PDA

View Full Version : Misson Space

Belster
09-17-2008, 11:35 PM
So my DH wants to take my tall DS3 on this ride. I can recall that some say you get sick:sick: on it. Any opinions? I am worried that this ride will be way too intense for my DS3?!

andreallybadeggs
09-17-2008, 11:57 PM
It was almost too intense for me. I was glad I tried it but once was enough-- only theme park attraction I've ever seen with air sick bags available. There are, however, 2 versions of MS.
Follow the green line and you'll get the tamer version of the ride.

kakn7294
09-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Like the previous poster said, the green side is not as intense but I think it's still too much for a 3 yo. The good news for you is that the ride has a height restriction of 44 inches so the average 3 yo would be too short. Unless you have an exceptionally tall 3 yo, he won't be allowed on.

threeh
09-18-2008, 08:46 AM
My DD who is 5 loves to ride MS. She just tried the orange side last trip, but before that we stuck with green. I want to say she was 4 the first time she went on, so you may have to check if your little one makes the height requirement. I get motion sick really easy and the non spinning side doesn't bother me. :mickey:

SBETigg
09-18-2008, 09:07 AM
It's a judgment call, provided your child is tall enough. Would I bring my three-year-old on the ride? No. But you may feel differently. Sometimes kids surprise us and handle things like they're no big deal.

But, the thing with M:S is that you are in your own pod, very sheltered in your own seat. Once you're belted in, you really can't move much or even look side to side. So your DH has no way of really comforting your child if he doesn't handle it well and if he does get scared. And chances are that he could. Even in the tamer version. It's dark. You're in a very tight, confining space. The effects are very realistic. The simulation is that you're taking off on a space mission that gets dangerously out of hand before it all wraps up with a happy landing. Do you think your three-year-old will happily face that in a dark space where he is essentially all by himself?

BigRedDad
09-18-2008, 09:53 AM
The ride is a giant centrifuge. To get an idea of what it is like, it is a mix between Gravitron and Spider from state carnivals. If your child can handle both of those, then there should be no issue on MS from the ride perspective. The next issue is close quarters. It is tight and you look into a tiny screen. If that is OK for your child, then try the green side. If he handles that OK, maybe try orange.

People typically get sick when they turn their head from the center of force (the screen). The ride has a lot to do with g-forces and confusing the equilibrium.

poohshoneybeejr
09-18-2008, 07:17 PM
I am a huge thrill ride nut and I rode Mission Space 3 yrs ago and I refused to go on it again this past NOvember when we were there. Don't get me wrong, I loved the ride..it was awesome but the feeling I had afterwards was not so fun! I have never felt "bad" after any thrill ride and I was pretty somber and still for about an hour after I got off. Can't imagine how a little one would feel afterwards. I might stick with the milder version and see how he does with that one 1st. Good Luck!

ryca1dreams
09-18-2008, 11:54 PM
3 seems awful young to me, but that is totally your call. This is a centrifuge (as it was pointed out), but you are facing the center instead of the direction of motion, so your inner ear and eyes are really playing tricks with your brain.

If he does ride the orange team, make sure you tell him not to turn his head to the side.

However, I would probably recommend sticking with the green team to make sure he doesn't have space or motion issues.

Belster
09-19-2008, 12:45 AM
I spoke with the DH and thankfully we will not be taking my DS on this ride. Thanks for all of your help.

DigitalDaredevil
09-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Good idea. Not a good ride for a 3 year old.

RBrooksC
09-19-2008, 09:25 AM
I love M:S but I don't think I would take a 3 year old on it. Now, when I go next time and my son is five, I may consider it depending on his temperament. If it is the same as it is now, I am sure he could handle it. However, the way this ride avoids the motion sickness is tricking the brain to think the motion is forward and not in a circle.

That is why one is warned not to look away from the screen. I get motion sick in a car if the conditions are correct. So, the fact I don't get motion sick on this ride says something. However, I do feel really spent when I get off it due to the extreme G Forces on the ride.

If a child can understand to always look at the screen it shouldn't be a problem.

DVC_dad
09-24-2008, 09:47 PM
So my DH wants to take my tall DS3 on this ride. I can recall that some say you get sick:sick: on it. Any opinions? I am worried that this ride will be way too intense for my DS3?!

Yes in fact a child actually died after riding it.

Also a woman died after riding.

However, in spite of these two horrible examples... my wife rode it before there was an orange and green line. "You either get on or you don't" was the only line back then.

She was 3 months pregnant at the time.

Yes our child is a healthy, beautiful boy now. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I let my kids who are tall enough ride it without worry. But still I wouldn't want to act like there is NO risk out of repsect for those who have had problems with the ride. I would guess that your plane ride or car ride to the park has a much greater risk to your 3 year old.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Yes in fact a child actually died after riding it.

Also a woman died after riding.

However, both of the victims had health issues when they rode the ride, including the child so the fault was not the rides.

diz_girl
09-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Since a Mission Space thread has already been started, I'll ask my question here.

My sister and I can both handle SM, BTMRR, SplM and she's been on ToT and RnR (I plan to ride these the next time that I'm there while not pregnant). We are fine on these rides. Both of us got queasy after Body Wars and would never ride it again, nor will we ride Star Tours because of the similar technology. Given these facts, should we be OK on the GREEN version of MS?

I was pregnant during my last trip and could not ride it, so I don't know what to tell her for our upcoming trip. I hope to be pregnant again for this trip :fingers:, so I might not ride it, but she will be able to ride. My DH was fine on MS ORANGE, so my BIL should be too.

Thanks in advance.

brdavis
09-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Both of us got queasy after Body Wars and would never ride it again, nor will we ride Star Tours because of the similar technology.
Hmm. How somebody reacts to a ride is almost notoriously hard to predict, but if you have trouble with "simulator" rides like BW or ST, I'd be cautious about a sim like M:S. Essentially, it's the same idea ("fool" the brain into perceiving a motions that's not there, but giving a hint of that motion in the inner ear and showing the eyes the full motion).

The original question has been answered, but Id have to agree with a blanket "your milage may vary". We *did* actually take our 4 y.o. DS on, and he loved it - so much that we did it several more times that day, and the following trip did a late-night park hopper to EPCOT just to do M:S (ended up doing 6 missions in a row, literally running from the end of one to the beginning of the next - no line at all). He still loves it. My now 7 y.o. DD however I'd not risk it - as she is more likely to become scared, and there is little ability to give a child "deep comfort" on that ride. My DW dislikes the full ride as well, but is OK on the watered-down version (finds it a little boring, actually).

--
Brian Davis

threeh
09-26-2008, 02:31 PM
If you have a small child and opt out of MS there is a really great play area inside right were the lines let out. You have to go inside but it is lots of climbing and fun. Helps to keep the smaller ones busy while the big kids go on MS.:mickey:

MickeyMousse
09-26-2008, 06:42 PM
I'd have to agree by saying IMHO the ride is definitely too intense for a 3 y/o. I was on it with my older DS once when we shared it with a man and his son that looked to be maybe 5 y/o. That kid SCREAMED bloody murder throughout the ride...he was petrified. If there was a pull cord to stop the ride, we would have used it. (why don't they have something like that anyway???) The poor kid was a wreck getting off the ride and outside he was just distraught in his mom's arms. I felt so bad. We saw them a few times in other areas of Epcot and the poor kid looked wiped out.

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-26-2008, 08:46 PM
I spoke with the DH and thankfully we will not be taking my DS on this ride. Thanks for all of your help.

I think that is a very wise decision.
Plus...you want him to have something to look forward to next time, right? ;)