PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Lodge v. Polynesian

ewasilau
09-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi,

New trip planner here - it's our first family trip to Disney and I just received great feedback about when to go. Now to where . . . .

My kids, who by trip time will be almost 5, 2 1/2 and almost 1, LOVE animals. I got started looking at AKL and fell in love. I love the theme, playground, pool, etc. and the price for a deluxe in the value season. A friend recommended the Polynesian for ease of access with a stroller to the monorail. However, it's $100 more per night and I'm not as excited about the theme, though the kids would love the beach. Do young kids love Poly? Would a definite hit with the kids (AKL) be worth the hassle of a bus to all the parks? (We'd like to save money by using Magical Express and not having a car, and eating just a few table service meals - maybe 3 dinners and a character meal or 2)

Anyone have thoughts on the choice? (By the way, we are thinking of 5 nights in late Jan./early Feb.)

Also - a couple specific ques on AKL - are the savannah view rooms worth the extra? Anyone take advantage of the "animal programs" it says are offered at AKL on the website? Is the AKL pool heated?

THANKS!!

Keneva
09-18-2008, 11:49 PM
My kids are stroller bound DS3 & DD6 and having the Poly monorail allowed us to do a lot more with a lot less hassle. It was well worth the extra price when going to MK and Epcot. You wheel the strollers right on & off with no hassle and MK/Epcot are literally minutes away. We did Chef Mickey at the CR and took the monorail there as well. We did wait for a bus to get to HS and it was the worst day of our 5 day trip. Twenty minutes standing in line with our antsy DS3 smelling bus fumes was not a good way to start the day. We took our car to the AK the next day and it was much better. My kids loved the Poly but I'm not sure if you will get much pool time in Jan/Feb & they don't let you swim in the water at the beach but there is lots of other kids stuff to do:mickey:. I've never been to the WL but I've heard the atmosphere is terrific.

Keneva
09-18-2008, 11:57 PM
My kids are stroller bound DS3 & DD6 and having the Poly monorail allowed us to do a lot more with a lot less hassle. It was well worth the extra price when going to MK and Epcot. You wheel the strollers right on & off with no hassle and MK/Epcot are literally minutes away. We did Chef Mickey at the CR and took the monorail there as well. We did wait for a bus to get to HS and it was the worst day of our 5 day trip. Twenty minutes standing in line with our antsy DS3 smelling bus fumes was not a good way to start the day. We took our car to the AK the next day and it was much better. My kids loved the Poly but I'm not sure if you will get much pool time in Jan/Feb & they don't let you swim in the water at the beach but there is lots of other kids stuff to do:mickey:. I've never been to the WL but I've heard the atmosphere is terrific.

SBETigg
09-19-2008, 07:38 AM
You're going to have an incredible vacation staying at either resort, so it's all good. But I do think the Poly is well worth the extra. The transportation options do save you hassle. As much as the kids might enjoy the AKL, I think they would absolutely love the Polynesian. Seeing the castle from the pool and beach adds extra magic. It's almost like you never really leave the MK, except for the lush, relaxing surroundings of the Poly. You see little ones with pails and shovels on the beach all day long. I've heard kids screaming to have to leave the beach to go to parks. It's a fantastic environment for little ones.

But that doesn't mean the AKL will not be amazing, too. If saving that money means you can do more on your trip or you think the kids will like the AKL that much more, by all means stick with it. My 17-year-old son likes AKL better in theming and with the animals. However, he says he would never give up the added convenience of staying on the monorail line (and near the TTC) to stay there. And that's considering we still have to bus to DHS, AK, and other locations. Most of our vacation time is spent at Epcot, the MK, and our resort and the Poly makes it easy to enjoy all three with ease.

tink'72
09-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Hi,

Also - a couple specific ques on AKL - are the savannah view rooms worth the extra? Anyone take advantage of the "animal programs" it says are offered at AKL on the website? Is the AKL pool heated?

THANKS!!

First off :welcome: to intercot!You will love it here! I've never stayed at the Poly , we've only visited and had dinner and though we do love the atmosphere at the Poly our absolute favorite is AKL. The first time we went my kids were 1,5,8. I didn't find the bus a hassle at all.
As for AKL Yes it's worth it for the savannah view. It's amazing. I know my kids loved it! I'm not too sure if the pool is heated but it is a fantastic pool area...

