PDA

View Full Version : Master's Degree

thrillme
09-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Has anyone ever tried to get a Master's Degree 17 years after the Bachelor Degree?

Is it even possible or do you have to start from scratch?::(

Strmchsr
09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Though I went straight from B.S. to masters (and then only took a 3 year break before doctorate) I knew several folks in my masters program that had done something similar. Yes, you can certainly do that. Bachelors degrees never expire. It will just depend on the individual school as to what requirements you will face. Most will require you take the GRE or some similar exam. Certainly you will be required to send in your undergrad transcript. But, like I said, it's all up to the individual school. Good luck!

JPL
09-18-2008, 03:34 PM
I went back for my masters about 9 years after my BA. In the beginning it was a little shaky but I was fine once I got back into the swing of school. I also did it while I was working full time going 2 nights a week for about 2 years. So it is very possible to do :thumbsup:

tinkerbell04
09-18-2008, 05:58 PM
It is possible, I just got mine after a ten year break. You will most likely have to take an entrance exam. the best bet for you to do would be to talk to the university etc that you are interested in. Good luck!!!:mickey:

Disney Doll
09-19-2008, 12:23 PM
It is absolutely possible! I work as an academic advisor for a graduate program and most of my students are working adults many who have been out of school for some time. I always recommend that you start slow with maybe 6 hours so that you can ease back into school. It's also nice if you are in a program that tends to focus more on adult students. Usually programs like that are likely to have more evening, weekend, or online classes. I know in our program we start with an introductory class that goes over some of the things you might not remember from your undergraduate days like how to write an academic paper. Students are always telling me how much they appreciate having a class like that. There are lots of programs that target adult students because so many adults are returning to school. Just be careful that you choose a reputable program from an accredited institution. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. In the end you want more than just a piece of paper. You want knowledge and experience you can use. If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a PM. Congratulations on your decision to return to school and good luck!

merlinmagic4
09-19-2008, 04:24 PM
I hope you can! I received my Bachelor's Degree 16 years ago and will not start on Master's for another year or two (although I am looking at programs). Good luck!!!

MamaStyles
09-19-2008, 05:20 PM
I FINALLY got my M.Ed 31 years after I graduated with my B.Sc.!! I started back to school 3 times but for various reasons had to put my master's on hold!

.I was so nervous:unsure::scared: but my seminar group was in the same 'boat', teaching fulltime, family issues etc:boat:. Some graduate courses I had taken along the way counted to my master's...but I did it! I tried to focus on the small steps rather than the BIG picture. Just remember there will probably be others who have the same anxiety you have. It is definitely worth it to accomplish your goal.:yay::yay:

TooGoofy
09-20-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm doing it right now! I got my Bachelor's then went back to grad school and got my teaching certificate (but not my Master's). 17 years later I am now in a program for my M.S. Ed. which I should get in 2011. You can do it...but it does cut in to your Intercot time! :mickey:

tinksmom02
09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
I just started grad school in January after a nine year break. I didn't even have to take the GRE (I don't think I would've done it if I'd had to take the test LOL)

I'm doing it all online through Drexel U (Philly)...it's been a great experience and I'm glad I made the decision to go back.

Good luck to you!

thrillme
09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm kinda considering something "on-line". The higher ups at work are talking about wanting a "masters" as a recommendation for promotion. It hasn't come to pass yet but I'm thinking of the possibility of getting prepared. I've got my bachelors I really never considered getting a Masters because I just didn't need it.