PDA

View Full Version : First Date Help...

julian
09-18-2008, 02:07 AM
I'm taking a girl I know out on a first date in college. Would taking her to a really nice place (15-20$ per person) creep her out, should I tone it down?

I guess if there are women reading this... it would be more helpful, all opinions are welcome though. :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
09-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Define really nice place? Around these parts, $15-20 is Chili's which I wouldn't consider a really nice place. Not a bad choice, but when I think really nice place, that's a little less than the tip...

First date I took my SO to a nice French restaurant... Cost about $150 and that was a number of years ago. Honestly, it was a little stuff, they "swept" up the crumbs off the table in between courses.

For a first date, I'd probably go someplace like a Chili's, Friday, or local equivalent. Takes a little of the pressure off since there's probably a lot going on.

RenDuran
09-18-2008, 07:18 AM
I can't imagine a girl getting creeped out by a really nice place, unless it's extremely pretentious. Going to McDonalds and Wendys anymore is $5-$7 each, so I can't imagine that a place charging $15-$20 would be too much farther up the snob scale.

I went to my husbands house for potato soup for our first date, and that was 16 years ago.

Do what feels right for you. Don't put on airs for a chick!

mickeys_princess_mom
09-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Absolutely be yourself. She wants to know what you are really like. Take her to one of your favorite places where you think she will also be comfortable. Have fun!:mickey:

LauraF
09-18-2008, 09:03 AM
You need to be yourself on a first date. There's nothing worse then catching the girl because you pretended to be something you're not. That's not an excuse to slack off - you need to be on your 'A' game - but don't work so hard to impress her that you become fake.

Trust me - most women can see through that in a heartbeat.

In college, one of my BF's cooked me spaghetti in the kitchen in the basement of the dorm for a date and we ate there. That could have creeped a lot of girls out, but we had been friends for some time first so he knew it would be okay. (This was one of those friends then dating things.)

Little Round Bale
09-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Just my opinion but I would take her to one of your favorite places. Not a sports bar where you have to yell at each other over the table. Something with vareity on the menu instead of speciality. Your in college and pennies are few, most times the simplest things are the best. Not to expensive some where you can both get to know each other.

Have a great time :thumbsup:

Putt putt golf...is good too :golf:

SBETigg
09-18-2008, 10:14 AM
I would be impressed with being taken to a really nice place and not at all creeped out. Consider the atmosphere and if it sets the right tone and don't worry about the prices, as long as it's affordable for you. Women/girls don't really dwell on the cost (in this case) as much as on getting the right vibe, both from you and from the atmosphere. Best wishes with your date!

3AMommy
09-18-2008, 11:04 AM
I say ambiance is key. Sets the tone for the evening. I would have been totally uptight and nervous in a fancy place when I was in college. Something casual and fun. Maybe something with an activity. Show her that you are thinking of her and want her to have a great time.

The fact that you are asking for advice shows how thoughtful you are. You sound totally sweet, and I sure it will be a wonderful date, no matter where you eat.

Have fun, and remember that we are sending pixie dust your way...:pixie:

3AMommy

Disney Doll
09-18-2008, 11:40 AM
You've got plenty of great advice so far. I'd prefer a casual place and your price range sounds okay to me. I wouldn't feel as comfortable if I were at a fancy place. For our first date DH cooked me dinner at his apartment. It was cheap, but also thoughtful.

LauraleeH
09-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Chili's and Olive Garden is good, but will make you smell awful. Just a thought...

I'd go with something you like and think she'll like. Not cheap, not expensive. And take her to a movie or ice-skating or something like that after. I went ice-skating on my very first date and I LOVED it, even if the jerk did break up with me (lol).

thrillme
09-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Resturants are expensive these days.

Fridays, Chilies, OR "Buffalo Wild Wings" (you can play those little trivia games...help break the first date awkardness).

DisneyWhirled
09-18-2008, 12:56 PM
C'mon ladies...first date....

She'll probably order a salad anyway! :)

DH reminds me of one of our first dates 17 years ago at Pizza Hut :). He had a loaded meat pizza and I had a "small salad, please".

I didn't want to seem like a piglet, and didn't want my meal to be more $ than his!

Don't take her to Pizza Hut, though!! We were very young and didn't have much $$.

Hope you find some place that you can both enjoy and give us a date report after!

Enjoy!

RenDuran
09-18-2008, 01:01 PM

Very true!

Mousefever
09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Resturants are expensive these days.

Fridays, Chilies, OR "Buffalo Wild Wings" (you can play those little trivia games...help break the first date awkardness).

I'd skip the wings although the trivia games sound fun. You don't want to do something really messy! Also, don't order anything with pesto, or other small cut up herbs.

Good luck!

pink
09-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Be youself and if you're going to give her a compliment make it sincere, we can tell when you're just trying to flatter us.

Dinner sounds like a good first date to get to know each other, but another good first date idea would be showing her something you like to do like someone else said or doing something adventureous and spontaneous. :mickey:

PirateLover
09-18-2008, 08:49 PM
I think a standard chain restaurant would be fine. You don't know what she eats, so you don't want to go anywhere weird. I went on a first date to Chile's when I was 15 soo.. yea I don't think it should be a problem for a college girl

thrillme
09-19-2008, 12:53 PM

I couldn't help but think of Zap Brannigan (for any of you who watch Futurama). Zap orders a steak for himself and a couple of lite salads for the ladies.

I'd skip the wings although the trivia games sound fun. You don't want to do something really messy! Also, don't order anything with pesto, or other small cut up herbs.

Good luck!

Actually at Buffalo Wild Wings (I don't know about other places) they have several options other than wings...like ribs :thedolls: But the Trivia is fun.

crazypoohbear
09-19-2008, 01:44 PM
My DH took me to McDonald's on our first date and I ordered the happy meal! I still have the plastic watch that I got as the give away in the box somewhere! That was 29 Years ago Way back when you got change back from your dollar!
Now he won't take me anywhere!!!!
Point is, take her where you can afford and where you will both be comfy. That is what she will feel most comfortable with. back then Mc'd's was what we could afford.
If you spend too much money she will feel uncomfortable and it could fall into the old trap of "what is he expecting for this lobster dinner?"

Minnie Imagineer
09-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I think a Cheesecake Factory type place would be good- or even something cheaper.
Another idea is to make sandwiches and have a late picnic by a lake or something. If you don't know what she likes than you can invite her over to make stuff before the picnic together.

good luck! :thumbsup:

RenDuran
09-20-2008, 09:03 AM
When is your date, anyway?

WDWFREAK101
09-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Remember, never ever EVER leave the restaraunt without her! Made that mistake once...... :shake: :thumbsup:

julian
09-21-2008, 07:10 PM
It was last week. Took her to a small restaurant around here. Word is she likes me a lot, except she she acts really awkward whenever we meet. TIme will tell I guess, I know this isn't a dating help website.

RenDuran
09-21-2008, 08:31 PM
I've discovered this site can be almost anything you want it to be!

Glad to hear she likes you....lots of people are awkward at first....just give it some time.

PirateLover
09-22-2008, 05:07 PM
It was last week. Took her to a small restaurant around here. Word is she likes me a lot, except she she acts really awkward whenever we meet. TIme will tell I guess, I know this isn't a dating help website.

She probably IS awkward. New relationships are exciting but also nerve wracking. You don't want to say the wrong thing to get everything off to a bad start. I sure don't miss that phase...

Kennywife
09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
It was really fun! We had grilled hot dogs, burgers, chips, and soda. Went to the park afterwards.

Anna

Rhetoric2000
09-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I always find that the best option is to find something to collude on. Whether it's a game of mixed doubles tennis or trying to hunt down a rare shopping item that one of you wants. It makes people relax, and when you settle down to talk you have something natural to talk about.

How about simply going for a walk - a classic without being corny.

Mostly make sure that you enjoy yourself. Learn to be comfortable, as it's only then that she'll stop being anxious - it's a reciprocal thing.

Best wishes.

Cinderelley
09-30-2008, 04:36 AM
Only do what you are willing to continue doing - whatever that may be for you. Don't set her up to expect one thing, when in reality it will be somthing else.