PDA

View Full Version : Southwest question

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
09-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Do you know if they still only board groups A,B C... or are there numbers assighed to each category... ie... A1, A2, A3.... so that there is less fighting to get in line?

faline
09-18-2008, 06:49 PM
You are now assigned a number like A23 or B17. Folks board within their groups and roughly by assigned number within that group.

scootch713
09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
In Pittsburgh.. they go A1-30.... ect.... seemed very orderly last time I boarded with it.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
09-18-2008, 07:39 PM
is it still first come first served with getting boardingpasses the 24 hours ahead of time?

brianlw71
09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
yes, still first come first serve.

WDWFanatic
09-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Yes, it's still 24 hours in advance, first come first serve. BUT with the option of paying extra for A's it's harder to get low A's, but you can still get A's just in the teens or low 20's.

don't forget you can also have someone log on for you and get the passes for you and then print them when you get to th airport.

faline
09-18-2008, 07:48 PM
It is with some minor changes. My understandng is that the lowest numbers are reserved for frequent business travelers. You still need to get your boarding pass exactly 24 hours ahead of time. If you're traveling with young children, you now really need to attempt to get an A boarding pass. With the changes, those traveling with young children now board after the A group (unless the have a boarding passes) and before the B group.

thumperbug
09-18-2008, 07:53 PM
The lowest A # are for business class tickets. They are the most expensive SW tickets but guarantee you an A spot 1-...however many Business class tickets they are selling for the flight.

I have paid the extra $20 or so to book business class so that my family is guaranteed to be boarded together and to sit together. It is myself, my spouse and my young son.

We still have to do the 24 hr check in but I feel better knowing that with the extra $ we paid we will sit together. Prior to business class, the stress of the 24 hr check in and praying we get decent numbers was burning holes in my stomach.

On our next trip we have 2 business class for my husband and son and I have a free ticket from a rewards program. Even if I end up with a B or C boarding on mine, I will feel better knowing my son is not stuck sitting alone without a parent.

AZ Disney
09-18-2008, 08:05 PM
The original question was answered, but I just wanted to add after many years of flying SWA as a revenue customer with a family I've never not been able to sit with my children and never witnessed any child being split from their family. I've seen customers that board late just ask another customer politely to trade seats and the problem is solved and I've also heard the flight crew request volunteers over the speaker. Your best bet is to check-in 24 hours in advance and be in the A's. I'm now a wife of a Captain and I just cross my fingers that 5 minutes before they board I'll get a seat...ha ha! The employees at SWA will bend over backwards to help their customers.

BigRedDad
09-19-2008, 07:49 AM
As others have said with the boarding passes, they are all correct. When we flew in April, we were on a bus from the parking center with another family of 4. They had boarding group C. Their children were too old to be classified as "young" children. They boarded and were all sitting together, allbeit in the back.

I would not be worried about boarding. I checked in 12 hours before our return flight and we had A22-A24.

thrillme
09-19-2008, 08:23 AM
So far even if I've gotten a "B" I've always been able to sit by my family. There was only one time when my son and I were flying (before hubby)...that I saw a family "sorta" split up. There were 4 of them and "somebody" was going to be split anyway. Dad and one boy sat together and the Mom and son were divided (they were the LAST to board. In fact... I suspect they were late getting to the gate because they "barely" seemed to make it).

The stewardess offered to help the mother find a seat next to her son but she turned her down. There was a seat next to me and one on the asile across and one back. I was rather surprised that the mom didn't take her up on it.

Alas. I guess the reason "WHY" was that it didn't matter. The boy fell asleep before take off and stayed that way till we landed. He was about the same age as my son. I guess that he must have been up all night.

Part of me wishes they'd just go to "assigned" seating and take this stress away but...when I've flown on OTHER airlines I see where that's a problem. If they decide to change planes from a larger plane to a smaller one because they didn't get as many passengers...the seating gets all messed up. Then you get the fool that gets "nested" and then they find out they're in the wrong seat. Next you know they're walking up and down the asile looking for a place to put their bags...and it turns into ANOTHER mess.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
09-19-2008, 09:13 AM
wELL WE WERE UP AT THE CRACK OF DAWN TO GET OUR BOARDING PASSES, AND ARE B, 5,6&7Given that both my kids are under 5, I guess they will have us board after the "A" group. I will just ask for help if I can't find something with us together and hope for the best.

