PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Beach?

jrpersinger
09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
How far is the walk from Trinidad South to Centertown? Its not really the 10 min walk I am hearing, is it? That seems crazy!

We are having a very difficult time picking where we want to stay. We really like the idea of the POTC rooms and the kids also love the pool there. But we really don't want to be walking forever to get to the main pool. And honestly, if it weren't for the POTC rooms we wouldn't stay there. So getting a room closer to the main pool would be out of the question.

We are still considering staying at the BW, CR, Poly, AK and WL. And DH actually threw SOG back in the running, even tho it was his idea to not stay there again and to try the deluxe dining.... Ugh!

gerald72
09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Each island has its own pool also. We stayed at Aruba, which is across the bridge from the main pool. 10 minutes sounds accurate, but it's an enjoyable walk, and they also have internal buses to take you there.

JoDisney
09-15-2008, 03:48 PM
The grounds are very beautiful at CBR. It is a large resort and the walks are lovely. BW, AKL and Poly have great pools. You will have a walk depending on where your room is located. The resorts you mentioned are lovely.

badkitty
09-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I thought that I read on a thread here that some of the rooms are Nemo themed. Can anyone confirm?

Would that make a difference for you as to which hotel?

disney100%
09-15-2008, 04:35 PM
The Nemo themed rooms are in the Martinique Village.

We request Aruba or Jamaica because of the walk across the bridge to Old Port Royale. We have stayed in South Trinidad. Though it is very peaceful and quiet, it is quite a walk to get to OPR. Plus, on our last stay (it may be different now), we seemed to be the last ones picked up/dropped off by the buses. We stood on almost every ride going to the parks. We love CBR (staying there again in 33 days), but if we were placed in South Trinidad again, I would request a change of villages. We were without children last time we stayed there, but now with three little ones under the age of 3, the walk would just be too much in addition to the walking we already will do around the parks. Of course, if you want the Pirate theme, then maybe the walk would be worth it to you.

jrpersinger
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Would that make a difference for you as to which hotel?

Thats the problem, we have likes and dislikes about each resort.

Caribbean Beach, it would be the walk to the main pool. Or if as the PP said, being the last on the buses. We have one DD who is very active in most cases (sports, outside, etc..) but hates to walk alot or stand. Now if she could run all the time, she would be fine. However, I don't think me or her daddy would be. LOL I don't want to have to put her in a stroller to go to the pool. And yes, I know each village has its own pool, but the girls will want to go to the one with the slides.

The Boardwalk, we love because of the location and as DH says, the rooms are not overly foo-foo. The other resorts are just resorts we want to stay at. None really outweighing the other. Cost really doesn't factor in, but I have to admit, I have a hard time convincing myself to pay $5000 or more to basically sleep somewhere. We are just so used to staying at SOG now, its hard to make a decision and break away from what we know works well for us (other then their transportation!) and doesn't break the wallet!

We thought it was be easier then this to pick somewhere to stay, considering we will be going back again... and again... and again. So its not like we can't pick one this time, another a next and so on. I swear, we picked our kids names easier then this! :blush:

pixiesmimi
09-15-2008, 06:30 PM
We stayed in Aruba at CBR and it was at least a 5 minute walk just over the bridge to OPR from there so I'm thinking that unless you are sprinting, it would have to be over 10-15 min. from Trinidad South. I haven't timed it though. Maybe someone else has. That is why we changed villages upon check-in when we found out they were putting us in Trinidad instead of Aruba that we had requested. They were able to get us in Aruba afterall. We saw people walking from Trinidad while we were on the bus and it looked like they had quite a walk.

CleveRocks
09-16-2008, 07:23 AM
A couple of things for clarification ...

The pirate-themed rooms in Trinidad South are not specifically POTC-themed, just a generic pirate theme ... not sure if this matters to you, but in case it does I wanted to point it out to you.

More importantly, it sounds like you think that Trinidad South has a pirate-themed pool and that it is separate from the resort's main pool ... not true. CBR's brand new main pool is pirate-themed. Trinidad South, like the other 5 villages, has a very pleasant but very plain "quiet pool." In other words, the pool at Trinidad South is NOT a pirate-themed pool.

And yes, the walk from Trinidad South to Old Port Royale could easily be 10 minutes.

jrpersinger
09-16-2008, 08:14 AM
No, I know that the pool in Trinidad South is a normal pool, which is why I said my kids would want to go to the pool with the slides and why I asked how long the walk would be to the center area..... Not sure how you got that I was confused on that part.....

And yes, I know what the rooms are suppose to look like. I seen the artist pictures, which is what made us want to stay there.

JoDisney
09-16-2008, 01:14 PM
If walking is going to be a problem, CBR is a very large, spread-out moderate resort. Now, even the deluxe resorts you referred to, depending on where your room is located, there will be walking. For example, at AKL, we were given a savannah view room at the back of the resort. I loved it. I preferred the walk and our room was lovely and secluded with an outstanding view of the animals. It was early this summer and our reservation was for a standard room. To our pleasant surprise we were upgraded to a savannah view. Previous summers we stay at WL or POLY. We always reserve a courtyard view at WL. We love to have a view of the pool and geyser. To me the walk was not that bad to the pool. We have not been in a room very far back. MK is a boat ride away. POLY (a monorail resort) was great, again, it depends where your room and bldg. is located. We were near the main pool and ceremonial house. It was lovely. Maybe looking at "Info Central" above will help you see the size of the resorts and help you with what is really important to you.

brian2000boston
09-16-2008, 11:20 PM
We just got back tonight. Couple issues we had with this resort and why when we booked our nbext trip today we decided to go with a different hotel.

1. The place really is massive, if you have small kids, like we did... 3.5 year old, GOOD LUCK! not fun to walk carrying them the long distance when they are crabby or sleeping.

2. Bus service. So it is nice they don;t share bus service with other resort however, they mau as well be when there are 7 bus stops!!! yeah way fun when standing on the bus with a kid in your arms after 15 hours inthe park.

Dont get me wrong, this was a nice hotel, just not with little ones. Good luck

jrpersinger
09-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Brain -- Thanks for the review. You hit on the main concerns I had.

We actually decided a few nights ago that we were going to go with the Contemporary Resort with a MK View. It is somewhere I have stayed before, its on the monorail line and close to MK, which we almost always end up at every night.

Thanks Everyone for your replies!