PDA

View Full Version : Random Disney Smell Moment

diz_girl
09-15-2008, 04:19 PM
I just turned on my AC unit at work and the cold, slightly musty air made me think of WDW. I tried to place the exact place in Disney that created the memory in the first place and I think that it's the Contemporary Concourse, at least as I remember it as a kid, or possibly the monorail. Every resort has it's own smell and the CR is no exception. The cold air (we used to go in the summer when I was a kid), the grease from the escalators and the unique smell of the monorail combined to form this smell.

It's just strange that one whiff can transport me back to WDW. I think that I'm growing nostalgic for the CR. Maybe I'll stay there for my next trip (after this December's stay at the WL).

Pop Centurion
09-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Certain BBQ sauces that use liquid smoke as an artificial flavor tend to smell like the dark ages scene on SE.

rkmemkc
09-15-2008, 05:31 PM
:mickey:We are leaving October 2nd and every morning my sister texts us with 19 days and a wake up...etc. I started sending smell reminders....the chlorine smell of the water at Splash Mountain...I know it was already mentioned but I love that smokey smell in the dark ages in SE!!! How about that chocolate chip cookie smell (that they pipe into the street) on Main Street?!? And you cannot talk about smells without mentioning that stomache-turning smell of chili when Stitch belches in Stich's Great Escape :D
Well please write more.....I can't wait!!
:mickey::marg::cloud9::beer::cool:
Plus I have a :party:birthday on the 9th...woo hoo!!!

jonahbear2006
09-15-2008, 05:40 PM
We talked about Disney Smell after our last trip. That there are like 5 smells in Disney, and you smell them everywhere. Every corridor, hallway, and building has this very strange smell, that after a week or so actually starts to cause an adverse reaction to me. Then there is the beachy smell of chlorine and some kind of perfumy smell. Then there is the fire smell you are talking about that is in the rides, it also happens to be in some other odd areas that I have noticed but I can't tell you where, its also on Kali River Rapids. There is the smell of Fireworks, if you have ever stood in Fantasyland and watched them, and then the smell of food. For some reason, no matter what they are serving, all their restaurants smell the same. I think it is the pixie dust they put in the food. (the same thing that keeps you from having diarrhea on property. Binding qualities)

AllDisney
09-15-2008, 05:59 PM
There is something about the AKL. I don't know if it's the wood floors, the rich fabrics, the open pit type fireplace in the lobby or the aroma of Boma's making it's way up from the lower level.
It's a VERY pleasing, comforting smell that we looked forward to, with great expectations, every evening upon returning from the parks:cloud9:

Boojum
09-16-2008, 08:34 AM
I've posted this a few times before, but what the heck:

There's a certain scent in the lobby of POFQ. I don't know if it's an air-freshener, a cleaning product, or what. Anyway, there have been several times when I've walked through my school's library and caught that same scent. I will stop dead in my tracks and stand there inhaling with this :goofy2: expression on my face.

The first couple of times I did it, the librarian asked me what in the world I was doing. I told her, she got a good laugh. Now she doesn't ask--she just giggles at me.

KT1234
09-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one to do this! I have to say, I LOVE that musky, AC/chlorine like smell that Disney has. It's on every water ride (always smell it on Splash Mountain) and I always smell it in Hotels. I am the same way you are, Boojum so don't feel bad! It'sfunny, if I'm out with my sister and one of us smells it, we will actually stop and say "Disney Smell" and the other will immediately know what they're talking about and start breathing it in. lol, What?! :blush:It's how we get through the time between trips! It's ALMOST like being in Disney, right?

That smokey smell on SE is another one that sticks out for me. And, also--the smell in the Universe of Energy with Ellen Degeneres. THe smell of Cinnamon Rolls is another to stick out for me. And the smell and feel of the light mists that are outside some of the rides--mostly TOT for me. My family and I always tend to go during the summer months so It's always that feeling of going from hot to cold.

Tinkerfreak
09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
There is something about the AKL. I don't know if it's the wood floors, the rich fabrics, the open pit type fireplace in the lobby or the aroma of Boma's making it's way up from the lower level.
It's a VERY pleasing, comforting smell that we looked forward to, with great expectations, every evening upon returning from the parks:cloud9:

I know exactly what you are talking about. Our family says it "smells like home" because we always feel so at home at AKL.

beachezncream
09-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Every resort has it's own smell ...

It's just strange that one whiff can transport me back to WDW.

Ah I do that all the time! I got Olay Quench lotion.. and it smelled exactly like the lobby of the AS resorts! I freaked out and told some of my friends and they gave me a look like... :confused: "What the heck Lindsay??? No more disney for you!!!

:thumbsup:

Cinderelley
09-17-2008, 12:05 PM
They're doing some construction at the nurse's station at work. Every time I have to go to the tube system it smells just like PotC. Sometimes I just stand there for a little while and imagine I'm at Disney instead of work. Since there's tarp all around, no one can see me. :blush:

Ropachs
09-17-2008, 03:53 PM
We leave in a bit over a month, and this trip I actually PLAN on taking moments here and there to take deep breaths!

Vicki Mouse
09-17-2008, 04:12 PM
The washrooms by casey's corner. The best cleanest washrooms in Disney. They smell like oranges! I make sure to buy the automatic fresheners at work so when they go off it reminds me of vaction. Sad but true!:confused:

mouseketeer mom
09-18-2008, 06:49 AM
2 random smells,
The restrooms at Target smell just like the restrooms in the MK! This is embarrassing that I know this!:blush:
Also, when my DH burns a certain log in our firepit, it smells like AKL. Love it.