I, too would prefer addigned seating... but what can ya do?

RBrooksC
09-19-2008, 10:05 AM
"Part of me wishes they'd just go to "assigned" seating and take this stress away"

That is not going to happen any time soon. Before SWA decided upon the new boarding procedure, they did extensive testing of ideas including assigned seats. Assigning seats caused the boarding process to take much longer. Also, passengers much preferred to be able to choose their own seat once on board the plane.

Turning a plane quicker allows for the plane to be in the air longer which increases revenue which help keeps costs low which in turn keeps fares low.

BigRedDad
09-19-2008, 10:26 AM
You will all be together with B boarding passes. If you want assigned seats, there are other carriers that do this for a much larger fee. You can also purchase Business Class tickets that guarantee you board first.

jonahbear2006
09-19-2008, 10:36 AM
We got up at the crack of dawn and we were A 27 and we had no problem getting seats we wanted. As a matter of fact, there were only about 35 people on the way down and returning, we had to hitch a ride with the fort lauderdale plane because we were the only ones assigned to the returning flight and IT only had 25 people on it. I wouldn't worry if you are flying anytime soon. It is a low time of year and there doesn't seem to be a big rush to get on the plane. We stood anxiously by the door while everyone else looked at us like we were crazy.

RBrooksC
09-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Also, remember you may check in from any PC twenty-four hours prior to departure. Even if you don't have a printer, you may check-in and have an agent print out the boarding pass when you come to the airport.

Disney Doll
09-19-2008, 01:40 PM
We always fly SW and while I normally do try to check in 24 hours in advance I've never seen a family with young children split up. Really the seat I get isn't that important to me so I have no problems with the lack of assigned seats.

teachvicts
09-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Will the front desks at WDW resorts print boarding passes for guests?:mickey:

thrillme
09-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Yes they'll print them at the resort and I think at the parks too. If you are not in a place to do this...Call someone at home and have them "check in" for you.

You can reprint the boarding passes at the airport.

eam
09-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Do you have to call for your boarding passes, do it online, or either one? My daughter is flying down to meet us in October and I want to make sure she knows what to do. Thanks so much.

BigRedDad
09-22-2008, 10:28 AM
To get your boarding pass, all you have to do is login to SW, type in the reservation number and purchaser's name. You do not need to print the boarding pass. You can do this when you check-in at the airport. This is more useful on the way down than on the way back.

mudpuppysmom
09-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Just chiming in here about checking in 24 hrs before......I was sitting at my computer 5 minutes before and kept trying......then at one second after check in started I was assigned the very last three "slots" in the A group.... I thought that there would be a bunch of business travelers in front of me, but that was not the case! We were one of two families with a young child with us (he was 5, so too old for the old early boarding). All three of us sat together with no problem, but there was a family who was in the C group who had a little trouble that was quickly remedied by the flight crew - still quicker than assigned seating if you ask me.

The only thing I have to say about the new boarding system for younger kids is that they tend to want to sit right in the first row (you know the "I'm FIRST!" deal.....well, DS still wanted to sit in the first row, but was not given that opportunity -- it was a bunch of older women who sat there and spread themselves over the first two rows......I told DS not to worry -- let's sit a bit closer to the bathroom in the back where no one ever sits.....lo and behold we were practically back there by ourselves on the way down!! On the way back we had a full flight though, but still we all got to sit together.

Just check in at the 24 hour mark and you should be OK with an A or B slot.