BigRedDad
09-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Any of the deluxe resorts are going to be enjoyable. If I were going to AKL, I would only stay on a Savanah view, after all , this is a the purpose of AKL. This way you can watch the animals from your balcony and it is endless entertainment for the kids while taking a break or getting ready. As for the Poly, it is the most convenient resort for getting around. You have boats for MK, you have monorails for MK and Epcot. Is it worth $100 more per night, I do not know. I only have 1 child and the bus is not that big of a hassle. When you get down to it, 90+% of people on property take the bus to/from their resorts. It can't be all that bad or people wouldn't be using it.

scootch713
09-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Even with loving animals, the monorail convenience at the Poly just is tops with small kids. My vote is Poly.. they have a great pool too, one of those zero depth ones you walk in.

Spaceship Tigger
09-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Having stayed at both resorts, if I had a concern about the cost I would probably stick with the AKL. I loved the Poly and the monorail was very convenient, but $100+ a night is still a lot of money. The Poly has the beach which is great for the kids but doesn't have a playground or the animals like the AKL.

As far as the AKL itself is concerned, we were glad that we didn't pay extra for the savannah view rooms. You can see the animals from any window or lookout in the resort. Much of the week that we stayed at the AKL there were not many animals near us to watch.

Aurora
09-19-2008, 09:43 AM
There are four things you didn't mention in your post that would help me in my response --
1. Are you traveling alone with your kids?
2. Are your kids fairly active or are they more calm types?
3. Will you be traveling back to the resort for nap/rest time?
4. Will you spend most of your time at the Magic Kingdom?

The Poly is my favorite resort at WDW, and it is No. 1 in convenience to the parks, especially the Magic Kingdom. If you will be traveling alone or going back to the resort for naps (which I highly recommend because of the ages of your kids), the Poly is tops.

But if you choose AKL, you won't be disappointed in that resort either. It's absolutely beautiful, with great views, and with your kids being animal fans it would be an unforgettable vacation.

The buses are not bad. Yes, that is your only transportation option, but all in all they run pretty smoothly.

There is another resort option that you didn't mention, so maybe you've already nixed it -- the Wilderness Lodge. Price is similar to AKL, and it's much closer to MK (no monorail, but boat to MK and easy access to monorail).

tikiman
09-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Two of my favorite resorts. The Polynesian wins out for me out of the two for a few reasons but both are great. I have split my stay a few times with both resorts. I think with the money savings and the kids liking animals I would suggest the AKL but let me throw out some things to you that will let you decide.

The AKL has a great theme, some of the best food on property and the animals to view. My issues with the AKL are its isolation from other resorts and not much to do at the resort itself. I have spent whole days at both resorts and I got quite bored at the AKL after about half the day. At the Polynesian I found much more to do and if I ran out of things I could monorail to the GF or Contemporary for even more to do. Just like the resorts over near Epcot you can walk to other resorts and not feel like you are stuck at just your resort. The rooms are much smaller at the AKL but I don’t think with your group it will be a huge issue. I do believe you would greatly benefit from the use of the Polynesian transportation when going off to the parks. You can monorail or use the large ferry if you don’t want to fold up a stroller and you have the bus and the small boat to the MK (that you will have to fold up the stroller).

The kids club at the Polynesian is one of the most popular at WDW and there are many activities going on all day around the Polynesian. At night you have the camp fires on the beach and the Electrical Water Pageant just before fireworks. Our son has been twice now and he is 3. His favorite Disney memory out of everything he has seen is the fireworks from the beach every night. He also has so much fun at ‘Ohana but you could eat there even if you stay at the AKL.

Now with the dates you are planning I would say the AKL wins out. I did not enjoy the Polynesian as much in the colder months. Actually I did not enjoy WDW as much being all bundled up but that is another story. Also in February they usually close the pool for rehab since it is a slow time for its use.

I would say that if you are going to stay AKL get a savannah view room. If you do decide to do the Polynesian than a garden view room would be fine since garden view category has views of the pools, monorail, garden areas, lagoon and even some with a sideways view of the castle and fireworks. There are a very small handful of rooms that face a parking lot but than the AKL rooms face the parking lot also.

Hope this helps.

Aloha

Steve

yjgirl32
09-19-2008, 10:26 AM
I haven't stayed at either one- but if I could vote it would be AKL- I too am an animal lover and my DS5 is too. That is our dream to stay at one day. I heard from friends that have stayed at both that their child liked the AKL better just because of the animals. Good luck with your decision.

ewasilau
09-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks so much for all of the great input so far. It's a really tough decision. From the feedback, I'm gaining confidence in the buses if we decide on AKL. I do see the added benefit of staying near other resorts/places to eat though. If the animals were near our room/near the resort at all during our stay I just think the kids would just go nuts though. Especially seeing that my will-be-almost 5 year old's daughter's favorite animal is the giraffe!

Here are my answers to one poster's thoughtful questions:

There are four things you didn't mention in your post that would help me in my response --
1. Are you traveling alone with your kids?
2. Are your kids fairly active or are they more calm types?
3. Will you be traveling back to the resort for nap/rest time?
4. Will you spend most of your time at the Magic Kingdom?

1. no - husband is coming and likely mother-in-law too (MIL might be for only part of trip)
2. they are relatively calm with crazy moments
3. we think we'll be traveling back to the resort for naps/rest on some days, maybe not all - will depend on park hours and what we are doing that evening - we're going to bring a stroller that reclines for napping for the younger 2 and that worked for us at Sesame Place (we can't do that for 4-5 days though!)
4. with 4 full days, our tentative plan is 2 MK, 1 AK and 1 HS. If we go somewhere on arrival day, that may change our plan. Also, we're still deciding on whether to add PH, right now, we're inclined not to

Thanks for all the input. One more specific ques - at least one poster mentioned liking the food at AKL - will we be fine eating dinner there say, 3 out of 5 nights? I'm thinking that if we do return to nap/rest, on days we venture back out we may want to eat dinner elsewhere, then return to AKL. (by the way, if it matters, my kids are very adventurous eaters)

Thanks again!

Polynesian Dweller
09-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Obviously we are Poly lovers but there are a lot of reasons for that after looking at other hotels. The biggest issue with AKL is where its located. If you look at a resort map you'll find that it not only is far from MK, EPCOT and DHS, but is actually removed from AK itself. The point is, you have to be prepared to travel some distance to get to 3 of the parks and a little bit to AK.

As others have said, the Polynesian has the most transportation options in WDW and that can make a big difference at those 'cranky' times when you are trying to get the little one's back. Then add in the MK view, beach, fireworks every night and the Electric Water Pageant, there is a lot going on.

ewasilau
09-19-2008, 11:29 AM
oh - two more things

(1) we did consider Wilderness Lodge (it was the 3rd of our final top 3!) but nixed it b/c it didn't have either of our favorite things about the other two - beach/monorail at Poly and animals at AKL. Plus, it reminds us slightly of Great Wolf Lodge, which we love, but thus think it won't be as unique an experience for the kids.

(2) anyone use the kids' club at AKL? I think my daughter (who will be old enough) would love it

GrmGrninGost
09-19-2008, 12:42 PM
No doubt Poly would be my choice. It is much more convenient, not just to MK DHS and Epcot, but to the Contemporary and Grand Floridian as well.
Outside of AK it seems to take an eternity to get anywhere from AKL. However, if you're looking to save some dollars, it is considerably less expensive than Poly. It is also very beautiful. I'm sure either way you will have a great time! :mickey:

SBETigg
09-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Wow, not planning to see Epcot at all? If staying at AKL enables you to add a day or two to the trip, I would try that. You're going to wish you had more time. Of course, there's always a return trip. You're definitely going to want to come back soon. :mickey:

tikiman
09-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks so much for all of the great input so far. It's a really tough decision. From the feedback, I'm gaining confidence in the buses if we decide on AKL. I do see the added benefit of staying near other resorts/places to eat though. If the animals were near our room/near the resort at all during our stay I just think the kids would just go nuts though. Especially seeing that my will-be-almost 5 year old's daughter's favorite animal is the giraffe!

Here are my answers to one poster's thoughtful questions:

1. no - husband is coming and likely mother-in-law too (MIL might be for only part of trip)
2. they are relatively calm with crazy moments
3. we think we'll be traveling back to the resort for naps/rest on some days, maybe not all - will depend on park hours and what we are doing that evening - we're going to bring a stroller that reclines for napping for the younger 2 and that worked for us at Sesame Place (we can't do that for 4-5 days though!)
4. with 4 full days, our tentative plan is 2 MK, 1 AK and 1 HS. If we go somewhere on arrival day, that may change our plan. Also, we're still deciding on whether to add PH, right now, we're inclined not to

Thanks for all the input. One more specific ques - at least one poster mentioned liking the food at AKL - will we be fine eating dinner there say, 3 out of 5 nights? I'm thinking that if we do return to nap/rest, on days we venture back out we may want to eat dinner elsewhere, then return to AKL. (by the way, if it matters, my kids are very adventurous eaters)

Thanks again!

Fitting 3 adults and two kids in a standard room at the AKL will not work. The standard sleeps 4 and the standard room at the Polynesian sleeps 5. Also if getting back to the resort for naps would be easy from the AK to the AKL but from other parks might take much longer than if you were at the Polynesian. There are 3 ways from the MK back to the Polynesian and the monorail from Epcot takes 8 minutes from station to station.

I do love the food at the AKL but I love the food options at the Polynesian as much if not more. Also you have the food options of the GF and Contemporary. The kids love ‘Ohana character breakfast and Chef Mickey’s. I know I suggested the AKL but the more I think of your situation I think the Polynesian even for the extra money will be better for you.

ewasilau
09-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all of the thoughts. Actually, we're planning to get two rooms, regardless of where we stay (my mother-in-law wants her own - we're paying separately for our respective trips - and that's fine with me as it may give DH and/or I a place to hang out when the kids are asleep, if we can be next door, use a monitor, etc. Or, one of the kids can stay with her if 3 kids to a room is not working for us.

Someone noticed that we're not planning on Epcot. Both DH and I have been (not recently, but we haven't been to AK or HS) and it sounds like the least little-kid friendly of the parks. Anyone have thoughts on that??? Four parks just seems like way too much to do. (though maybe DH and I will go alone one evening if we get PH) And of course we'll be back to see it when the kids are older!

tikiman
09-19-2008, 03:38 PM
I think my 3 year olds least favorite park was HS but one of his favorite rides was Nemo at the Living Seas in Epcot. They have a nice character meet now over there in the middle of Future World indoors

Polynesian Dweller
09-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Whoa. No EPCOT. Even with young ones can't imagine not going there. The Living Seas with Nemo, Spaceship Earth, The Land and Imagination are all small kid friendly. There are also kid activities in Innoventions and even kids enjoy much of the World Showcase. It isn't a trip to Disney without Epcot.

mudpuppysmom
09-19-2008, 04:44 PM
First I'll comment on the resort, then the no Epcot day (wow -- no Epcot day!!!).

I have stayed at AKL (and we are going again this December). I have not stayed at the Poly, but we do spend a good bit of time there (when we stay at SOG -- it's right across the street).

When we stayed at AKL the last time, DH was three and when we got to our room and he opened that balcony door -- he came running back in saying THERE ARE ANIMALS HERE!!!!! He was beside himself every morning == he woke up super early and went out to see what animals were there, EVERY MORNING, AFTERNOON and EVENING!!!! I'm telling you , for the wow factor with the kids -- AKL is the place to go!! We did walk around to the different savannah's and he saw the whole place! He talked to SO many CM's about the animals I think they knew his name by the end of the week!! When they did not know an answer to his questions, they found out. We did a couple of the programs that they had -- medallion rubbings and feeding of the pelicans I remember more vividly.....oh and storytelling at the fire pit. The place is great for kids, but it is also relaxing for the adults!! My DH says that when we go there I'm not my normal stress ball.

As for eating there -- I'm not sure I'd want to eat there three or four nights during our vacation. Boma is good and I could probably squeek out two or three nights at Jiko, Mara is also a decent choice, but you might get tired of the "theme" food -- but they have regular food there too!!

Now for the Poly -- I have not stayed in a room there, but we have watched the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes from the beach....kids play all together on the beach and it is fun! My DS#1 calls the Poly the "waterfall hotel" and alwasy wants to stay there, but it's cost prohibitive for us. The lobby is fun to explore and they have a two nice shops there. We have eaten at Kona and Capt. Cooks many times and I think that I would rather eat at the Poly 3-4 times during a trip than the AKL, so that is a different aspect to staying at Poly!

I think that the transportation at the Poly is a bit better if you have kids that worship the MK -- yeah, it is easy to roll on and off the monorail or ferry. I'm not much of a bus person, so that would win me over too!!

As for no Epcot day -- WOW, it is very kid friendly if you ask me!! We usually spend THREE days at Epcot, and I'm talking whole days!! The first time we took DS#1 we never made it out of Future World the first day!!! I think that there is a lot to do for the kids at Epcot!!

Speaking of kids......my little guy is now "patiently" awaiting his bottle, so I'll have to cut this to an end.

Whatever you decide, you are going to have such a memorable and wonderful trip!!

dizneyfreek
09-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Fit in all parks if possible. If you have to skip one, skip HS. The kids will like Epcot.:thumbsup:

Tinkerbell'sFlight
09-21-2008, 03:32 PM
We stayed at the AKL in 2005 and the savannah view room was amazing. The next time we go I think we may stay at the Poly just to try a new place and for the convenience, but if your daughter loves animals, you will love staying at the AKL. I can't imagine visiting the hotel more than once if you are not actually staying there since it is out of the way, but if you wake up there every morning and look off of your balcony an see giraffes and elk and flamingos, you will truly be in heaven. My children loved getting up in the morning and looking to see if "their" giraffe was around. Cannot explain how incredibly magical staying at the AKL was for our family. Truly a treasured vacation. My kids were 11 and 7 so taking the buses was actually fun for them. We have never stayed at a monorail resort, though, so I imagine once you have experienced the freedom the monorail offers, it will be difiicult to do anything else!:mickey: