PDA

View Full Version : Celebrate YOU in 2009! A Disney FIRST!

Tink1
09-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Happy Birthday!

Guests who attend WDW on the day of their birthdays will be offered a special gift during 2009. The choices:

free birthday 1-day park ticket,
$75.00 merchandise gift card, or
4 fastpasses per person per party of up to 6 guests.

And even if you are celebrating something besides your birthday, Disney wants to make it special. Anniversary? Personal Goal? First Trip?

You can order Tshirts, Pins and room decorations to coordinate your Celebration (at a cost)

There will be special celebrations parade on Main Street

There will be events you can participate in that can be pre-booked online (at a cost)

There will be celebrations cakes you can pre-order to have in your rooms or at dinner (at a cost)

Everything that is needed for YOUR personal Celebration and Your Magical Journey (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com)

They let us know this at the Earmarked conference but we were held to confidentiality until 1pm today.

Nanci

Momof2boys
09-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Way to keep a secret Nanci ! :mickey::thumbsup:

This is very cool ~ a $75 merchandise card would be a great birthday gift. Heck, it's more than I get from my Mother in Law.

Any hints if this is THE big promotion of 2009 or just an extra they're adding on ?

jonahbear2006
09-18-2008, 01:07 PM
wow. I wish they did that this year! That is fun!!! I want to go for MY birthday!

Tink1
09-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Way to keep a secret Nanci ! :mickey::thumbsup:

No way would I have leaked it. You KNOW they were watching websites to see if/when/who leaked. Intercot is a top notch site with integrity and ethics. Magical Journeys strives to be as well. I would never jeopardize the reputation of either.

This is very cool ~ a $75 merchandise card would be a great birthday gift. Heck, it's more than I get from my Mother in Law.

Any hints if this is THE big promotion of 2009 or just an extra they're adding on ?

This replaces Year of a Million Dreams. (and I have not gotten a gift from my MIL in 25 years)

Nanc

Tink1
09-18-2008, 01:32 PM
And here is the ad for it

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneyparks/en_US/WhatWillYouCelebrate/index?name=CelebrationVideoPage

very Pretty

N

Sunshine1010
09-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Whoa --- 25 years? If her presents are anything like what my Aunt and Uncle send to my family and I (...think light blue silk shirt and an Elvis tie......no joke)....then it may be a hidden blessing.

3AMommy
09-18-2008, 01:40 PM
That's awesome!!!!

We have already booked for the week of both of my son's birthday's for next year....

But, how will the free park entry effect how we purchase our tickets for vacation?

3AMommy

BrerSchultzy
09-18-2008, 01:55 PM
If you have already bought multiday passes, you have the option of getting a gift card for the amount of a one day admission ($72 right now) or 4 FPs for everyone in your party (of up to 6 guests). Same for AP holders too.

ShinynewJB
09-18-2008, 02:01 PM
$75.00 merchandise gift card

Aw, man! Now I feel like I missed out. I was there for my 21st birthday (September the 4th). I would have been so cool if they did this promotion this year insted of carrying on the year of a million dreams.

Never mind :(

ljv1975
09-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Wow! We've already booked for my DD's b-day in Sept. '09. Will we just have to show proof of her birthday when we arrive to receive the gift card? Just wondering if we do this at our resort upon check-in or at MK on her actual b-day?? :party:

Beast_fanatic
09-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Hubby will be very excited to get a $75 gift card for his birthday. :thumbsup:

Sunshine1010
09-18-2008, 02:12 PM
How do we prove a child's birthday?.....

ljv1975
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
How do we prove a child's birthday?.....

I'm guessing a copy of a birth certificate? That's the only thing I can think of.

TinkiTime1989
09-18-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm guessing a copy of a birth certificate? That's the only thing I can think of.

According to Disney's terms listed on the website you must provide the original birth certificate or a notarized copy of the birth certificate for anyone under the age of 18. If you are 18 or older, a valid photo ID with your birthdate on it is required.

Carol
09-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Here is the full article;

In 2009, Come to a Disney Park on Your Birthday and Get In Free! A Disney ‘First’ Launches ‘Celebration Vacation’ Travel Trend

NEW YORK (Sept. 18, 2008) – Everyone who visits a Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland Resort theme park on their birthday in 2009 can get in free, as Disney Parks embraces a newly identified family travel trend called “celebration vacations.”

In this new national trend, American families are hitting the road to mark life’s special occasions – birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, reunions and more – with a “celebration vacation.” In 2009, Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts will lead this growing trend with new entertainment and services that allow guests to turn their personal milestones into magical Disney experiences.

And to kick it all off – a first-ever opportunity for guests to receive a free ticket to one of the Walt Disney World or Disneyland theme parks on their birthday in 2009.

“Birthdays are the one occasion that we all share every year,” said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, at an announcement event today in New York. “We thought a free birthday ticket would be the icing on the cake as we extend this new ‘celebration vacation’ trend to Disney Parks.”

Disney parks provide the perfect setting for this new style of vacation that celebrates the special occasions in life, Rasulo added.

Whether a guest is celebrating a birthday, an anniversary, Quinceañera or any special occasion, Disney parks already are filled with favorite characters, world-class attractions and entertainment, and legendary guest service – exactly the “something for everyone” that trend-watchers say families look for in a “celebration vacation.”

“The special moments in your life become truly magical when you celebrate at a Disney park,” Rasulo said. “Sharing a milestone at Disney connects families, friends and generations.”

Nationwide Survey Reveals ‘Celebration Vacation’ Trend

A nationwide survey of nearly 4,600 adults conducted by Ypartnership – co-author of the influential National Travel Monitor – showed that 70 percent of U.S. leisure travelers have taken a vacation with the primary purpose of marking a special occasion in their lives – a “celebration vacation,” as Ypartnership President and CEO Peter Yesawich termed it.

Respondents mentioned a broad range of events worth celebrating with a special vacation – not just birthdays and anniversaries but a first vacation with children, a job promotion or recovery from an illness.

Whenever something positive happens in their lives, people seek out ways to make them more special, Yesawich said, and vacations are clearly perceived as both an appropriate and desirable way to do so.

Time does pass quickly and there is a growing trend to slow down our frenetic lifestyles and stop to rejoice around the things that matter,” he said. “Families on ‘celebration vacations’ are looking to truly commemorate moments in their lives – in special places everyone can enjoy.”

Research showed that when they take that “celebration vacation,” families are looking for destinations that provide activities for children and – better yet – activities adults and children can enjoy together.

Given these findings, it’s not surprising that Disney Parks topped the list of destinations where families would most like to celebrate these special occasions,” Yesawich said.

Turning Life’s Special Moments Into a Personal Disney Celebration

“We see our parks as the ideal setting for a personal celebration,” Rasulo said. “Guests can immerse themselves in their favorite stories and their favorite characters, creating a visit they’ll never forget.

“And when our cast members get involved, it feels as if the entire park is celebrating along with you.”

At Walt Disney World Resort, guests can add on to the fun, choosing from more than 200 experiences ranging from breathtaking (magical fireworks cruises, sunrise safaris, diving the depths with undersea creatures) to mirth-making (Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, character dining, kids’ pirate adventures). At Disneyland Resort, celebrants can book more than 50 magical experiences, including “My Disneyland Birthday Party” and unique Disneyland guided tours.

With all there is to do in Disney parks, guests can tailor their celebration with favorite attractions, favorite characters and special experiences. Maybe they have a “princess” day with themed meals, shows, attractions and perfectly princess merchandise at Disneyland. Or they turn Walt Disney World “wild” with trail riding, bass fishing and water skiing.

Even before the Ypartnership findings, Disney noticed the celebration trend happening in its parks, Rasulo noted. For instance, guests have visited the parks to propose marriage, celebrate a child’s passage into high school, or pull the whole family together for the golden anniversary of their parents. “But Walt Disney World and Disneyland are now poised to champion milestone vacations for families and friends in a breakthrough way,” he said. “We’re asking our guests, ‘What will YOU celebrate?’

“Part of the celebration is all the firsts that magically happen at Disney Parks,” Rasulo said. “Guests become the star of their own celebration. It could be a first trip to Disney or a first family vacation without the stroller. We want to make a first visit – and every visit – even more memorable.”

Even if they’re not celebrating, Rasulo said, guests will be immersed in a “Celebrate Today!” spirit, making every day a party.

Making it Easier than Ever to Plan

Planning any event can be a challenge. With Disney’s new celebration planning tools, it’s easier than ever for guests to plan celebrations large and small, customizing and personalizing each experience and tending to all the details, from a special cake to an elaborate one-of-a-kind celebration that only Disney could create.

Thanks to new Web tools, guests can discover magical experiences, unique events, dining enhancements and more.

Disney’s planning services allow guests to stay focused on what really matters – the people closest to them. And vacation packages make celebrating at Disney right for any budget.

Customizing Your Celebration

Depending on the Disney park they are headed to, guests can order everything from special dining to princess tea parties, from yacht cruises to treasure hunting on a pirate sailing adventure, from a quiet trail ride to parasailing thrills. Or they can opt for magical experiences for their group – from dessert parties to a Magic Kingdom fireworks cruise to special entertainment.

Carol
09-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Among add-on experiences guests can choose to customize their “celebration vacation”:

Custom Bakery Cakes and Signature Desserts: Disney chefs create an unforgettable finale to a special dinner with a beautifully decorated cake themed to any occasion or a new line of celebration desserts.

For Lovebirds: Sweetheart dinners for two in which couples can clink “Celebrate Today!” champagne flutes.

Family Portraits: Capture the memory with a portrait session with Walt Disney World photographers. Build a custom photo album with Disney’s PhotoPass.

Personalized Souvenirs: Mark your occasion with personalized Mouse ears, character T-shirts and collectible pins.

Decorate Your Disney Guest Room: Step into a resort room decorated to fit your celebration theme with confetti, banners, surprises and more.

Stay Inside a Dream Theme: Book a themed guest room at either destination – princess-themed or Mickey-inspired at Disneyland or – coming in 2009 – pirate-themed at Walt Disney World Resort.

Set Sail: Book a private romantic cruise on a yacht or set your party afloat on a shared magical fireworks voyage.

Go Inside the Magic: Behind-the-scenes tours take you inside the storytelling, adventure and history of Disney Parks.

Disney Story Book Experiences: Choose from pirate adventures, tea parties, princess makeovers and more – all with the magic of Disney.

Disneyland Parties: “Celebration Roundup and Barbecue at Big Thunder Ranch,” all-new, is a full-blown party complete with frontier entertainment, goodie bags and a surprise treat for everyone – no matter what they’re celebrating. “My Disneyland Birthday Party” features cake decorating, party hats and even Mickey and Minnie pay a visit.

Celebrating in the Parks

Disney is unwrapping all-new entertainmentwith memory-makers in mind, allowing guests to focus their celebration on favorite characters, favorite attractions and favorite stories to create a custom celebration in the park. New park experiences coming in 2009 for all park guests to enjoy:

Street Parties: Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Park come to life with interactive street parties. The call to “Celebrate Today!” goes out to guests, music floods the streets, dancing kicks into high gear and the parks become “the happiest party on Earth.”

Tomorrowland Party: A high-energy, retro-futuristic music video dance party features Stitch, an interactive dance troupe, and a DJ celebration host who’s inviting all Walt Disney World guests to come party, dance and celebrate.

Park Décor: The parks will be decorated with colorful banners, balloons and festive party
hats – as if awaiting your celebration.
Buttons: Complimentary celebration buttons will help Disney cast members and fellow guests recognize you and your celebration.

Memories to Last a Lifetime

Disney parks are the ultimate setting for any celebration, turning a special occasion into a magical Disney experience. And with the opportunity of free admission to a Walt Disney World or Disneyland Resort theme park on your birthday in 2009, it’s even more special. All it takes is a valid ID including proof of birth date. Guests can get more details and start the process by registering their birthdays at www.disneyparks.com.

“We believe Disney parks are uniquely positioned for any celebration and offer the ultimate setting for marking a cherished milestone,” Rasulo said. “People trust Disney to make an occasion truly magical. And now more than ever, Disney will help guests seize those special moments and turn them into memories that will live forever in their hearts.”

Insanity Clause
09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Okay, then here is the question. What about if you are going to Disney to celebrate your birthday but you won't actually be there on the actual date. Our trip is April 20-27 but my actual birthday is on the 30th. Unfortunately because of DH we can't do it on the actual date...I am guessing we probably won't apply, huh?

DisneyMomma23
09-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Park Décor: The parks will be decorated with colorful banners, balloons and festive party
hats – as if awaiting your celebration.
Buttons: Complimentary celebration buttons will help Disney cast members and fellow guests recognize you and your celebration.

let's hope the pink birthday cake castle doesn't make a return :D

all in all sounds like it could be a fun promotion.

January-2007
09-18-2008, 03:15 PM
This is really neat! :mickey:

mac badger
09-18-2008, 03:19 PM
someone posted this elsewhere as something they saw on another website, so of course i thought it was another crazy rumor. color me suprised. this seems like a really nice promotion. it looks especially good for those floridians who maybe only go for one day. i personally have APs, but now i can go with some of my friends who dont normally have the money to go

Carol
09-18-2008, 03:20 PM
What about if you are going to Disney to celebrate your birthday but you won't actually be there on the actual date. Our trip is April 20-27 but my actual birthday is on the 30th.It only applies on your "actual birthday".

elmjimmlm
09-18-2008, 03:36 PM
OK now they should have a new planning dvd out for this ... I love getting these and watching it over and over and over and over and over...

Magic_Mirror
09-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi
How about the Disney Cruise Ships? We arrive for 8 days at AKL in Feb 09 from the UK, then we are at Sea for my wife’s 50th birthday (we are at Castaway on the actual day 3rd March 09):party:
What does anyone think?

We were there at WDW for our 25th Anniversary, our 30th Anniversary my 50th Birthday
We will probably miss out on this, as it will probably be only in the parks :(

ShinynewJB
09-18-2008, 04:00 PM
OK now they should have a new planning dvd out for this ... I love getting these and watching it over and over and over and over and over...

Second! I've played the Happiest Celebration on Earth one so much that if it were a VHS it would be worn out. Infact, all the planning VHS tapes I have from way back when are worn out :P.

I actually bought the DVD box-set from the parks last week, but I really don't enjoy them as much as the free planning DVDs (which DIDN'T cost me $80! :()

Disney Doll
09-18-2008, 04:11 PM
I guess great minds think alike. We are celebrating DS 1st b-day in WDW next month. :mickey:

Jasper
09-18-2008, 04:33 PM
OK, I do kind of like this promotion but I just wonder about one thing. Do you all believe that 70% of people take vacations to celebrate a special event in their life? Maybe we are the exception rather than the rule but I really can't ever remember taking a trip to WDW, or anyplace else, just to celebrate a birthday or any other event. Sure, there have been times when a trip happened to land on a special event but that was just luck and not planning. So what do you think of that 70% figure?

jray21
09-18-2008, 04:38 PM
:blush:

OK, so they could add more, but......

I do like the free entrance, or other gift things, but overall it just doesn't seem too exciting. To me, it just seems to be more marketing, versus a celebration. Everything in this celebration except for the birthday special, costs money, and is nothing new as it has already been available.

I am all for being able to pay more for a better experience, we can already do that with grand gatherings and cruises, but I wish they would just do more in the parks for everyone as a yearly promotion. More activities, more surprises, more characters, upgrades, new rides, and more entertainment (hopefully that is what the street celebrations are, or are they just counting the walking garbage can and high school music rallies as the celebrations?), as part of the celebration and in addition to what is already being built. But unfortunately, it's all about money. As an example, I will use my upcoming marathon trip. The wife and I have a cruise planned, dinner at V&A, and the dinning plan, plus a couple of tours. So how will this new promotion help? It doesn't really. The sweetheart dinner has an app, entree, and dessert, dinning plan is probably still the better deal (no limit on entree with the DDP). Also the cake and gift box really does nothing for me. It will be expensive, and anyone could do it on their own for a lot cheaper and in a very short amount of time. Plus, I would much rather have us both get an individual dessert from the different restaurants, than share a cake.

I hope I am wrong, but reading and watching everything on the official website isn't that different from what is already available. The free entrance, gift baskets, dining specials, and cakes, are the only things not currently available. When I go to the official sight, I see what should have been there for years - every activity available, and the contact information. For example, to get the fireworks cruise you would have had to first, know it exists, and second, know the number. The website just throws it all out there in one easy place like it should have from day one. Now, I am sure that some things could be added later, I hope, but as it looks now, it's really not that different. I would even go on to say that the year of a million dreams (I never did like it even though I won a hat and pins) was brilliant in comparison.

I was really thinking they were going to go all out this year. I thought I would really be blown away, but it just seems they took some stuff from DCL and brought it to WDW. I was hoping for something groundbreaking and unique like when Fastpasses came out. Now that was a great idea. I also don't think advertising a new parade is anything special. That is an absolute given. To me it's like announcing that the dapper dans or voices of liberty will be singing new songs this year. Sure a lot of time and money go into it, but mention it, don't use it as a big selling point. This new celebration is nice, but really nothing special.

Again, I am all for capitalism, like the Fantasmic dessert at DL, Grand Gatherings, personal portraits, VIP services, etc. Hey if you've got the money you should be able to get a little extra, but for a parkwide celebration you shouldn't make everything have a cost to enjoy the promotion. How about doing something with the old lagoon, the show buildings at DHS, wonders of life, or keeping Fantasmic open everyday. Do those along with this promotion, and then people would be beyond happy.

One thing you have to check out on the new website is the "memories" tab. 15 out of the 16 items are just Photopass items. Wow, they put a catalog on the website and called it celebration memories. I just hope I am wrong.

thumperbug
09-18-2008, 04:48 PM
I like this new idea. We will be in WDW 2 weeks before my son's 7th B'day so it will be nice that the theme is celebration vacation. My son's first trip to WDW was on his 4th B'day and we celebrated the whole week.

I am glad for a change and I do think that a lot more folks go to WDW for a celebration purpose.

I am going to look into the room decorations for him.

Dsnygirl
09-18-2008, 04:59 PM
I, too, am a little thrown by this... it's certainly not up to Disney's normal "woohoo, let's celebrate" standards. I wonder if it's an economy thing, and that instead of throwing out the big bucks for another "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration, which has to have cost them quite a bit, they're trying to emphasize what they already do to get more folks there w/o having to spend a bunch to do it. The free day on your b'day is nice, but the "clause" that says it can't be applied for AP holders or multiple-day pass holders is too bad... b/c most people are one or the other. Not too many 1 day at a time folks out there, even in FL - most of them are AP'ers. And if you're booking a package w/ multi-day passes, you can't just do a "free" day first on your b'day and then the rest, b/c that'd be two reservations and/or packages. (At least according to how they do it now...) So, seeing it work well will be interesting. So, okay, instead you get a $75 gift voucher -- truthfully, I think that's very nice - but the Fast Passes? C'mon, they're free, and truthfully, not worth getting me there on my birthday, esp. if my birthday falls during peak travel times.

I'm not too impressed by this... we have our plans set for next year, and no one's b'day is involved... okay, our 15th wedding anniv. probably is, but we already know all the special stuff we can do for it -- nothing they're offering is new -- and I certainly won't change our travel dates to encompass a b'day, just for $75 in one of the shops. (I'm an AP holder, and the rest of my family will have multi-day passes, so no free entrance for us. :()

Just my :twocents:...

SAHDad
09-18-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm hoping that they add some more information soon. Right now, the "Dining Enhancements" are all available at "most" full-service restaurants, and available "Spring 2009". Nothing on price, and I personally don't consider the end of January next year to be "Spring 2009".

It's nice that everything is in one location, instead of the "mystery meat" navigation that sometimes has plagued the WDW site, but I was hoping for more concrete information.

Catzle
09-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I guess I am not the norm. But I am going to be greedy here and say what about everyone else that goes to Disney but not on their birthday? It's great for those who happen to go on someone's birthday but what about the other % of people that go and can't go on their loved ones birthday's. The promotion doesn't seem for everyone just those that can get their on a certain day of the year.

pixiesmimi
09-18-2008, 05:59 PM
It says that this is a celebration for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Does that mean that the free day also includes if you go on your anniversary or is it just for your birthday?

kakn7294
09-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Well darn! We're celebrating DD's 14th B-day but we'll be there 15 days early. No way to change the dates either - we're tied to the HS Band schedule.

pink
09-18-2008, 06:26 PM
I do like the free entrance, or other gift things, but overall it just doesn't seem too exciting. To me, it just seems to be more marketing, versus a celebration. Everything in this celebration except for the birthday special, costs money, and is nothing new as it has already been available.

I think getting in for free on your birthday is great, since usually when my family goes it's during one of our birthdays. However, I feel the same way. They're promoting extras that they've already had as a way to make more money. It's easy for us to spot but to the untrainted eye it looks like they've created all these new wonderful experiences.

It says that this is a celebration for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Does that mean that the free day also includes if you go on your anniversary or is it just for your birthday?

I think it's just for your birthday. They just mentioned anniversarys and such to say you can celebrate those in a big way at WDW too. :mickey:

dizluvr71
09-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Has anyone figured out what exactly the Celebration Tour is? They are coming to a city near us in January however I can't really figure out what it is. Do we need to buy tickets to an event or what?

Septbride2002
09-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Personally I think this "celebration" is LAME not to mention going to be hard to enforce. On other sites (not this one) people spends lots of time trying to get around the system. They fake birthdays to see if they can get something free, they do fridge swaps, stroller swaps, and other little ideas to try and get around paying for something. How much do you want to bet you start seeing "Birth Certificate Swaps for kids."

Not to mention overall the theme is just lame. I would much rather they NOT have a theme and hey - come to disney because it's DISNEY!

~Amanda:thedolls:

coloradowendyl
09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Special Occasions and events other than birthdays will be included as part of the "What Do You Celebrate? program. However, the Free Admission program is strictly for birthdays. If you choose the $75 Gift Card or Fast Passes, they must be used on the day of your birthday. It will not be valid on any other day. The one day admission is valid for 12 months, but may not be used by anyone other than the Birthday Celebrant.

There is more information here:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneyparks/en_US/minisites/freeOnYourBirthday/index

Valid proof of birthdate will include gov.issued ID such as drivers licenses, passports, etc. Original or notarized copies of birth certificates may be used for children under 18 who do not have driver's licenses or other form of gov. issued ID. Many states will do a state ID for minor children with picture and birthdate.

Wendy

lockedoutlogic
09-18-2008, 07:43 PM
ok....i'll be the one to say what we're all thinking:

"why bother.....this is garbage"

seriously....what a bunch of bull....they clearly can't survive without putting up some silly promotional signs and ads.....so they come up with even less than they have for the last three stupid "celebrations"

and i though 100 years of magic was stupid....

you know...there used to be somekind of point to this....and anniversary....obviously the 2000 thing was an easy sell....

now they just are coming up with nothing....just a thinley veiled attempt to get people to return and spend more of their shrinking discretionary funds at WDW....

am i wrong?

Dawneeeey
09-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Just another reason why I should go to Disney World for my 40th birthday!!!!!!!!!

:pixie::birthday::pixie:

MegaDisney
09-18-2008, 07:58 PM
*yawn*

Mousefever
09-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Lame.

Polynesian Dweller
09-18-2008, 09:16 PM
A rather underwhelming announcement. It will probably be more useful to locals than those of us who have to travel to get there. Even the amounts aren't that great. If you are going for seven days the one day on a MYW pass works out to $34.68 based on a $242.82 7 day pass.

They are counting on you spending money on food, drinks, merchandise (over and above the $75) and then for a birthday its quite likely more than just the birthday person going. So, they get the ticket and food etc for any extra person. As well, they are counting on a certain number of the 'at a cost' items being purchased.

Its a promotion that makes you feel like you are getting something when in reality they are encouraging you to spend more. Not what I expected from a 'first for Disney' type announcement.:(

casey@bat
09-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I will be in WDW on my birthday in June and I am so exctied! I was thinking that all the decorations would be just for me! Everyone will be celebrating MY birthday. That's what I'm telling my kids anyway!

I am pumped the most about the 4 fast passes for up to 6 people!!!! When it is crowed, that is worth more than $75!!!! So does that mean you get 24 fast passes? How will they know who is supposed to be using them? Do we all have to be together? Do you have to use them ON your birthday?

I can't wait to tell my brother!!!!

Sunshine1010
09-18-2008, 10:57 PM
yeah....are the fast passes for just 1 ride,...or is it unlimited fast pass to everything, all day?

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-18-2008, 11:03 PM
We were planning to go for DD's birthday again this May, so for us, this is just fine.

She'll love spending her "disney birthday present" herself. :mickey:

I agree, it isn't super-fantastic, but then how many of us actually won a great dream during the current promotion?

SAHDad
09-18-2008, 11:28 PM
I agree, it isn't super-fantastic, but then how many of us actually won a great dream during the current promotion?
We didn't win anything, but some friends of ours scored the night in the castle. We just had to enjoy it vicariously.

ryca1dreams
09-18-2008, 11:47 PM
I agree that it is pretty dumb from my consumer perspective. But, Disney is a business and the bean counters probably did a cost analysis and determined that they could get some money out of this too. Balloons, banners, and "bait" (ie, a free ticket) don't make me feel special. Being treated like a person instead of a commodity make me feel special.

It won't change my vacation plans - my birthday is on a major holiday and there is no way I will go to WDW on that day.

BTW, I did win a dream fast pass and only had to use the Peter Pan tab. Short lines. It was still cool though - CMs do a good job of making you feel special.

BIGDOG
09-19-2008, 12:22 AM
So let me see I take my family of 7 normally stay for 7 to 10 days at a moderate resort. We need 2 rooms, and food and tickets and goodies for all. Normally drop from 7 to 9 k each trip including air and limo and extras. Disney the marketing wonders of the world can only come up with a birthday ticket for 1 person(unless you have twins) if you happen to be there on your birthday. I think they should be ashamed of themselves with the economy the way it is, is that really the best you could do. Save 75.00 or so and have to look at cake all day thru out the park. I have news for you some of us don't like to be reminded we are getting older ! Of course you probally will not be able to use this with any other promo like free dining or special room rates or some limits of some sort. We actually took this year off due to fact of being dreamed out from last year. Looks like another vacation on Marthas Vinyard with our boat this coming year too. -Sorry I had to vent been waiting all year to see what the new promo was very disapionted....

Ian
09-19-2008, 06:23 AM
*yawn*:ditto:

This is, without a doubt, the lamest, most ridiculous idea they've ever come up with.

Completely underwhelming and very, very dull.

KronkHere
09-19-2008, 08:26 AM
How many people will this really help out. I would imagine most people that attend WDW either have APs or stay for mulitple days and get extended day passes and/or hoppers. The additional cost from day 4 to day 5 and beyond is minimal at best. So if I buy a 7 day hopper, are they only going to charge me for a 6 day hopper.... Seems like a lot of big news grabbing promotion for nothing.

Am I missing something???

:confused:

yjgirl32
09-19-2008, 09:02 AM
this is awesome. We will be there for two events- our annicersary and my father-in-laws birthday!!!! I am so excited!!!

EpcotChic23
09-19-2008, 09:18 AM
9/10/09 is my 30th Birthday I was hopeing to go to WDW for my BDAY. With this going on I def. want to celebrate my 30th birtday there, now I just have to decide what park:thumbsup:

Roo Girl
09-19-2008, 09:25 AM
I think it's wonderful. Celebration or not, marketing or not, admit it- we're all mostly going to be in a Disney park for one reason or another so this celebration really won't make or break the fact that we're going to visit if it's in our budget. To me, I will be a Disney park at least once next year. If it's not on my birthday or DH's birthday, that's fine, but we will still get to be in the air of a grand celebration of someone else's special day. I'm SURE we will enjoy all the balloons, decorations and whatnot that will make it just one more special day in WDW for us. Of course it's marketing!!! Aside from us crazy Disney nuts, there are average Joe's out there that need the bonk of the head of a free admission into the park to remember oh, yeah, Disney, let's go!! I think we all benefit from these themed celebrations. Why not? :mickey:

TikiGoddess
09-19-2008, 09:26 AM
I, too, think this is underwhelming. But think about it this way. Before the YOAMD promotion, did Disney give anything away? From what I remember, their promotions were just a different 'theme' of their advertising for the year (or 18 mos). YOAMD was a fantastic idea... and now they follow it with something like this.... it's bound to look underwhelming. And judging from this thread, there are people who will benefit from this program.

I think Disney was smart to advertise all their little programs that people don't usually know about... like the fireworks cruises, cakes at dinner, tours, spa treatments... lots of people only know Disney for the parks. This is their way of getting the word out and gaining more revenue.

Kathy

princessesmom
09-19-2008, 10:05 AM
We are a family of 6 and will be in Disney for my son't birthday in February. We weren't planning to be there for his birthday, but I had to move our dates around to get reasonably priced airfare, so it turned out that way. I'm thrilled about the 4 fast passes per person! It is our last day in the parks, so I figure that will save us a lot of time.

For those of you who aren't happy about this, I'm sure they will still be running promotions with room discounts and free dining throughout the year. If the economy gets a lot worse, they will be running more.

When we were there in 2006, I don't remember them giving anything away for free to anyone. It was before the year of a million dreams promotion.

Anthony007
09-19-2008, 10:09 AM
I have to side with those who are not impressed. Me and my fiance both can't get time off during our birthdays, and since all of the "celebration" offerings are things that have already been available it doesn't seem that exciting. And I don't think that families are going to take their child out of school in the middle of the year to save a couple of dollars. And its not like they are saving $65, since most likely they would get some sort of pass, say a 7-day and isn't the difference between a 7-day and 6-day ticket like $3??? I agree with the previous person that it is most beneficial for Florida residents who only want to go for a single day.

Although one thing I thought was that since its only for 1 yr (and I know the Million Dreams was only suppose to be 1 yr) but maybe they are using this as a down year to something really big in 2010?

Too bad for the leap year birthday people huh?

coloradowendyl
09-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Leap Year people will be given the opportunity to celebrate either on Feb.28 or March 1.

Wendy

casey@bat
09-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Some have already pointed out that the $75 is nothing compared to your overall Disney budget. It's not about the money. It's the magic!

Some are bumbed out they won't be there during a birthday. Just celebrate while you are there anyway! Tell your kids Disney is decorating for their birthday/s. We don't always have our kid's parties on their actual birthday.

We will be there for my 36th birthday. I told my 4 yr. old daughter that Disney was throwing a big party for Mommy and the park would be decorated! Her eyes lit up! She is so excited!

That's what it's all about! Go Celebrate!:party:

Volunteer
09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
For everyone concerned about how much you only save between a 6 day and 7 day park hopper, for example like $3 - there is also the option of getting a $75 gift card to use on your birthday only. Sounds like a good alternative.

Call me a sucker, but personally I like this announcement. I've been throwing the idea around for a short/weekend trip for a while now but I've always been turned off by the inflated prices of 1 or 2 day park passes. My birthday next year falls on a Friday. I have a 1 day park hopper pass saved from a past trip, and with this I'll have two days at the park I won't be paying for (of course i will be buy souvenirs, food, hotel, etc), and I also have essentially a free flight with SW. All this adds up to a possibly of a weekend trip for me at a very reduced cost. Now 2 days isn't 4 or 5 by any means but it beats no days at all!

But, that's just my humble opinion. Anything to get back home :mickey:

casey@bat
09-19-2008, 11:42 AM
I think it would also be a great opportunity for someone with an annual pass who lives nearby to take a friend who doesn't have a pass on that friend's birthday! That could be your gift to all your friends who don't have a pass. And let your child take a friend on the friend's BD.

caryrae
09-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I don't know I think it's a neat idea. Of course Disney wants to do stuff to get people into the Parks, even if most people won't get anything out of this Celebration it still sounds fun. I don't see anything wrong with them using "Celebrations" to make money and get people to go to WDW, I am going if they do anything special that year or not.

casey@bat
09-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I just emailed these questions about the fast passes to Magical journeys:

Do the 6 people who go with me to get the passes have to be the ones to use them? We have 9 people going and we will split up to ride age appropriate rides.
Do the passes have to be used in one park?
Do the passes have to be used the same day?

I will share their answers with you. Or maybe someone on here will answer.

TracyL
09-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm with caryrae. Disney is up against it at this point - they've done a couple of "blowouts," and after you do a blowout, you still have to go on living. Not every promotion is going to be the greatest thing that's ever been done at Disney. Besides, it's early yet. Who knows what else may be coming down the pike as they get warmed up? If they are not spending piles of money on a promotion, and if that promotion generates revenue, that puts them in a good position to work on fundamentals, like refurbs on attractions or creating new ones.

This promo still gets at the heart of what YOAMD was about - Disney magic is a lot more about the look on your kid's face (or your own) when they hug a princess or get a Mickey bar than it is about seeing ten grand worth of fireworks. If "big" was all that mattered, people would pay as much to go to Universal as they do to go to Disney.

And as for not being impressed about the free birthday ticket? Well, you certainly don't have to accept it! :)

Jasper
09-19-2008, 02:37 PM
OK, this question is a little bit on topic and a little bit off topic. Also, I don't know if this was answered elsewhere and I missed it but, I would like to know if Disney has announced what the plans are for the hotel room in Cinderella's castle once the Year of a Million dreams ends? Are they going to keep it only as a room for selected VIP's or are they going to rent it out like a regular room or what?

GrumpyFan
09-19-2008, 03:26 PM
This is a brilliant marketing strategy! It should help generate some traffic.

Catzle
09-19-2008, 04:09 PM
I think a lot of people like this idea because they already have plans to go to Disney ON a birthday or live close enough to be able to go. If I lived in Florida or close enough to go for a birthday I would love this idea and go for each family member. But since we live in NY and it cost $1,200 to just fly there than this promotion is out for our family. So my point is this promotion is only good for the select people who can make it on their birthday and I would have to say a lot of people aren't going to change plans, pay thousands to go just on their birthday. So yes for those who get in free or get a free $75 it's great and I'm jealous! This promotion is useless to my family. I would rather take a chance on a fast pass that we never got in two years.

merlinmagic4
09-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Well, I think it's great but I try to be grateful for any little thing - it doesn't have to be HUGE for me to appreciate it.

We are in Disney every year on my DD's birthday and sometimes on my DS's birthday too. I think they will be THRILLED with a 75.00 gift card or fastpasses. We go during the busiest times so fastpasses are like gold (and often gone by noon).

Thanks, Disney :mickey:

Daisy'sMom
09-19-2008, 07:54 PM
I can't believe the amount of complaining about this. This is what is wrong with our society today. We think something is owed to us. For Mickey's Sake, they are giving people the opportunity to make a special day of their birthday. They don't have to do anything.
:(

justice11
09-19-2008, 08:33 PM
my youngest daughter gets her masters in may and we have planned a trip for then, now we can tell her the party is for her. :mickey:

MegaDisney
09-19-2008, 08:49 PM
I can't believe the amount of complaining about this. This is what is wrong with our society today. We think something is owed to us. For Mickey's Sake, they are giving people the opportunity to make a special day of their birthday. They don't have to do anything.

When you build up to a "First in Disney History" announcement then just give us another lame marketing scheme, there is bound to be some grumbling.

baby minnie's mommy
09-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I think there's a common misconception that just because people live in FL, they can afford to go to Disney.

We met a wonderful lady who works at a restaurant right by Disney, but her kids have never been to the parks because they can't afford it. :( But she was so cheerful and excited for us!

Even when you can afford the ticket, constantly taking time off work to take the family to Disney is just not possible. Add to that the fact that the long day wears you out, so you want to get a hotel room.

Don't get me wrong, one reason I want to stay here is our proximity to Disney. We'd probably never afford to fly down if we lived too far away.

I'm hoping there are a lot of kids whose parents are able to use this freebie to help them afford even a day trip. And for people who are going, but on a tight budget, maybe they'll finally be able to afford the character meal or special souvenir they've always wanted.

To me, it seems like a fun promotion whether or not we use the "free day." Just knowing the parks are celebrating along with you for any special occasion can make it more special! :party:

Bethanymouse
09-19-2008, 09:44 PM
What about disney world wedding? We will be getting married there summer 2009 and also honeymooning. Will there be any special promotion for that?

Pop Centurion
09-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Well said. I understand that this isn't as big as their hinted announcement made it sound, it's still a nice surprise. What other theme parks offer anything? While admit that those who can't attend on their actual BDay may feel left out, the celebration does sound like it will make everyone who is celebrating it close to the day or even something else, feel like they're included somehow. I don't say this because I'm one of the people who will actually be there on my BDay either. I really think it's a decent addition in a declining economy. As said, they don't have to do anything but they did, even if it is minimal.

Now how can I convince my girlfriend that the park will be celebrating just for me :secret:
She's gullible but not that gullible.

jpH/keD
09-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Well- I dont mean to complain...yea-free stuff for your birthday!:party: But that is it??
No big announcement about building something new?? No new park? Or adventure or nothing?

I have one word. LAME!!! Come on Disney- match your hype! :(

Tink1
09-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Um, you guys realize that this is an advertising campaign right?

This has nothing to do with future discounts.

This has nothing to do with future
attraction/park announcements.

This has nothing to do with resort expansions.

This has nothing to do with anything other than advertising. Simple, pure advertising. Gone are the galloping horses and out come the party balloons.

Personally, I thought the year of a million dreams was a worse ad campaign than this.

If you do no like it, the answer is simple - Vote with your wallet. But I will mention for people who are not disneyphiles, this will be looked at as a "WOW" a really big "WOW"

For those who do not like this, I am curious, what ADVERTISING campaign should they have done?

Nanc

Figaro
09-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Wow. Quite a campaign. I have mixed feelings on it. I do know how special it feels as a CM to make someones B-Day wish come true or to make their birthday special. I gave a birthday gift to a lil 5yr old girl who was visiting the park on her birthday. I also had quite a few fireworks cruises for birthdays. It's a smart campaign though. It may seem like a dud of a campaign, but if you think in depth and business wise, it's quite smart. I will miss the YOMD. Can't wait to see how this forms up.

Harriet
09-20-2008, 05:33 AM
This would be nice but what about those of us who can't go during our birthday. That really seems a little unfair. I would never go in July not only is it peak season but hotter then hot. My health prevents me from going at that time of the year.

casey@bat
09-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I just emailed these questions about the fast passes to Magical journeys:

Do the 6 people who go with me to get the passes have to be the ones to use them? We have 9 people going and we will split up to ride age appropriate rides.
Do the passes have to be used in one park?
Do the passes have to be used the same day?

I will share their answers with you. Or maybe someone on here will answer.

I got an answer!

This is all they know right now:
The birthday person will get a badge. Up to five people will be allowed to go in the FP line with him/her for four rides. And all of the badges could be given out by 11:00am each day.

luvdiznee
09-20-2008, 10:45 AM
so unless I'm there on my birthday, then there's nothing for me as far as this deal? Even if we come later in the year, when it won't be my B-day then still nothing to benefit from. :secret:

Catzle
09-20-2008, 11:00 AM
For those that can go on their birthday it's a great and wonderful thing. Wish I could go on my families birthdays. So for them yes this is far and beyond and a super nice thing for Disney to do. $75 is a lot of money or a free ticket is very nice, so for that Disney's advertising is a very very good one especially for those that live close by. And I am jealous we can't go during my families EXACT birthday. My thing is what about everyone else that can't go on their EXACT birthday? If you look at it that way than this advertising/promotion means nothing. But in
the end my family loves Disney and promotion or no promotion we are going! I just think an advertising gimic should include everyone in some small way.

Tink1
09-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Having a Christmas Season Baby, I understand the not wanting to go on your birthday, but that is my choice. I am still eligible to get the offer for him should I decide to change my mind. My husband and I have birthdays within 4 days of each other, so should I choose to go then, we can both participate (Columbus weekend though so I doubt we will)

Birthdays are the one thing everyone has. Not everyone is married and has an anniversary, not every child has won the little league world series, not every teen has a Bar Mitzvah or confirmation. Birthdays are one thing we all have. We may choose not to go on our birthday, but that is our choice not Disney's.

For YOMD the stars had to align properly and you had to be in the right place at the right time to win. With this, I can choose to go on my birthday or not.

I think as far as advertising campaigns go, this created BUZZ, which is its full intent. If you like it you talk about it. If you don't like it you talk about it.

The bottom line is-your talking about it so it is already a successful campaign.

Nanc

brewcrew26
09-20-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't know if this is the right place for this but I was reading elsewhere that Disney is hosting parties in cities to promote the Celebrate Vacation. I see Milwaukee is Oct. 1, but I only saw a date -- nothing about a location or time. Anyone have any other information about these and what's going to done at these events?

cardshopgirl
09-20-2008, 12:37 PM

I completely agree. Though many of these things have been offered for awhile, not everyone in the world goes to DW as much as many of us do. Not everyone knows all the perks available. And Disney is a business. They can't give away everything. A free day in the park is great! Can we all take part...no, but many will be able to I am sure and it is great for them!

Polynesian Dweller
09-20-2008, 12:57 PM
For YOMD the stars had to align properly and you had to be in the right place at the right time to win. With this, I can choose to go on my birthday or not.
Nanc
Not really. Everyone had a chance to to win in YOMD REGARDLESS of when they went to WDW. You could plan what made the most sense to you in terms of travel time, kids in school, vacation schedules at work (lots of places limit that you know and your co-workers have rights too), weather (not all of us want to travel in potentially severe winter weather in the North which affects getting in or out of your home city or hurricane season or extremely hot and humid summer weather). So, in reality there is actually a lot less choice in this than YOMD and not everything is within the control of the potential customer.

Besides, with YOMD you had the interest and potential excitement of hoping to get a prize. This new promotion is much more limiting and really restricts the number of people who will be actually able to take advantage of this. Sure, its got people talking but its only good BUZZ if it yields increased revenue. As a Disney shareholder for years (a lot more than 1 share by the way, truly an investor) I am going to have to be convinced by results that this is a good one.

Jeany031
09-20-2008, 02:03 PM
That is a great awesome Idea. I can't wait to do this next year!

Tink1
09-20-2008, 02:09 PM
But people did not plan trips with the thought that they "might" win something. They planned a trip and hoped, but did not plan a trip soley to try and win. People who otherwise would not plan, will now think of planning around their birthdays.

I am also a Disney shareholder (much, much more than one share for more than 20 years and a few splits)

So as a Disney shareholder, rather than looking at this personally, look at it from a business aspect.

Will this campaign make the ordinary Joe (not us disney junkies- the guy who has NEVER been there) go to WDW? I think it will.

Nanci

baby minnie's mommy
09-20-2008, 03:32 PM

Nanc

Which is why I like this new promo better. YOMD is a sweepstakes. Even though I do enter occasional sweepstakes, I don't like the fact that people get their hopes up then don't get anything. Making the castle suite was amazing, but I have no choice whether I can stay there, so it has little appeal to me till they open it to the public. (Hopefully one day! :cloud9:) Even FL residents like us can visit over and over and not receive anything.

At least with this one people can say "since the parks are decorated for celebrating, why don't go with the theme and center our vacation around our anniversary, graduation, etc. this year?" You could get some pictures you wouldn't otherwise have. And enjoy the special street parties and Stitch dance party. Maybe they'll change the designs on the buttons! And who knows what other secret little perks are in store, I mean they already do that.

Funny thing is that nearly everyone in my family will have b-days on Monday next year. Which means probably not going. Who wants to go on Mon. then have to work the rest of the week? That's assuming even being able to take off from work! But out of all of us, DD will turn 4 on a Sat. so maybe I can convince DH to go for that. :mickey: My point is that even as close as we live, it doesn't mean we'll be going every month for someone's birthday.

luvDaMouse
09-20-2008, 06:46 PM
What do you think they will do with Cinderella's castle suite in 2009??

casey@bat
09-20-2008, 09:22 PM
What do you think they will do with Cinderella's castle suite in 2009??

I think they should take everyone's name who celebrated a birthday in 2009 at Disney and put them in a "hat". Then draw one out. That person will get to spend the night in the castle!:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
09-20-2008, 09:35 PM
But people did not plan trips with the thought that they "might" win something. They planned a trip and hoped, but did not plan a trip soley to try and win. People who otherwise would not plan, will now think of planning around their birthdays.

I am also a Disney shareholder (much, much more than one share for more than 20 years and a few splits)

So as a Disney shareholder, rather than looking at this personally, look at it from a business aspect.

Will this campaign make the ordinary Joe (not us disney junkies- the guy who has NEVER been there) go to WDW? I think it will.

Nanci

And so do I look at it from a business aspect. I wasn't trying to do a one up thing there, but pointing out that I look at this partly from that aspect and trying to determine value. From a personal perspective, I don't actually care since I wouldn't plan any trip around such a low amount so I am not looking at this froma personal perspective at all.

My main point is, that the problem I see with this is that not everyone can plan when to go and with the birthday thing you have to plan for a specific date. With the restrictions I mentioned, my concern is how many people can do that specific planning. For those who can, its definitely advantageous but for those who can't it becomes a meaningless promotion. As much as YOMAD had its issues and was a lottery, it was one that gave everyone a chance at the lottery and you could go hoping for the best.. This promotion clearly will produce a segment that has no chance to participate.

Some won't be able to book time off work (some industries afterall limit who and when people can book off, and some choose the same two weeks for everyone to be off). Some won't be able to get the kids out of school and so on. There will be a potentially large number of people who cannot participate.

So, the open question, and here's the business aspect, that I will be looking at over the year is whether this promotion actual yields revenue. That is a very open question at this point.

casey@bat
09-20-2008, 09:57 PM
None of my friends that went to Disney during YOAMD new about it until I told them. They had already booked their trips. They did not book them because of the promotion. I went during that time too and had booked my trip way before they released the information on it.

So for me and my friends, the YOAMD promo didn't work either to get us down there. We just went because that's when we wanted to go.

When we go in June, I had planned on chilling out on my birthday and maybe heading over to MK to get a birthday pin by myself and just walk around without my 3 kids. Now my entire family will for sure be in a park. Which means we will be spending money on food, and whatever else. So this worked to get us there and get our money one more day!

PAMOUSELOVER
09-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Ok, We are planning a trip Dec. 31st till Jan.6th and for my DS 16th birthday. Do you get everything or a choice of one?

coloradowendyl
09-20-2008, 10:29 PM
You can have a choice on one on the actual birthday. You will need to provide Gov. issued ID or an original or notarized birth certificate as proof of birthdate.

Wendy

teresa955
09-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Personally, I am tired of the promotions that seem to elevate a handful of park guests and exclude others. In the YOAMD promotion there were a handful of winners each day and millions of losers. In this new promotion it may be your choice as to whether you are there on your birthday but a 5 year old may not be capable of understanding that. He/she still feels like the loser not getting the special attention.

InLikeSin
09-21-2008, 02:33 PM
My husband and I will be there for my birthday :thumbsup: What kinds of decorations and street parties are they having?

thatkindofday
09-21-2008, 07:09 PM
I believe I'm in the minority, but I'm excited about this. I never won anything for the YOAMD promotion, but I'll be going into the park on my birthday for free and get a giftcard to use. I think it's cool.

danicafan
09-21-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm excited about this. Already had my 40th birthday celebration planned and have my Multi-day tickets so I will be so excited to get the gift card and buy something special on my special day to always remember I spent my 40th birthday celebrating with my family at Walt Disney World --my most favorite place ever!!

Catzle
09-21-2008, 08:09 PM
" I'll be going into the park on my birthday for free and get a giftcard to use"

Unless I am not understanding you only get one, either a free pass into the park for the day or a $75 gift card, not both.

But I would love to get either, and wish I could, I would love a $75 gift card! Too bad I can't go on my birthday!

BIGDOG
09-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Um, you guys realize that this is an advertising campaign right?

This has nothing to do with future discounts.

This has nothing to do with future
attraction/park announcements.

This has nothing to do with resort expansions.

This has nothing to do with anything other than advertising. Simple, pure advertising. Gone are the galloping horses and out come the party balloons.

Personally, I thought the year of a million dreams was a worse ad campaign than this.

If you do no like it, the answer is simple - Vote with your wallet. But I will mention for people who are not disneyphiles, this will be looked at as a "WOW" a really big "WOW"

For those who do not like this, I am curious, what ADVERTISING campaign should they have done?

Nanc

It never was a problem with the tickets I always thought tickets were very well priced. I think they should have done somthing special really special with room rates. The room rates is what always kills me. Maybe like stay over 7 night get 3 free or some crazy thing like that. I take my gang to Disney we need 2 rooms for 10 nights. Just think opf what 20 room night totals? We only go to the parks maybe 6 or 7 time out of the 10 day stay trim the room rates and you would have been doing a real promo Mickey

Tink1
09-22-2008, 01:17 AM
It never was a problem with the tickets I always thought tickets were very well priced. I think they should have done somthing special really special with room rates. The room rates is what always kills me. Maybe like stay over 7 night get 3 free or some crazy thing like that. I take my gang to Disney we need 2 rooms for 10 nights. Just think opf what 20 room night totals? We only go to the parks maybe 6 or 7 time out of the 10 day stay trim the room rates and you would have been doing a real promo Mickey

Disney did the Fairytale packages a few years ago (prior to free dining). They were buy 4 get 3 nights free and the following year was buy 5 get 2 nights free.

We have no clue what promotions Disney will do for 2009 yet.

Nanc

caryrae
09-22-2008, 08:45 AM
What do they do at the Cities during the Tour around the Country. I see they are stopping near where I live in a few days but it doesn't say where exactly they will be or what they do.

http://www.disneyparkscelebrations.com/tour-schedule.aspx

Imagineer1981
09-22-2008, 10:15 AM
very cool...but I wonder how many people actually can plan around a birthday. Alot of guests go during the summer because of school/work and would be hard to go for those, lets say, Jan birthdays or Nov.

Spaceship Tigger
09-22-2008, 12:12 PM
very cool...but I wonder how many people actually can plan around a birthday. Alot of guests go during the summer because of school/work and would be hard to go for those, lets say, Jan birthdays or Nov.

This is why I must agree with others that this is a poor promotion. I thought YOAMD was kind of silly, but at least it gave guests the ability to take part in the promotion at all times of year.

I would also have to believe that a fair number of people would arrive at WDW having not heard much about the promotion and would not have thought to bring birth certificates for their children.

InLikeSin
09-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I am having a hard time understanding why the majority of the people posting here are giving off the feeling that Disney owes them something. I've never read anywhere that they are under contract to give each and every person a big reward each year. Can't we be happy for those that will be able to take advantage of all this extra magic on their big days? And for those who's dates don't match up be greatfull your still going to Disney!!!:D

caryrae
09-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't know why it's a poor promotion just because not everyone can make it on their birthday. What happened to the days when they didn't need to give people free stuff and they just had different celebrations/themes every couple of years. I guess maybe Disney should just not give away stuff anymore since it makes some unhappy. Can't imagine how much it will cost them to give day passes or $75 gift cert to people. I would guess there will be people getting these prizes everyday with the amount of people visiting the parks daily.

OleDoleDoffin
09-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Eh. We're going in 2009, as it happens, to celebrate my 40th birthday. :party: But although our dates aren't yet set in stone, we know we won't be able to be there on my actual birthday. So I won't be able to get any of the freebies. But you know, I was planning to go anyway, and it doesn't upset me that I'm not going to get something more than what I expected...

I'm just going to tell the rest of the group that all the decorations are just for me :thumbsup:

brad192
09-22-2008, 01:50 PM
The problem I have with this new promotion is that, with the exception of the free pass/gift card/FP, there's really nothing "new" about it. The Disney marketing crew have simply put a different spin on what was always offered. They're promoting the heck out of things like bass fishing, parasailing, golf, RPDE, etc. like they're brand new things being offered just for this promotion, when in reality they've been available all along. Seems to me that they've found a way to promote the parks without actually having to lay out any real amount of capital. In other words - "We got nothin', YOU think of a reason to visit!":ack:

Soul_Power
09-22-2008, 03:51 PM
This is SO cool! I know there's a version of this being done at Disneyland too (which is much closer to home for me - I live in California), but I wish I could spend my birthday at WDW instead! We have a trip planned for December 2009, and my birthday is in May, so hopefully I could convince my boyfriend to take me to Disneyland for my Disney fix! :mickey:

Catzle
09-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Quote "I am having a hard time understanding why the majority of the people posting here are giving off the feeling that Disney owes them something. I've never read anywhere that they are under contract to give each and every person a big reward each year. Can't we be happy for those that will be able to take advantage of all this extra magic on their big days? And for those who's dates don't match up be greatfull your still going to Disney!!!:D" End Quote
I don't think any one on this board has said that Disney owes them something. Your right Disney owes nothing to nobody but I also don't think people expect to be given anything. I think the thing is this promotion is not for everyone where as Year of a Million Dreams everyone who walked through the turnstile had a chance to partake and maybe win a fast pass or a special moment. But with this promotion it's only if you come on your exact birthday. I for one never expected or expect Disney to owe me anything, why would I? Disney is our families choice of vacation because of our love for Disney not because we are looking for a free gift!

InLikeSin
09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Didn't mean to offened I just don't understand complaining about a free bonus.

Goes4FastPass
09-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Of course this is a lame promotion. How many people (except Intercot fanatics like us) every go to a Disney Park by themeslves.

So if you're a family of 4 it's unh. buy 3 get 1 free unless you're there for several days - the only sort of WDW stay Disney is promoting with their MYW cost structure. So take the cost of 4 5 day MYW tickets and Mom's, well hers can be a 4 day ticket because the second day of our trip is her birthday!!!!!! Yipee!!!!! We saved 4 bucks!!!!

casey@bat
09-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Of course this is a lame promotion. How many people (except Intercot fanatics like us) every go to a Disney Park by themeslves.

So if you're a family of 4 it's unh. buy 3 get 1 free unless you're there for several days - the only sort of WDW stay Disney is promoting with their MYW cost structure. So take the cost of 4 5 day MYW tickets and Mom's, well hers can be a 4 day ticket because the second day of our trip is her birthday!!!!!! Yipee!!!!! We saved 4 bucks!!!!

That's why you choose the fast passes or the $75 in merchandise. :cool:

Catzle
09-23-2008, 06:28 PM
If I could go on my birthday I would take the $75 gift card. How great would that be!

Melanie
09-23-2008, 07:32 PM
What do they do at the Cities during the Tour around the Country. I see they are stopping near where I live in a few days but it doesn't say where exactly they will be or what they do.

WHAT: Disney Parks "What Will You Celebrate?" Tour :balloon:

BACKGROUND: In a new national trend, American families are traveling in celebration of milestones in their lives - birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, reunions, triumphs. Disney parks in the U.S. embrace "celebration vacations" in 2009 with new experiences that turn milestones into memories. The new parks-wide party poses the question "What Will You Celebrate?" To get the party started early, Disney is taking "What Will You Celebrate?" on the road.

DETAILS: Disney Parks brings the "What Will You Celebrate?" message in a magical and interactive way to 30 cities this fall and winter. Colorful vehicles "a party on wheels" roll out the fun from town squares to Times Square, featuring thousands of free Mickey Mouse balloons, a chance to win a "celebration vacation" to a Disney park and the opportunity to register for a special birthday celebration surprise at Registration Stations powered by HP. Disney characters and ambassadors also go on-air with fun celebration moments.

WHEN: Sept. 24, 2008-Feb. 20, 2009

WHERE:

Eastern
9/24 Toronto
9/29 Boston
10/1 Providence
10/3 New York
10/6 Hartford
10/8 Philadelphia
10/10 Washington DC
10/13 Baltimore
10/15 Charlotte
10/17 Atlanta

Central
9/25 Minneapolis
9/29 Chicago
10/1 Milwaukee
10/3 Detroit
10/6 Pittsburgh
10/8 Cincinnati
10/10 Indianapolis
10/14 Dallas
10/16 Houston
10/20 New Orleans

Western
1/19 Vancouver
1/21 Seattle
1/23 Portland
1/26, 1/27 Sacramento
1/30, 2/2 San Fransisco
2/4, 2/5 Fresno
2/9 Las Vegas
2/11 Salt Lake City
2/16 Denver
2/19, 2/20 Phoenix

FOR MORE: www.disneyparkscelebrations.com

GoBlueLacheta
09-24-2008, 10:54 AM
:mickey: The 2009 Birthday Celebration Announcement was on my birthday

ojeilatan
09-24-2008, 09:14 PM
I was so happy to hear about this! My younger sister asked for a WDW next June as her High School graduation gift. (it's going to be a girls' trip, myself, my sister, my mother, and her sister.)
My mother and I have been reading about the decoration packages - I'm willing to bet there's a graduation one. We would love to call ahead and have the room decorated for her when we arrive! Hopefully it will not be too expensive....but it is Disney.;)
It (on disney's official site) also said 'surprises' are included in these packages - any word on what those may be?

harlowandthemermaid
09-24-2008, 09:41 PM
WHAT: Disney Parks "What Will You Celebrate?" Tour :balloon:

BACKGROUND: In a new national trend, American families are traveling in celebration of milestones in their lives - birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, reunions, triumphs. Disney parks in the U.S. embrace "celebration vacations" in 2009 with new experiences that turn milestones into memories. The new parks-wide party poses the question "What Will You Celebrate?" To get the party started early, Disney is taking "What Will You Celebrate?" on the road.

DETAILS: Disney Parks brings the "What Will You Celebrate?" message in a magical and interactive way to 30 cities this fall and winter. Colorful vehicles "a party on wheels" roll out the fun from town squares to Times Square, featuring thousands of free Mickey Mouse balloons, a chance to win a "celebration vacation" to a Disney park and the opportunity to register for a special birthday celebration surprise at Registration Stations powered by HP. Disney characters and ambassadors also go on-air with fun celebration moments.

WHERE:

Eastern
9/24 Toronto
9/29 Boston
10/1 Providence
10/3 New York
10/6 Hartford
10/8 Philadelphia
10/10 Washington DC
10/13 Baltimore
10/15 Charlotte
10/17 Atlanta

Central
9/25 Minneapolis
9/29 Chicago
10/1 Milwaukee
10/3 Detroit
10/6 Pittsburgh
10/8 Cincinnati
10/10 Indianapolis
10/14 Dallas
10/16 Houston
10/20 New Orleans

Western
1/19 Vancouver
1/21 Seattle
1/23 Portland
1/26, 1/27 Sacramento
1/30, 2/2 San Fransisco
2/4, 2/5 Fresno
2/9 Las Vegas
2/11 Salt Lake City
2/16 Denver
2/19, 2/20 Phoenix

Thanks for posting this! I had a friend ask me about this today. I think we are going to the event in Baltimore once we figure out exactly where it is.

SpecJoe Magic
09-28-2008, 03:37 AM
So the celebration this time around isn't as good as some of you hoped it would be? So what! I don't understand the complaining that's going on in this thread. Sure, the promotion isn't all that great, but how exactly does that hurt you if you aren't there on your birthday? Will it make your visit any less magical? I will likely never be there on my birthday, but it doesn't bother me. I've never won anything during the YOAMD, but I've never condemned it, and I'm not going to condemn this new celebration either. This is only the third time in WDW history that I can ever recall Disney giving anything away for free as part of a celebration (15 Years, YOAMD, Celebration Vacations). Some free stuff for some people is better than nothing, right? Why complain about it? Everyone won't get to take advantage of it, but the vast majority of guests don't receive any prizes during the YOAMD either. This new celebration doesn't seem much different. It's just a different way of determining the winners. I admit that the prizes during this new celebration aren't nearly as spectacular as some of the prizes during the YOAMD, but Disney shouldn't be expected to offer prizes of that caliber every year. They haven't offered any prizes at all most years. This is the kind of thing that shouldn't impact your travel plans if you are planning on going anyway, and it might entice some people to go that don't normally go. I'm happy for those that can take advantage of it. I realize that Disney is putting an advertising spin on some things that have been offered for years by trying to make them appear to be new attractions, but a lot of businesses do that. It's a way for Disney to promote these offerings to people who don't know about them. There are a lot of people that don't realize the scope of what WDW offers.

This celebration doesn't mean we won't be seeing any exciting new developments in the near future.

I'm happy to still be able to go regardless of whether or not there is a celebration.

caryrae
09-29-2008, 09:48 AM
I saw a TV commercial this morning for the 1st time for this Celebration, it was nice.

Diznee4Me
09-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Remember why you are going to the parks, for the love of Disney and, in my case, spend time with family and friends.

I don't go for the promotions, I haven't ever won anything but at the same time, if something great happened to me/us while there, that would be great.

Bottom line, just go and have fun. For those that can take advantage of next years celebration :thumbsup:, those who can't remember why you go in the first place.:mickey:

PrincessEllie'sMommy
09-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Does anyone know how to find out the location and time of the events?

caryrae
09-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know how to find out the location and time of the events?

Is this what you are talking about? http://www.disneyparkscelebrations.com/tour-schedule.aspx

Just click on a mickey head or one of the cities listed. There is also pictures and video of the first stop in Toronto. Pics and video don't really show much.

PrincessEllie'sMommy
09-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Is this what you are talking about? http://www.disneyparkscelebrations.com/tour-schedule.aspx

Just click on a mickey head or one of the cities listed. There is also pictures and video of the first stop in Toronto. Pics and video don't really show much.

No, the actual time.

caryrae
09-29-2008, 01:00 PM
No, the actual time.

Sorry I saw you asked for location too. I can't find anything about times anywhere hopefully someone else knows.

casey@bat
09-29-2008, 07:04 PM
It only shows the city. We can't find out where it will be in that city or the time.:confused:

coloradowendyl
09-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Here is the schedule again...Melanears posted it a few pages back and it probably got buried:

WHAT: Disney Parks "What Will You Celebrate?" Tour

WHERE:

Eastern
9/24 Toronto
9/29 Boston
10/1 Providence
10/3 New York
10/6 Hartford
10/8 Philadelphia
10/10 Washington DC
10/13 Baltimore
10/15 Charlotte
10/17 Atlanta

Central
9/25 Minneapolis
9/29 Chicago
10/1 Milwaukee
10/3 Detroit
10/6 Pittsburgh
10/8 Cincinnati
10/10 Indianapolis
10/14 Dallas
10/16 Houston
10/20 New Orleans

Western
1/19 Vancouver
1/21 Seattle
1/23 Portland
1/26, 1/27 Sacramento
1/30, 2/2 San Fransisco
2/4, 2/5 Fresno
2/9 Las Vegas
2/11 Salt Lake City
2/16 Denver
2/19, 2/20 Phoenix

Wendy

caryrae
09-30-2008, 08:43 AM
It only shows the city. We can't find out where it will be in that city or the time.:confused:

It does show where in the cities as it get closer to the date. Like if you click on Cincinnati it says it will be at Fountain Square. It would be nice if they did have a time.

ChipDale2708
09-30-2008, 03:56 PM
It does show where in the cities as it get closer to the date. Like if you click on Cincinnati it says it will be at Fountain Square. It would be nice if they did have a time.

I would love to know the exact time as well. The Hartford location is just around the corner from my office building. I saw a post about Boston and I believe it was from 12p-5p.

PrincessEllie'sMommy
10-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out and hope for the best. We would love to go!

ljv1975
10-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I was able to find out the time for the event in Pittsburgh by going to the website where it is being held. (SouthSide Works). Their website said that the it is being held here from 4-6 pm.

Maybe if you can call the location where they are coming in your city, they would be able to give you more information? You could also try looking it up on a local webpage. Good luck!

big blue and hairy
10-02-2008, 04:39 PM
4 fastpasses per person per party of up to 6 guests.I was glad to hear about the $75 merchandise card. Being an annual pass holder, the free tickets weren't much good.

:sulley:

wilcat
10-09-2008, 10:18 AM
I have been reading the various posts and opinions (for and against) about the new "Celebration" promotion. I will not be there for my birthday nor my husbands but when we go in October 2009 we will celebrate those birthdays and our anniversary just as we have every time we have gone. The promotions that Disney have done does not influence our decision to vacation there, it is the overall atmosphere of everyday celebrating at WDW that makes our trips special. So for those of you who will be there on your birthdays you will get a little "extra" something that day but for those of us who won't we will be celebrating just the same. So I don't feel slighted or upset because I didn't get something but I would hope that the additional discounts that will be released during the coming year will be beneficial to everyone.

DisneyBabies
10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
I have just finished reading all of these threads and I have to agree that I don't understand all the negative comments about this promotion.
DH and I planned an anniversary trip in April 2007 during YOAMD and that had nothing to do with why we went during that time. Yes, it would have been nice to at least win a set of YOAMD ears, but the celebration (and magic) was just as great for us the way it was. We didin't feel like "winning" something would make or break our trip.
We made the decision in February 2008 to take our DS to WDW for his 5th birthday in Feb 2009. We are taking him out of school (which I know can be a hot topic, but not the one this thread is focused on) because we wanted him to be AT WDW ON his birthday. We haven't told him anything about this promotion, so getting the giftcard will be a huge surprise for him. But even if Disney had done nothing this year, it would not make our trip any less magical.
We will never make a decision to go on a trip because of a promotion that a company has come up with. We make a decision based on what WE are celebrating. If we can take advantage of the promotion. . .great; If not, that isn't going to change our plans at all.
Disney was right that one thing we all have in common is a birthday, but we also have one more thing in common. Everyone has a choice about whether to be at Disney on their birthday. I understand about employment rules prohibiting vacation time and things like that, but it is still our choice. If you have a job like that (which my DH does), then non-Disney influences are what is preventing you from going on your birthday and the blame should not be placed on Disney that you can't take advantage of the promotion like others can.
And as for this promotion being boring or lame, for some people, this is a better promotion that YOAMD because (if you go on your birthday) you are certain to "win" something (free admission, fastpasses or the giftcard). Be happy for those who can take advantage of this promotion.
And really, is not being able to get in free going to ruin any trip you take to WDW next year?

r4kids
10-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Can we go to a downtown Disney location or does it have to be a park? DD7 will turn 8 the day before we arrive so we are planning to leave a day early. We didn't plan to go to the parks that day but will visit DTD.

r4kids
10-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Can we go to a downtown Disney location or does it have to be a park? DD7 will turn 8 the day before we arrive so we are planning to leave a day early. We didn't plan to go to the parks that day but will visit DTD.

(add)To get the $75 gift card for our daughter? Does she have to spend it that day or over the course of a few days?

tinktude
10-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Can anyone tell me if this applies to the cruise line also? We are going to disney Oct29-Nov8 2009, but will be on the cruise ship on my sons birthday. I was wondering if we can get the same deal on the cruise.

LuvsTigger80
10-23-2008, 06:34 PM
so i have a question... i've already signed my son up for this promotion. we will be in the world for his birthday. he will turn 3 during our trip, which means since he is 2 upon checkin, he does not need tickets to get into the parks for our trip. Can i get the gift card or fast passes instead?:mickey:

baby minnie's mommy
10-24-2008, 11:54 AM
(add)To get the $75 gift card for our daughter? Does she have to spend it that day or over the course of a few days?

I checked the Disney website, and it says that children would receive a gift card equal to a child's ticket amount - it's not a flat $75 for all ages.

And yes, she would have to spend it that day or forfeit the remaining amount. No cash back will be given.

:mickey:

mainemajor
10-28-2008, 07:50 PM
We'rebooked for DW's BD in January :mickey:. Yea, Happy Birthday to her!

Jeany031
11-02-2008, 11:21 AM
That's awesome! I can't to do that for my birthday next year!

jrpersinger
11-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Forgive me if this has been asked before and if it is in the wrong location. But I am curious, if you are booking a vacation package, do you get anything special since you can not take advantage of the get in free deal?

TIA!

caryrae
11-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Guests who attend WDW on the day of their birthdays will be offered a special gift during 2009. The choices:

4 fastpasses per person per party of up to 6 guests.

Nanci

I just heard you don't get the 4 fastpass deal but you get an all day 1 park fastpass, is this true or is the 4 fastpass deal true?

I read this on the Disney website:

Q: I am a Passholder (or have a valid Multi-Day Ticket or a Seasonal Pass that I will use for admission on my birthday in 2009), so I don't need to take advantage of this offer. If I register, is there anything else I could receive on my birthday?

A: Yes, you have several options which are available for you to select once you arrive at the Park with your confirmation message and your proper ID. You can receive:

A birthday fun card in an amount equal to the price of a 1-day Magic Your Way base ticket* for you to use on your birthday for merchandise, recreation or fun activities at select participating locations at Walt Disney World® Resort; or
A special birthday FASTPASS® badge+ for certain attractions at the Theme Park you visit on your birthday; or
A 1-day Magic Your Way base ticket for you to use any time until your next birthday.
*Ticket price at gate, excluding tax. Adults receive card in the amount of an adult ticket; children (ages 3-9) receive card in the amount of a child ticket. For terms and conditions of the card and details on participating locations, click here.

+The number of birthday FASTPASS badges issued is limited and may not be available after 11am. Valid Theme Park admission required. FASTPASS for birthday celebrant and up to 5 members of his/her party.

Tink1
11-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Disney changes and re-evaluates many things, so the news that came out in Sept may well be obsolete. Best thing to do is find out when you get there.

Nanc

caryrae
11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Do you have any idea what they mean by special Burthday Fastpass badge? Does it mean you can use it on any FP ride at 1 park all day long as many times as you want or just once per FP ride at that Park?

Beast_fanatic
11-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Something that I saw somewhere made me think it would be similar to the Dream Fast Passes they've been awarding during the million dreams promotion where you'd get one fast pass on each of the designated rides (they get torn off as they are used up).

tinktude
11-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Does anyone know if something like this applies to the cruise line as well? We will be in disney before and after the cruise, but will be on the ship on my DS birthday.

stitchaholic
12-15-2008, 05:20 PM
i would also like to know if they would honor peoples birthdays that are withen range as i tried to book for my daughter's birthday,but they had no availability then,so we are there 5 days before...anyone know if we can work around this?:secret:

caryrae
12-15-2008, 05:28 PM
It only works if you go on the day of the birthday.

caryrae
12-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I just received the new planning dvd for the Celebrate You celebration in the mail to day.:D

djbinding
12-26-2008, 11:17 PM
I just submitted the application for the 2009 "Celebrate Your Birthday Deal."

It only really mentions getting a free one day pass at the "Will Call Window." What about receiving the $70 merchandise voucher. I'm getting a multi day Park Hopper Pass, so the free day won't really mean much. How do I get the merchandise voucher instead???:confused:

DisneyBabies
12-27-2008, 03:25 PM
When you go to will call, just let them know that you already have a ticket for that day, and they will give you either a merchandise voucher or the fast passes. You choose which one you want.

Minnie's Northern Friend
12-31-2008, 12:13 PM
perhaps I am missing something here-- I wasn't aware of what the deals were-- Does anyone have the full details??

We already have 7 day passes and were planning to return them for a refund for the twins and getting them 6 day passes... but they can get something else?? Can someone explain??

AXOAlum
01-09-2009, 10:30 PM
We are going for DD's first birthday :mickey: I know the ticket/voucher options will be out, but do you think we could still get the FP badge? DH's birthday is six days prior to our trip - it just turns out to be too much work to rearrange everything to back our trip up a week.

BTW, we are going to Chef Mickey's for her first birthday (at breakfast). Anything else special that we should do? (eta - this isn't her first trip - we went for her 6 month "birthday" heehee)

Iluvpooh
01-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Okay-We are taking my Nephew with us this trip and his birthday does fall during our trip dates. What do we need to do. I signed him up on the Disney Website-Is that all we need to do? He will be 6 he does have a passport. Will we need to bring that? Getting a Birth Certificate from his Mom (ex sister in-law) would be a nightmare!! The only other person who could get it would be my brother and he is stationed in Norway right now.

Beast_fanatic
01-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Yes, bring the piece of paper you got when you registered him and his passport, and you'll be set. There are special celebration windows set up where you will show those items to get whatever option you are choosing.

Disney Yankee
01-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Anyone know what happens when you celebrate something other than your birthday? My Husband and I will celebrate our 20th anniversary this year at WDW.:cheers:

Beast_fanatic
01-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Anyone know what happens when you celebrate something other than your birthday? My Husband and I will celebrate our 20th anniversary this year at WDW.:cheers:

The only designated freebies with the Celebrate You promotion are for birthdays. With anniversaries, receiving anything special is completely arbitrary. I would suggest having your occasion noted on your room reservation as well as on any advanced dining reservations as you might get something special if you do so (no guarantees though). You can also get a button for your special occasion (the resorts usually have them, or you can get them at Guest Relations at the parks) that may get you some extra attention if you wear it.

pixiesmimi
01-19-2009, 10:11 PM
We are also going on our Anniversary, our 40th, in August and leaving just before DH's birthday, bummer! But we wore our buttons last time we went on our anniversary and let them know on our reservation and got a few freebies and good things. Good luck and congratulations!

Disney Yankee
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll make sure we get our buttons and let them know about the anniversary when we make reservations!!!:)

epceddie
01-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Has anyone taken advantage of the offer to visit a park for free on their birthday?

How does it work? Do you have to register somewhere? Do you just walk up to the gate and show your ID?

Just wondering, because my wife will be celebrating her birthday on our next trip.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-23-2009, 01:17 AM
You need to register online in advance, and then you bring your ID to the will call window where you will be issued a voucher for admission. I believe it is only good for one person, not the whole family so you would still need to purchase a ticket.

epceddie
01-23-2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the info.

NotaGeek
01-23-2009, 03:05 AM
Has anyone taken advantage of the offer to visit a park for free on their birthday?

How does it work? Do you have to register somewhere? Do you just walk up to the gate and show your ID?

Just wondering, because my wife will be celebrating her birthday on our next trip.
You can get the official word on the Disney Parks website (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneyparks/en_US/WhatWillYouCelebrate/index?name=FreeOnYourBirthdayPage&bhcp=1) .. click HERE for the site. :mickey:

Goofster
01-28-2009, 03:24 PM
DS will be celebrating his 4th birthday while we are down next week, it just so happens that we go during his birthday every year, this year will be extra special for him. I think it is a terrific promotion and something he will remember for a very long time.No, not everyone will be able to take advantage of it, but as with a Year of a Million Dreams, not everyone would be chosen. Disney does a great job of making each and every person feel special during every visit and this is just an extra-special bonus.

murphy1
01-29-2009, 01:27 PM
I am doing it next month, but a friend of our's did it a couple weeks ago. You go up to the designated window at each park. He said the line was really long and they had one person working it. I am not sure what time they open this window to start. I am excited about the FPs and single rider lines, shouldn't have to wait for anything and can maybe go on some things twice. Jessica, you should come over to Epcot that day and ride Mission Space with me!