TheRustyScupper
09-22-2008, 05:07 PM
SW boarding sequence
. . . handicapped, wheelchairs, assists (these are not kids-under-2 families)
. . . Group A1-A15 (business)
. . . Group A Families, with kids under two
. . . Group A16-A30
. . . Group B Families, with kids under two
. . . Group B1-B15
. . . Group B16-B30
. . . Group C Families, with kids under two (sometimes combined with B-Families)
. . . Group C1-C15
. . . Group C16-C30
. . . all last minute or late arrivals

NOTE: Even if "Business" checks in at the airport 35-minutes before the flight, they are guaranteed a seat in the A1-A15 seats. This is their perk. No non-business ticket can get a A1-A15 boarding pass, regardless when they check-in.

bkfree
09-24-2008, 12:06 AM
We are a family of 4 and are flying down on SW for our trip in Dec.
My children are 7 and 9. My 9 year old son has autism and while he has flown a lot, he does much better if he can board before the plane is too crowded and chaotic.
On other airlines, we book early and choose seats that facilitate the first boarding group or the airline allows us to board with First Class due to our son's disability.We usually fly Delta and they have been great. But since they no longer have the direct flight from our city to Orlando and the cost with them was double, they were not an option for this trip.
Anyone have any idea of SW will allow this or if he qualifies for the handicapped and assists group?

RBrooksC
09-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Autistic children are eligible for Preboard status on a SWA flight.

What I would suggest doing is calling an having the Reservation Agent notate your reservation with the autism information. This way it will follow you your whole trip. It will make it a lot easier for you if everybody already knows than for you to have to explain it at each airport.

However, I would make sure you do mention it when you get there in case the CS agent misses the notation in your record.

RBrooksC
09-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Sorry, that is not quite correct.

Unless the family has an "A" boarding pass, they all board the plane between Group A and Group B. This is called "Family Boarding."

SW boarding sequence
. . . handicapped, wheelchairs, assists (these are not kids-under-2 families)
. . . Group A1-A15 (business)
. . . Group A Families, with kids under two
. . . Group A16-A30
. . . Group B Families, with kids under two
. . . Group B1-B15
. . . Group B16-B30
. . . Group C Families, with kids under two (sometimes combined with B-Families)
. . . Group C1-C15
. . . Group C16-C30
. . . all last minute or late arrivals

NOTE: Even if "Business" checks in at the airport 35-minutes before the flight, they are guaranteed a seat in the A1-A15 seats. This is their perk. No non-business ticket can get a A1-A15 boarding pass, regardless when they check-in.

TheRustyScupper
09-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Unless the family has an "A" boarding pass, they all board the plane between Group A and Group B. This is called "Family Boarding."

1) I thought that is what I wrote.
. . . Business "A" Boarding Passes
. . . Families "A" Boarding Passes
. . . Remainder of "A" Boarding Passes
2) On occassion, when there are a lot of families,
. . . "C" Families board just before "C", instead of before "B"
. . . happens in Cleveland, Chicago, Indy (that I have personally seen)

RBrooksC
09-24-2008, 03:21 PM
The only special groups are Preboard which board prior to boarding.

Business Select which are the A 1 through 15.

And Families who did not get an A boarding pass who board between groups A & B as their own unnumbered group.

If a Family has an A boarding pass, they board according to their number in the "A" boarding group.

bkfree
09-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Thank You. I will call SW and have them make a notation on our reservation.

thumperbug
09-26-2008, 07:29 PM
you can call or do it online.

bkfree
09-29-2008, 10:51 AM
you can call or do it online.

How and where do I do it online?
Thanks

thumperbug
09-29-2008, 12:12 PM
go to their website and there is a link to check in. You need your confirmation # and the name of the person who purchased the ticket.

On my return flights I do the check in on my mobile phone. I have a link to internet and go to their mobile website.

bkfree
09-29-2008, 12:18 PM
OK, trying not to be obtuse on this.

So I wait until we checkin the day before and note that we have an autistic child traveling/
Is this correct?:confused:
Where do I notate this on the check in page?
Thanks again for helping me muddle through this.

RBrooksC
09-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Just call the 800 number and talk to a Reservations agent. They should be able to notate your account of this.

You won't be able to do this yourself. This will be part of your PNR and when you get to the airport and request a blue Preboard sleeve, the agent will be able to see it in your account.

bkfree
09-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks everyone. I called the 800 number. The rep. was very nice and notated it on our reservation that we were traveling with an autistic child and would need pre board passes.

She told me that I did not have to do the 24 hr pre flight check in for boading passes. We just needed to go to the counter and they would give us our blue pre board passes.
She said it would work the same on our flight home.

This has taken a big worry off of me.
Look out Disney 62 days and counting!:mickey: