exit line goes right by it, so they can stop by and pick you up or swap and leave the toddler to play with other parent. A lot of the other rides have stores at the end of them, so you could always just browse around while waiting also.

dolphinmickey9170
09-19-2008, 09:55 AM
We take DGD into the shop of the ride she can't go on and let her look around. On occasion, she has purchased an item that is relavant to that ride. Just a small, inexpensive item, so don't go broke. A magnet or something of the sort.

Actually, there is a play area right by Splash Mountain specifically for toddlers. I forgot what it's called, and I don't see it on the map, but it's there, and it's name has something to do with the Brer Rabbit stories from the Splash Mountain ride. There is a slide and a little house-like structure for them to crawl through. My toddler goes to this every time the others ride Splash and loves it. The exit line goes right by it, so they can stop by and pick you up or swap and leave the toddler to play with other parent. A lot of the other rides have stores at the end of them, so you could always just browse around while waiting also.

After all these years, I have never noticed this area. Where is it exactly? Do you go down the steps or is closer to the store? Help?

jonahbear2006
09-19-2008, 10:30 AM
its right by the splash mountain exit. If you follow the entrance to splash mountain around to the right there is a play area that will keep everyone happy. It is a good chance to sit down and let baby take his/her shoes off and play for a bit. We never have any problems with switch baby. When we go to TOT and RnRC and things of the sort, we wait till the kids are exhausted and the boys sleep in their stroller while we ride our rides. It is a good time for a nap. It is also a good time to devote to mickey ice cream bars or frozen lemonade. Those desserts take a lot of time to eat and require clean up. It is good to do that while you are switching rides. Another thing you can do if you have cell phones is ride something else while waiting. When my husband and I take turns on space mountain we both take turns taking the kids to Buzz.

Disney Doll
09-19-2008, 01:12 PM
When we took our nieces ages 3 and 4 we split up a lot for rides. Sometimes the littlest one and I would get a snack to share while we waited like a frozen lemonade or I would let her pick out something special in the shops. Sometimes we would just ride something else. We rode triceratop spin about 4 times while the older kid went on Dinosaur. The kids always seemed to think it was fair and we always knew ahead of time which rides were off limits for the little one thus avoiding any disappointments.

kemps@wdw
09-21-2008, 12:11 PM
More than 1 person can stay w/the little one. When we used this option, we were allowed to take 2 others /us when the 2nd parent went on the attraction. So the youngin didn't seem to miss the one as much when there were more people staying w/him.:mickey:

irish1967
09-22-2008, 08:26 AM
We usually just scheduled the "baby swap" attractions for the time that our little one would be napping anyway. He loved (still does actually) the monorail, so either DH or I would take him on a "monorail ride" on the way back to the resort for a nap and the other parent would take the older child on the rides.

tys_mommy
09-22-2008, 10:55 AM
We alternate rides, one child swap ride and then a family ride or 2 before doing another child swap ride. I also keep little toys or books in the diaper bag that I pull out while we wait or fruit snacks work well also.

teambricker04
09-22-2008, 12:21 PM
We pretty much do all of the above, depending on our day. Also, my kids are almost always hungry for something so sometimes we plan a snack around it to divert their attention and then we have snacks for the others waiting for them when they get off. Generally it works.

DVC_dad
09-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Interesting OP.

With 7 kids we have no problems with t his. The younger tots just know they cant ride everything. If a fit is pitched, we make a restroom trip. You only have to make the restroom trip one time, maaaaybe twice. Voila, no problem. It sounds mean and almost socially unacceptable, but in the long run it is actually easier for parents and kids.

We do everything with our seven kids that we would do just the two of us more or less. We ALLWAYS get comments in public on how well behaved our children are. Don't get me wrong, they aren't perfect and neither are we as parents. But most of the time they are happy, well adjusted, polite children, especially in public. They know what is expected of them and afterall, almost every place we all go, has a restroom. Kidding! Well sort of. But bottom line, with seven kids, we have no problem saying "no" and our younger tots just know that "going off" about it will not pay off for them so for the most part it isn't an issue.

I know, we're mean. ;)

Belster
09-24-2008, 10:05 PM
I would agree with pp, I explain in advance that each child may not be able to ride all of the rides. We have never have a problem. The kids just need to know that after the more adult ride you will go on something or do something of their choice.